PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Saurus Blocks! 2000pts

purple40k
19-02-2009, 08:58
I played a few games in 5th, and about 5-6 games in 6th. It's 7th edition, a new Lizardmen Army Book has come, and I would like to work up a nice skink based list. The only saurus units I have any real faith in are 10-12 in size and used for charge threatening board control more than CR. Yeah, they are awesome, I just don't want to play a list that needs them...

I am a big fan of the new salamanders rules, the extra handlers are going to be phenomenal. Of course, I have yet to play a single game in 7th, or with the new army book. How much skirmish and how little punch can a lizzie list get away with now? I know I loved playing my older lists with a unit or 2 of scouts.

I think lore of heavens could really allow us to get away with some interesting compositions. The problem with relying on magic to facilitate army usage is just that, well, the magic phase is not always as consistent as it could be. I think War Drums are a phenomenal addition to our magic item roster, allowing us to rely on skinks for those cold blooded rolls a little bit more. Taking this type of approach to a lizardmen list is definitely going to give me some interesting matchups! Any hard to overcome armies I should be wary of?

Sorry for the rant, have a look at the list.

Heroes
Skink Priest lvl2, Engine of the Gods, Tepok Plaque
Skink Priest lvl2, Rod of the Storms, Blood Statuette of Spite
Skink Priest lvl2, Diadem of Power
Saurus Scar-Vet Light Armor, Shield, Cold One, War Drums

Core
12 Skink Skirmishers
12 Skink Skirmishers
10 Skink Skirmishers
16 Skinks 2 Krox musician

Special
5 Cold One Riders musician
4 Terradons
4 Terradons

Rare
2 Salamanders 1 extra Handler
2 Salamanders 1 extra Handler

1997 points
87 models

9 PD, 6 DD, 8 DD w/ Diadem

I feel like I might want to consider swapping one of those salamander packs for a unit of chameleon skinks. I don't think I am that bad off vs most magic heavy lists, I can pull 8 DD which should let me stop 2-3 of the important spells, and the priests and the engine can hand out some ward saves often enough. Same goes for armies that fire bows. I think the Blood Statuette is not all that competitive, however it can be a mage killer. I should be able to trade units for warmachines relatively quick with this list, however I wish I could have fit those chameleons in. The salamanders should hedge my bets against bretonians and other elite high armor lists. I think a fast WoC list could be a real nail biter.

I would love to hear ideas on this concept. Did I miss the boat, errrrr toad?
Thanks!

Conotor
19-02-2009, 11:24
I think a slann is the best way to go if u want lots of magic. You could fit one in for the 2 engineless priests, but I have no idea what you would do with him with no temple guard...

ScalySkin
19-02-2009, 12:04
I think a slann is the best way to go if u want lots of magic. You could fit one in for the 2 engineless priests, but I have no idea what you would do with him with no temple guard...

Give him MR3 and make him immune to common weapons and keep him away from units with magic attacks.

librisrouge
19-02-2009, 16:19
It's good to know what i'll be facing come saturday :) I do think that the slann may be a good idea though, instead of the two skink priests.

vamp
19-02-2009, 17:26
I have watched quite a few games with the lizardmen in them lately down at my battle bunker. It's odd that you have little faith in their CR from experiences I have witnessed. The Saurus are tougher then the Temple Guard if you ask me. The reason why is the spears and two attacks. A unit of 20 can have as many as twenty attacks on the charge in ranks of 5 and this sky rockets with a broader efacement.

. I playtested over and over again a unit of Saurus being charged by two units of ghouls...one from the flank...one from head on. The results? Those tough as nails Saurus warriors won the CR everytime. Sometimes in slaughter fashion. I think they are some of the most formidable infantry in the game. Maybe the empire swordsmen could give them a run for their money but this is based on a point for point comparison and not a statistic match.

It's no secret I loathe lizardmen here ( i don't really i just have to face them in my private campaign soon and their is a player don at my local battle bunker who is reaking havoc with A Slaan list twenty temple guard..twenty saurus...two stegadons one with engine of gods the other with a priest atop and two units of 12 skinks on each flank...couple of fire spitters also) so I'd like to say the Saurus suck...but the truth is, and this is coming from a player who wan'ts to see the Lizardmen die, that the Saurus are the most scariest infantry you have when given spears.

Spirit
19-02-2009, 17:45
Give him MR3 and make him immune to common weapons and keep him away from units with magic attacks.

2+ ward save vs shooting and use your skinks to stop things killing him.

Also, if you are doing a magic based army, the diadem of power WILL NOT HELP. If you ever use it you will cripple your magic phase.

purple40k
19-02-2009, 18:42
I would have to watch out for fliers and what else?

Is the list still hardy enough with the solo slann?

PurchasedPig
19-02-2009, 19:55
I feel like I might want to consider swapping one of those salamander packs for a unit of chameleon skinks.

I would wholeheartedly suggest against such a course of action. Salamanders are awesome! For the rest of the army I would suggest a play-around with characters. As suggested maybe replace the 2 skinks for a slaan. Other options are replace them a carnosaur lord that can go with the Cold Ones - he can't be targeted individually and would make a mess of any hero. In fact stick him in a challenge and he can easily win against static combat res just from the D3 Attacks contributing towards overkill! Really depends how you want to play it though. For magic-heavy I would suggest a Slaan - if nopthing else because he gives your army a Ld9 general and BSB for only 300 pts as well as increasing your magic potential with different lores. Otherwise I would at least consider getting a cheap lord in just because the potential is awesome.

Hope this helps.

- PurchasedPig -

purple40k
19-02-2009, 20:41
Thanks Pig! I hadn't considered an oldblood on a carnisaur. How would you keep his points down enough to be an easier include?

I might be able to swap the vet and a priest plus a unit for one. If I were to trade the scar vet for an oldblood and keep the priest I would need to move a lot of points around. This is certainly an interesting option while still maintaining the feel of the army.

PurchasedPig
19-02-2009, 21:00
I would suggest at least removing the scar-vet I suppose as he would be going in the same unit but pimping it up. Another sneaky tactic if you removed the priest would be to give the oldblood the shield of the mirrored pool - any scary cavalry killing magic missiles will be reflected and your most powerful unit negates a lot of dangerous magic :)

The easiest way to afford him would be to get rid of Scar-Vet and Diadem Priest (although I do loike the Diadem...) that way you aren't spending too much on characters and still have max dinosaurs in the list :)

Incidentally such tactics do have a lot of risks against shooty armies as you have only a small unit of cavalry with the lord - big points for small kills. You could negate that somwhat with Skinks in your list but ocnsider some more Cold Ones for added protection.

- PurchasedPig -

Spirit
19-02-2009, 21:11
....Other options are replace them a carnosaur lord that can go with the Cold Ones - he can't be targeted individually.....

Carnausaur has 5 wounds, thus us 5 (6? with the lord?) So he can be targetted through shooting and magic, this is not a good idea.

On the other hand, screening a carnosaur with -2 to hit chameleons would work wonders, seeing as he is not a large target any more (the image really does amuse me, i want to put a shield/javelin on the model and paint him like a tree) a screen that is very hard to shoot, the diadem of power to stop magic, and a lord that will screw over anything in the flank, moving 14" a turn once he gets into the enemy lines (with some war drums ofc)

This is also preferrable to putting him behind the knights, because the enemy will want to shoot his screen to expose the lord, and shooting skinks isn't as detrimental to your knights health.

Ultimo ninja
20-02-2009, 20:30
This army lackis CC power, and for lizardmen, thats a shame.
I suggest a slann, a scar vet and temple gaurd, 3 units of skinks with 2 krox each, a steg, and a few razordons.

You only have 1 block of saurus but get better magic leadership and bsb, you still have plenty of skinks with krox for cc, the steg has decent cc and arange attacks, and the razordons do decent samage too.