PDA

View Full Version : Mutant Chronicles RPG

N'bel
05-12-2005, 15:33
Anyone ever heard of this? I got the original book a few years ago from a box of out of date RPG books from my local store. (I picked it up cause I also own the boardgame version which is probably the best game I've ever played.)

Upon reading that there is a movie in the works based off of it, I dusted it off and began reading it again. I then stumbled upon this: http://www.sebman.com/ which to my glee has a few adventures, character sheets, creature stats, and a lot of information on running a game, all things the book lacks. So has anyone ever played this amazing RPG? Does anybody know where I can find the updated rules?

Zanusiekk
05-12-2005, 20:28
I have the game and some assorted sourcebooks laying around... In my opinion the rules are crap, but the background is some of the grittiest and nicest I've ever seen.
If you want to play it, I suggest trying to find two books in particular:
Algheroth: the Apostle of War (Including Heretic's Hadbook)
And
The Brotherhood

These will give you an insight into the metaphysics of the game, which I believe to be the games strong point. It can make for a nice setting for detective stories or just plain dungeon crawling, but for a richer experience, there are loads of options for a cunning GM...

ThouShaltKill
08-12-2005, 23:31
I ran a few games of it a short while back, and the general consensus was the same as Zanusiekk said - the rules are crap (utter crap) but the background is gritty and dark. So dark, in fact, that at one point one of the player's kids actually got horribly scared and asked us to stop playing, even though he had been in the other room watching TV. Evidently he had been listening in. It was one of my proudest gaming moments. :evilgrin:

N'bel
09-12-2005, 00:17
Crap you say? They don't look too bad to me, but then again I've yet to play. Is there anything in particular you didn't like? It seems it needs a lot of free-wheeling and making things up as you go along.

Bmaxwell
09-12-2005, 01:46
what is the background for them? scary little kids sounds cool

Zanusiekk
09-12-2005, 10:52
The thing about the rules is that they are too clunky to use in an action game. Everything takes very long to do, with lots of checking up damage tables, weapon and armour stats and such. It's trying to be a lot of thing's and consequently fails at them all.
And then, when all is said and done, and you've spent three turns aiming at close range with your customized Bauhaus sniper rifle... You still have a greater chance to hit your target in the toe than in the head...:wtf:
It's not even worth modding, because that would be like trying to get your old 386 up to speed by putting in a new graphics card...

What I would suggest is that you swap out the entire rule system for something better suited for the kind of story you had in mind.
For a low-tech detective game with mystical overtones, try Unknown Armies.
For a down-and-dirty-in-the-trenches war experience, try Godlike.

Both these systems emphasize playability, but still allows for a lot of flavour. Also, they are open enough to allow easy conversion of the weapon stats and even armour values, through the cunning application of certain super powers/magical abilities

Of course, you could just do it the easy way and freeform...