PDA

View Full Version : Space Ork Boar riders "counts as"...

Trench_Raider
16-02-2009, 07:09
Simple question...
Are old Space Ork boarboy models an acceptable "counts as" option for bikers (or even...gasp...nob bikers) in your opinion?
Explain.
http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994151-03.htm

TR

Rioghan Murchadha
16-02-2009, 07:18
Simple question...
Are old Space Ork boarboy models an acceptable "counts as" option for bikers (or even...gasp...nob bikers) in your opinion?
Explain.
http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994151-03.htm

TR

Hells yeah. If people can make IG roughriders on bikes, then why not ork bikers on cavalry mounts?

misterboff
16-02-2009, 08:06
I'd say either Bikes (because they're quite fast) or 'Ard Boyz (a bit more 'out there', but Boars/Cyboar have got to be pretty tough).

As an Ork player though, as long as you told me before the game started I'd be fine with it.

misterboff

Born Again
16-02-2009, 08:11
Yes, for friendly games. Not sure how it'd go down in a tournament as it would be up to the organiser. I'd have no problem though, knowing your situation of digging out a lot of classic, old models and trying to fit them into the new list. If it were a new player converting models from Fantasy boarboys (say for a Snakebite themed army) i'd probably expect them to model a harness carrying the dakkaguns.

Gen.Steiner
16-02-2009, 08:24
Yes for both friendly and tournament games. There's no reason why you can't use 'em as Bikers, Nob or otherwise - they're kool, kunnin', an' ded killy. The three Ks of Orkyness! :p

EDIT: Dakkauns schmakkaguns. Clearly the Mad Dok and Mek have nutted 'eads and created Cyboars with kunninly hidden LASER EYES! No, seriously, why not?

Vote Kantor
16-02-2009, 08:30
Maybe say they move as cavalry though

Moriarty
16-02-2009, 09:51
Simple answer; yes.

You've got an Ork army, your opponent should expect 'counts as' as standard :-)

Ravening Wh0re
16-02-2009, 10:56
Yes. My Snakebites use (cy)boarboyz as bikes

Sir_Turalyon
16-02-2009, 10:57
Yes, yes, yes. At, least, I intend to eighter use mine as nob bikers with 1st/2nd edition plastic bikes as bikes, or boarboyz as bikes and 4th edition bikers as nobs. Reason: they are opticaly different from bikers, thay are cool and deadly, when mounted on cyboars they have "cyboar body" upgrade already modelled, and they are among oldest of my mounted orks which makes them nobs. I'm toying with idea of converting all my boars, giving them wheel or track unit instead of hind legs and some dakkaguns, but it won't happen anytime soon.

Born Again
16-02-2009, 12:18
Yes for both friendly and tournament games. There's no reason why you can't use 'em as Bikers, Nob or otherwise - they're kool, kunnin', an' ded killy. The three Ks of Orkyness! :p

EDIT: Dakkauns schmakkaguns. Clearly the Mad Dok and Mek have nutted 'eads and created Cyboars with kunninly hidden LASER EYES! No, seriously, why not?

Oh come, please. Cyboars with hidden laser eyes? :rolleyes:

COUNT ME IN! That's just about the height of cool, where do I get one? :p

marv335
16-02-2009, 12:56
Absolutely.
Snakebite warbikers, sounds good. I was planning something similar.

Latro_
16-02-2009, 13:01
heh they'd defo have to be cyboars, i cant imagine normal ones getting a speed of 24" up! lol.

But yea, its a great idea, esp in a snakebite army.

Ironhand
16-02-2009, 13:03
Sure, it makes perfect sense that Boarboyz "count as" BikerBoyz (or Nob Bikers).

Necromancer2
16-02-2009, 13:04
I miss Cyboars! :(

EVIL INC
16-02-2009, 13:56
I say go for it. As there is nothing else in the list aside from deffcoptors (which boar riders definately arent unless pigs can fly), it will be immediately obvious to even the most pig headed (pun intended) opponant that they are bikers.
Just a matter of willing you are to convert the models to represent the guns.
Ideas...
1. Get really big guns and put them on string or thick thread and sling them over the shoulders of the riders. This can represent the big shootas without you having to cut or attach anything to your models permanantly.
2. Just paint the name of what they are for example, "Nob Biker" onto the side of the base.

Trench_Raider
16-02-2009, 15:38
Dakkauns schmakkaguns. Clearly the Mad Dok and Mek have nutted 'eads and created Cyboars with kunninly hidden LASER EYES! No, seriously, why not?

Now that's the propper orky spirit! :D
Anything goes, right?

It would not be the first time I've used cavalry models to "count as" bikes. For instance my Nurgle Chaos Legion army has a unit of "bikers" that I modeled from the old RT "chaos renegades on horseback" and skeleton horses. They turned out very nice and along with the old lord on the palaquin they are the center pieces of the army.

TR

gitburna
16-02-2009, 16:35
Can't think of any reason why anyone would say "No" and furthermore, i seem to remember that back when 3rd edition was released, an appendix section in the rules suggested that boarboyz could represent bikers.

I'd hazard a guess that anyone who's been playing since before the 3rd edition transition, or who remembers Epic would have no problem with it whatsoever, and might even consider it more suitable than using actual bikes (I certainly would... I miss epic and havnt played it for about 15 years!!! I had a kick ass little Ork army)

TheMuumio
16-02-2009, 16:51
I say go for it. As there is nothing else in the list aside from deffcoptors (which boar riders definately arent unless pigs can fly),
I think you just gave me an idea :p

Zanzibarthefirst
16-02-2009, 16:55
What would be even better woudl be if you were able to come up with balanced rules for them and create a nice themed Snakebite army. One suggestion I coudl think of boyz mounted on boars which give them +2 attacks on the charge rather than +1 and maybe +1 str. I dont have the old snakebite rules handy but i have got the 2nd edition codex which is an unlimited source oif inspiration for all orkm players. As for jsut using them as bikers I woudl say go for it. i woudlnt mind converting some myslef as it woudl be a cool conversion project.

Bunnahabhain
16-02-2009, 17:01
Yes, I can't see any problems at all with boars as bikes. Distinctive, right kind of size, very Orky.

Having at least some to them with big guns over their shoulders would be good, just to remind everyone, including the Ork player that they have them. I like the idea of killa lazer eyes though....

EVIL INC
16-02-2009, 17:21
I think you just gave me an idea :p
I can imagine. If you do it, be sure to post pics.;)
(I had thought of it myself when posting it but as I am a cheapskate, not worth the trouble and expense of me doing it. Especially so with all the plastics in the AoBR set.

What would be even better woudl be if you were able to come up with balanced rules for them and create a nice themed Snakebite army. One suggestion I coudl think of boyz mounted on boars which give them +2 attacks on the charge rather than +1 and maybe +1 str. I dont have the old snakebite rules handy but i have got the 2nd edition codex which is an unlimited source oif inspiration for all orkm players. As for jsut using them as bikers I woudl say go for it. i woudlnt mind converting some myslef as it woudl be a cool conversion project.
i can see what your talking about and it would be very fluffy. The problem in doing that though is that your moving away from the official codex and then opponants would actually have a valid excuse to tell you you cant use them. Sounds like fun for house rules at home though.:)

sigur
16-02-2009, 18:20
I have exactly the same problem in my army which is quiteheavy on boarboys (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Orks/boarboysgroupshot2.jpg)and nobz on cyboars (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Orks/cyboarswip4.jpg). Even my Warboss is mounted on a Super Cyboar and so far I used the bike rules for boars and nobody objected so far.

Earthbeard
16-02-2009, 19:39
I have exactly the same problem in my army which is quiteheavy on boarboys (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Orks/boarboysgroupshot2.jpg)and nobz on cyboars (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Lexandro/Orks/cyboarswip4.jpg). Even my Warboss is mounted on a Super Cyboar and so far I used the bike rules for boars and nobody objected so far.

Any one with any amount of sense wouldn't.

I'm sure some ****** somewhere would though.

maelstrom66669
16-02-2009, 23:41
I think they are a great substitute for bikes, I thought about making some chaos wars on the horses from fantasy chaos, but it turns out it would cost even more, so I scrapped the idea, woulda been awesome tho.

Orkeosaurus
17-02-2009, 00:00
Regular boarboys are a little small for something as powerful as nob bikers, but it's not a huge deal.

I use cyboar riders as my biker nobs, and my biker boss rides around on a carnosaur.

gonzosbignose
17-02-2009, 01:15
Having stuck together a load of the new bikes (which i loathe) i wish i had done boar boys....

Good call

Regards

MY name is Daniel and i am a wargamer

Clang
17-02-2009, 04:30
modelling the riders to carry a deffgun (any sort of fancied-up shoota would do) in each hand would be pretty easy.

I second the idea of cyboars for nobz - it'll make them look cooler and bigger. Hmm, I'm sure I've seen some plastic cyboar conversions around, using bike wheels at the back

SisterMordagg
17-02-2009, 05:46
Paint the eyes red, call them laser eyes and glare menacingly at anyone who tells you otherwise.
If necessary, remind them it is an ork army, possibly by beating them senseless while screaming "WAAAAAGH"

Gen.Steiner
17-02-2009, 07:16
Even better - replace the eyes with lascannon muzzles and attach powerpacks to their behinds! :D

And maybe some tank exhausts from their sides?

brightblade
17-02-2009, 09:52
I say 'hell yeah, no worries. Use 'em.'

You can even justify the 4+ cover save from exhausts. Those boarboyz are windy fellas. Too much squig beer, I fear. :)

I suppose that accounts for turboboosting too!:p:D

Gen.Steiner
17-02-2009, 11:30
Ha, you could have an Ork lighting a boar's fart and the resulting flame jet-propelling boar and Ork towards the enemy.

WAAAAAAAAGH! :p

ash_wednesday
17-02-2009, 11:58
I'd say yeah. Use them as ork bikes. Or if you're using Apocalypse, use "as is" for bikes. The rules allow you to do that so you can bring "all your models to the table".

Besides...they are really cool Pre-Gorkamorka 40k Orks models.

Zanzibarthefirst
17-02-2009, 13:59
i can see what your talking about and it would be very fluffy. The problem in doing that though is that your moving away from the official codex and then opponants would actually have a valid excuse to tell you you cant use them. Sounds like fun for house rules at home though.:)

I guewss that woudl be where apoc comes in. Based on the old codex here is what i come up with,

Pts: 19
WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
Boarboy 4 2 3 4 1 2 2 7 4+
Nob 4 2 4 4 1 3 3 7 4+

Unit Composition: 5 - 20
Unit Type: Beasts

Wagear: choppa, slugga, stikkbombz
Nob can swap his choppa for a big choppa or a power klaw at the normal points cost,

Special Rules
Mob Rule
Furious Charge
Boar, +2A on the charge and gains a 4+ armour save.
Cyboar: one unit may upgrade their boars to cyboar for 5 points each. This added +1S

genestealer_baldric
17-02-2009, 14:16
i just dont want to know where you stick the key to get it "started"

brightblade
17-02-2009, 16:14
Genestealer baldric, don't you know anything. You don't need a key to start a boar. You kick start it.:p:D

obithius
17-02-2009, 18:52
Can't you find the old rules for boars and write some new rules to fit this edition?I remember playing against them in 2nd edition,something to do with a big red button...