PDA

View Full Version : Noob w/ Nurgle: 2k for Upcoming PnP

IronNerd
18-02-2009, 04:49
I am going to be jumping into a paint and play with the local club here in the coming months, and it will be my first venture into Fantasy. I've played a bit, know the rules pretty well, but don't know the tactics. I've decided I want to go with WoC, as I love the models, and I decided to go pure Nurgle theme, as I really want to enjoy this army, even if it isn't amazing. Please give me any comments you can, I need the help I'm sure.

Exalted Champ w/ MoN on Palanquin, BSB, Festering Shroud, Shield, Halberd
Festus the Leechlord
Chaos Sorceror Lvl. 2 w/ MoN, 2 Dispel Scrolls
5 Chaos Hounds
5 Chaos Hounds
5 Chaos Hounds
20 Marauders w/ MoN, LA, Shields, Standard, Musician
12 Warriors w/ MoN, Halberds, Shields, Champ, Musician
5 Knights w/ MoN, Champ
5 Marauder Horsemen w/ Flails, Musician
2 Spawn
Hellcannon

I added the Hellcannon in recently, because I think it's pretty cool, and it seems to me like it would help mend some of the inherent weaknesses of the list. The problem is that I'm 97 points over and I'm not sure what really needs to stay. I thought about dropping the Palanquin from the Exalted, which is a lot of points, but is very COOL :D. Give me your ideas for what to drop, and your thoughts on the list in general. Thanks for helping a newbie here guys!

Pistols At Dawn
18-02-2009, 09:28
I am going to be jumping into a paint and play with the local club here in the coming months, and it will be my first venture into Fantasy. I've played a bit, know the rules pretty well, but don't know the tactics. I've decided I want to go with WoC, as I love the models, and I decided to go pure Nurgle theme, as I really want to enjoy this army, even if it isn't amazing. Please give me any comments you can, I need the help I'm sure.

Exalted Champ w/ MoN on Palanquin, BSB, Festering Shroud, Shield, Halberd
Festus the Leechlord
Chaos Sorceror Lvl. 2 w/ MoN, 2 Dispel Scrolls
5 Chaos Hounds
5 Chaos Hounds
5 Chaos Hounds
20 Marauders w/ MoN, LA, Shields, Standard, Musician
5 Knights w/ MoN, Champ
2 Spawn
Hellcannon

I added the Hellcannon in recently, because I think it's pretty cool, and it seems to me like it would help mend some of the inherent weaknesses of the list. The problem is that I'm 97 points over and I'm not sure what really needs to stay. I thought about dropping the Palanquin from the Exalted, which is a lot of points, but is very COOL :D. Give me your ideas for what to drop, and your thoughts on the list in general. Thanks for helping a newbie here guys!

I would probably drop one of the Marauder Horsemen units as you already have plenty of fast moving stuff. Also, maybe drop MoN from the foot Marauders, I usually got with MoS or nothing at all. That should probably get the excess points down.

How many points is Festus?

Neknoh
18-02-2009, 09:45
Swap the Champion for a Musician on the Knights and I would say you are set, maybe consider dropping a unit of Warhounds to get Mark of Khorne on the spawns, strength 5 spawns are wicked.

And you don't have to paint them red with lots of skulls just because they have the MoK

IronNerd
18-02-2009, 12:37
A squad of Marauder Horsemen was my first instinct, but I wasn't sure if that would leave me without mobility. Sounds like I'll be fine with only one then? If I drop them and change my champ to a musician in my knights, I should be golden. I respect and thank you for the advice on marks, but this army is more about theme than effectiveness, and I really ONLY want MoN. Thanks for the help, any other ideas?

thisisntnotjt
18-02-2009, 12:49
I doubt you need anything else. This seems like a solid balanced army. I don't know how well it'll do against Daemons or VC though...

Neknoh
18-02-2009, 12:56
Indeed, there really isn't anything else than the horsemen and the knight champion. If you want to restrict yourself to one mark, then do so, it'll STILL be an awesome army. Strength 4 is plenty and you DO get to keep one Warhound unit.

EDIT: On a sidenote, KEEP the MoN on the foot marauders, but do add 1 Marauder as well, this'll give the unit Five ranks of Five marauders (size wise) when the BsB joins them, and really, putting the Festering Shroud in a non-nurgle marauder unit is suicide.

IronNerd
18-02-2009, 18:41
Do any armies really do well against Daemons and VC? I don't think anyone in the PnP is starting them, not to say I'll never face them... I will see how my points fall out, and try to add to the marauders. Thanks for the help guys, looks like this will be what I shoot for.

Neknoh
18-02-2009, 19:05
the list you've got is basically as strong a mono-nurgle list can be, I might have wanted some Dragon Ogres in there for cracking armour, but I worked with the list at hand. Since you have the MoN and some magic, may I point you to the new FAQ? http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2350036_WarriorsofChaosFAQFeb2009.pdf

IronNerd
18-02-2009, 20:02
I noticed that in the general forum. My inexperienced Fantasy mind thinks Magnificent Buboes is going to be quite tasty...

Neknoh
18-02-2009, 20:08
And your inexperienced fantasy mind is 100% correct, use it to snipe Unit Champions in perticular, I mean, your opponent sets up to charge in and has his unit champ ready so that his R&F Killer can deal with your Marauders.

¤poof¤

"NOW FRANZ! Jump that exalted cham... Franz.... FRANZ!? Oh... hi mr Chaos ChampiAAAAAUGH!"

good times, good times :skull:

IronNerd
18-02-2009, 22:31
So now that I'm home and I have a few minutes, I made the list changes you guys suggested... and I'm still 6 points over! I'm REALLY struggling to find those points. About the only thing I can think of is perhaps dropping one unit of hounds... I thought about degrading the marauder weapons, but then I'd still be a single point over... *sigh* Help!

Neknoh
18-02-2009, 22:34
A Marauder Horsemen Musician is 6 points

This however means that you will need to use that unit more for suicide missions and/or for tackling things they can beat. Basically, one-shot missile to kill a character in a unit OR send them after warmachines and other fast cavalry, detatchments, small units of shooters etc.

Don't expect them to rally each and every turn after they've run, so don't use them to run a lot.

But that's the 6 points you want and that is an easy way of dropping it without starting to change the list around too much

IronNerd
19-02-2009, 02:42
So my marauder horsemen are a warmachine guided missile? Works for me I suppose. I still have 3 units of cheap hounds that can run away.