PDA

View Full Version : Temple guard error!

genestealer_baldric
18-02-2009, 08:30
iam fairly new to the world of fantasy and i was planning of having lord mazzimund(sp) with templeguard and chaxax (sp).:)

The problem was pointed out by a few other people that, in the second sentance of temple guard protection section it says temple guard can "ONLY" be joined by "a single slann mage priest".

But this means that Croak,Mazzimundi and Chaxax cant join the temple guard because, nowhere in their rules does it say they are slann mage preists. Even though we all know that is what croak and mazzi are. :wtf:

so as the rules stands it means that temple guard cant protect mazzi or croak and the uber temple guard of doom chaxax cant join a unit because he is not a mage preist.:(

but Chaxax can protect croak on his own but not with his temple guard buddies:wtf:

at my local GW and Local Game club have decided to ignore this oversight, but what do you reckon on it:confused:

Kerrahn
18-02-2009, 08:43
Lord Kroak's rules state "may join a unit of Temple Guard in the same way as a normal Mage-Priest".

Mazdamundi probably doesn't say this because he's on a Stegadon.

As for Chakax, he has the "Sacred Duty" rule just like the Temple Guard, and his rules give him and the unit bonuses if both he and a Slaan are in the same Temple Guard unit, implying he is allowed to join.

As for the wording under "Sacred Duty", it says that the Temple Guard may only be joined by a single Slaan, because the rules before it say that Temple Guard and Slaan in the same army must be joined together, but clarifies this in that only 1 Slaan may join 1 unit, not 2+ Slaan in a single unit of Temple Guard.

It all just requires a bit of common sense.

genestealer_baldric
18-02-2009, 09:17
i know why they said that one slann mage priest so you dont have 3 slanns and 100 odd temple guard in one unit. I was the innocent noob in a vets crossfire, so i was trying to get a wider view on it :)

Sifal
18-02-2009, 12:22
it just means you can't have more than one slann in a unit of TG.....

Famder
18-02-2009, 13:36
Nowhere in the rules for temple guard are the normal character rules negated, which say that they can join units. It only limits the number of Slann Mage Priests that are allowed to join them. It doesn't say they are the only characters which may join the unit. If you really wanted to you could have a Scar-Vet join them on a cold one.

genestealer_baldric
18-02-2009, 15:45
Oh ye gods. We don't need this.

a bit like that comment ;)

but as i said before ive only played a few games and it was what the long term vets in my local gw and club were debating when i asked there views on my plan.

They were debating if it was legal, 99% of people would be ok but there will allways be someone out there pointing out the gap of the word "Only " used in the rules. :)

Famder
18-02-2009, 18:38
Except they are looking at the word "only" as being a stipulation on the slann itself when it is really in reference to the number "one" which directly follows it.

The "only" is a limitation on the "one" in that sentence, not a limiation on the "slann" in that sentence. It's no different than if I ask you "How many characters can you have in your army?" and you respond, "Only three characters."

Anyone that tries to tell you only Slann can join a Temple Guard unit lack a sufficient grasp of the English language to be arguing their point in the first place. Now if it is in a language other than English, then perhaps this is a poor interpretation, which is a completely different issue.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
18-02-2009, 19:09
If anyone ever gives crap over this just call everyone over and show them what a bum the person is and they will feel foolish and realize that they are just scared to their core of lizardmen...

coalescence
18-02-2009, 22:49
Touché.

This is a bit like debating whether or not Teclis is a high elf mage.

I'm stunned that you have the nerve to call this a debate. Let the guy ask his questions.

Lijacote
19-02-2009, 01:05
I'm stunned that you have the nerve to call this a debate. Let the guy ask his questions.

I didn't say this was debating. Don't demonize me, I meant no ill at all. Took down the post because god knows whatever I say will be horrible.

genestealer_baldric
19-02-2009, 09:12
If anyone ever gives crap over this just call everyone over and show them what a bum the person is and they will feel foolish and realize that they are just scared to their core of lizardmen...

if this happens i probbaly will seeing as i played with my orignal idea of mazzi temple guard and chaxax last night and they worked very well, its an expensive unit but the anchor of my army.

My mate now hates that combo, he used 3 dispell scrolls on mazzi then in turn 4, mazzi got of the lv 6 buring iron spell on a irrisatable. This melted his choas Knights and lord allowing me to get my 1st win against chaos after 3 defeats to them :)

anwayz guys thanks for the help :D