PDA

View Full Version : E-Bay mentalism

Flipmode
17-02-2009, 12:36
Has anyone noticed any pattern in the bidding of items on E-Bay recently/over time?

In the last few weeks I've been filling out some areas of my Eldar army list, trying to pick up some guard infantry whilst they're cheap and get some Mk IV dreadnought arms for a friend.

Now, the dreadnought arms in particular caused me some problems. Maybe it is just because it has 'Forgeworld' in the description and so attracted some crazy child like beings with access to a Paypal account... They ended up bidding MORE than if they had simply bought the arms direct from forgeworld!

Has forgeworld banned certain people from buying direct? Do they have to hunt for their next fix of resin on the black market?

Azhrarn
17-02-2009, 12:42
Forgeworld can also be somewhat tricky to pay even if you have a creditcard.

Certain dutch and swiss banks for instance refuse to give out a persons adress data for verification when making a creditcard payment, and FW won't accept payment without that adress verification.

End result, if you have a card from a bank that does not give out this data making any purchase from FW is effectively impossible, unless the order is of sufficient size to allow for a bank transfer. (300 pounds or more)

I doubt FW would ban anyone from spending money in their store, but this way it can become somewhat difficult.

BigRob
17-02-2009, 12:44
I'm not sure what you mean?

Most eBay sellers with big shops will sell the boxed sets at a discount but when you add on the P&P it costs you more than if you'd gone to the GW shop. Alot of them also charge a "handling fee" to cover their paypal costs even though such a thing is no longer allowed by eBay.

The rare/OOP models and books are usually on the big stores for a rediculous amount. The store will wait for any regular joe selling them, buy the model for a crazy amount and then its on the store for even more (Braugh the slavelord was on one shop for 500+)

Forgeworld is a bit of a gamble pon eBay after the epic tanks being sold as 40K ones incident. People got a bit weary, but some forgeworld stuff attracts crazy bids and some people get into bidding wars without thinking. Some people also think that paying the bit extra is prefeerable to waiting the weeks it takes FW to turn around an order (in some cases).

But it's not all doom and gloom, I just bagged the Hogshead Death on the Riek for a 10 in great condition with the map still included. Now if I can just find Power behind the Throne........

Col. Dash
17-02-2009, 12:55
I noticed this as well. I think alot of it is less a problem of buying from FW and more a problem of waiting for FW to deliver. If you buy from EBAY, you might get the item in a week or two. Buy from FW, you might get it in a month or two. I purchase from both places fairly regularly and if its something I need, I am willing to pay a little bit more(not alot like some I have seen) to get it quicker. Some people i think do not check the price difference or are aware of the current dollar to pound rate, which in my case plays a major role in it.
--What ticks me are the following:
-People listing things as "NOT Forgeworld" such trickery and keyword manipulation is annoying.
-People putting "Pro-painted" in the subject line. Most of these i have to ask the question, "In whose world is this pro-painted?" Maybe for a kindergartner this would be a pro-painted paint job, but come on, half of these are barely level two(tabletop), if lucky level three(above average) paint jobs. NOTE to ebay sellers, if you arent a golden daemon level painter or a professional paint shop, quit putting pro-painted because it is not and we just laugh at you.
(I might have my levels a bit off, its been awhile since i have seen them written down and used them thus the description after each in case the number is wrong)

IJW
17-02-2009, 12:56
Yeah, anything with Forgeworld in the auction will normally reach at least 75% of the new price and sometimes go above it.

FW turnaround time, postage fees, credit card problems etc. all contribute to this.

maelstrom66669
17-02-2009, 13:07
Yeah some of the ebay auctions for 40k crack me up up, the "pro painted" is one for sure for one I dont want models already painted, they arent gonna match my army anyways, and if some of those are pro painted, mine should be in white dwarf.

Another is people who try to list things for way more points then they really are, such as saying 15 models is "5000 POINTS ARMY!!!!!! READY TO PLAY!!!!!" and trying to charge 300 dollars for it, come on.

NealSmith
17-02-2009, 13:08
Yeah, anything with Forgeworld in the auction will normally reach at least 75% of the new price and sometimes go above it.

FW turnaround time, postage fees, credit card problems etc. all contribute to this.

Even the non-FW stuff goes for more than 75% of retail. I set mine at 75% retail - S&H and hope for the best. Don't get me wrong I win enough to keep me busy, but I can go through 10 auctions before I win just one.

Sholto
17-02-2009, 13:11
FW delivery times are much improved (ordered from them on Tuesday last week and got my delivery yesterday, although it was a special delivery so I think they rush those), but I have to wonder when I see people bidding 7 plus p&p for a Tau Heavy Gun Drone when you can buy two for 10 on FW.

Very occasionally FW items will be put up at a Buy It Now price. Watch for those, especially painted ones, since they usually indicate the seller has little idea of the actual value (I got two of the Heavy Gun Drones, for example, for 5 using Buy It Now). A bad paint job can always be stripped off.

Sholto

Sholto

Lord Malorne
17-02-2009, 13:11
They are using the term pro-painted correctly, though this of course means pro-painted is now as a general rule, rather crap.

Sholto
17-02-2009, 13:20
They are using the term pro-painted correctly, though this of course means pro-painted is now as a general rule, rather crap. Technically all pro-painted means is that it was painted for money, so if you have ever painted something on commission, you are a pro-painter. This, however, is probably not what most buyers think when they see "pro-painted" in the listing. Then, of course, there are the sellers who don't care what it means and put "pro-painted" anyway because they dry brushed them, or because they used a Citadel wash.

Frankly, the term is meaningless and the only way to tell is by the photographs. If a seller really knows what they are doing as a painter, they know how to photograph their models to show them off. It's an essential skill. Poor photos = avoid.

Sholto

maelstrom66669
17-02-2009, 13:26
There are several up right now that look like 1st grade art projects... Their pro from managing to get 35 different colors slopped on one model XD.

ExarPucc
17-02-2009, 14:30
I always enjoy seeing when GW models go from more than MSRP. I remember seeing a Capt. Lysander sell for 22.00 + 6.00 in shipping.

chromedog
17-02-2009, 14:35
Munchkins with paypal will do it through ebay as they can't order through forgeworld that way (FW do NOT accept paypal. For once, yay for them.).

That they would pay less for the same piece from FW is irrelevant as they can't order FW without a card and in any case, they have paypal.

Mannimarco
17-02-2009, 14:43
not going to name any names but theres one person in particular who puts up forge world stugg for about 40 saying its not even available in the preorder section yet........and that model? lord zhufor! not a bad way of making some extra cash, buy stuu from forgeworld then jack the price to sell to the kids who cant buy from it

thats pretty low

Kettu
17-02-2009, 14:46
I used to E-bay shop for miniatures but after one or two a***holes sold fake items to me (much love to pay-pal for the refunds) I kinda gave up. Theres a store in Sydney that does 10% GW anyway.

I found though, there is a fair few E-bay sales that fetch far to close to its rrp new from GW to be worth it.

Mannimarco
17-02-2009, 14:50
lots of independent retailers also have ebay stores, i just got 10 mega armoured nobs for 56 quid (4 postage so still not to bad), and its the oop twin linked shoota ones! still in blister packs and comes in the brown box with a gw internal use only sticker, granted half the blisters didnt have heads in them but still pretty good

40kdhs
17-02-2009, 15:33
Paypal and Ebay go together.

Mannimarco
17-02-2009, 15:39
yes, yes they do although many places online use paypal, not just ebay

Sholto
17-02-2009, 16:02
(FW do NOT accept paypal. For once, yay for them.) Thanks for the note about FW not taking Paypal - I had not appreciated that. But why is it good that FW don't take Paypal? They don't take cheques written on the side of sheep, either (it's happened), but what's that to me?

Sholto

Forlorn
17-02-2009, 16:05
Don't forget as well that a lot of times with the currency conversion a model that seems "expensive" to you isn't to another if the conversion works in his/her favor. When I posted items on Ebay I noticed a lot of buyers from the UK when the US dollar was in the hole. My 2 cents.

Lucifer216
17-02-2009, 16:05
Don't forget that often the Forgeworld models have been already cleaned and assembled. Once you add in the fact that postage is often cheaper from ebay sellers and forgeworld and its unsurprising that some people are willing to pay more for Ebay'd titans.

Penguin of Death
17-02-2009, 16:23
I didn't see the final price, but was watching a FW Modelling masterclass book (RRP 26 + 3.20 P&P) that was up to 38 + 5 P&P

ozzyboy
17-02-2009, 16:29
Yea, Ebay can often get hectic. I think that people get invested in bidding and just keep bidding, often skyrocketing the price above what people could've payed for it. Ebay works well for buying large lots(bits and such). And the as pro painted issue, its often missinterpeted. The "1st grade art project" listings were "pro" in the owners eyes. I'm a commissioned painter, but do not consider my self a pro painter. I couldn't ever compare my work to that of the 'Eavy Metal team, but like to aspire to it. Another idea to consider is the idea of the "pro painters" environment. The only reason im "pro" is that i could paint better than the people around me. Thats why they ask me to paint their minis. I guess the issue has a lot of grey area.

Thanatos_elNyx
17-02-2009, 17:07
Most eBay sellers with big shops will sell the boxed sets at a discount but when you add on the P&P it costs you more than if you'd gone to the GW shop.

Not for me, I can buy a box of 5 horrors on eBay for 10 but they cost 20 in my local lgs, which is a saving even when you add P&P (especially on multiple items).

Lord Cook
17-02-2009, 17:14
Paypal is fine, and I find it invaluable for day to day use, such as paying people money securely without having to send a cheque in the mail.

As for eBay? Keep an eye out and occasionally you can find something worthwhile.

Grazzy
17-02-2009, 17:37
There are always trends on ebay - for example, just before an army gets an update the previous range of models can be bought for peanuts.

At the moment, black reach dreadnoughts can be bought for about 5 - just buy some new arms or use some old ones and you have yourself a 25 model.

Lucifer216
17-02-2009, 17:52
It's worth noting that in general, Ebay auctions for 40K go for more than what a good online store sells at as a matter of course.

Dragon's Tears offers 25 per cent off and although they're not fast at delivering (in order to keep costs down they keep little stock in hand), they often beat a lot of seemingly good bargains.

40kdhs
17-02-2009, 18:12
If you order a FW model at a GW store, you don't have to pay for the shipment but it can takes forever for you to receive it.