PDA

View Full Version : A little problem

Vampiric16
15-02-2009, 20:15
No word bearer force is complete without daemons, so I'm planning to have a unit from each god in my larger armies (2000pts+).
Now heres my problem.
10 Bloodletters: About a tenner. Fine. (I have two units already)
10 Daemonettes: Again, about a tenner. Also fine.
10 Horrors: Over 20. Ouch.
10 Plaguebearers: Once again, 20. Double ouch.
So you see my problem. This is where you come in. Do I:
a) Bite my lip and pay up
b) Scour ebay in the hope that I can find cheaper alternatives (no luck so far)
c) Convert some alternatives
d) Something else
Your comments will be appreciated.

Inquisitor Engel
15-02-2009, 20:51
Wait for the second wave of Daemon releases.

Irisado
15-02-2009, 21:01
You could try posting an advert in the trading forum here, especially if you have any figures that others may want in exchange for daemons which they may not want.

Apart from that, if you can't afford to buy the new models, then you may just be better off putting your plans on hold. I have lots of army list updates I would like to make, but I cannot afford to do so. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.

Kurisu313
15-02-2009, 21:01
Hi, vampiric, this is the marine player you walked over with your nids this afternoon :)

I'd stump up for horrors, they're beautiful models, I love mine.

I personally hate plaguebearers and nurgle in general, so I'd suggest zombies or some such.

Master Stark
15-02-2009, 21:11
Mate, an extra 20 isn't even going to be a drop in the ocean compared to how much cash you are going to drop on this hobby in years to come.

Spending the extra cash will mean you get the models you want, when you want them, and will have an army you like the look of without having to compromise.

Worth it.

EVIL INC
16-02-2009, 02:30
You could always play a fluffy army and rely on marines. Even word bearers will always use real marines in favor of daemons when they possibly can. True, they will make use of the things before most of the other legions but that doesnt mean they enjoy using them.

Master Stark
16-02-2009, 21:12
You could always play a fluffy army and rely on marines. Even word bearers will always use real marines in favor of daemons when they possibly can. True, they will make use of the things before most of the other legions but that doesnt mean they enjoy using them.

Fluff schmuff. The 40K universe is a very large place, with plenty of room for niche or focal point armies.

Irisado
16-02-2009, 21:14
Fluff schmuff. The 40K universe is a very large place, with plenty of room for niche or focal point armies.

Err....niche armies would most likely be very much based on background, so I'm not really sure what sort of point you are trying to make here :confused:.

Master Stark
16-02-2009, 21:53
Err....niche armies would most likely be very much based on background, so I'm not really sure what sort of point you are trying to make here :confused:.

That the concept that a Word Bearers force with less daemons is more 'fluffy' than one with more daemons.

Irisado
16-02-2009, 22:06
That the concept that a Word Bearers force with less daemons is more 'fluffy' than one with more daemons.

Okay, now I follow. Thank your for elaborating.

I don't think this is quite what Evil Inc was saying though, I think he was just presenting it as an alternative, as there are Word Bearers scouting parties, for example, which may not include Daemons.

Alessander
16-02-2009, 22:29
try a discount warhammer online store like bitkingdom or warstore. both have free intl shipping

EVIL INC
16-02-2009, 23:28
What I was trying to say is that chaos armies (even word bearers) are more fluffy if they dont have daemons. Going out of your way to include them just because it is a word bearer army is just silly.
True, many of the old "daemon bomb generals" still try to make use of them, but dont fall into the trap of thinking that they are following the fluff.

Bartertown often has people looking to sell daemons.

ChaosReigns
16-02-2009, 23:53
Where are you getting the impression that Chaos Space Marines (Word Bearers in particular) don't use daemons on a regular basis? Word Bearers may see themselves as superior to daemons, but you can hardly say that it would be more fluffy not to use them. In the last codex that was their entire shtick and there's nothing to suggest that their fluff has changed in this newest codex, despite not being able to take anything besides generic daemons.

I'm not saying that a Word Bearers army without daemons is unfluffy per se.

As to the OP's question I would scour Ebay and other websites to see if you can find a better alternative, however, ultimately it might be wisest to just bite the bullet and save up to buy the official minis.

EVIL INC
17-02-2009, 00:05
Yes, the last version of the chaos codex had made all of the legions into bland boring one dimensional steriotypes that many people mistanly believed to be the way it was. Luckily, GW has gone back towards the roots of chaos and reintroduced variety, options and flavor to chaos. I take it you have not read through any of the new Horus Heresy books or be familier with the background.
I will sum it up for you. Chaos marines feel that they are superior in all ways to anyone else. This includes such things as daemons who are in a (what the chaos marines believe to be undeserved) position of favor with the gods. They do not want to share any of the glory and this is especially so of things that cannot be trusted and which will claim the "glory" for themselves such as the daemons.
Of course, if you want to use daemons anyway. There is no problem. The universe is large and there are always exceptions to the rules. Your particuler outfit may like using daemons. It is your army to do with as you want. Do what you enjoy and personally feel to be "right".

the1stpip
17-02-2009, 10:36
Yoiu don't need Daemons, my Word Bearers are very flamer intensive, representing their pious nature and their need to spread their creed.

However, I was looking at including some heavily converted daemons just for the conversion opportunity.

I was looking at using ghouls as a basis for them, but there are plenty of plastic kits out there that would work.

squeekenator
17-02-2009, 10:46
Yes, the last version of the chaos codex had made all of the legions into bland boring one dimensional steriotypes that many people mistanly believed to be the way it was.

Now, don't start that again. This thread is for discussing how to get daemons for little , not another Chaos codex war. Please, Chaos whiners and rabid fanboys, spare just this one thread. It doesn't deserve this fate.

loveless
17-02-2009, 14:42
Try some discount stores. Don't play the waiting game for the next wave of Daemon releases - no one has mentioned plastic Plaguebearers and Horrors in anything other than wishlisting.

eBay tends to be your friend, as well.

Mannimarco
17-02-2009, 14:45
although it would make sense that all 4 gods will be getting a plastic core daemon release, just common sense

Vampiric16
17-02-2009, 14:48
I heard a mention of a second wave release. Any idea when that will be?
I have decided not to expand beyond the two units (plus greater daemon) that I already have. Instead I will look into making an allied force for apocalypse, and since I play word bearers I wont have to feel bad about mixing daemons (khorne+tzeentch) :D

Mannimarco
17-02-2009, 14:52
more plastic dasemon troops (plague bearers and horrors) theres a rumour that there will be some new metal heralds and maybe some of the special characters (im looking forward to Ku'gath)

Zanzibarthefirst
17-02-2009, 18:18
Since you're in Britain, i'd recommend Gaming Figures (http://www.gamingfigures.com/) I use the most the time and I've never had any problems with them. They even give an extra 5% discount if you have over 100 posts on Warseer or spend over 100. The owner is a member here on Warseer and is always availible to answer any questions you may have, jsut looking in the stores and services thread. Hope this helps.

Count de Monet
17-02-2009, 19:32
WHFB plastic beastmen. Can make some convincing bloodletters and 'Satyrs of Slaanesh' or generic daemonic-looking guys.

WHFB plastic ghouls, warhounds, dryads, etc.

Make a bunch of CSM with only CC weapons, paint them to look ghostly, representing the Legion calling up the spirits of fallen battle-brothers. Alternatively use ghostly versions of loyalist marines/IG/whoever as summoned shades of fallen foes.

Make scary looking blobs of greenstuff with various bits added on as warp-spawned monstrosities.

Etc.

EVIL INC
17-02-2009, 19:43
Now, don't start that again. This thread is for discussing how to get daemons for little , not another Chaos codex war. Please, Chaos whiners and rabid fanboys, spare just this one thread. It doesn't deserve this fate.
I have to second this. Information was requested so I gave it. There was no "rabid fanboy" or "whiner" material present in the thread so far. Let us hope that it does not start.
We have had too many threads and arguments about those topics already. If anyone wants to continue on those issues, PM is the way to go.

reds8n
17-02-2009, 19:50
I really, really, REALLY wouldn't hold your breath for plastic horrors and Plague Bearers. ;):(

Have you considered maybe converting plastic dryads for horrors and ghouls/zombies for plague bearers ?

Seeing as these will be "generic" lesser demons anyway I doubt many people would mind.

AmBlam
17-02-2009, 20:10

That post goes well with your avatar :angel:

To the OP:
Cherry pick what you like and deny the rest. Are you going to let GW's profit margins concern your choice of army?