PDA

View Full Version : Studio open day. Huge success.

Harry
15-02-2009, 19:18
Just thought I would post to say what a great day this was.

Lots of new stuff on show and lots of great games on the go.

Just wanted to say thanks to all at GW for organising such an event and to everyone involved for making it such a great day out.

Really nice to be able to chat to everyone in such a relaxed atmosphere.

Onidan
15-02-2009, 19:26
In all seriousness, I have to make a holiday in England someday for the sole purpose of visiting Warhammer World and drinking a beer at Bugman“s -.-

Anyway, nice to hear it was such a success.

warhammergrimace
15-02-2009, 20:40
Yep, it was a good day out, lots of new cool stuff coming oit over the next few months. I will be uploading a video from the footage I shot in the next few days.

love the new plastic greatswords for empire and the Valkyrie, along with new minis for imperial guard.

OLIVERASO
15-02-2009, 21:09
If there is one next year ? ; I will try to come. At least to see England :) .

Harry
15-02-2009, 21:11
It seems to be a day that is enjoyed by the GW folks so I think it is something they will repeat.

the_reaper
15-02-2009, 21:45
I went to one a while ago (the secret one :P) well, not secret, but not well known, i just happened to be in WW.

Its just like a mini-Gamesday, and its free, you cant go wrong, hence why its so successfull

-reaper

Tyron
15-02-2009, 21:47
Shame it was on during the Valentine's weekend.

75hastings69
15-02-2009, 21:51

Do come over, but the pint I had in Bugmans last week was nothing shy of awful!!!

As for the Studio Open day I really am pissed that I couldn't make it, the guys that work at GW are IMO a fine bunch and they always do their best (even though some of us don't always apprciate the end product), I have been enjoying my hobby now for almost 25 years, and by the looks of what news has come out of the Studio Open day I still have a hell of a lot to look forward to....... I'm going to need more cabinets :D

Bregalad
15-02-2009, 23:56
It seems to be a day that is enjoyed by the GW folks so I think it is something they will repeat.
If they really enjoyed it, why did they let the IP commissar make the presentation on the future releases? No wonder that you get more information on Warseer than in that seminar.:rolleyes:

Reinholt
16-02-2009, 03:39
My thoughts:

- The lone complaint I have is that I wish GW was more forthcoming about things on a regular basis. Their word of mouth advertising and excitement of the fan base is a very powerful tool; I don't think they do enough to leverage that, and likewise, I think as long as they caveat what they say with "we are thinking about these kinds of ideas" or "the general thrust is this, but we don't promise anything in specific", they can say things and the fans will not get agitated. Maybe an official designers blog / post on the website? I have seen this done very well before, and have been involved in implementation myself for similar projects in non-gaming spheres. It can be done, and it does work.

- I think the studio day and outreach to the fans is a great idea; I'm glad GW is doing this, and likewise, when a flood of confirmations and new models hit the boards and stores after the event, everyone goes absolutely nuts. I can't help but think this is good for the gamers and good for the company. Win - Win across the board.

- I like that GW is making the literal studio work available to the public for viewing. It helps forge the connection between the players and the game designers that makes people feel like those designing the hobby love it just as much as they do (which they do, and showing it off is a huge benefit).

- I think GW has major potential to take this a step further in the future; a sort of Apple unveiling new products at Mac World kind of frenzy could easily be built up. I hope more innovative marketing like this continues to happen. Can you imagine the insane frenzy that would happen if GW were to reveal truly polished army updates or new units / models / rules at a top-notch presentation at one of these things? There would be rioting in the streets (by men dressed as dwarves, orks, and elves, so that would be one hell of a riot).

Well done, GW, and keep pushing ahead with it.

Harry
16-02-2009, 05:50
If they really enjoyed it, why did they let the IP commissar make the presentation on the future releases? No wonder that you get more information on Warseer than in that seminar.:rolleyes:
Who gave the seminar. (I was too busy chatting and missed it. :D)
By IP commissar I am going to guess Alan Merrett?
I guess the IP commissar is responsible for the message that gets out there.
I guess he knows more about where the game has come from and where it is going than most having been there for a long time and along with Rick guiding the direction of all developements.

Who do you want giving it? The guy that empties the bins?

You do not get more information on warseer in any given half hour period than you get in a seminar. Then there is the quality as opposed to quantity of information that needs to be considered. Half an hour of solid info direct from the horses mouth expalining exactly why they made the choices they have, dispelling myths AND the opportunity to ask questions and get answers to your most burning questions Or endless hours searching through pages of made up stuff, wishlists and endless moaning to glean a grain of information or try and find answers to your questions:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with seminars.

My thoughts:

- The lone complaint I have is that I wish GW was more forthcoming about things on a regular basis. ....
I think they are forthcoming and talk about and show us lots of stuff that is coming. It is just they only do it a few months ahead. This is for the obvious reason that they want to keep the focus and the excitement you speak of on what is happening now or next and not what is happening six months or twelve months down the road. The problem here (on warseer) is that folks want to know whats next and then next after that, then next after that ... their is an unsatiable appitite for knowing whats next which results in folks here talking about things further and further ahead until they start talking about things that are not even happening yet. This just makes it seem like GW arn't very forthcoming. But it only seems that way.

Hellebore
16-02-2009, 07:00
I think they are forthcoming and talk about and show us lots of stuff that is coming. It is just they only do it a few months ahead. This is for the obvious reason that they want to keep the focus and the excitement you speak of on what is happening now or next and not what is happening six months or twelve months down the road. The problem here (on warseer) is that folks want to know whats next and then next after that, then next after that ... their is an unsatiable appitite for knowing whats next which results in folks here talking about things further and further ahead until they start talking about things that are not even happening yet. This just makes it seem like GW arn't very forthcoming. But it only seems that way.

Unfortunately once sources give out information months or years in advance, there becomes an expectation that that is the norm of news and rumours. Give an inch and they take a mile as they say.

Looking at it from an outside perspective GW did what any company does, highlighted the products coming out in the immediate future. There is no point in telling someone about a product 2 years down the line if it means they hold of spending on immediate product in the hopes of another one.

If no rumours showed up on warseer suddenly that GW seminar would be the greatest thing ever. But, people demand and demand and are never satiated.

Hellebore

Harry
16-02-2009, 07:33
The problem they are up against is the huge lead times on projects because of the plastics process. They now have to start a project so far out that if anyone talks about what sculptors are doing in the studio they are talking about something that will not be seen for up to two years.

At any Gamesday or event I always feel very sorry for the sculptors and artists as they are having to talk with interest and enthusiasm about something they finished a long time ago. Often I ask how did you do that and they honestly can't remember. Sometimes thay can't even remember who sculpted a particular mini. Meanwhile they are unable to talk about the projects they are in the midst off and that they are really enthusiastic about right now.
Also some of them are developing so fast that the work on show bears little in common with the work they are now capable of.

I understand the reasons why but it must be very frustrating for them.

Obviously 'back in the day' they could talk about whatever they liked becuase it couldn't go much futher than the chap they were talking to because of the internet didn't exist. Also when it was all metal the stuff was released pretty soon after it was done anyway.

Jedi152
16-02-2009, 08:47
It's great that GW do this sort of thing. It's a shame i couldn't stay for long, but there was some lovely stuff on display and all the usual super-enthusiastic staff on hand willing to chat about it.

Thanks again GW!

Eldorad
16-02-2009, 09:17
Best day I've had with games workshop in ages.

I loved the informality of it. I talked to John Blanche, Jervis Johnson, Aly Morrison, Joe Tomaszewski....

Alll without the crush and rush and screaming kids of gamesday.

Big ups to them for their time and effort, all for free!

Grapeshot
16-02-2009, 09:26

Me touring London this early March and will be making a special trip to WW :) Hope I can find my way there!

OLIVERASO
16-02-2009, 10:56
Sometimes thay can't even remember who sculpted a particular mini.

And sometimes they not remember that they have sculpted an miniatures. ( "Aaaah ? I have sculpted that ? Maybe, I not remember . . . " )

Bregalad
16-02-2009, 11:07
The time frame issue is something GW specific.
If I play a certain fraction in Warmachine and ask when I will get something new, Privateer can easily give me two or three units for the next three months.
If I ask, when will I get new stuff for my Necrons, GW will say, ask again when London is drowned by the climate catastrophe.:rolleyes:
So as a non-Imperial 40k player, I have not much to get from this weekend.

Nothing wrong with good seminars, but we are only halfway from those US GD seminars, when slides showed just the releases of the current month.

But then again, nice that everyone else had a fine time.

Harry
16-02-2009, 11:30
The time frame issue is something GW specific.
If I play a certain fraction in Warmachine and ask when I will get something new, Privateer can easily give me two or three units for the next three months.
If I ask, when will I get new stuff for my Necrons, GW will say, ask again when London is drowned by the climate catastrophe.:rolleyes:
So as a non-Imperial 40k player, I have not much to get from this weekend.

Nothing wrong with good seminars, but we are only halfway from those US GD seminars, when slides showed just the releases of the current month.

But then again, nice that everyone else had a fine time.

Warmachine has four factions? is that right?
Games Workshop has four different space marine chapters alone!
Games workshop has developed 15? armies for fantasy. A dozen for 40K? Hell I can't even keep count of them.

Ask if you can get something new for the next four releases from GW. You will do a bit better then two or three units.
You want to play in a **** pot little world where a few factions occaisionally exchange harsh language be my guest. :D

Me I want to play in fantasy universes full of depth and variety and for that you have to wait a bit longer to get back to each army.

It is not just about your armies. Will it not enrich your gaming experience to see your opponent coming across the table with some of the new Ork and IG stuff we have seen lately? When they get around to Tau, DE, Necrons will you be happy? Should the players of other armies not have their turn to be happy? Others have waited a long time too.

Osbad
16-02-2009, 11:42
Warmachine has four factions? is that right?

Well, strictly speaking yes. In reality though Hordes and Warmachine are closely linked and expected to be balanced with each other. Also there are five factions, not four in WM, if you count Mercs.

So in total 9 factions that need releases. Which is still a ways behind GW, but not so far behind as 4 would imply.

BUT.

PP don't yet do plastic models. And hitherto they have had a "one book for all factions" expansion policy.

Both these factors have helped in the predictability of releases for PP, and are factors that GW has moved beyond because of age and size.

Once PP move into plastics with their longer lead-time (as Matt Wilson indicated will happen) and faction-specific "army books" (again as promised by Matt Wilson) then we may see a release pattern for PP goods that more closely resembles the GW experience.

Its a simple matter of scale and resource management.

GW have gone on record that they closely restrict the visible release window deliberately, because they have found in the past that they got a lot of flack when they promised stuff they then struggled to deliver because of issues that arose. So now they only endorse the release of information when it is 100% guaranteed to happen - i.e. once the presses have started rolling.

Its a pain for the rumour-junkies, but having tried it both ways, GW consider it the lesser of the two evils.

Jedi152
16-02-2009, 12:47
The problem is the internet. Any sneaky rumour that might get out (maybe said to one person by a designer) will soon spread around the internet like wildfire, with people analysing every single aspect. Sales of the current unit/codex/whatever will nosedive and if anything goes wrong and GW has to put the release back/cancel it, you'll tear them apart.

mweaver
16-02-2009, 15:31
Wish I could have gone - sounds like a lot of fun. I certainly have been enjoying it second hand, with the posts and pictures people who did attend have been generously providing.

Astromarine
16-02-2009, 15:48
it's fun to see someone berate GW for the poor information flow and wishing they did something like the stevenotes. Fun as in "oh dear, someone missed the point terribly".

The Stevenote style of presentation works (REALLY well) because whatever Steve talks about, is normally out for sale THAT DAY. He gets thousands of people watching him over the net, builds up some awesome piece of kit, and say "and the apple store has just been updated, have at it". And people do, because they're excited.

So what do people want exactly? More looks behind the curtains, or more excitement over new releases? It's kinda hard to have both. Exactly how excited do you guys think you'll be by the time the Steam Tank becomes available for purchase?

Me, I wish GW did it Steve Jobs style. Just up and go "BOOM, here's a new Dark Elf Dark Rider plastic kit. Available NOWNOWNOW". All due respect to everyone who contributes, but screw the warseer rumors section. :D

Jedi152
16-02-2009, 15:57
GW report and pictures of the day are up. Anyone get caught on film?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=&categoryId=&pIndex=0&aId=13400001&start=1

Harry
16-02-2009, 16:08
I am in one but I don't want to give away my secret identity. :D

Reinholt
16-02-2009, 16:31
Let me clarify what I said earlier to make clear why I think GW doesn't say enough, because what I really mean is they are not saying enough in a deliberate fashion.

Consider three levels of information designers can leak, in ascending order of specificity:

1 - General Ideas
2 - Definite / Precise Items (rules, forthcoming units, etc)
3 - Literal data (the rulebook/codex or sections thereof, pictures of the models, etc)

Given the long development window for plastics, and likewise, the fact that some codices / rules expansions / etc. will take longer than others, I am categorically against making statements of the 2 & 3 categories before they are into that late window. You don't want to show off models only to change them; you don't want to make a bold statement about rules and then change the rule.

However, I think what they do not manage well is disseminating general ideas. If the IP Commissar (or whoever is in charge of speaking for 40k) was able to make some clear general statements, I think that would do a lot to make the community happy. This is the part of the launch process I often see screwed up by multiple companies, and is the one where they can generate a lot of traction by just saying the right thing in a limited but deliberate fashion.

Something like posting on the official GW website: "We intend to produce two or three codices this year. Gentlemen, start your guessing.", "Yes, the Dark Eldar are going to get a new Codex, we just aren't ready to give out the date yet because, honestly, they'd be very disappointed if we didn't let them appear suddenly from the webway to pillage your local gaming stores.", "Not only are we not re-creating the squats, but the next person who asks at a seminar is going to be hit in the head with a metal dreadnought in a sock.", or "The design team has a devious plot in mind for a new expansion, but even our most talented spies have been unable to return with any additional information."

Something like a statement for each army, and a few about the general state of each game just so that the fans know GW is thinking about them and they have a more immediate connection to the design team (and maybe do a monthly mailbag or something with the best questions they get). It's trivial to do (very little effort), but the return is very high as long as you do speak in just generalities, rather than promising things in particular until they are ready.

That's what I mean when I talk about managing customer expectations and communications, and would do a lot to cut off the rumor mill.'s negative side (things like OMGWTFBBQ Y R THE DRK ELDRAR BEEYING DROPED? type posts), while encouraging strongly the positive side.

With all that said, let me re-iterate once more than the studio open day is absolutely fantastic. I'm thrilled to see GW working with the fans and the gaming community to show off how awesome some of their new stuff is (and it is awesome), and that the entire hobby world pays attention to these events.

Well done.

Harry
16-02-2009, 17:24
OK I don't disagree with you.
I am firmly of the opinion that the odd little snippet never did any harm. :D

However, as soon as they do what you suggest (however vague they are) they risk folks stopping buying stuff because they know other stuff they might want more is around the corner and they save their cash.

More importantly the sales guys on the ground might loose there focus and be talking about whats around the corner.They just want to keep everyone excited and talking about what is out now (or next) not down further down the road. If everyone has known about it and seen it months before they have lost that initial 'buzz' of excitement and enthusism has gone.

As Astromarine says. Bad news for the Warseer rumour section. Good news for events like these, WD, and the GW Website.

(...and me back to the modelling and painting section and the Tale of an unfeasable number of painters. :D)

Osbad
17-02-2009, 13:43
A lot of sense

Of course this predisposes GW consider things far in advance and in a logical and consistant fashion. However, there's not a lot of evidence to suggest they do this for long term game development.

Personally I think they just D6 it. And clearly whoever rolled for the Dark Eldar didn't use the shaved casino dice...

lanrak
20-02-2009, 17:24
HI all.
Osbad , that last post was a bit mean toward the staff at GW IMO.

IMO, they just follow orders, if the finacial director(s) want fast injections of cash ,a codex 'SM chapter' is next...or if they want to try to attract new players ,a codex 'new army' is next.
Only when the studio staff manage to influence the 'running order' to try to improve game play, do we get a codex for non SM army 8 +years out of date.;)

I belive this is why GW do not give a running order for codex releases for the next 2 years or so...(They DO know whats in the pipline.)
But if a written record of codex releases constantly pushed back to allow for 'cash injection/demographic widening codexes,'becomes available to consumers, some gamers may become disenchanted with 40k prematurley?

The creativity and artistic flare of the GW studio staff is , as always, a massive inspiration.:;)

If only the GW 'top bods' would allow game development to lead marketing /retail requirements ,rather than the other way around....

Any how , great thread Harry.

TTFN
Lanrak.

Reinholt
20-02-2009, 19:22
I will say this, and I think it is a fair critique:

GW has very strong IP, and has designed a lot of things that are exceptionally cool.

GW has very poor corporate finance and project management.

The result is inconsistent performance; they vary from spectacular to terrible, because while their designers can do a great job, sometimes they don't (not everyone is on target 100% of the time), and sometimes they aren't given the tools to do so. The net result is major variance.

Thus, people ascribe some of what are ultimately structural and command and control issues to the design team. In the end, it all looks the same to most people on the outside, though, which is the risk.

I will say only this - I think GW has succeeded where many other companies have failed in the gaming space, and thus deserve credit for that. Conversely, I think they should have made approximately 1.5 to 2 times as much money as they have this decade, and a series of managerial mis-steps prevented that from happening.

Some good, some bad, as with almost anything.

ctsteel
20-02-2009, 20:36

[searches photos for a person with a pie....] :D

philbrad2
20-02-2009, 21:11
I'll chip with the 'well done GW's' as well. After all they don't have to lay on such and event and they make no money from it (with the exception of the store and Bugman's) unlike UKGD.

Seminar, although a bit tight lipped on info, I love these things. Where can you pose questions direct to several collective 'horses mouths'. Hopefully this is now a confirmed yearly event for GW.

PhilB
:chrome:

Art Is Resistance
21-02-2009, 09:11
Phil; the covers in bugmans were HUGE on the day - given that, we can safely assume they made a profit ;-)

I always think that these events (as with the Forgeworld days) show GW in a positive light - yet someone will still see negatives - 'huh, I didn't find anything out to post on Warseer' was overheard a few times by me.... that's not the point of the day doofus!

sigur
21-02-2009, 09:55

Page three, on top of the Steam Tank.

It was an interesting event and it was nice seeing GW HQ and Warhammer World for once. Retrospectively, the minis hall was a bit of a letdown (would have loved to see some older sculpts and paintjobs) but it was very nice anyway. Bugman's was full indeed. That was a tad annoying. Eventough I enjoyed how stoic the small pen&paper group sat there, really untouched by this whole fuzz around them, and enjoying their D&D/Vampires. :)

I don't really understand why people actually complain. It's not like GW owe us rumors three years before the actual release or anything. I actually didn't expect to see too much new stuff beyond the new "big tank kit" and the stompa kit there and was pleasantly surprised.

Also, I think that it's no real fun or appeal for GW to give out rumors to the community when they always result in irritating threads in 40k/WHFB general or even the tactics forums (and other sites equivalents). I think someone in the Fantasy seminar even mentioned that.

This was my first GW seminar by the way, and I kinda enjoyed it. Only a handful of people and the possibility to ask questions to "the source".

speedygogo
21-02-2009, 11:15
I've enjoyed hearing about the studio open day. Thanks for the info Harry.

Coram_Boy
21-02-2009, 11:27
I do think it would be nice if occasionally GW released a mini without ever showcasing it/telling about it - Just for the suprise. as a poster said, Steve Jobs' method is so successful because he doesn't let rumors about the new models get out - He talks about them at a big conference, and there they are, practically as soon as he's left the room. If GW did that with something like CD's, I bet that they would sell all their CD army books in a week.

philbrad2
21-02-2009, 15:07
It was an interesting event and it was nice seeing GW HQ and Warhammer World for once. Retrospectively, the minis hall was a bit of a let down (would have loved to see some older sculpts and paintjobs) but it was very nice anyway.

The display cabinets (particularly on the 40K side) were strangely empty. I was playing up there with my sons a few days after the event and there still wasn't much in.

I don't really understand why people actually complain. It's not like GW owe us rumors three years before the actual release or anything. I actually didn't expect to see too much new stuff beyond the new "big tank kit" and the stompa kit there and was pleasantly surprised.We see (for 40K) the first real look at the Imperial Guard and a look at two of the biggest kits GW is releasing this year and we're barely 7 weeks into 2009, people were moaning there was nothing of interest for Warseer? Were we at the same event? OK the whole thing wasn't as open as open as the SM stuff was at the event last June but there was more than enough to keep my 'rumourbuds' going for a good few months. All this and we've not even started Gamesday 'season'' yet for anotehr few weeks.

For those of you that know me of old, I've going to UK Gamesday since the early '90's and reporting on the event on the internet, other GW UK events and rumours on here and Portent since the late '90's, so I'll be arrogant and say I'm 'qualified' in what makes a good GW event (in my humble opinion) and both these days have been great events because a) GW doesn't have to stage them b) they give something back to the gaming community for nothing. We put a lot into GW with our purchases and it's nice GW puts something back and for a tenners worth of diesel, for me, its worth the trek up the M42 to have a look what's on offer. I like to know what GW are working on, I don't need to know the intricate workings but I like to find out more as the release draws closer. Planetstrike is coming I know the overall premise for the expansion but none of the nitty-gritty and for this moment in time that's fine. I'll be finding out more as the year pans out. If you look in the new UKWD there's even some hints in there.

GW stopped releasing WIP type stuff ages ago as they say it blunted the 'WOW!" factor of a release and I can sympathise with this sure you want the public to go "WOW KEWL!!!" at their latest release. GW simply can't keep a lid on everything, it's impossible and the speed at which this can be moved around the world is staggering, I was posting via a 3G data connection from my mobile on my laptop an hour into the event last weekend (Bugman's wireless wasn't on, they must have knew I was coming :evilgrin: ) So they now give us some tasters of what to come but enough that they control it. They could have shown the IG codex or even parts of it but didn't, this for me, sharpens the appetite for what's coming along.

Also, I think that it's no real fun or appeal for GW to give out rumors to the community when they always result in irritating threads in 40k/WHFB general or even the tactics forums (and other sites equivalents). I think someone in the Fantasy seminar even mentioned that.

This was my first GW seminar by the way, and I kinda enjoyed it. Only a handful of people and the possibility to ask questions to "the source".I think GW leaks a damned sight more than we know about to stimulate interest. For all their line of "The internet is not representative of the whole gaming community" - whilst true to a degree its s a very vocal group and large than I think GW would have us believe. Especially amongst us genetic anomolies - verteran gamers! News & rumour has always been a favourite aspect of mine and this sort of event feeds it copiously.

The vast majority of people use the internet now and more and more use it as part of their leisure time. GW is a leisure activity (allegedly) so numbers of gamers who use the 'net is going to steadily increase. OK perhaps not joining and following various gaming sites religiously () but the names of Dakka, B&C and BoLS are well known these days. The days of the internet 'few' have gone, and despite GW's sabre rattling they see the internet community as a part of that overall gaming community.

The seminar was kind of muted, as generally the product being shown is much nearer its release date than the IG were. Feb to May is quite a chunk of time for GW cover so I can see why they are being a tad cagey on details. Still, good amount of info and great pics plus they had a good number of the IG models on display. C'mon how many Valkyrie's IG Command Squads have been put on wish lists since the event and the pics got posted?

PhilB

Jedi152
21-02-2009, 18:59
Good to hear you had a good day Sigur.

The cabinets often have empty spots as they're photographing for WD or an Army book. They literally are the models featured in every picture.

Today the Empire models were gone, and the catachans were too, make of that what you will.

IJW
21-02-2009, 19:37
And on Wednesday most of the Skaven & Space Wolves were missing...

Harry
21-02-2009, 20:49
And that, Wade, is how rumours start. :D.

Reinholt
22-02-2009, 00:39
Personally, I heard that Harry is actually an interstellar blancmange.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blancmange_%28Monty_Python%29#7._You.27re_No_Fun_A nymore

blongbling
22-02-2009, 09:17
I belive this is why GW do not give a running order for codex releases for the next 2 years or so...

dont confuse the studio knowing with not telling the general public...two VERY different things

philbrad2
22-02-2009, 10:06
And that, Wade, is how rumours start. :D.

Ain't that the truth!:evilgrin:

PhilB

sigur
22-02-2009, 15:03
The display cabinets (particularly on the 40K side) were strangely empty. I was playing up there with my sons a few days after the event and there still wasn't much in.

I guess there was much of the newer Ork stuff and some IG stuff down in the main room on some displays or maybe they were already doing some photos for WD or something. Anyway, I didn't really mind not seeing 4 Cadian squads and the current Cadian command on display anyway. Same with some other things.

To me, it would be much more interesting if the miniatures hall was much more of a museum than an exhibition room for the latest exploits of the 'eavy metal team. Seeing the various stages of Tyranid design would have been more interesting than seeing around 60 neatly painted Hormagaunts.

Templar Ben
22-02-2009, 16:47
Shame it was on during the Valentine's weekend.

When would be a better time? They do know their market.

Harry
22-02-2009, 17:15
When would be a better time? They do know their market.
LOL

But not with the Nottingham horse fetishists fair the same weekend. :D

Earthbeard
22-02-2009, 18:13
LOL

Curse those horses :P

philbrad2
22-02-2009, 18:18
LOL

So soon after the great horse plague of old London town ... surely not.

I was surprised at the timing as last years event was in June and this years event seemed to be advertised at pretty short notice.

I've emailed them but had no confirmation yet, but can anyone confirm if FW are having their open day this year? It's usually mid-April so not too far off.

PhilB

Templar Ben
23-02-2009, 00:17
LOL

It reminds me of taking my wife to a gaming store on a Friday night. She said that that store would be closed because there can't be any business on a Friday night. I explained to her that the store would be packed because what else are they going to do on a Friday night, take out their girlfriends.

I was right it was packed.

It was then that she realized how much of a nerd I was. :cool:

Grapeshot
23-02-2009, 04:30
To me, it would be much more interesting if the miniatures hall was much more of a museum than an exhibition room for the latest exploits of the 'eavy metal team. Seeing the various stages of Tyranid design would have been more interesting than seeing around 60 neatly painted Hormagaunts.

I like the idea.

Perhaps in future they could also include life size busts of different models. Some could even become so immensely popular as world attractions that it is framed behind a bullet proof glass and well known to the world like the Mona Lisa. Ok, I know it is a bit far fetched, but.... :D How about to be included in Madame Tussauds? :cool:

Harry
23-02-2009, 06:58
Perhaps in future they could also include life size busts ...
Yes ... they could do Rick Priestly, John Blanche, Jes Goodwin.
Hell folks would pay good money and come from miles around.

Then again ... maybe not :D