PDA

View Full Version : > Representing multiple chapters in army., Is this beardy?

MrWoten
14-02-2009, 21:18
I've got a lot of bits and stuff for other chapters and founding Legions. I was thinking about making a Crusade army drawn from a variety of chapters. Rules-wise they'd be C:SM but model-wise I might have Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, Black Templar, Blood Angels, etc. tailoring each squad, vehicle or HQ choice to a particular chapter. Would this be grounds for someone to call foul?

alextroy
14-02-2009, 21:23
As long as the models are WYSIWYG, what can anyone complain about except for your choice of army theme?

sigur
14-02-2009, 21:28
...except for your choice of army theme?

Well, isn't that the whole question? ;)

If it has no consequences rules-wise, I'd be okay with it. Just make sure they all have the same campaign badge.

MrWoten
14-02-2009, 21:33
Well, isn't that the whole question? ;)

If it has no consequences rules-wise, I'd be okay with it. Just make sure they all have the same campaign badge.

They will. I decided to do this because I couldn't decide what color I wanted to paint my army and my short attention span wouldn't allow me to model and paint them all with the exact same theme..

trigger
14-02-2009, 21:58
i would not use the chaos codex , use the marine one. And in answer to you question , if you dont use army specific rules then no its not beardy, in fact it is quite a good idea.

Clang
14-02-2009, 23:19
So long as none of your army uses any chapter-specific rules, I can't see any grounds for complaint. Bonus points if you give them all a campaign badge or similar to make them look a more cohesive force and avoid that 'army shoved together five minutes ago out of random spare models' look :)

march10k
15-02-2009, 09:27
i would not use the chaos codex , use the marine one. And in answer to you question , if you dont use army specific rules then no its not beardy, in fact it is quite a good idea.

C:SM = codex: space marines
C:CSM = codex: chaos space marines

;)

Maine
15-02-2009, 09:31
I've got a lot of bits and stuff for other chapters and founding Legions. I was thinking about making a Crusade army drawn from a variety of chapters. Rules-wise they'd be C:SM but model-wise I might have Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, Black Templar, Blood Angels, etc. tailoring each squad, vehicle or HQ choice to a particular chapter. Would this be grounds for someone to call foul?

Absolutely legal. If you aren't mixing codexes and follow standard FOC and C:SM rules, then there is absolutely nothing with this plan that violates the letter or spirit of the rules. What color schemes the models are painted, what badges they have, what you call them, doesn't matter, as long as it's clear to the opponent. Your opponent as no right to complain for regular games. If your Termies are Deathwing, and your Landspeeders and Bikes are Ravenwing, and your Tactical Marines are Ultramarines, great, more power to you!

This isn't even getting into 'counts as' territory, really. Counts-as can go a lot further - for example, it would be legal to model up a close-combat Tau army using counts-as Tyranids - "Those Crisis Suits with giant chainsaws and extra armor plates count-as Tyranid Warriors with scything talons and extended carapace"

Reaver83
15-02-2009, 10:08
Think this came up last month. Go for it

isidril93
15-02-2009, 11:07
well dark angels chaosy are the fallen, who are basically robed marines.

Filthy O'Bedlam
15-02-2009, 11:13
I would really enjoy seeing this army arrayed against me on the table. Sounds like a great Idea; Go for it and please post some pictures.

Cheers, Filthy

kabum
15-02-2009, 12:03
After reading all the post I find that some pictures will be nice to see. Completly agree after Filthy O'bedlam.

EVIL INC
15-02-2009, 13:51
I see no problems with it. I wouldnt want it to use myself though. Of course thats only because of the imagery. To me it wouldlook like you had just bummed a bunch of various models off several buddies to slap an army together with no rhyme or reason. Badges would tie them together but from the players "god view" they would have to be huge honking badges to visually tie them together.
For badges, I would suggest something very plainly visible such as all models having the "badge" as an entire shoulder pauldren or something.
Good luck and post the pics in this thread. :)

Wiseman
15-02-2009, 14:01
If its the different parts you like, maybe do them as a Deathwatch theme, that way you can use all the parts, paint the shoulders for each chapter, so get a bit of variety, and still have it retain an overall theme.

Gwedd
15-02-2009, 14:23
yes indeed, these sorts of armies were discussed years ago by various GW types as a way to put an army together that represented a Crusade force built up from assets contributed by each chapter.

Basically, you use the vanilla Marine Codex rules. The key is, as others have said, an identifying mark to tie the army together. The two suggestions that were made in the way back were to have each model have either an indentical shoulder pad in a standard colour, or to have all the Marines wearing the same colour helmet. Easy enough to do, and shows plainly that they are all part of a combined arms team.

For example, each model could have it's right shoulder pad done entirely in white, and then, for the vehicles, use a wide white stripe on each to denote it being part of the force. You could also simply paint all of the helmets white, or red or whatever.

Good idea. It keeps you painting because it's interesting, and you don't feel burdened by having to paint an entire army in the same scheme. It's not something I would do, but since the idea is to have fun, then I encourage you to go for it.

Respects,

Snotteef
15-02-2009, 15:32
This was a normal option in the second edition Ultramarine codex. I say go for it. I prefer my models to have the same color scheme (even my eldar aspect warriors use the craftworld color scheme over aspect color scheme), but if you like the look, go for it. There is NO way it could be interpreted as beardy, because you are not taking advantage of the rules in any way. Make sure to have the same bases (preferably something distinctive) across the army to tie them together; that can make a huge difference in army appearance!

I too hope you'll post pics.

Raellos
15-02-2009, 16:06
Go for a campaign badge on a kneepad.

Ever wonder what all those funny symbols on the IG transfer sheet are? That's right, campaign badges. The Astartes use them too, go look at a couple of old Index Astartes articles.

This would be a great army, and if you do go with it, make sure it gets to the Project Logs, as i want to see how it goes!