PDA

View Full Version : Melta Cannon

SDKFZ
17-02-2009, 18:14
Hi !

Does anyone out there know how the Melta Cannon for Imperial Titans look ??

I have only seen the old plastic from the Adeptus titanicus Game, and that one does not look very nice.

All the new "Heavies" have the option to mount one, but NO Pics. !!

PLEASE HELP ME ! I whant to build one for my Reaver.

/ SDKFZ

Tonberry
17-02-2009, 18:16
I'd imagine it would look like a multimelta, just alot bigger.

Illiterate Scribe
17-02-2009, 18:27
Well, depending on what description you go by, melta weapons are essentially microwave lasers. As such, you might get quite a nice effect by not doing the conventional weapon scaling (hurr i maek flaemer biggar ;)) but instead have some enormous, satellite-like apparatus with a tiny focusing array. Some sort of grimdarkised radio telescope, perhaps.

There's a precedent for this, too - if you look at an inferno pistol, a meltagun, and a multimelta (which admittedly have two), they all have pretty much the same nozzle, just a larger firing bit (which is characterised by those ridged canisters and tubes).

Lord Cook
17-02-2009, 18:39
I like Illiterate Scribe's idea. It's far more original than just using a massive melta weapon.

Lord Damocles
17-02-2009, 18:39
I believe this little baby (http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/robynln/Titan%20WIP/Carnival061.jpg) is armed with a Melta Cannon.

Laser guided fanatic
17-02-2009, 18:42
Well yes you would need a very big dish. If melta weps are microwaves which im a bit sceptical about. because they're good at anti-tank and tanks don't have a lot of water in them do they. One would think microwave weps would be more anti-infantry just look at the Microwave Hummer.

Illiterate Scribe
17-02-2009, 18:44
I believe this little baby (http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/robynln/Titan%20WIP/Carnival061.jpg) is armed with a Melta Cannon.

Don't post that link! Armorcast's almost as high on the GW hitlist as sq- er, the small bearded ones. That said, they are much better for converting than the newer FW ones (once you hit reaver level, it's difficult to make a scratchbuild that supports its own weight) - all those open spaces, just waiting to have bas-relief of Imperial history, or blasphemous chaos marks sculpted/painted onto them.

Anyway, are you using the resin Reaver then, SDKFZ?

Be sure to post pictures when you're done.

Lord Damocles
17-02-2009, 18:45
On how Melta weapons work, I remembered this from an old thread:

3rd Ed. main rulebook, pg.61:
'MELTA WEAPONS
Melta weapons, sometimes called fusion guns, meltas or cookers, fire a sub-molecular thermal blast over a short distance, causing massive molecular breakdown and turning the target into molten slag and steaming vapour in a matter of seconds.
Most melta guns use highly pressurised pyrum-petrol gases, charged to produce a fearsome blast. Melta guns use a two part injection system to force the gas into a sub molecular state, which will vapourise just about any target. This results in an awesomely powerful blast at short range, with the heat dissipating rapidly at longer ranges. The two part reaction makes melta weapons slow to fire but the devastating results make them a popular support weapon in the battlefield, especially useful in an anti-tank role, or when attacking enemy strongpoints. Many commanders prefer melta weapons over the less reliable plasma gun.
A melta gun makes very little noise when fired except for the high pitched hiss of vaporizing moisture which becomes a roaring blast as the target detonates'.

Johnnyfrej
17-02-2009, 18:45
I believe there is some sort of Melta Cannon that can be used on Warlord and possibly Reaver Titans.

Illiterate Scribe
17-02-2009, 19:00
Damocles - yeah, I was discussing that on another forum a while ago. Everything seems to have a different view on their work, not helped by things that don't really make sense like

a sub-molecular thermal blast

So, is it firing energy, or is it firing stuff? Will we ever know?

Well yes you would need a very big dish. If melta weps are microwaves which im a bit sceptical about. because they're good at anti-tank and tanks don't have a lot of water in them do they. One would think microwave weps would be more anti-infantry just look at the Microwave Hummer.

Oh, I dunno, if you're focussing a lot of energy into a small area, not doing a blast/wide area cover, then use against vehicles would seem a good idea. Also note that it's only certain frequencies of microwave that excite the bonds in water - you could conceivably use a different frequency/wavelength. Actually, thinking about it, the 'excellent penetrating power/short range' would seem to gel more with ultraviolet and beyond, as well as potentially tying in with the nuclear theme going on, but microwave has the heat-ray connotations.

ScItRiX
17-02-2009, 19:27
At Damocles: I never thought it was possible, but that Reaver looks entirely stoned.

Zanzibarthefirst
17-02-2009, 21:37
I personally would naje uit look like a massive quad barrelled melta-gun, although based on a melta and a multi-melta, a quad-croed melta would only have 48" wtf!?!

Bunnahabhain
17-02-2009, 23:42
Damocles - yeah, I was discussing that on another forum a while ago. Everything seems to have a different view on their work, not helped by things that don't really make sense like

So, is it firing energy, or is it firing stuff? Will we ever know?

It's firing bad science. You decide if that is energy or stuff...

The 2nd/3rd ed description is actually of a plasma weapon- excited sub-molecular matter is plasma.

MajorWesJanson
17-02-2009, 23:43
The part I think is most iconic about imperial melta weapons is the vented barrel. I'd go with a single scalled up vent barrel mounted flash suppressor style to a long barrel with a stock that uses a fuel tank mount. Sort of a long barreled melta. It would have a similar aesthetic, but without looking like a simple scale-up.

Wolflord Havoc
18-02-2009, 00:35
This is in ref: to making one for a Reaver I presume?

I always envisioned it as being fairly 'stumpy' with a big perferated cowling around a slightly smaller single large barrel. In many wasy like a enlarged but shortened Melta gun - rather than stay a multi Barrelled monstrosity!

Illiterate Scribe
18-02-2009, 01:21
This is in ref: to making one for a Reaver I presume?

I always envisioned it as being fairly 'stumpy' with a big perferated cowling around a slightly smaller single large barrel. In many wasy like a enlarged but shortened Melta gun - rather than stay a multi Barrelled monstrosity!

This is a very nice idea. Cowling (again, like an observatory) would really enhance the 'small but deadly' sense of the cannon. A bit like the MEDUSA from the Mortal Engines books.

Deus
18-02-2009, 08:24
By the sounds of it it is a fusion gun. Similar to a plasma gun in that it is a heated material being projected but rather than just the material being heated by some conventional power source it is heated by the same fusion reaction that occurs in the SUN :eek:

But that wouldn't extend to the game rules.

Especially why plasma weapons get hot because they are heated by a hair dryer but melta weapons and their SUN don't. And also why the distance it can be fired is shorter.

Another explanation is that it may be a thermite like reaction (google "thermite youtube" for awesome chemistry fun)

jeffersonian000
18-02-2009, 08:41
Back in the day, Multi-meltas had two modes of fire: a high strength/short ranged attack or a flamer template. The flamer aspect was supported by the fluff text mentioned above.

SJ

Hrafn
18-02-2009, 08:42

I am not sure. If I remember correctly from my AM Epic Titans, the Melta Cannon looked at little different. The one on the picture look more like a Turbo Laser (or whatever that multi-short laser thingie was called back then :p). The Melta Cannon (or was it called something like Inferno Cannon - can't remember!) was quite short and stocky with "vents" on the square barrel..

GimpMaster
18-02-2009, 09:05
that gun in the picture is an inferno cannon...

no idea what a reaver sized melta cannon would look like..but i bet it would be rather spiffy

i still prefer the all purpose fluff abusing turbo laser of dooooooooom reaver

StormWulfen
18-02-2009, 09:27
how about getting hold of a FW titan inferno cannon and cutting the pilot flames from the bottom

like one of them (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/jackal.htm)

yes/no?

SDKFZ
21-02-2009, 19:29
Thanks a lot, Mates !!

But now im even more confused then when i started. :confused:

Youve given me a lot of nice versions to chose from.

Decisions, decisions,...............................

/ SDKFZ

IJW
21-02-2009, 19:55
Don't post that link! Armorcast's almost as high on the GW hitlist as sq- er, the small bearded ones.
Given that it's a directly scaled up version of the Jes Goodwin Epic Reaver that's still on sale from GW (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1290359&prodId=prod1110139), what's the problem?

The part I think is most iconic about imperial melta weapons is the vented barrel.
Yep. It's the one part of Melta weaponry that's stayed the same all the way through from RT, and not just for Imperial versions either.

Back in the day, Multi-meltas had two modes of fire: a high strength/short ranged attack or a flamer template.
I'm pretty sure that was just a special rule for the 2nd edition Marine Dreadnought.

I am not sure. If I remember correctly from my AM Epic Titans, the Melta Cannon looked at little different.
The plastic ones in the Adeptus Mechanicus box didn't really look like anything, just a blob of barrels and stuff.

The one on the picture look more like a Turbo Laser (or whatever that multi-short laser thingie was called back then :p). The Melta Cannon (or was it called something like Inferno Cannon - can't remember!) was quite short and stocky with "vents" on the square barrel..

that gun in the picture is an inferno cannon...

It most certainly IS a Melta Cannon.

SoL link (http://solegends.com/citcat89/c897001titans-h.htm).

Lord Damocles
21-02-2009, 21:41
It most certainly IS a Melta Cannon.
Which was kind of why I posted it :p

Really people, I'm not just making this stuff up ;)

Orca
21-02-2009, 23:25
Ok, but what does that spire do?

Illiterate Scribe
22-02-2009, 00:26
Given that it's a directly scaled up version of the Jes Goodwin Epic Reaver that's still on sale from GW (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1290359&prodId=prod1110139), what's the problem?

GW cut off Armorcast pretty harshly. Hence, they aren't very compatible with the FW rules either.

Finn
22-02-2009, 02:11
@OP:

I believe if you look at the picture of the Warlord titan in the Apocalypse book, its right arm has a some sort of melta weapon...unless I am gravely mistaken.

MajorWesJanson
22-02-2009, 05:03
Nope, it has a Volcano cannon and a Quake cannon.

SDKFZ
22-02-2009, 19:57
@ Orca : Nothing, but carry a very big Flag !! :D

/ SDKFZ

Bodysnatcher
22-02-2009, 20:41
The spire gave morale bonuses in Titan Legions era Epic. I still remember the multiple pages of weapon options and the silliness that resulted. I still remember my Warlord titan with a warp missile, a vortex missile, a wrecking ball, a close combat head and a chainfist who used to take on whole gargant bigmobs on his own and win.

SDKFZ
22-02-2009, 20:44
AAHHH, the sweet memories that brought back !

But back then i never thought that id be building my own Titans in 40K scale :D

Will see how ill do with that Melta.....................mumble, mumble.....

/ SDKFZ