PDA

View Full Version : Black Legion, unplayable under 1500 pts?

actiondan
17-02-2009, 22:58
So I was playing a 1000pt game against my mate (who was playing Eldar) and in tune with all my armies I have been trying to keep my Black Legion balanced and not too over the top (2 lash prince etc).
What I found was that for 1000pts I got almost nothing, especially none of the flavour that makes Chaos unique, and was brutally shot to pieces in 3 turns.
So we have agreed to have a rematch at 1500pts and again I realised that I could not take much of the stuff that makes Chaos fun to play so we have again bumped it up to 2000pts.
Now I feel I have a competitive army that is "Chaos" rather than just spikey marines and stands a chance of doing what I want on the field, the question I have is whether Chaos is truly competitive under 1500pts?
I quite like the idea of a Chaos Lord and not a Daemon Prince, Traitor Marines rather than Legion Specific (I already have a 4000pt Nurgle army and wanted something more challenging), of not having to tool everything up and put too much "weird" in my army. Is it possible or am I fated to have Icons all over the place and 2 Lash Princes?:rolleyes:

blackcherry
17-02-2009, 23:04
Not in the slightest, though if that is how you wish to play your Black Legion it is up to you. After all, the Black Legion are the the true masters of mixed warfare. They have a combination of everything as they do not wish to limit themselves tactically.

They don't care what god you worship, as long as you are allied with and dedicated to the legion. Of course, thats all fluff.

Game wise, I would imagine they were created (or kept) to allow people to take a mix of everything, without feeling bad about not having a mono god force.

maelstrom66669
17-02-2009, 23:04
So we have agreed to have a rematch at 1500pts and again I realised that I could not take much of the stuff that makes Chaos fun to play so we have again bumped it up to 2000pts.

What is it your looking to play? I know it might seem wierd but I dont use psychic powers, daemon princes, or obliterators, and I won my first two league matches(first two games EVER as chaos actually)

I take terminators, beserkers, warriors(with icon of khorne usually), a defiler, a dread, all of which have done pretty well, you will have to be more specific on what it is you feel you "cant take" at 1500, since my termies in their lr run me around 500.

dal9ll
17-02-2009, 23:05
First realize that saying Black Legion is "unplayable" (an extremely strong word in this case) is like saying the all of Chaos Space Marines are unplayable, since theyre the equivalent to CSM what Ultramarines are to SM.

Im certain that the problem here is your list. Not the Black Legion. Post it and the Eldar list and we'll talk specifics. Dont beat youself up over it though. Eldar can be a very tough army to beat.

EVIL INC
17-02-2009, 23:13
Black legion (or chaos undivided mix and match) is a very strong list regardless of the points value even without getting cheesy. You would have to give your army list to get help tweaking it. Good luck in the tactics section and in your future games.

Gray Hunter
17-02-2009, 23:28
No army is ever "unplayable" at any points value. You can always select something that can win. That's why we have points values, so that you get two forces of roughly equal strength at a given points value.

You had a bad game and you got torn to shreds. It could be that the Eldar list you faced was exceptionally good at tearing CSM (not specifically Black Legion) apart. It doesn't mean that you can't come up with a list of your own to counter that army. Indeed, with 1000 points of Black Legion you could come up with a decidedly nasty anti-Eldar list.

DhaosAndy
17-02-2009, 23:50
Try: DP (wings, MOT, WT, WOC) + 2 x 10 CSM + rhino + 2 units of Lesser daemons + 5 bikes + 3 oblits. Eldar are tricky for MEQ to deal with, what success I've had has been by dint of aggression, basically keep your army together and smash the whole thing into anything that comes in range. You can use the bikes and the threat of DS'ing daemons & oblits to control his mobility.

Rydmend
18-02-2009, 06:19
summoned greaters daemons are amazing in low point games. For 100 points you get a ws6 s6 t6 model with 5 attacks and a 4+ invuln, yes please.

In low point games I usually take a daemon prince with MoK and wings and a generic greater daemon, for 240 points you have 2 solid MC's. I would fill out the rest of my points with 2 csm squads in rhinos (with cheap champs to pop the GD) a vindicator and maybe some obliterators.

TheOverlord
18-02-2009, 07:10
I find the Black Legion is extremely powerful under 1k points. Just bring as many basic marines as you can and fill it up with some powerful AT weapons and you're gold. Bring a few Noise Marines if you feel like killing hordes. You will outshoot everyone and also outlast them. In 1k points most people won't be fielding that many heavy armor options and not that many elites so your basic troops will dominate the field.

Lord Damocles
18-02-2009, 07:59
Never heard of mech Plasma rush eh?

-----------------------
EDIT:
Whoooo! 1000 posts! [does little dance]

Not sure if this is a cause for celebration or concern...

actiondan
18-02-2009, 08:30
Hmmmm it seems I didnt know what I was doing then... The idea was that as this is a new army to me I would try out new tactics weapon fits etc and find a good balance. Background wise I didnt want to go too powerful at 1000pts, a daemon Prince I wanted at 2000pts or more and the same with a Sorcerer and Greater Daemon.
For the 1000ps I took Chaos Lord with Lightning Claws, 2 squads of 9 Bezerkers in Rhinos, 2 Oblits and a squad of 12 Marines with Melta and Flamer (the idea being they would sit on an objective).
It was partly due to bad tactics on my part (forgetting smoke launcher in turn 1 Grrr) and the Oblits getting melta'd after deepstriking but I felt that I didnt have that many options on the field. Guess I will have to sell out and dust off my deamons and get the Havoc squad ready :)

actiondan
18-02-2009, 08:35
oh yes forgot to mention that it was a squad of Dark Reapers that really mucked me up. I had no way of returning their fire when they destroyed both the Rhinos (Eldar psychic powers Grrrr) and as mentioned the Oblits were taken out after one turn of shooting (I was sure they were T5. Instant death came as a big surprise)

Autobot HQ
18-02-2009, 08:56
Reapers will do that to you though, you really need to neutralise or avoid their lanes of fire to effectively counter them as a MEQ army. I'm primarily an Eldar player and I know from experience that if you let Reapers target what they want, you'll pay for it every time.

My suggestion unfortunately would be a Sorcerer with LoS to drag them out of the cover they are inevitbly hiding in, either move them behind it to remove their Line of Sight, or into the open bunched together, and plasma cannon them to death with Obliterators.

I know I know, it means the Lash of Submission, but Chaos generally lack good anti-cover options at range, so it may be your best bet.