PDA

View Full Version : missing units

cwastoinand
15-02-2009, 22:44
Whit units have gone the way of the dodo?

i know the war wagon and food knights ( bretonia and empire )

whit units do you miss?

badgeraddict
15-02-2009, 22:53
Whit units have gone the way of the dodo?

i know the war wagon and food knights ( bretonia and empire )

whit units do you miss?

I know what you meant, but this typo made me choke on a wagon wheel!

I've only been playing since 6th ed so I'm not missing any units per say.

However I do miss Executioners. They have been overshadowed by the more versatile Black Guard.

Condottiere
15-02-2009, 23:16
I don't know if I actually miss it, but there is the Paymaster's Cart.

Darkmaw
15-02-2009, 23:22
How about Knights of the White Wolf? I think they are rather full of character.

Also Doom Wheel and Vermin Lord? Dark elf City Guard?

whilewolf
15-02-2009, 23:34
Goblin lead belcher ( a goblin organ gun )
Pink and blue Horrors ( replaced by horrors )

Lewis
15-02-2009, 23:40
Can you not get knights of the White Wolf anymore? I'm so out of the Empire loop....

Stuffburger
16-02-2009, 00:16
Those 50 shortbow skinks I have in my box...

pkain762
16-02-2009, 00:53
you can still make white wolf empire knights...when you buy the empire knight box it has enough wolf like stuff in there for you.... some people just don't like cavalry hammers

kain

sroblin
16-02-2009, 03:19
I was upset way back at the beginning of the 6th edition when Foot Knights were no longer available, than I realized that everything good about Knights and more had been included in the Greatswords unit. I understand the theoretical stat differences (they were S4 and fought with hand-weapon + shield), but the Greatswords basically provide exactly the same sort of abilitiy in a generally better package. And between WS4, leadership 8, and full plate, you still can think of them (and fluff them) as Foot Knights if desire!

Rioghan Murchadha
16-02-2009, 04:32
I was upset way back at the beginning of the 6th edition when Foot Knights were no longer available, than I realized that everything good about Knights and more had been included in the Greatswords unit. I understand the theoretical stat differences (they were S4 and fought with hand-weapon + shield), but the Greatswords basically provide exactly the same sort of abilitiy in a generally better package. And between WS4, leadership 8, and full plate, you still can think of them (and fluff them) as Foot Knights if desire!

Nobody said anything about Foot Knights! The OP mentioned Food Knights, and I can safely say I miss them greatly. Nobody was better than those guys at defending an army's baggage train in campaigns. :p

Foegnasher
16-02-2009, 06:14
i own a awesome verminlord model, and wish to play him without feeling cheesy with the opponent's permission only hangup.

i dont own a hamster wheel of doom, but i heard they were humorous.

dannyfave
16-02-2009, 06:27
you can still make white wolf empire knights...when you buy the empire knight box it has enough wolf like stuff in there for you.... some people just don't like cavalry hammers

kain

Actualy, people loved cavalry hammers, it is now that they have great weapons instead of cavalry hammers that they suck and are missed.

I do miss my Kislevites and war wagons..and my dark elf city guard :D

Griefbringer
16-02-2009, 08:30
Do food knights engage in food fights?

More seriously, I have a handful of the old and gorgeous Bretonnian knights on foot, as well as Reiksguard on foot. Those Bretonnian knights can always be used as extra touch for units of spearmen, while the Reiksguard could be used to reinforce greatswords (and the Reiksguard models actually wear full plate armour, unlike those new metal greatswords).

cwastoinand
16-02-2009, 11:25
mm foot/ food the spell controller says thy are both ok (-;

but food knight mayby i am on to something empirical halflings in full plate (-;

but Goblin lead belcher? do you have a pix?
And is the paymaster's Cart a dogs of war unit?

The Red Scourge
16-02-2009, 11:34
Food knights.. Got me thinking of empire halflings and hot pots. I know they're 'available' as DoW, but its just sad that the moot never sends troops to the empires defense without demanding a hefty sum.

Coram_Boy
16-02-2009, 11:43
I do like the Hotpot, it adds character to armies. But it should be availible as 2 for 1 special choice, as there are so many better things that you could use that slot for. Mind you, at 50 pts each, they are really cheap and often made their points back in my games.

Chaos Undecided
16-02-2009, 11:54
Going a bit further back kind of miss the old Chaos Dwarf weapon teams (Bazookas, Swivel Guns, Mortars) and Dwarf Boar Centaur driven machines.

I also liked the old Wood Elf packmasters with their furry minions (bears, boars, hounds and wild cats if I remember right).

The Clairvoyant
16-02-2009, 13:06
Units of mummies!

Of course back then, undead couldn't march at all (well, you could use Vanhels but why spam vanhels when you could spam Curse of Years?) and mummies had M3

zak
16-02-2009, 13:12
I still have a unit of Orc X-bows, which bit the dust back in 6 edition I think. I also have some ungor skirmishers from 6th edition. Then there is the clown of doom aka Nagash, but I wasn't sad to see the back of that god awful thing.

Chicago Slim
16-02-2009, 13:23
Unridden monsters. Every army used to have some of them, but O&G had a huge menagerie of bizarre creatures-- I still have my old cockatrice around, somewhere...

I also seriously miss Orc crossbows! I like my Arrer Boyz and all, but I miss having the option of that extra strength and range...

I don't particularly miss them at all, but I note the passing of Wood Elf chariots. I think that some of the new things that Wood Elves have gotten in the last 10 years have taken that army in a much more unique, flavorful direction, and I appreciate it!

Some day, I'll find something to do with my old Imperial War Wagon. *sigh* As for the Reiksguard Foot, I quite like the direction GW has taken, replacing them with Greatswords-- the greatswords are more like historical Landsknecht Doppelsoldner, and after all, the word for "Knight" in every European language but English literally means "horseman" or "rider"...

The SkaerKrow
16-02-2009, 13:37
food knights ( bretonia and empire )I thought Chaos was the only army that had access to Knights of Corn.

Condottiere
16-02-2009, 13:54
I still have a unit of Orc X-bows, which bit the dust back in 6 edition I think. They're still available as a unit of Regiments of Renown - Ruglud's Armoured Orcs.

Jack Spratt
16-02-2009, 14:42
Not in my language Slim and I am very European thank you :)

The War Wagon is missed. It was just so cool.

Miss the halflings too...

chivalrous
16-02-2009, 15:11
Bertrand le brigand and his unit from the Brettonia.
Not so much a unit as an army book based regiment of renown.

Skink cold One Riders too.
I know there's a regiment of renown out there but these days you can't guarantee your opponent will let you use them.

Famder
16-02-2009, 15:56
I miss the cockatrice, the gorgon, skinks with shortbows, halflings, allies, and my old Slann being carried by 4 temple guard.

Condottiere
16-02-2009, 16:27
Not in my language Slim and I am very European thank you :)Just out of curiousity, what would the direct English translation be.

Brother Siccarius
16-02-2009, 17:23
Everything about the Chaos Dwarfs.

FatOlaf
16-02-2009, 18:04
Showing my age, but in no particular order

Zoats

Fimir's

Chaos dwarf Bull centaur warmachines, the Tenderiser and the Whirlwind

Pygmies, god I loved them

Grim Reaper skeletons

WE animal handlers

Dwarf Wizards...(still have one)

The Thwuppa Thwuppa (now known as Gyrocopter)

Carrion Riders

Giant Spiders (available to most armies)

Baby dragons

Skaven Allies (and the allies principle in general)

Hobgoblins

Half Orcs

Nippon army, ninjas baby..............:evilgrin:

Regiments of Renown

Ravening Hordes (all armies out at the same time)

Warp Fire throwers, when they were mean.......:evilgrin:

What I dont miss

3rd Ed rules.............

Sheena Easton
16-02-2009, 18:15
Forest Goblins
Forest Goblin Shamans riding Gigantic Spiders
Unridden Gigantic Spiders
Unridden Hippogriffs
Unicorn & Pegasus mounts for High Elves (and Unicorns for Wood Elves)
Chimera
Cockatrice
Spider Swarms
Shadow Warriors with Swords, Bows & Shields
Night Goblin Squig Hunters, Netters & Clubbers (the proper 4th Ed ones)
Young Dragons
Young Wyvern
Unridden Dragons
Unridden Monsters in general
Gorgon
Necromancers that weren't EMO Vampire Wannabe's that could actually cast lots of spells (like they are supposed to be able to do far better than even the most accomplished Vampire) and lead whole armies (like they used to)
Liches (Liche Priests aren't the same thing)
Skaven Gutter Runners with Nets

Horus38
16-02-2009, 19:51
Ah memory lane... :rolleyes:

I got into WHFB during 5th edition so the Army book and rules book have all kinds of pictures of units/models mentioned above. War wagon, yea, that looked like fun, although I'd say it morphed into the steam tank rather then dissapeared.

Biggest thing I can remember was back when Lizardmen didn't have a lord choice other then the Slann, who when fully upgraded was a combat monster as well as a magical tank.

ZeroTwentythree
16-02-2009, 20:44
As much as I loved the models and concept, I don't miss the rules for Elementals. It would be great to see them back in some form, though.

Since others indirectly brought it up, I miss the baggage train.

16-02-2009, 21:02
maiden guard

Chadjabdoul
16-02-2009, 21:59
I'll second the orc crossbows (ruglud's ones are just not the same -better models but why go to mercenaries for that?)

And of course the gigantic spider riding shaman (i have the old marauder model, beautifully painted by a friend who really could paint very well)

to fat olaf: i remember those we animal handlers, colourfull and fluffy, they should bring them back

Urgat
16-02-2009, 22:01
Forest gobs for me.
I'd say chaos dwarfs but, well, you can still play them if you want, so...
And chimeras, I've got a savage orc warboss riding one, and it's taking dust, half painted :'(
And finally the cockatrice, because that's the one monster I could see gobs riding, and I had plans concerning that, and then 6th edition came. No matter how good 6th ed was, I hate it, it removed all my cool monsters, and made gobs too good, which in turn brought too many goblin armies, which, I assume, in turned brought about the 7th ed nerfing stick.
Anyway, I want forest gobs back (with added goodness)!

Condottiere
17-02-2009, 08:23
Did they ever make Amazonian miniatures? Than those.

RossS
17-02-2009, 08:48
Forest gobs for me.
I'd say chaos dwarfs but, well, you can still play them if you want, so...
And chimeras, I've got a savage orc warboss riding one, and it's taking dust, half painted :'(
And finally the cockatrice, because that's the one monster I could see gobs riding, and I had plans concerning that, and then 6th edition came. No matter how good 6th ed was, I hate it, it removed all my cool monsters, and made gobs too good, which in turn brought too many goblin armies, which, I assume, in turned brought about the 7th ed nerfing stick.
Anyway, I want forest gobs back (with added goodness)!

I hear you, man. Way back when, I took an ancient Goblin Wolf Rider "Archer with Sword" miniature and stuck him on top of that delightfully ornery-looking Cockatrice. He might be my favorite miniature; every bit as cool as you suspect. It's sad that he will never have the opportunity to humiliate himself on the battlefield.

Eternus
17-02-2009, 09:56
I'll go with units of Mummies on foot as well, with 2 handed weapons - 2 attacks each, 4 wounds each and toughness 5 - oh yeah, 45 points each. Expensive, but nothing better for bludgeoning a giant to death, or turning a unit of knights into a nasty smear! Never has there been such an overpowered unit - before or since.

Oh yeah, and I miss Bull Centaurs as well.

AndrewGPaul
17-02-2009, 10:28
Ah memory lane... :rolleyes:

I got into WHFB during 5th edition so the Army book and rules book have all kinds of pictures of units/models mentioned above. War wagon, yea, that looked like fun, although I'd say it morphed into the steam tank rather then dissapeared.

No, the War Wagon and Steam Tank were both introduced at the same time.

I miss High Elf warriors with weapons other than spears, High Elf heroes on pegasi, Maiden Guard (the miniatures make good Sea Guard, but I only have 8 :( ), the Book of Ashur and the Assault of Stone spell. I miss 4th edition sometimes. :)

Urgat
17-02-2009, 11:21
I hear you, man. Way back when, I took an ancient Goblin Wolf Rider "Archer with Sword" miniature and stuck him on top of that delightfully ornery-looking Cockatrice. He might be my favorite miniature; every bit as cool as you suspect. It's sad that he will never have the opportunity to humiliate himself on the battlefield.

Play friends; if you allow them to be a bit free too, they can let you do wild things as well. I've bought all these spider riders (w/o the spiders) off eBay, and, after discussing it, have been allowed to play them as gnobblar trappers in my goblin army (we thought their rules fitted well). They won't count for the minimum core choices, and will use the O&G animosity.
I'm not going to bother with the cockatrice though, too much work for that limited use.

FatOlaf
17-02-2009, 16:38
to fat olaf: i remember those we animal handlers, colourfull and fluffy, they should bring them back

I know they were great, boars, dogs, wolves I think, great minis

Did they ever make Amazonian miniatures? Than those.

they did, often used as allies for LM...

Yep forgot about Elementals, great models but broken as hell....