PDA

View Full Version : Does wild luck make for good or bad games?

Angelust
18-02-2009, 08:58
I just had a game against a Dark Elf player using my Warriors of Chaos.

During this game a few really crazy swings of luck had the game teetering back and forth.

I had two blocks of Marauders with FC, MoK, and great weapons get ridiculously trounced by the main forces of the dark elf player. One block got hit by a manticore and Lord in the flank, along with some cross-bow fast cav (forget name. I needed snake eyes, and got it! Kept the lord in place for a Knights of Khurgle charge. THe other marauder block got stuck in with witches and a hydra, again rolling snake-eyes after being down like 8 combat res.

Later, however, luck swings wildly against me. The lord with the 5 down ward save saves about 30 wounds without any fails, his hydra takes a charge from Knights of Khorne with lances and regenerates all the wounds, and a blade-wind takes off two wounds from my Lord on Dragon after rolling two 2s.

My lord on dragon later takes 5 wounds from a hydra, and the dragon breaks and gets caught after getting 4 wounds regenerated by the hydra (who only had 2 wounds left).

We had to leave by turn 5, but had turn 6 come up, I think I definitely would have lost.

Question for you Warseer folk: Does momentous luck make for good games or bad games generally? That kind of luck seems to make the game much more interesting, but it sometimes throws tactics out the window. What do you gusy prefer?

Volker the Mad Fiddler
18-02-2009, 09:16
SNIP

Question for you Warseer folk: Does momentous luck make for good games or bad games generally? That kind of luck seems to make the game much more interesting, but it sometimes throws tactics out the window. What do you gusy prefer?
Depends on the situation and the player. In a friendly game against an opponent who is also playing just for fun, it is fantastic. It a competitive game it is still fun if both people can take it in stride [though it is a bit more annoying as it "cheapens" the victory unless the winner had all the bad luck]. Against poor sports, these strange happenings just bring out the negatives.

Condottiere
18-02-2009, 09:17
It depends if the game took place at home or in a tournament. At home, it could be extremely humourous, in a tournament depending on which end of the stick you're holding, it can be very frustrating.

Nicha11
18-02-2009, 09:20
It really depends on the game, there is no hard and fast answer.

Extremely bad luck against one player is not fun for anyone, but if both sides are haveing wild luck swings then i would enjoy it.

ChaosVC
18-02-2009, 09:20
It definately makes fun games but all in all, it depends on what you feel like appreciating at that moment. Personally such games make great conversation topics and the outcome is not important anymore, win all lose, both players have wild luck and its difficult to decide who is the better player even if there is a clear winner. Get a rematch and have another go if you really must have a tactical game, I am sure your oponent wouldn't mind.

Necromancy Black
18-02-2009, 09:45
Depends who's getting the luck and how often it happens.

Lets have a look at two games my mate played. First was Orge vs WoC, seconded was VP vs WoC. WoC was the same player both times and my other mate played the other two armies.

Ogres got all there charges of perfectly agianst WoC. Two mobs of Maruders had to roll snake eyes to stay put. They both rolled snake eyes!!!
His generalls unit failed to even wound a single chosen, there was only like one or two armours saves that the chosen had to take. They then got smashed back, broke and ran down. Knights then went a-flanking the two units in combat with maruders and whiped all the ogres out. If it wasn't for those 2 snake eyes it would've been a much different game.

Next game a unit of 6 spirit hosts designed to be flankers charged a unit of maruders.....and 4 turns later were still there and down to a single model!!!! 12 attacks per turn and failed to cause more then maybe 1 or 2 wounds. Ranks, Standard and outnumbering basicalyl crumbled the spirit hosts away. Because of this he lost about 300 points of support from the game and wasn't able to keep the blocks of warriors and chosen from winning in the centre.

Oh, and teh countless times his dark elves have fled a charge so that the charger could get flanked....and then that fleeing unit fails to rally for the next 2 turns or so and runs of the table. With elven leadership, that's sad.

So to sum everything, wild luck is fun whenever I play my mates VC and DE's :p

Angelust
18-02-2009, 11:05
I actually had a lot of fun tonight. When my opponent crushed my marauders, I calmly said "it's no big deal, I'll just roll snake eyes and charge you with my nurgle knights." Next time, I said "well, I guess I'll just have to roll snake eyes again, and charge with my dragon lord..."

Storak
18-02-2009, 13:02
certain stuff can balance out. that is ok.

but sometimes it is hard to see, what is happening. people will simply realise, that they rolled snake eyes when they needed them, or total power or a miscast.
rolling 10% better than average over multiple to hit rolls won t be noticed, on the other hand. and can have a similar effect..

it is ok, when it balances out (sort of) over 1 game. it is pretty bad, when i have very bad luck against one opponent and very good one in my game against another one...

in general, i prefer LESS decisive dice rolls. (orc general dies, spells that destroy whole units, ...)
the game takes too long to play and deploy, to be "decided" on a single roll...

The Red Scourge
18-02-2009, 13:38
I've got a few great stories of luck.

One was my first battle with WoC vs an all goblin army, I didn't know what to expect other than bad Ld. At one point a goblin shaman riding a chariot charges my chaos knights and does no damage. The chaos knights expecting foul play proceed to tear the chariot apart, yet despite fear and overwhelming CR the shaman refuses to run. No goblin failed a psychology roll during the game, and my opponent hit those snake eyes for half his break tests.

In another game my trusty WoC assaulted the empire a pack of hounds on one flank and a unit of horsemen set up to charge a 5 man unit of huntsmen each so they could go on and take care of two pesky cannons. Both units failed their charge miserably, the hounds held, but the horsemen ran and was run down by the huntsmen. This forced a lone disc riding sorcerer to charge a cannon on his own, he failed, lost to outnumbering, broke and landed right on top of a unit of crossbowmen.

Great games and great heroics :)

Coragus
18-02-2009, 13:46
This is why I don't take magic items that read like, "Causes d6 wounds". I never, EVER roll above a 2 on those things, assuming that my characters hit anything in the first place. I try to take the randomness out of the game when I can.

I accept that some randomness will come into play, and I find the occasional Insane Courage to be flavorful and part of the game. The dice rolls I hate are telling an opponet, after a beautifully executed charge, to roll 6 saves when he needs 6s, and watching him roll 4 successful saves.

Angelust
18-02-2009, 20:39
I think I tend to like wild luck, but not a general feeling of constant bad luck. Failing a leadership on a 12 is funny, failing multiple leadership tests by 1 or 2 really starts to suck...

darkace77450
18-02-2009, 21:14
In a game where dice rolls determine everything from your combat success to your armor effectiveness to your courage and morale, of course luck will be a determent in the result of games.

Most games are fine, but there will be games where one player will have incredible luck or horrible luck. These games are invariably not fun as if a very skilled general plays a tactically perfect game and can't get the dice to help him out, then usually he will be frustrated and his opponent will often not feel he earned his victory.

The Red Scourge
19-02-2009, 09:24
Next game a unit of 6 spirit hosts designed to be flankers charged a unit of maruders.....and 4 turns later were still there and down to a single model!!!! 12 attacks per turn and failed to cause more then maybe 1 or 2 wounds. Ranks, Standard and outnumbering basicalyl crumbled the spirit hosts away. Because of this he lost about 300 points of support from the game and wasn't able to keep the blocks of warriors and chosen from winning in the centre.

If he charged the marauder block in the front, he couldn't have expected any more.

12 Attacks = 6 hits = 3 wounds = 1.5 / 2.66 wounds vs. LA+Sh / LA.

Thats not bad luck, thats a poor general. Had he hit the flank, he would effectively had +4 CR (negated ranks + flank), and would have broken the unit by turn two due to fear and outnumbering.

Bad luck would have been a unit of blood knights failing their attacks and crumbling in front of the marauders.

Ward.
19-02-2009, 15:42
Today I rolled snake eyes on a break test for the first time against a chaos player.

For me, this huge swing of luck at the right time was great and my opponent got a kick out of it as well, so I'm going to say yes. Huge swings of luck are good for the game.