PDA

View Full Version : Strangest sacrificial unit?

Vote Kantor
15-02-2009, 09:54
Hi,
My friend Daver X (new account today) uses 80pt broadside battlesuits as a sacrifice, and it works, it is deadly, but it also draws my fire like a magnet and he really dosent care? (weird huh)

So i was wondering, What is the weirdest sacrificial unit you've ever seen?

Thanks

Daver X
15-02-2009, 10:00
this is because a single squad for gaurdsmen armed with only lasguns can kill it in one round of shooting but they are good at killing tanks

Vote Kantor
15-02-2009, 10:01
Still, dont disturb the thread, it will be an interesting topic

ANY UNITS WELCOME

holmcross
15-02-2009, 10:48
Elite scything talon Carnifexes. I have no real intention or expectation for them to kill anything, but my god do they draw fire.

I don't know if that classifies as odd, though. Its kinda the point behind them.

Vote Kantor
15-02-2009, 10:51
No, its a large, powerful, expensive(ish) model, it draws fire and can easily kill an imperial guard/tau squad, therefor, im happy,

Next please

Chaplain Mortez
15-02-2009, 10:58
For me, any sacrificial unit is anything not in the troops section of my army list.

As far as I'm concerned, it's my individual marines who do the most damage and complete objectives. Predators, dreadnoughts, rhinos, chaplains, etc. etc. are just there to make sure the rest of my army is still functioning.

I guess anything I designate as a support unit is sacrificial...

Vote Kantor
15-02-2009, 10:59
Good, good

Keep it coming

njfed
15-02-2009, 11:14
My twin lash princes. I only use 2 oblits and no plague marines so I don't play the standard cheese. My army is built to fight without the lash, but as long as it is there the enemy tends to have blinders to everything else.

FBI
15-02-2009, 11:15
Orkz: a trukk with meganobz.
Blast it flat out into the enemy centre. they will want to kill it and they will, but it needs so much firepower to destroy the trukk and the meganobz. The meganobz will die, but da rest of da boyz will kill all opposition.

Vote Kantor
15-02-2009, 11:17
haha love the one with the nobs,

Keep em coming

pablofiasco
15-02-2009, 11:23
Ogryns, small-ish unit (3-6 or so)
sooo many people in my area have jsut never faced them, and asusme, based on model and gun size, that they must be something they have to prevent reaching thier lines.
if i can advance them up threw cover, they are normally good for absorbing about 2 rounds of fire that would otherwise be aimed at my tanks
(heh, i can remeber one tau player saying something along the lines of "dear god they have HOW many wounds each?, and strenght What?")

Reaver83
15-02-2009, 11:23
There are no sacrificial units in my army, just some who's purpose is to die. I find my blood thirster does an excellent job

Vote Kantor
15-02-2009, 11:29
Great, great

Actually, when Dave fields his etherial, its even more sacraficial then his broadsides
(if he dies, all tau get prefered enemy)
He plans to field aun'va? is it, because if he is alive all tau get stubborn (not much i know) but if he dies then all tau get furious charge and preferred enemy, thats shooty infantry that have str4 attacks that hit on a 3+, OUCH

Zujara
15-02-2009, 11:32
I find a Great Unclean One works well to draw a ton fire away from my Bloodletters and Bloodcrushers before he dies, something about a greater daemon provokes a large response from a lot opponents.

Vote Kantor
15-02-2009, 11:34
HaHAHAHAHA

Perfect

Aegius
15-02-2009, 12:17
In my guard army it is my leman russ thunderer. In my marine army it is my drop-podding dreadnaught.

MajorWesJanson
15-02-2009, 12:33
5 man combat squad of sternguard with 2 las cannons. seems to draw an inordinate amount of fire. Not really intended as a sacrifical unit, but it just turns out that way, and I roll with it.

MrGiggles
15-02-2009, 12:36
My Lootas are the green sacrificial lambs without peer. I've only a single unit of them and they get treated like a single unit of Lootas pretty much all the time. Rather a shame really since I enjoy shooting with them. Still, I can pretty much plan on them getting popped in the first round or so which leaves my other units mostly fire free.

MasterDecoy
15-02-2009, 13:06
Great, great

Actually, when Dave fields his etherial, its even more sacraficial then his broadsides
(if he dies, all tau get prefered enemy)
He plans to field aun'va? is it, because if he is alive all tau get stubborn (not much i know) but if he dies then all tau get furious charge and preferred enemy, thats shooty infantry that have str4 attacks that hit on a 3+, OUCH

yeah, but having half your units start to fall back next turn isnt exactly a good thing IMHO

TheEndIsHere
15-02-2009, 13:10
OP, are you trying to bump up your post count by saying "YES CONTINUE" between every post?

My friend thinks he is smart and uses a Twin-linked Fusion Blaster SHAS' O (most expensive Tau commander, with BS 5, a twinlinked 1 shot weapon-.-) against me using an all infantry force, the only thing he accomplishes is killing a warrior and not allowing me WBB and ACTUALLY give a target to my Warrior rapid firing, then getting assaulted, great job for a 1XX point commander...

Wasting an HQ slot, where he could use an elite, and the bad thing is, this is NOT his compulsory HQ choice, as he uses another Shas' O...

D-End

EVIL INC
15-02-2009, 13:43
I have used theogryn unit and it worked great when I did it.
I sometimes use a plain old 2 CCW dready or two in mychaosarmy to draw fire. They diebut they do draw a lot of enemy fire away from the dangerous units I have that I dont have to worry about attacking my own guys.

Ironmonger
15-02-2009, 14:30
In my Marines, I guess my Land Raider. I don't really care if it bites it, I throw it out there to suck up fire while my Tac's get get in position. In the process it usually pops a tank or two on it's own, as well as mowing infantry.

For my Ad Mech: infantry:evilgrin:

Hicks
15-02-2009, 14:36
In an attempt to protect 2 carnifexes and a bunch on destroyers (multiplayer game) from 2 penitent engines and a chaos bike lord with more bikes, I blocked the only passage that led to them with an already wounded dakkatyrant.

My opponents laughed and charged him calling me dumb because fexes are so much stronger and tougher... well they discorevered that against penitent engines having I5 is better and the chaos dudes still needed 4's to hit and 6's to wound. I didn't expect him to live to be honest, but that tyrant that was intended as a sacrifice ended up slaughtering the opposition.

IronNerd
15-02-2009, 16:48
Not many agree with my use of them in my Tau army, but they are AWESOME! Two suits with TL Flamers and Fusion Blasters deepstriking. They are super-cheap and have won me entire games by themselves.

Johnnyfrej
15-02-2009, 16:55
My Inquisitor's Land Raider seems to draw a lot of fire even when he isn't inside it :D

Bunnahabhain
15-02-2009, 17:14
A Demolisher.

It draws a ridiculous amount of fire, so leaving the hell hounds and standard russes mainly unscathed, when the demolisher is no more deadly aginst most targets.

AngryAngel
15-02-2009, 17:18
Every single space marine I have. When it comes down to it, they are all expendable and if they don't hit the boradside of a barn, they're all gonna die.

Ironmonger
15-02-2009, 17:22
A Demolisher.

It draws a ridiculous amount of fire, so leaving the hell hounds and standard russes mainly unscathed, when the demolisher is no more deadly aginst most targets.

Was gonna say that too.;)

buzz631
15-02-2009, 17:50
my land raider prometheus with extra armour when the oppenent see's 4 twin linked heavy bolters they just look at me as if to say ha ha im going to destroy that first sometimes they have even mistaken it for a crusader lol, it gives me plenty of free time to move my troops and elites into a nice killing position or clode combat with my drop pods its great.

carldooley
15-02-2009, 18:18
personally, when the new SM codex came out I built a Crimson Fists list with an ironclad dreadnought with 2 heavy flamers and a deathwind equipped drop pod, to drop on my opponent's troops; whole lots of burny goodness.

I'm considering switching it out for a Land Raider with extra armor.

Ben
15-02-2009, 18:21
Demon prince with wings and mark of khorne. Moving it into cover but close enough to get a charge in next turn seems to concentrate your opponenet mind wonderfuly, and gets them to ignore the rhinos full of marines creeping forward.

Madfool2
15-02-2009, 18:47
In my Space marine army (Marines exemplar). I've only 750pts and none of my units are sacrifical, of course, all I have is 3 troop units and a HQ, so I can't really afford to get them brutally murdered by gigantic monsters or bayonet wielding dudes with cardboard armour.

noodle-j
15-02-2009, 19:57
i wouldn't call them sacrificial, not by a long shot, but the amount of fire that gets pumped into my death company is unreal, same for every BA player prob but it isnt half funny to watch them pass all theyre saves and FNP

genestealer_baldric
15-02-2009, 20:19
genestelers they can be made expensive but very good and i know as soon as they hit the table then they will get shot to tiny little pieces :(

Shangrila
15-02-2009, 20:44
Bikers,speeders or sentinels.

Edit thought it said strongest.

My thunderbolt seems to be the strangest ive seen.

havoc626
15-02-2009, 21:23
I always run a Sacrifical Necron Lord against most armies I play. I give him Warscythe, D. Body, Ress. Orb and Phylactery and BH he lasts a long time. I most often play IG and he kills a tank or two, plus several guardsmen, before finally biting the dust, and by then I usually have my Destroyers close to him, if not the rest of my army. Several times he's stood back up with 3 wounds, too. My opponent wasn't too happy about that, as once he did it 3 times in one game. :D

Gensuke626
15-02-2009, 22:20
10 Lootaz. I know some folks who actually rely on the things, but so far all I can say about Lootaz is that they make alot of noise, they scare the crud out of noobs and they're not good for much else.

rintinglen
16-02-2009, 01:37
I use scout bikes in my SM army--80 points with cluster mines, T5, they draw a lot of fire power and kill things sometimes even when they have shuffled off this mortal coil.
I throw them forward behind cover so the enemy has to move to shoot at them and then try to dart away with the survivors (or assault, if it is a unit of fire warriors or a heavy weapon equiped IG squad.) Plus, The hesitation of opponents to move into cover to get to an objective for fear of stepping on the mines is enjoyable.

Amornar
16-02-2009, 02:27
My 10 kroot worth a wooping 70 points. They just sit in terrain and shoot out in pillbox formation. Its amazing how many people send a unit after them. I have even had someone turn units around to go after them after a really good round of shooting and I took down several marines.

Reinholt
16-02-2009, 03:33
My predator. Armor 13, autocannon, storm bolter - 70 points. I run it in front of my transports so that you are either firing at obscured transports with your anti-tank or you are trying to blow up a tank that is low on the lethality list and high on the annoyance list.

It's the perfect lead wall for my rhinos and bikes; likewise, quite a few people have been very surprised when I will aggressively tank shock right through the middle of units and lines with it afterwards.

I expect the tank to die every game; it's a pleasant surprise when it doesn't, and likewise, it makes a perfect sacrificial unit because I'm taking it purely for mobility and durability to protect my other units, but it has just enough firepower that people don't want it sneaking behind their vehicles or tank shocking key units off objectives.

Private Ginger
16-02-2009, 04:07
My termie chaplain.

TheOverlord
16-02-2009, 04:09
Chosen :D

Honestly cause they aren't worth the effort keeping alive after they've dropped the termies in.

Vote Kantor
16-02-2009, 07:19
OP, are you trying to bump up your post count by saying "YES CONTINUE" between every post?

No, i was actually just showing enthusiasm,

i have, one i forgot to mention earlier
my lascannon teams, these guys have sharpshooters and cameoline, yet (for no reason at all) they always miss everything, they do soak up heaps of shots though, and they are almost impossible to be killed with small arms fire
I still wish they could hit though...

P.S. keep em coming

sid13
16-02-2009, 09:32
i like that predator idea, that might work where I play a lot.

Termies, for me, seem to be a sacrificial unit. Don't have to kit them out or anything, and they always soak up huge amounts of fire. Added to the fact that I'm usually not facing too many AP2 templates to off them off fast makes for some very effective sponges.

Grazzy
16-02-2009, 10:23
My vindicators. You would expect them to do damage with those huge guns but in fact they attract every S7+ gun for 3 or 4 turns, letting my tacticals, bikes etc kill all of the important enemy stuff.

Heimlich
16-02-2009, 10:37
My Vindicator always seems to attract some attention

Remoah
16-02-2009, 12:42
I have none.
For a guard army that's a little wierd i know, but fielding all-infantry i decided that sacrificial units will be hard to come by when i'll be needing all my firepower. I do reliase that my Stormies will be taking a fair amount of fire, however i'm willing to weather that and usually it allows my infantry or tanks to roll on up.

Same with marines, enemy targets one, i try to make it survive so the others can move it on up.

maelstrom66669
16-02-2009, 13:43
My landraider usually takes about all the fire until its down, makes me seriously consider taking two XD.

Thanatos_elNyx
16-02-2009, 17:09
A Winged Daemon Prince for me.

I flew him righ up the middle in fron tof my opponents army and literally everything in his army opened up on it. It was the last unit that managed to take its last wound. If he didn't shoot it it would assault some very squishy stuff and it left my entire army free to move into decent firing positions for my next turn where I layeth down the hurt.

dahli.llama
16-02-2009, 19:13
My Eldar Pathfinders always draw a lot of attention. They can cause problems, but really they don't tend to do much, though. For some reason people dislike their existence on the board.

Earthbeard
16-02-2009, 19:36
I used Typhus and a plaguemarine squad once to district Nightbringer and most of the necron army, so much wind of chaos wiped out 9 destroyers :P.

Expensive decoy, but it worked.

BigBadBull
16-02-2009, 20:11
A Deathwing or raven wing unit.

Both are expensive , but alot of players throw some serious fire , of divert an assault unit to deal with them.

brightblade
16-02-2009, 21:06
Wraithlord with shuricannon charging headlong up the board before going on a shooty tankturning over frenzy tends to draw a heck of a load of attention. :)