PDA

View Full Version : White Consuls

He Who Laughs
02-05-2005, 09:32
G'day peoples, glad to see Portent 1.5 got past the April 30th deadine :)

Anyway - just a question:

I'm interested in the White Consuls, I like the colour scheme (semi-United Nations Peacekeepers) and am interested in finding out a bit more. I've done a bit of internet-scouring and can't seem to find much, so I'm assuming that the White Consuls are one of those Chapters that GW just give a name and colour scheme to and leave it at that. I know that they appear in the SM Codex, and in BFG photos - but is anyone aware of any other sources of info about this Ultramarine Second Founding Chapter?

Thanks for any help
He Who Laughs

Rich
02-05-2005, 11:55
There was at least one strike cruiser around during the latter stages of the gothic war conflict, but other than that I dont know. There may have been a short story about a white consuls apothecary in one of the short story collections, but tbh he could have been from a different chapter and my memory is playing games with me

Sojourner
02-05-2005, 12:32
Heh, I like the take on the colours, never considered that before. You going to build that into the fluff at all? a greater-than-usual concern for the welfare of the world they've just crippled, etc.

He Who Laughs
02-05-2005, 13:36
Well, assuming I can't find any GW-certified fluff, I might just have to (not that I mind, I enjoy writing fluff) - the only bits I have to go off now is a Captain Palatine, a Strike Cruiser called "Eternal Truth" and a Battlebarge called "Sword of Faith" and the fact they're 2nd Founding off Ultramarines.

Going off this I get the feeling they are very bold, proud and sparkly-clean (none of this skirt wearing, dark secret, galaxy scouring of the DA's). If it came to it, I was going to tie in a more humanitarian feel (ala Salamanders) - "Guardians of the Lesser Humans" ideas.
Perhaps very precise take on warfare (no WMD's ie Whirlwinds and Vindicators) - as little collateral damage as possible.
Although being a 2nd Founding off Ultras would mean they'd probably be a full-on Codex Chapter - I like the new Trait system too much, and would probably go a Minor Divergence with "Take Pride in Your Colours" as a disadvantage (similar to how UN Peacekeepers have to make their presence known) and either "Purity Above All" to emphasise the humanitarian/cleanliness or "Cleanse and Purify" and have them all in Rhinos - to emphasise the "take your support with you".

If anyone has anymore thoughts on this take on the background (and/or a more in depth view on UN Peacekeeping operations and how they be tied into the White Consuls) feel free to post away...

Puffin Magician
02-05-2005, 20:45
Imperial Armour Volume 2 as well as Ironhands.com says that they are a member of the Adeptus Praeses, which is:
...a group of 20 Chapters formed with the express purpose of of guarding the Eye of Terror.

I'm pretty sure that's all they do, and aren't allowed to leave. I hope you have some Ulthwé and Chaos opponents.

I think some good traits to go with your army theme are Purity Above All [we're clean and we like people!] and/or Never Dispair [we never give up!].

He Who Laughs
03-05-2005, 00:03
Imperial Armour Volume 2 as well as Ironhands.com says that they are a member of the Adeptus Praeses, which is:

I'm pretty sure that's all they do, and aren't allowed to leave. I hope you have some Ulthwé and Chaos opponents.

I think some good traits to go with your army theme are Purity Above All [we're clean and we like people!] and/or Never Dispair [we never give up!].

Thanks for that Puffin.

Interesting. But is it possible to be both an Astartes Praeses Founding and a Second Founding Chapter? (Seeing as the other Astartes Praeses Chapters have various founding dates through history). Can anyone clear that up?

Also, (not trying to prove you wrong) but they do apparently get out once in a while an visit other sectors (for some cleansing yet humanitarian action ;) ) - due to the commonly re-printed photo of the "White Consuls Battlegroup Nemesis on route to the Gothic Sector" - ie when they show pictures of SM BFG models, it usually this picture.

Thanks for the link, that ironhands.com summary is really something!

Puffin Magician
03-05-2005, 01:07
It's probable that they were created during the Second Founding, and then got drafted into the Adeptus Praeses Founding later on and sent to the Eye.

I wouldn't be surprised if the twenty Chapters went on rotation, say... 10 of them being stationed right near the Eye for a a few years while the other half is off killing various heretics/xenos just to keep themselves sharp. I doubt that they're allowed to stray far from the Eye of Terror, however.

He Who Laughs
04-05-2005, 03:10
Okey dokey, I've managed to compile most of the official GW fluff for the chapter and distill it into the following post (thanks to all those who unknowingly helped with this):

WHITE CONSULS – The Story so far…

Homeworld:
Not known (apparently fleet based- Astartes Praeses Chapter, assumed to be based near Eye of Terror)

Gene Seed:
Second Founding of Ultramarines – therefore pure Ultramarines geneseed (as they were once Ultramarines)

Primarch:
Roboute Gulliman (direct descendant)

Notable actions:

Gothic War
One of three Chapters sent to Gothic Sector when warp storms abated to combat Abaddon (White Consuls Battlegroup Nemesis known to be present)

Scouring of Lethe (Gothic Sector)
Originally the homeworld of the Flame Falcons (Cursed Founding) – purged by the Grey Knights (assume this was the Scouring of Lethe – therefore White Consuls also present). However, the quote from Captain Palatine “Onwards they came and we were ready. A tide of filth and heresy swept towards us but it could not pierce the adamantine shield of our purity and devotion. Our righteousness flung back the traitors, back into their Daemonhaunted fastness and from thence into the void where the Emperor's justice was served upon their craven souls” suggest possibly more Chaos-orientated adversaries. The flipside of this is that the cursed Flame Falcons would appear heretical and “daemonhaunted” compared to the purity of the White Consuls. The other alternative is that Lethe was scoured at least twice in its history.

Liberation of Ophidian Subsector
Assisted in the capture of 33 rogue psykers (two of which were the Apex Twins) – present Companies took horrendous casualties when a number of the psykers escaped during the victory Triumph.

Defence of Cadia - 13th Black Crusade
All ten companies were present near the Eye of Terror during Abaddons 13th Black Crusade.
Boarding action against Alpha Legion ship to reclaim lost 4th Company standard.

Famous names:
- Captain Palatine (present in Gothic War)
- 3rd Squad, 4th Company led by Veteran Sergeant Marcus Hothmiller (EoT)
- Sword of Truth (battle barge)
- Eternal Faith (strike cruiser)
- Hermes (strike cruiser)
- Battlegroup Nemesis (Battlegroup sent to Gothic Sector)

Combat doctrine:
No specifics, but based on the fact that they are Second Founding from Ultramarines, it would be very close too, if not 100%, Codex Astartes combat doctrine.

Beliefs:
Again, not known. Numerous actions alongside puritan Inquisitors and the fact that they are Astartes Praeses – suggests a very holy, pure and righteous belief in themselves – and are dedicated to fighting the Traitor, the Heretic and the Mutant. (Daemonhunters / Witch-hunters).

Theres also apparently references in the Eisenhorn book "Malleus", but I don't have ready access to it.

It kinds throws out my ideas of a more humanitarian leaning for the White Consuls (but that was brought on solely by the UN-esque white and blue colour scheme)... oh well.

Brother Othorio
04-05-2005, 05:16
the only thing i can remember about them is:
"The White Consuls are a Successor Chapter of the Ultramarines Legion, and are a Codex Chapter. Their color scheme is the exact opposite of the Ultramarines. For example, their Veteran Sergeants wear blue helmets, and all members of the Chapter have blue unit markings."
(which i cut and pasted from Sterns IA, but i do recall reading in Codex Ultramarines about 10 years ago.. i think..)

note: this may have changed as of "How to Paint Space Marines" since the excerpt in UKWD304 has an example squad of the 4th company.. with blue trims (tho the actual diagram next to it has green trims)

Mobius One
07-05-2005, 05:00
I've just recently started a White Consuls army, although I've changed their name to the Lionhearts (as "White Consuls" hardly seemed an inspiring name for a chapter of the Emperor's finest), and their emblem to that of a lion instead of an eagle's head (I've kept the white armor and blue trim, however). I've started a thread on how to paint white armor in the painting forum, if you were interested in painting techniques.

Strangely enough, I was thinking of giving them a humanitarian feel as well when writing their fluff. With the depressing, pessimistic 40k universe, I thought designing a chapter that truly fights the good fight would be a much needed change. They would be good guys, plain and simple, like knights of old; valuing even the lowliest human life, protecting the weak, valuing honor and courage above all. I decided to borrow some knightly (or to be more specific, Brettonian) characteristics when it came to writing their fluff.

I also decided to give them We Stand Alone as a trait; it would fit in with their background, since many other offices of the Imperium would no doubt find a "humanitarian" chapter a liability.

I'm curious as to how you would've written their background had you decided to make them a "humanitarian" chapter as you originally decided. Did you have any ideas on where to take them? Slightly off topic, I know, but I'm curious.

-Mobius One.

sigur
07-05-2005, 12:30
It's probable that they were created during the Second Founding, and then got drafted into the Adeptus Praeses Founding later on and sent to the Eye.

I wouldn't be surprised if the twenty Chapters went on rotation, say... 10 of them being stationed right near the Eye for a a few years while the other half is off killing various heretics/xenos just to keep themselves sharp. I doubt that they're allowed to stray far from the Eye of Terror, however.

Considering the situation, they won't go hunting xenos just for fun, but more because the Imperium is still in a critical state. ;)

@Brother Othorio: Looked it up and it's exactly the same text as in Codex Ultramarines.

HalberdBlue
08-05-2005, 02:31
White Consuls are in the book Malleus. They got their asses whooped though, and only mentioned on a handful of pages.

Ki-Adi-Monkey
08-05-2005, 15:35
They got their asses whooped though

No they didn't. A few of them got killed, that's about it.

Rob

Sojourner
08-05-2005, 16:01
I've just recently started a White Consuls army, although I've changed their name to the Lionhearts (as "White Consuls" hardly seemed an inspiring name for a chapter of the Emperor's finest), and their emblem to that of a lion instead of an eagle's head

They're not White Consuls then, are they?

Mobius One
09-05-2005, 05:02
No, Soujourner; what I meant to get across was that they're basically White Consuls "in spirit" but with a different name and emblem. Forgive my unclear post.

-Mobius One.

sigur
09-05-2005, 13:08
They're not White Consuls then, are they?

Good comment. Ooooh, I had to glue my fingers to the desk to aviod writing that. ;)
Do we know enough of the White Consuls to be able to make chapters "in the spirit of the White Consuls"?

Delicious Soy
09-05-2005, 13:20
If we're taking BL as canon then they have a interesting curiosity, their chapter master is referred to as 'Primarch'.

Typheron
09-05-2005, 13:26
it could be that the chapter master is given the title of primarch as a mark of honour within the chapter, although there are issues with this given the founding chapters would probably think this a bit of a travesty.

more than likely its just another mistake caused by crappy fluff checking.

Mobius One
10-05-2005, 01:12
Well, sigur, if this thread is any indication we know very little about them. Maybe I should have said "inspired by the color scheme of" instead of "in the spirit of". Bah, whatever; forget I ever posted here.

:rolleyes:

-Mobius One.