PDA

View Full Version : Hand Weapon + Magic Shield

Nu Fenix
15-02-2009, 22:49
Whilst you don't get the bonus for HW + Shield if you have a Magic Weapon, as it no longer counts as a hand weapon, what happens if you use a magical shield?

It is still a shield, so can't be used whilst using aa two-handed weapon, but do you still get the benefit of combining it with a normal hand weapon?

I ask as someone commented it during a game, and I couldn't see anything in the rules that would stop it.

So if I had n Empire hero with Full Plate [4+], Enchanted Shield [+2] and parry bonus [+1], I would get a 1+ save on foot, for only 18 points. This sounds FAR too good to be true. But is it right? As it is rare to have a magical shield and non-magical weapon.

EvC
15-02-2009, 23:16
Go read the main FAQ.

Nu Fenix
15-02-2009, 23:21
Obviously the thought to check the FAQ hadn't crossed my mind, as no-one other than that one person had thought of it.

Thanks for reminding me I should look there :)

Braad
16-02-2009, 07:35
But simple answer: Yes. It just needs the ruling 'shield' in its rules.

Same goes for magic weapons: if they have the ruling 'hand weapon' in them, they are also elligible for the bonus. However, there is only a single weapon (DE) in the whole game that has this ruling, so don't count on that one.

WLBjork
16-02-2009, 07:40
Bret's Sword of the Quest as well, Braad :p

havoc626
16-02-2009, 08:30
As is one of the Daemonic powers for DoC. They can't take shields though...hmm, can anyone think of a use for this being a HW then?

Braad
16-02-2009, 08:32
Can they have a second hand weapon? Probably not, but I don't know...

Necromancy Black
16-02-2009, 09:38
Can they have a second hand weapon? Probably not, but I don't know...

No, magic weapons forbid the use of other weapons, so you can't combine them unless they specifically state you can.

Atrahasis
16-02-2009, 10:03
No, magic weapons forbid the use of other weapons, so you can't combine them unless they specifically state you can.

Daemonic Gifts aren't Magic Weapons, so the Torment Blade grants +1Attack.

Necromancy Black
16-02-2009, 10:10
Whoops sorry, got confused there for a second :p Yeah, your right, it's not a amgic item in any way.

woodulikeanother
16-02-2009, 22:20
Remember that you can only get the parry bonus when being attacked at the Front, not from flank or rear

Dragonreaver
17-02-2009, 00:03
Same goes for magic weapons: if they have the ruling 'hand weapon' in them, they are also elligible for the bonus. However, there is only a single weapon (DE) in the whole game that has this ruling, so don't count on that one.

And even then, since Morathi doesn't have a shield, her Darksword is only good for an extra attack. ;)

So the only combo that gives you a shield bonus with a magic weapon is indeed the Sword of the Quest.

Veloxnex
17-02-2009, 00:32
What about the dark elf Beastmaster scourge weapon * whip of agony* . Scourge which is an ap HW.

Kalandros
17-02-2009, 00:34
Beastmaster's Scourge is not a magic weapon.
Whip of Agony is a magical Beastmaster's Scourge.

Dragonreaver
17-02-2009, 00:49
Good spot, though. The Whip of Agony (which I assume is what you meant in the first place) is another example of a magic weapon that could, in theory, be used with a shield and still receive the bonus. Though a Noble with a shield and a whip would look rather odd. Though I could see some uses for a guaranteed -3 to armour save no matter what that wounds most non-characters on 3's and elves on 2's... :p

Axis
17-02-2009, 04:58
Bret's Sword of the Quest as well, Braad :p

However, this one doesn't crop up so much. Since 99% of bretonnian heroes (not wizards) are mounted.

Lord Dan
17-02-2009, 05:04
However, this one doesn't crop up so much. Since 99% of bretonnian heroes (not wizards) are mounted.

Play me and you'll see it a bunch. ;)

Neckutter
17-02-2009, 07:49
Lord Dan's pegusi always get shot out from underneath his heroes! :)