PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about Witch Hunters

Desalbert
16-02-2009, 19:05
As an Ork player since about '98, on and off, I'm looking to start fresh with a new army now that I know what I'm doing, and aren't the age of 12 any more:p

So, with a clear head towards a brand new army, I'm kind of curious about Witch Hunters. What do others players think about them? Are they fun? Interesting? Balanced? Easy to find and purchase? Easier to paint? (etc)

More importantly too, are they just a throwaway GW army, or are they going to recieve updates in the future? (I know no one can say for sure, but thoughts are welcome)

Essentially, anything anyone thinks about Witch Hunters, I'd like to know!

Thanks,

-Des

Axel
16-02-2009, 19:21
Harder to paint, actually LOT less fun then Orks in that regard - but that is true for all other armies. Orks just rule here.

Witchhunters have a couple of configs that you can play, and lots of sisters in Rhinos is one of the most effective combos. You are weak in long range and cc (though some units do their work), but devestating at short range with bolters and flamers. Thanks to the BoSL sisters do not run, they die for the emperor - or most often as not, triumph.

Take yourself an hour (or a week) and browse through the Tactica Witchhunter to get a feeling. A lot of it is worth it, and still valid.

On regard of the "throwaway", nobody knows what GW will do to the special forces of the Imperium, like the Grey Knights, Adeptus Sororita, the Inquisition and others (Ecclesiarchy, Adeptus Mechanicus, Adeptus Arbites, etc). They MIGHT get a single volume book mixing them up to a mess, or get seperate treatment for flavourful and distinct forces. You start them on your own risk, but you always can use a SM codex with stand-in-rules if they mess it up.

Bregalad
16-02-2009, 21:58
This is a rare and beautiful and expensive army. I second the advice to visit the WH Tactica in the Tactica subforum which is one of the best. WH will definitely not be dropped, but there are mixed signals whether they stay a separate Codex or get a combined Inquisition Codex. In 4th edition they were competitive, don't know 5th edition status. Some items are mail order only (like the almost compulsory Exorcist, 1 or 2 of them), but you get nice Forge World Inquisition models once in a while. Definitely enriching your local gaming group, and not only visually.

Desalbert
16-02-2009, 23:23
Thanks for the input thus far, everyone! I'm certainly considering the force, and I imagine, should GW go with an "Inquisition" army later, much of the mainstay of 'hunters force would still be relevant (after all Sisters of Battle themselves have been around for awhile)

There's one more key thing I'm wondering out: Do the battle sisters come in plastics? Does any model for them?

Thanks,

Des

Dezmord
17-02-2009, 00:29
Do the battle sisters come in plastics? Does any model for them?
The only plastics for witchhunters are the rhinos and immolators.

Bregalad
17-02-2009, 01:00
That's what makes the army expensive. I would argue that Sisters are too detailed and would lose a lot if done in plastic (even with current GW technology). But others have a different opinion.

A big fun of the army is to make your custom Inquisitor retinue, giving your army a distinctive character. I bought the DKoK quartermaster and sold the Quartermaster, just to get those weird servitors :) Also buy the Immolator just to make Sororitas Rhinos, which have much more style and bling.

Also hunt down the 2nd edition Sororitas Codex, as it contains much more background material. The novels "Faith and Fire" and "Grey Knight" also feature Sororitas.

Grey Knight Redeemer
17-02-2009, 02:17
I would have to agree, that with Gw technolgy the Sisters would lose alot of detail. The Sisters have alot to offer. Great looking rhinos if you use the Immolater kit, which includes an option to make said rhino. And the fact that you are kicking a** with a bunch of girls, really pissed off girls. Also remember that the Sisters are the Chamber Militant of the Witch Hunters but are under the day-to-day rule of the Ecclesiarchy so you can go with a all Sisters force or throw in an Inquistor and retinue to go with a true Ordos Hereticus force.

Filthy O'Bedlam
17-02-2009, 02:51
They are my second main Army after CSM; They are absolutely stunning models with deep and evocative background Fluff. It's true that you're probably going to want to run a mainly SoB army, it's the most effective build to my mind. Their main problem was lack of long range firepower and a slight lack of mobility, most of which have been fixed in 5th Edition with the ability to run.

Moral of the story here; they're a great army

Cheers, Filthy

Kettu
17-02-2009, 02:56
In Australia, the sisters’ squad box is $60
Add $55 for the Rhino
Add $20 for the Heavy Flamer
Add $14 for the Melta
Add $17 for the Sister Superior without the plasma pistol (Or convert your own if you have a spare anything but plasma)

And there you go, what is considered the most common build of sisters comes to a total of $166 AUS (Not including the postage and handling of the three blisters as they don't stock them in store)

(For comparison, Marines are $50 per box and $50 per Rhino with absolutely every option they have in box)

I has costed me over $1000AUS just for my First 1000pts
The rest of the army, another 1500 pts costed just under $1000

I can't think of a single army that is this expensive and it lacks almost all hope of conversion as they are all single piece metal.

If you want a cheap army or one with ease of conversion, this is its anti-thesis.

Starchild
17-02-2009, 03:14
The Sisters are exceptional with lots of assault weapons and the dreaded Acts of Faith, but they also get the weird units like Death Cult Assassins and Penitent Engines. Witch Hunters exhibit the dark gothic future of the 41st millennium like no other army in the game. Too, you can add units of Imperial Guard if you want. And the Crusaders have got to be among the coolest models ever sculpted (IMO). :cool:

FraustyTheSnowman
17-02-2009, 03:26
Sisters are a lot like dark eldar, in that there are quite a few trap units in the codex. Getting pentite engines will probably loose you games. Their fun and crazy and supposedly fluffy, but if you play in a competative environment, they will not help you. Assassins will hurt you also. Eversor and death cultists used to be amazing if used right, but fifth has butchered their effectiveness unfortunately, which is a real shame. If you look through the witch hunter tactica, as already said, you'll get a lot of useful info. Though it might take a while, as it is getting rather big.

Sisters don't come in plastic, but there are ways arround that. Are you willing to go "counts as"? If so, look into marine scouts, or something similar. Me personaly, I have about fifty plastic chaos marines, green stuffed up to act as plague marines in my death guard army. When I'm in the mood for something different I say they count as sisters. Works rather well, as they are all equipped the same. Combi flamer on the aspiring champion/veteran sister supperior; one melta gun; one flamer/heavy flamer; ten models total, running arround in a rhino. I've got eight beastmen converted up to be raptors or seraphim. I'm currently working on a way to make vindicators easily converted to exorcists.

As for their future, I don't think anyone knows. GW doesn't exactly have the best rep in this regard, which is good and bad. It sucks that they don't give any attention to sertine codexi, but at the same time, if there's no attention they can't be given the squat/zoat treatment.

Kettu
17-02-2009, 03:41
They effectively have been given the Squat treatment.

Lets see; 3rd ed Codex
No updates or new minis
No plastics
No Apoc Datasheets
No mention in rule book
No mention in any '5th ed, your army and you' articles
Obsolete rules on some units
5, count them, FIVE useless units in the codex
Only the HQ, rhino and Sister Troops box are on sale in stores
Horrible 5th ed FAQ till the fans (mainly on Bolter and Chainsword, that I could see) kicked up a massive stink about it.
No Battleforce boxes
NEVER appear in the White Dwarf mag.

If it wasn't for the fact that JJ said that we'd get an update 'after everyone else' then I'd say that the Sisters as an army and the Witchhunters as a whole are GWs latest Squats.