PDA

View Full Version : Comet of Cassandora - Remains in Play ?

knightime98
17-02-2009, 05:04
Here is the question. I remember seeing a FAQ that once this spell is cast that it can not be dispelled (once successfully cast at the time and not dispelled upon casting) or removed from play. That once it is called from the heavens that it is dropping PERIOD. Which means that if all remains in play spells are removed from play - this spell is an exception. It also means that if the wizard who cast it dies - it is still coming.. Which also means the casting wizard can cast other spells and the Comet is .. you guessed it.. still coming. This is what I remember from that FAQ. Kind of like the Skaven Frenzy spell. That once it is cast.. it really is not a spell but rather an effect... So, any help in either proving or disproving this now theory of mine would be helpful. Thanks..

I'm sure that the 7th Edition may have changed the way this spell once worked. Not sure now.. With the new lizardmen Engine of the Gods model this will have a big impact on the way and style that I play now.

WLBjork
17-02-2009, 05:12
No, you remember slightly wrongly.

The old 6th edition version was like a RiP spell, but it didn't end even if you killed the caster and jumped up and down on his corpse. Nor could the casting wizard choose to end the Comet. However, it could be dispelled.

Now in 7th edition it is a straightforward, bog-standard RiP spell.

Dokushin
17-02-2009, 13:41
And complete rubbish, IMO. I really think they should make it something like: "Remains in Play. Place a marker at a point on the table. At the beginning of each turn, put another marker on the first. When Comet of Casandora becomes dispelled, 2d6 S4 within d6"xmarkers blah blah."

Avian
17-02-2009, 13:54
Here is the question. I remember seeing a FAQ that once this spell is cast that it can not be dispelled (once successfully cast at the time and not dispelled upon casting) or removed from play.
A luvverly example of how not to write an FAQ. The answer made people uncertain about something that was perfectly clear originally. :p

But that was last edition and it was fixed soon enough as well.

Spirit
17-02-2009, 22:33
And complete rubbish, IMO. I really think they should make it something like: "Remains in Play. Place a marker at a point on the table. At the beginning of each turn, put another marker on the first. When Comet of Casandora becomes dispelled, 2d6 S4 within d6"xmarkers blah blah."

Seeing as you cant dispell it yourself, i doubt your opponent ever would.

Personally, its fine as it is, if its dispelled in their turn its gonna take 4 dice to do it, which means you own the magic phase. And this is only if you dont roll a 4+ to kill the 2 units youv'e placed it RIGHT next to anyway.

knightime98
18-02-2009, 05:30
So, if I am reading this right. You cast the spell at the end of your magic phase and it goes off. Next turn, you add a marker (failed to drop)... Your turn again, add a marker (failed to drop.. now at 3). Now it's your magic phase... The caster who cast the spell in first place can't cast or if the caster does then the markers are removed. How absurd is that...
Yeah, I cast the spell but since it didn't land.. I'm casting another spell. and it just goes away... I'd agree complete rubbish...

DeathlessDraich
18-02-2009, 11:02
I see it not as a natural comet but a *magically summoned* Comet.

If the magic that directs the Comet to the exact spot is removed (dispelled or Wizard casts again), then its path is then dependent on physical forces only which will most probably deviate it from the intended magical direction.

But yes, the spell loses its bite as a consequence.

Spirit
18-02-2009, 11:37
So, if I am reading this right. You cast the spell at the end of your magic phase and it goes off. Next turn, you add a marker (failed to drop)... Your turn again, add a marker (failed to drop.. now at 3). Now it's your magic phase... The caster who cast the spell in first place can't cast or if the caster does then the markers are removed. How absurd is that...
Yeah, I cast the spell but since it didn't land.. I'm casting another spell. and it just goes away... I'd agree complete rubbish...

Yes this is absolutely right, and to be perfectly honest, getting a possible 18" RADUIS spell, so 36" effective range, Completely balances not being able to cast for a turn.

Compare it to some of the other 12+ spells, generally when you cast a comet, people will do their damned best to stop it, giving you the magical upper hand.

EvC
18-02-2009, 11:48

It's a risk, which is part of what makes the game FUN (You remember fun, right?). Bearing in mind that by the time it gets to the wizard's next magic phase, there will be so many markers down it might end up blasting his own troops, so he may want to dispel it. Typically though, few opponents will ever let the spell get that far, as it can be quite nasty...

nosferatu1001
18-02-2009, 14:18
Having seena comet go on for 11 player turns, and the everwidening circle of "dead" space that goesd around it, yes people normally hate it, almost irrationally. Which for 2D6 S4 hits with normal saves allowed its a little silly. Much worse is the nurgle 18" spell of doom, man that cost me half an army....