PDA

View Full Version : War drum, glyph necklace or amulet of itzl?

Spirit
18-02-2009, 15:42
Ok, this is to go on my skink priest, on a stegadon, with Engine of the Gods.

He will have 3 spells, so has 35 points left, each of these items costs 30 points.

War drum: Grants immunity to priest and stegadon from march blocking and gives me +1 to rally for all within 12", but not the priest himself.

Good:
a: Means i can always move my laser beam 12" to kill the nearest threat.
b: Rallying on LD7 on 3d6 is brilliant for skinks. Of which my army has a few.
Not so good: Means my T2 Ws2 skink has no ward save, if he dies, engine is turned off permanently

Glyph necklace: 5+ ward save

Good: Means he might not die!
Not so good: Only 5+, not very reliable, and stegadon can provide 5+ vs shooting anyway

Amulet of Itzl: 2+ Ward save vs first wound suffered (AFTER armour saves have been taken)

Good: Almost (....) guaranteed to save a valuable wound from my skink, and only has to be rolled when he fails a 2+ armour save.
Not so Good: Only gets one save

Which would you choose?

blackjack
18-02-2009, 16:24
Tough call. I would give him Itzl by a nose. I would have to know your entire army to judge the value of wardrums (I tend to give war drums to my slann to keep my TG on the march.)

Malorian
18-02-2009, 16:26
I'd go for the amulet of itzl as well.

With only two wounds, being sure to save that one is huge.

Alltaken
18-02-2009, 18:23
I don't know prices, but the amulet is a winner for me. Normally the function of the EotG is fundamental so I'd put my eggs so that my priest doesn't die.

If you have little skink amounts that make the drums less interesting.

I wouldn't go for the glyph unless it's dumbly cheap.

WarmbloodedLizard
18-02-2009, 19:12
glyph necklace is better ond a scar-vet.

wardrums ond engine are very nice for some cool burning alignment action an flank charging :) but overall, itzl is probably the savest choice of the three.

Leth Shyish'phak
18-02-2009, 19:30
I would take the Amulet of Itzl. If you only have two wounds and you're failing two armour saves then a 5+ ward might save one, whereas a 2+ ward to save one of them would be much more reliable at keeping him alive for longer.

Of course I wouldn't take any of them because I'd much rather have the diadem and a scroll. With all of the magic-heavy armies that I have floating around here, I like to have defences against magic coming out of every oriface that it can possibly come out of :D

Staurikosaurus
19-02-2009, 08:08
The War Drums. +1 to rally is always a bonus but the big thing is the immunity to march block.

The steg is a ridden monster with multiple riders so you can always rotate the monster. The immunity to march block allows you to move around units to get into the rear of the enemy army or deep into it to hit your EMP and destroy fleeing units etc. Don't forget that the skink crew carry javelins as well so that's a few pot shots at units and lone characters behind enemy lines.

PurchasedPig
19-02-2009, 11:39
Sorry, quick question - Is it definite that 'Amulet Of Itzl' is used after Armour Saves? I thought that the description implied that it was only the first wound suffered altogether...

If this is case, and it CAN be used after armour saves I would definitely go with the amulet - added protection is brilliant and the 5+ Ward can come from the engine itself, hence 'Glyph Necklace' is not that important

Conotor
19-02-2009, 11:48
I think drum looks good. U have a 2+ armore save and yu are only hit on a 6 for distributeing, and marching lets u stay out of bad combats.

Roxors45
19-02-2009, 13:44
I think drum looks good. U have a 2+ armore save and yu are only hit on a 6 for distributeing, and marching lets u stay out of bad combats.

Most definitely the War drums. I assume your scared of him beig sniped, but what's coming at you? It gives a 5+ ward vs shooting AND your only hit on a 6. How is this not enough defense for whatever your facing? Lets assume its a Dwarf gunline with a good 20 crossbowmen and 2 bolt throwers. They need to hit on 4s (-1 long range, +1 large target) half of em hit for 10 hits. Thne a 1 in 6 chance to hit the priest. We'll say 3 6s. Then 2s to wound (can always roll a 1) and you still get a 4+ save AND 5+ ward. You'd have to be very unlucky to lose him to this.

Now you may have a different list but if your playing a shooty army (the obvious bane of the engine pries) why arnt you taking Life 2with your Slann. Not only are you Rain Lording units (-2 to hit so those same dwarves now need 6s to hit and wound) but your also "master of stone"ing his warmachines on a hill. Or casting Howler wind (No S4 or less shooting to anything within 12" of slann, your engine IS next to the slann right?). Regardless of dispel power your reliablely casting 3 spells to target their main strength and your main weakness. Or play to your weakness by taking 2 units of 4 terradons. Sure they can begrudgingly (is that a word? Sounds dwarfy) refuse to accept the terradon threat, but this way they can either try and snipe the priest or terradons who will charge and drop rocks next turn.

The key here is threatening him and giving him options. Be the better general and give him consiquences. "Hey look, its my priest with a 2+ save and 5+ ward marching to you, go on, take a shot. Those things? Those are Salamanders marching up your flank. Naw they're nothing. No, they won't roast your infantry blocks and cause you to panic. Don't shoot them please. And those Saurus Cav? Nah they're weak, I think someone said they got nerfed".

This isn't rock paper scissors (though some argue there's strategy in that game). Tactics win the day. War drums wins movement. Last thing you want is an Eagle March blocking your Engine and having to hold back your TG and Saurus to keep up. And all those fleeing skinks and redirecting units will thank you for the extra LD. Take the fraility of the priest (albeit not so frail with the 2+ and 5+ saves) and make it a juicy target. I'd rather have someone take, and possibly get, a lucky shot then shoot at my salamanders, Saurus, terradons or razordons who are closer and pose (though your opponent might not know this) a bigger threat.

After all is said and done remember if a skink dies its STILL an ancient stegadon. A Move 6, Strength 6 5 wound, terror causing, 3+ save, Stubborn ItP impact hitting monstrosity. Yes now its not blinged out with the engine but its still a major major threat.

Spirit
19-02-2009, 17:43
Sorry, quick question - Is it definite that 'Amulet Of Itzl' is used after Armour Saves? I thought that the description implied that it was only the first wound suffered altogether...

If this is case, and it CAN be used after armour saves I would definitely go with the amulet - added protection is brilliant and the 5+ Ward can come from the engine itself, hence 'Glyph Necklace' is not that important

It specifically says "after armour saves" in the description.

Looks like the war drums are my favourite at the moment, bit more risky but overall if i can keep the priest alive it'l wreck some havock.

kroq'gar
20-02-2009, 08:28
Erm... i'd sugggest arcane items are better.

Take the 5+ free wardsave and then utalise his magical abilities.

Spirit
20-02-2009, 15:22
He already has an arcane item, short of common ones there is nothing i can take.