PDA

View Full Version : Slann?

silentarrow12
15-02-2009, 01:33
I was just wondering what people think of the new slann and its rules. It seems that they got nerfed so I did not know if people still liked them. I believe I am correct in assuming that they cannot use multiple lores anymore. What kind of success' and failures are you guys finding for him? Lores that people like to use?

Vsurma
15-02-2009, 02:00
I feel they got better myself...

Though they used to be almost immortal at T5 8wounds, they did also cost 600pts.

Now for 350ish points you get a slann with +1 dice per spell, all spells in a lore and a defensive upgrade. That is awsome! Sure it is T4 and 5? wounds or something, so ALOT easier to kill but you can take a TG unit for the points that you save compared to the old 600pts slann.

16TG with slann as BSB with warbanner, that is 4 ranks, bsb, warbanner, normal banner. So 3 extra rannks, 3 banners and a possible out number. You start the combat with 6-7 CR, can't complain! esp since the slann able to have spells that hurt the enemy even if in CC! shhhiiiit.

Although it was awsome to have multiple lores, I loved it! very rarely you got 2 of the best spells of different lores. Still having all spells in 1 lore tends to do the trick since you can choose AFTER you see the opponents army etc.

I can definately live with 1 full lore.

I think I will run mine cheap in a TG unit. full lore + 1 dice per spell and possible the disregard 6s off 1 enemy wizard. Cheap and has some def aswell.

dsw1
15-02-2009, 08:57
I used the new slann on my first game with the new lizzies and by god I loved it! The "cannot use 6's" seriously messed up the vamps player, knowing all the lore of light helped also (cleansing fire wiped out over half his army, blood knights included). I think although he has been nerfed a little (being able to miscast :cries:) he has also been made much more practical to use (I will definitely take 2 in 3k now) and has become much more survivable (unless you get hit with a magical flaming attack that bypasses the first rank of a unit and ignores ward saves which would negate ethereal, regen and your ward plus your look out sir rolls).

To be perfectly fair, I did get 12+ irresistible forces in that game (The dice gods loved me that day!) through a combination of second sign from the skink priests and my free dice ;). My skinks also held a vampire in CC for nearly 4 turns before fleeing and getting run down.

Onidan
15-02-2009, 09:29
Overall I like the new Slann slightly better than the old Slann.

Cons of the new one are being able to miscast, only having one lore, loss of +1 to dispel and cast and the lesser W and T.

Pros are way cheaper (I only used 4th Generation Slann in 6th Edition, so 365 pts before any items, the new Slann costs 325 pts before items, which are not really neccessary for him in 7th Edition, in my preferred constellation and has one of the powers that made 2nd Generation so great), no large target anymore, US3 (both together make him far more surviveable against shooting if with TG), won´t take more than one slot and I like the new telepathy rules better than the old ones for the most part.

For me the pros overshadow the cons, so I´m quite happy with the new Slann and the new Lizard´s in general, besides some points like the loss of Spawnings (and don´t tell me only Quetzl and Tepok were used, I played a Sacred Host of Tzunki just for the heck of it so for me it matters).

Tlotsqi
15-02-2009, 09:31
Personally i find the new slaan awesome. I don't like very much to play magic, but the new powers allow him to do a lot of thing out of the magic phase.
For example how do you take a building kept by an etheral slaan? How many armies have something to solve this problem?
Not so much. And it's just an example off all the new jokes that you can do.
He stays a very skilled mage, he's stronger in magic defense, the power who negates the 6 of the big ennemy mage is really annoying. And now you can have the rights spells, allowing you to planifie a real magic strategy based on a lore, with the potential to cast the spell efficiently.

I hope my english remains understandable:)

Cragspyder
15-02-2009, 11:13
To be perfectly fair, I did get 12+ irresistible forces in that game (The dice gods loved me that day!) through a combination of second sign from the skink priests and my free dice ;)

This may be why you can't actually use Second Sign of Amul to reroll casting dice :) To hit, to wound, armour saves and ward saves only, sorry friend.

inq.serge
15-02-2009, 13:18
The only problem is that you may only take 4 of the 8 disciplines.

What to take?

Is ethereal, +1PD, MR3 and Reroll miscasts, drums, tepoks plaque and 2 powerstones better than Ethereal, +1PD, MR3, all spells, drums and 3 powerstones for a lone slann?

I must have drums! (Since my new slann (see my sculpt plog, in my sig) is going to be a drummer!) I love the idea of making characters able to be like "Army Battle Musician". I love Music.

huitzilopochtli
15-02-2009, 14:19
Do many people take all four disciplines? I'm planning on only three - free dice, one whole lore and negating 6's. The rest are simply not worth it.

Since a slann is no longer a large target and can take "look out sir!" rolls, the regeneration is a little pointless. If you're really worried about shooting you can give him a 2+ ward for 30pts as opposed to a second 4+ save for 50pts. As for the magic resistance, that's what the negating 6s is for. You can also give your temple guard the plaque of dominion making any wizards who try to fire magic at your slann (from the front at least) stupid. Soul of stone is IMO no match for the cupped hands of the old ones (though it can only be use once), especially since with an engine of the gods you can cast pretty much anything on just two dice minimizing your chances of miscasting.

This just leaves terror causing - which is really only useful against a handful of armies as most have either high ld or ITP guys across the board (dwarfs and khainite elves to mention some examples) - and ethereal which is made a little superfluous since you've wisely chosen to put your slann in a unit of temple guard where he cannot be attacked.

Is there really any point then, in taking any of the other disciplines?

Famder
15-02-2009, 14:28
The MR3 is useful for Slann because it is transferable to the Temple Guard unit. While negating 6's is nice not having to spend DD to protect the Slann's unit is also great.

Tlotsqi
15-02-2009, 15:12
I must have drums! (Since my new slann (see my sculpt plog, in my sig) is going to be a drummer!) I love the idea of making characters able to be like "Army Battle Musician". I love Music.
And "Butterfly ball"?:)

and ethereal which is made a little superfluous since you've wisely chosen to put your slann in a unit of temple guard where he cannot be attacked.

The goal of my post was to show that you're not forced to play the frog in a conventionnal way. The new powers, authorize him a lot of ways to play it.
Alone with ethereal and other well thought stuff is one of these new options.
And this is why I love this new slaan, he's full of surprise and he can be very usefull without to cast a spell: imagine him stopping a steam tank for example, while casting purifying light and kicking him with its magic wand:p

huitzilopochtli
15-02-2009, 16:16
The goal of my post was to show that you're not forced to play the frog in a conventionnal way. The new powers, authorize him a lot of ways to play it.
Alone with ethereal and other well thought stuff is one of these new options.
And this is why I love this new slaan, he's full of surprise and he can be very usefull without to cast a spell: imagine him stopping a steam tank for example, while casting purifying light and kicking him with its magic wand:p

Fair point - it would be an interesting way to halt a large monster simply because he couldn't wound you. My only concern would be that such tactics would be highly circumstantial. There are plenty of models out there which would be able to catch a lone slann (it not being a very nimble creature) and kill it. As a result, though the slann can now be played in a wide variety of interesting ways they are not all very practical and I believe most people will revert to the traditional slann in his TG block blasting magic left right and center.

That said there's no denying that the disciplines have made the slann more flexible. Though we will certainly see a "standard" combination of upgrades - free dice + cancel 6s + one or two others - I look forward to seeing adventurous players trying out unlikely ones in the hope of catching everyone off guard.

@Famder - Perhaps you're right. MR3 might be useful like that, especially when stories of TG units with slann in them being completely obliterated by the no.6 tzeentch spell are not unheard of.

Necromancy Black
15-02-2009, 23:15
2+ ward save, Regeneration, immunity to mundane attacks. You've then go 2 more disiplins to choose from, I usually go All Spells and +1PD but MR(3) is useful.

What do you do with this Slann? Run him by himself. This is around 500 point of point denial, more with BRB and magic items. Drop the +1 PD for MR3 and get some powerstones, works just as well. The MR(3) is really only there for things like Pit of Shades, everything else has a ward save and regeneration to get through. Plus, as he's not a large target but has LOS like one, you can sit him behind your army lines, giving them the extra LD and BSB.

A good spell caster, safe as possible, giving your units Ld increases and the BSB for re-rolls. All that and 500+ VP your oppanant is going to very hard press to get any of.

Tlotsqi
15-02-2009, 23:34
Take care with the MR, there is a Q&A by Alessio who says that your opponent can use the MR of your unit to dissipate a spell cast by you on this unit.
For example if you cast bear's anger on your MR3 slaan, your opponent can add 3 dice to his roll...
It was a big shock for us, but Alessio is the boss.

Necromancy Black
15-02-2009, 23:58
Take care with the MR, there is a Q&A by Alessio who says that your opponent can use the MR of your unit to dissipate a spell cast by you on this unit.
For example if you cast bear's anger on your MR3 slaan, your opponent can add 3 dice to his roll...
It was a big shock for us, but Alessio is the boss.

What? Where the hell is this?

silentarrow12
16-02-2009, 01:08
Does the slann have a 360 line of sight? And can he take a look out sir rol since he is not a large target?

Necromancy Black
16-02-2009, 05:24
Does the slann have a 360 line of sight? And can he take a look out sir rol since he is not a large target?

No, he is a monster, and therefor has normal LOS. More to the point, he isn't US1.

Also Being a Large Target has nothing at all to do with Look Out Sir!. Read the rule again and the answer will be clear.

Tlotsqi
16-02-2009, 08:24
What? Where the hell is this?

here:

Q- Si j'invoque un sort sur une de mes unités bénéficiant
d'une Résistantce à la Magie, mon adversaire pourrait-il
utiliser cette Résistance à la Magie pour augmenter le nombre
de dés lancés pour son jet de dissipation ?
R- Hum… Il semble bien que cela soit tout à fait possible si on
se réfère à la manière dont est rédigée cette règle… Nous
n'avions jamais envisagé la Résistance à la Magie ainsi, mais
cette vision nous semble amusante et nous allons donc
laisser la règle en l'état.
translation (just the answer, you know the question^^):
"It seems to be possible when we read how the rule is written...We never have seen the MR like this, but this sight looks funny, so we're going to keep the rule as it is."
It's an unofficial answer, it can change. But this is the idea of Alessio when the question was asked. So it could become official...

huitzilopochtli
16-02-2009, 14:18
A good spell caster, safe as possible, giving your units Ld increases and the BSB for re-rolls. All that and 500+ VP your oppanant is going to very hard press to get any of.

OK, I take it back, this will work. :p

Lord Khabal
16-02-2009, 14:40
That MR answer is weird. But it makes sense though...