PDA

View Full Version : Weapon for a Scar Vet...

Volker the Mad Fiddler
15-02-2009, 08:38
with the Maiming Shield, to be a CR generator in an army that doesn't have many can openers, but multiple units of Saurus

Sword of Battle
Sword of Might
Burning Blade [to concentrate on armour saves and the proliferation of regenerating foes]?

Any opinions welcome [especially with reasoning provided].

Roxors45
15-02-2009, 13:26
with the Maiming Shield, to be a CR generator in an army that doesn't have many can openers, but multiple units of Saurus

Sword of Battle
Sword of Might
Burning Blade [to concentrate on armour saves and the proliferation of regenerating foes]?

Any opinions welcome [especially with reasoning provided].

Depends on where he is in your army. If he's on foot in a unit of Saurus the Sword of the Hornet is good because he can get 4 attacks off before those lances charging you can do any damage and possibly he can kill a couple. Or go maiming and the Sword of Battle for mass attacks, looking like 6 at strength 5. This would work better on a cold one to give him some movement and armor save too (and fear and another S4 atack). Or you could pop him on a cold one with light armor (2+ save there) give him a n additional handweapon Venom of the Firefly Frog (poisoned and magic attacks now with those 5 attacks) and have enough points to give him a ward save.

Not a fan of the sword of might on him because you can get it cheaper with a GW or halberd and save his 50 pts for Cold one armor or something. Hope these ideas help

Drayken
16-02-2009, 01:36
I have a preference for the burning blade. Since it's cheap, you can still buy an enchanted shield, or go for the 5+ ward save talisman. Either way, you get a nicely protected scar-vet who can dish some damage without getting killed too easily.

19LiamTaylor90
16-02-2009, 11:42
Or you could pop him on a cold one with light armor (2+ save there) give him a n additional handweapon Venom of the Firefly Frog (poisoned and magic attacks now with those 5 attacks) and have enough points to give him a ward save.

Just like to say if you mount him on a cold one you cant then give him an additional hand weapon unfortunately.

I like to give mine a great weapon and the item that gives him the 20" flight move bound spell, one trick pony but in a magic heavy army can take the opponent by surprise.

Although I did this charged him into a chariot with a chaos lord in, not the smartest move I know but I thought I'd get rid of the chariot with my str 7and leave the guy on foot to be blasted or shot at. Anyway 4 missed attacks later, hitting on 3's, my hero then died pretty sharpesh and gave the chaos lord a 4+ ward save and whatever else comes from a roll of 12 on EotG table. :cries:

Coram_Boy
16-02-2009, 11:47
I think that the best thing to do if you have the SoS flight move, don't use it on the first turn so your opponent doesn't think that it's there, but on the second turn at the end of your magic phase, use it after they've lost their dice, and go somewhere that they wouldn't have expected :D

Roxors45
16-02-2009, 15:57
Just like to say if you mount him on a cold one you cant then give him an additional hand weapon unfortunately.

I like to give mine a great weapon and the item that gives him the 20" flight move bound spell, one trick pony but in a magic heavy army can take the opponent by surprise.

Although I did this charged him into a chariot with a chaos lord in, not the smartest move I know but I thought I'd get rid of the chariot with my str 7and leave the guy on foot to be blasted or shot at. Anyway 4 missed attacks later, hitting on 3's, my hero then died pretty sharpesh and gave the chaos lord a 4+ ward save and whatever else comes from a roll of 12 on EotG table. :cries:

Ugh, amatuer move on my part. And I knew that rule too, like the extra +1 save for infantry on foot. Good pick up Liam.

Another build is put him on a cold one (for fear, movement, armor and the extra attack) and give him the Enchanted Shield light armor (0+ armor save! :)) Bane Head and Burning Blade of Chotec. The burning blade helps against Forest spirits and high armor Saves (essentially -4 now including your S5) helping cut through anything. The bane head is a nasty combo in that the Burning Blade will most assuredly help you get though that model's armor to get those double wounds. I've taken out expensive Generals with this 160 pt monster.

Gaargod
16-02-2009, 19:16
Great weapon, light armour, shield. Done

Its a hero for under 100points with a 4+ armour save and 4 WS5 S7 attacks, who can go turtle and get a 2+ armour save instead.

Yes, there is a lot of stuff you can give him, but why add unnecessary points? Maybe a 5+ ward save if you want him to die less. Personally i stick them on a cold one as well as the stuff above- admittedly, you go down from S7 to S6, but that's still good enough to stack most things silly with a better armour save and he makes an excellent leader for cold one rider units.

Roxors45
16-02-2009, 20:45
Great weapon, light armour, shield. Done

Its a hero for under 100points with a 4+ armour save and 4 WS5 S7 attacks, who can go turtle and get a 2+ armour save instead.

Yes, there is a lot of stuff you can give him, but why add unnecessary points? Maybe a 5+ ward save if you want him to die less. Personally i stick them on a cold one as well as the stuff above- admittedly, you go down from S7 to S6, but that's still good enough to stack most things silly with a better armour save and he makes an excellent leader for cold one rider units.

Unnecessary points if it was indeed unnecessary. The reason I give him the Blade of Chotec is to take out heavy knights (a commong threat to spear saurus of whom he rides with) and other things susceptable to flaming attacks (trolls treeman and TK.) Enchanted Shield makes a heavier unit come his way to take him out (to get by his 0+ save) which hopefully lures it into losing on CR and wounds done by my numerous attacks. Its all tactics baby. Try it ;)