PDA

View Full Version : Temple Guard Halbred use

Dooks Dizzo
20-02-2009, 15:21
Just curious to know if anyone uses their Temple guard Halbred option? It seems like everyone is just floored over how great the 2+ save is, but I am thinking that whipping out the axes on sticks might not be a bad idea.

Playng my Druchii I use Black Guard in almost every game I play. Temple Guard and BG seem awefully similiar in a lot of ways to me.

Temple Guard with a Slaan are Stubborn and Immune to Psyche.
Black Guard, stubborn and immune to psyche.

So their leadership is effectively the same.

Black Guard have a slight offensive edge with +1 WS and re-rolling misses all the time.

Temple Guard somewhat mitigate that advantage by being having +1 strength. So they get fewer hits, but their hits do more.

Defensively Temple Guard have +1T and 4+ armor vs. 5+.

If there is one complaint I have about my Black Guard it's that they cannot take a beating at all. S4 hurts them bad and S5 just erases them.

I know all of that is just on paper, so has anyone actually tried using their halbreds?

W0lf
20-02-2009, 15:24
When you strike last and have a slaan with BSB/warbanner its simply better to use shields imo. That said if you charge feel free to swing away with halberds.

All depends on what you are fighting imo. Against S3 or when charging/striking first id go for Halberds all the time, otherwise its likely to be shields.

Spirit
20-02-2009, 15:24
Well if halberds are still 2 handed, that means you go down to 4+ save, which is the same as your core...

I wouldnt take the chance unless i got the charge, +2 save over +1 strength any day.

Bac5665
20-02-2009, 15:29
If I charge, I tend to use halbards, otherwise, shields.

Temple guard are both killing machines and bunker units. Pick the weapon based on which use they need to be for the combat. Usually, I find that the bunker use is more prevailent, particularly when I'm outnumbered.

Roxors45
20-02-2009, 16:42
If I charge, I tend to use halbards, otherwise, shields.

Temple guard are both killing machines and bunker units. Pick the weapon based on which use they need to be for the combat. Usually, I find that the bunker use is more prevailent, particularly when I'm outnumbered.

Agreed. Sword and board for me since I don't overspend on TG (usually 11 with my slann for 2 extra ranks beyond the first). I'd much rather win on CR than trying to wound on 2s and failing. Against something with S3 I might consider halberds to try and run them into the ground (or against dwarves) and get some CR. The fact that each has 2 attacks at S4 already is great. TG are Bodyguard and usually best if used as such.

Or do what I do. Have a skink priest (my engine is next to the TG unit) cast Portent of Far, on 2 or 3 dice, on your TG so they can reroll 1s to hit and wound. Considerng your slann is yet to cast, they might let it go. Big mistake. Now not only can you go halberds and reroll your ones to hit and wound, usually resulting in a boatload of dead models, the slann IN that same unit can reroll all hits to wound too! That means magic too people. That cleansing Flare going off? Lets reroll those 1s. Drop a dud and roll a one on that Dwarf BSB you have Bane Headed? Reroll. Splat. Fun fun!