PDA

View Full Version : kantor sternguard army?

The Samaritan
15-02-2009, 21:14
has anyone done an army with mostly sternguard as troops? (lets face it, they're so expensive, it would also be just MOSTLY sternguard as well :p)

Aegius
15-02-2009, 21:15
Sternguard don't count as troops with kantor. They just become scoring units.

The Samaritan
15-02-2009, 21:17
yeah yeah same thing basically. ok has someone done a sternguard and two minimum scout army basically :p

RichBlake
15-02-2009, 21:24
Even the minimum cost would be daft.

You'd need:

Kantor
10 Sternguard
10 Sternguard
10 Sternguard
10 Man Tactical
10 Man Tactical

To even make it worthwhile.

carldooley
15-02-2009, 21:43
try this 1500 list:
HQ = 175 pts.
Chapter Master Pedro Kantor

HQ = 160 pts.
Kor'Sarro Khan Equivalent

ELITE = 285 pts.
10x Sternguard, Power Weapon, Combi-Flamer, Drop Pod

ELITE = 285 pts.
10x Sternguard, Drop Pod

ELITE = 205 pts.
Ironclad Dreadnought, 2x Heavy Flamers, Drop Pod, Deathwind Missile Launcher

TROOPS = 90 pts.
5x Scouts, 4 shotguns, Power Weapon

TROOPS = 90 pts.
5x Scouts, 4 shotguns, Power Weapon

FAST ATTACK = 50 pts.
Land Speeder Storm

FAST ATTACK = 50 pts.
Land Speeder Storm

FAST ATTACK = 90 pts.
Land Speeder, Typhoon Missile Launcher

you can look elsewhere for variants that I have suggested.

ehlijen
15-02-2009, 22:25
That particular ability of Kantor is nothing more but a trap. His ability aside, Sternguard are still too expensive for their resilience to make good objective holders. You are still better off spending most of those points on tactical squads than you are buying a disproportionate amount of sternguard. Especially if you've already got an expensive HQ character.

The Samaritan
15-02-2009, 23:42
That particular ability of Kantor is nothing more but a trap. His ability aside, Sternguard are still too expensive for their resilience to make good objective holders. You are still better off spending most of those points on tactical squads than you are buying a disproportionate amount of sternguard. Especially if you've already got an expensive HQ character.

yes... I know... ughhh i just want to know if anyone HAS done it.

carldooley
15-02-2009, 23:53
yes - that is one of my tourny lists, though I am in the middle of switching it up. the kantor and the khan abilities have a fun bit of synergy, standard, Furious assault, hit&run, all in a drop pod.

Warforger
15-02-2009, 23:55
Oh hell yah, I know it would be expensive, but Vanguard+Khan And Kantor :D Or better yet Relic Blade Honor Guard with same guys.

Usopreme
16-02-2009, 01:05
I agree that sternguard are a trap. However Pedro is awesome for the points. I just wish I could take him and keep combat tactics.

nurgleallan
16-02-2009, 01:32
Vote For Pedro!!!! Pedro offers you his protection :P

mughi3
16-02-2009, 04:42
i fought the sternguard army of doom last night.

at 2K
30 stearnguard-
3X 10 man squads, 2 flamers in each squad and a combi melta on every other, sgt with a powerfist/combi melta

2X10 tac marines with a melta and heavy bolter, sgt with power fist

pedro cantor and the super chaplain cassius.

plus some transports.

The list was desinged to fight nids but it tore me apart pretty darn good.

ehlijen
16-02-2009, 05:51
Super librarian cassius? Do you mean chaplain cassius or tigurius?

mughi3
16-02-2009, 06:34
Super librarian cassius? Do you mean chaplain cassius or tigurius?

sorry typo....supposed to be chaplain

Vote Kantor
16-02-2009, 08:28
Vote For Pedro!!!! Pedro offers you his protection :P

Thankyou, thankyou!! (can i quote?)

But, this would actually be a very average list, if it werent for the ability to hold objectives, this would be pathetic.

Marlow
16-02-2009, 09:49
Kantor is great. However I belive Sternguard should be taken to suppliment Tactical Marines not replace them. With Kantor Sternguard make for a good alternative to Devastators (Two Heavy Weapons and scoring) as they can hold the home objective.

Vote Kantor
16-02-2009, 11:13
WOOO
Marlow, can i quote you too
Plus what you said is completely true

EDIT: I am sigging, if you disagree, pm me

THANKYOU

pookie
16-02-2009, 11:28
I agree that sternguard are a trap. However Pedro is awesome for the points. I just wish I could take him and keep combat tactics.

well you can if you choose a CM or Cpt, you can choose which Chapter Trait to use after all.

Hellgore
16-02-2009, 12:59
Well, I've run the following twice sofar, against CSM and against Horde-SoB.

Objectives Mission against CSM: I wiped those Noise Marines, Greater Demon and Lucius out in turn 4

Killpoints Mission against 102 SoB: Lost by 4 KP in Turn 5

HQ
Pedro Kantor (in my case: Ageman of the 1st UM-Comp)
Sicarius

6 Man Honorguard w/Champion & Droppod (goes with Sicarius)

Elite:
10x Sternguard w/PF&2xCombimelta & Droppod w/Beacon
5x Sternguard w/PF&2xCombiplasma & Droppod

Troop:
10x Tacticals w/PF&Combimelta&Melta&Lascan (Tankhunters by Sicarius) & Droppod w/Beacon
10x Tacticals w/Flamer&ML & Droppod
5xSniperscouts

1750pts.

This is what I've tested so far. As mentioned with mixed success. Gonna tinker with it a bit yet cause I like the playing style and tactical difficulties of this army. Not very tourney-tough yet fun to play.

ehlijen
16-02-2009, 13:13
Not quite pookie:

Normal captains/masters do not have the chapter tactic special rule. Only if you take two characters with the chaper tactics special rule do you get to choose which version applies and either one will remove combat tactics.

You only get to keep combat tactics if you don't pick anyone with the chapter tactics special rule. Even if yout take marneus and kantor you're forced to loose combat tactics (and thus make marneus a whole let less useful).

pookie
16-02-2009, 15:01
Not quite pookie:

Normal captains/masters do not have the chapter tactic special rule. Only if you take two characters with the chaper tactics special rule do you get to choose which version applies and either one will remove combat tactics.

You only get to keep combat tactics if you don't pick anyone with the chapter tactics special rule. Even if yout take marneus and kantor you're forced to loose combat tactics (and thus make marneus a whole let less useful).

ah cool, obviously i was confused with Chapter/Combat tactics :D

cheers

Nasha
16-02-2009, 16:09
the basic cost deters me to even attempt this list although with my crimson fist list i think i need to update it lol
im still using the oringal RT marines
kerby

Sanctjud
16-02-2009, 19:39
I've gone with:

Kantor
30 Stern in 3 pods with as many comobi weapons as I can purchase.
30 Scounts.

At 1500

It's worked really, well, but it's only good for Shock and awe. It loses momentum quickly. And I find I like Combat Tactics more than the scoring aspect/stubborn. But the +1 A is nice when you keep your force together, but suffer from not being as flexible should the enemy be more fast, use reserves or is generally a mobile gunline.

In essence, it's a one trick pony.

My 7 Cents.

blameless
16-02-2009, 20:45
Iv got an army that has kantor ONE squad of Stern and everything scores (including the grey knight allied squad)

As previously stated the trick is not overdoing it with Stern

ReveredChaplainDrake
17-02-2009, 01:12
I've gone with:

Kantor
30 Stern in 3 pods with as many comobi weapons as I can purchase.
30 Scounts.

At 1500
My 7 Cents.
Looks like a variant to, as I call it, the "It's Raining Men!" list. What's a real pain is when they have 5 pods, but they land 3x10 Sternguard and Kantor on Turn 1 and 20x Marines on Turn 2. IRM! is pretty nasty, and why I utterly reject that the Marine codex is a weaker book.

I played against a 1750 pt game with Tau against a "traditional" IRM! list: Kantor, 30 Sternguard in 3 pods, and the Sternguard were equipped with 10 Combi-Meltas in one squad, 10 Combi-Flamers in one squad, and a hybridized squad of 5 Combi-Meltas and 5 Combi-Flamers.

By the end of turn 1, I lost:
-6 Pathfinders
-12 Fire Warriors
-17 Kroot
-Shas'o + 2x Shas'vre
-Devilfish
-2 Railheads

On my next turn, I killed:
-1 Drop Pod

I had left:
-Shas'el + 2x Shas'vre
-24 Fire Warriors
-Skyray
... and then I'd be done.

At that point, I gave up. Sure it's a gimmick, but it's an effective one. If I were to play against it another seven times or so, I might get lucky enough to beat them. But it's so brutal that, unlike other deepstrike armies, Marines are (1) extremely shooty, and (2) have no real mishap risk. The only real problem with this is you have to drop pretty much in one location, meaning you can't really reach out to snag the objectives later. Of course though, if you annihilate the enemy this way, well it doesn't really matter.

It also didn't help that I played Tau. They get pwned in the face pretty hard by everybody these days. :cries:

zealot!
17-02-2009, 01:36

i just puked a little

blameless
17-02-2009, 01:42
Looks like a variant to, as I call it, the "It's Raining Men!" list. What's a real pain is when they have 5 pods, but they land 3x10 Sternguard and Kantor on Turn 1 and 20x Marines on Turn 2. IRM! is pretty nasty, and why I utterly reject that the Marine codex is a weaker book.

I played against a 1750 pt game with Tau against a "traditional" IRM! list: Kantor, 30 Sternguard in 3 pods, and the Sternguard were equipped with 10 Combi-Meltas in one squad, 10 Combi-Flamers in one squad, and a hybridized squad of 5 Combi-Meltas and 5 Combi-Flamers.

By the end of turn 1, I lost:
-6 Pathfinders
-12 Fire Warriors
-17 Kroot
-Shas'o + 2x Shas'vre
-Devilfish
-2 Railheads

On my next turn, I killed:
-1 Drop Pod

I had left:
-Shas'el + 2x Shas'vre
-24 Fire Warriors
-Skyray
... and then I'd be done.

At that point, I gave up. Sure it's a gimmick, but it's an effective one. If I were to play against it another seven times or so, I might get lucky enough to beat them. But it's so brutal that, unlike other deepstrike armies, Marines are (1) extremely shooty, and (2) have no real mishap risk. The only real problem with this is you have to drop pretty much in one location, meaning you can't really reach out to snag the objectives later. Of course though, if you annihilate the enemy this way, well it doesn't really matter.

It also didn't help that I played Tau. They get pwned in the face pretty hard by everybody these days. :cries:

Or you could stop crying and keep EVERYTHING in reserve while his 30 men show up...

Drop pods MUST show up turn one so just make it that he shows up to nothing then start shooting him...

Tau are not all bad.

Sanctjud
18-02-2009, 00:45
Tau are not near the top tiers, but with a good commander, they can be tough.

But they do not have 'super units' so suffer a bit at higher point games, when the board is crowded and there's no room to kite or set up decent traps.

I like the 30 scouts instead of more Tac in pods, due to starting close to the pods to provide a second turn charge, to keep the momentum of the army going, and to maximize Kantor's +1A aura.

And yes, when I play against a pod list, I love going into reserves... but ONLY with a fast list.
Like SM bikers, nob bikers, ELdar jetbike army, Tau mech.

My 7 Cents.