PDA

View Full Version : Skink with Bows Dilemma

Arbiter
02-05-2005, 11:24
Hello Portent,

I have a whole bunch of the old 5th edition skinks with bows. I am defintely going to use them in my lizardmen army, but I don't want to convert them, and I don't really want to play a Southlands army. What would you all do? Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks a lot,
Arbiter

He Who Laughs
02-05-2005, 13:16
Sorry champ, it's a choice of convert them, chuck them or use them in a Southlands list.

There are a few variant Lizardmen lists now (Southlands, Sacred Spawnings and Red Host) but only Southlands allows bow-armed skinks.

With a only 'little' conversion work - you can trim the bottom off the bows, paint the top half of the bow silver/gold (as a dagger) and strap a shield onto the other arm - and use them as Red Crested Skinks in a Red Host list from the new Lustria Book (which is very close to being a standard Lizardmen list with a few very cool extras).

The Southlands list isn't that bad - I use it quite often (I have 100+ of the old-school skinks - as well as 24 of the new, cooler ones) and it's still a very playable army - you just have to leanr not to rely on Saurus (cos you'll normally only get one unit in 2000pts).

Festus
02-05-2005, 14:54
hi

There is no need for converting, as in most lists Skinks with bow are not legal anymore.
Just inform your oponent about the weapon-change to blowpipes and you are all set.

Why should old models become obsolete? My Dwarf gunline wears fluffy Imperial underpants. Does that mean they come without armour? Heaven, my Flame cannon Enginner is even mostly naked...

Greetings
Festus

Sylass
02-05-2005, 20:31
I agree with Festus.

Maybe you could even ask your opponent if you could add shortbow armed skink units to your list. I'd not mind at all...but I'm not your opponent.

Painting your skink units using different skin colours would help to seperate the differently armed units from each other (if you are allowed to use them):

Green Skinks = Javelin
Blue Skinks = Blowpipes
Pink Skinks = Short Bows

Well, maybe not pink, but you get the idea ;)

Outcast995
02-05-2005, 21:40
Trim the bow on the sides and add a little green stuff so it looks kile a blowpipe and wala perfect.

MarcoPollo
02-05-2005, 22:54
Now Way!

GW should be ashamed of themselves. Such an obvious money grab. GW should really have allowed skink bows in a regular lizzie army. So if any of my working class people want to proxy blowpipes or javelins in a game with me, I won't care. I just don't want to be confused by which ones are which. A color scheme is useful for sure. (B-lue for B-lowpipes; etc)

It is not too hard to convert to blowpipes I must admit. But I've got other modelling projects to do besides putting on and painting some green stuff. If GW wants to suck more money out of its customer base, then lets hope they earn it with new and cool things. As for a quick change that will cost every lizzie player some money. That is a shame for sure.

arxhon
03-05-2005, 02:42
Pink Skinks = Short Bows

What's wrong with pink skinks? :D It's alliterative and stuff.

Ok, serious answer time.

I'm a list nazi, i can't help it. I've seen too many wonky broken ideas come out of "well, i want to do this because i think it would be cool, and the models are like that already". I really remember the bad old days when you could practically play mix'n'match with army lists and allies (Dwarf army with High Elf wizard ally, anyone?), and that was the legal stuff.

If you were playing against me, it should either be a southlands list, or they should be proxies for blowpipes. I don't get super sticky about proxies, since i've used them enough times, but i would prefer to see actual blowpipes, because otherwise we get into the whole "Well, this unit of goblins are slaves, and that unit of goblins are stormvermin, and this tray of empty bases are plague monks (or whatever)".

Furthermore, technically, one could claim that since the old chaos knights have lances, you should be able to equip that unit with lances for the +2S on the charge (taking them up to S7 :eek: ). (cue gripe about point cost, cue comment of "oh, fine, i'll bump the cost up a few points"). And then you can claim that they are "corrupted Grail Knights" (or something) and that you get to use the lance formation (which i'm not sure they even have any more).

*pours bleach into brain to remove memories of 4E*

I would like to conclude by saying i thought MarcoPollo's name was actually MarcoPolio. Obviously i need new contact lenses. :rolleyes: :D

Hiox
04-05-2005, 02:51
I just claim my short bow skinks are "rapid firing" a la 40k with their bows. This, of course, also explains why their range is reduced to 12" as well getting the 2 shots. ;)

oatish
04-05-2005, 05:10
I wouldn't personally care as long as they were clearly stated before the match. "Hey, these Skinks actually got blowpipes, not bows as shown on the models."
I would respond with "Werd" "Cool" "Indeed" or an other comment of that nature. Proxies are cool if they are within reason, unlike...shudder... "This bottle of deoderant is a predator (click-click Boom!)"

oatish

adreal
04-05-2005, 06:56
I wouldn't personally care as long as they were clearly stated before the match. "Hey, these Skinks actually got blowpipes, not bows as shown on the models."
I would respond with "Werd" "Cool" "Indeed" or an other comment of that nature. Proxies are cool if they are within reason, unlike...shudder... "This bottle of deoderant is a predator (click-click Boom!)"

oatish

what about mobil phones for drednaughts ;)

about the skinks, just say they are wonky blowpipes, or if uses javilens, say a slann sat on them all, it'll make ppl smile

anarchistica
04-05-2005, 22:02
You could simply use them to count as DOW Halflings. Sure, it'd cost you a Rare choice, but at least you get to use them and they'll have BS4. ;)

The boyz
05-05-2005, 10:35
I would just convert them into blow piped armed Skinks.