PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts of lizard magic fun

ScalySkin
20-02-2009, 21:37
This is a list a thought I could have some fun with. I have a couple of friends who I have 3 way battles with from time to time. They play high elves and wold elf armies. I thought this list might be fun to play against them.

Lord Mazdamundi - 620 pts

Heroes

Tetto'Eko - 255 pts

Skink Priest lvl 2 - diadem of power - 125 pts

Skink Priest lvl 2 - plaque of tepok, power stone - 135 pts

Core

18 saurus warriors - spears, fc - 210 pts

16 skinks - 80 pts

10 skink skirmishers - 70 pts

10 Skinks - 50 pts

Special

6 saurus cavalry - fc, jaguar standard - 285 pts

3 Terradons - 90 pts

Rare

Salamander with 1 extra skink - 80 pts

Total - 2000 pts

My plan is to Cast comic events at the start of the magic phase and then have the priests all casting lore of heavens spells with irresistable force on doubles. These spells do not require LOS, so I can hide my priests behind skink screens as my army advances. Mazdamundi will take the lore of life and will cast howler wind and gift of life if he takes any wounds, and of course ruination of cities when he gets into range. My terradons will hunt hereos and bolt throwers and the cavalry and mazdamundi will try and set up charges. The saurus warriors will try to receive charges while the salamanders will try and mess up the ranks of troops that advance towards me.

What do you think, will I have fun with this list?

ScalySkin
21-02-2009, 21:02
No responses? Where is everyone?

Dooks Dizzo
21-02-2009, 21:25
It seems like a lot of magic, but it's all defensive magic isn't it? I am less than impressed with the comet to be honest, and other than that most your spells go to helping your other units, which seem somewhat lack luster to me.

I think you'd be much better off with a regular Slaan tricked out with goodies, then maybe get an Engine in there as well.

ScalySkin
21-02-2009, 21:43
It seems like a lot of magic, but it's all defensive magic isn't it? I am less than impressed with the comet to be honest, and other than that most your spells go to helping your other units, which seem somewhat lack luster to me.

I think you'd be much better off with a regular Slaan tricked out with goodies, then maybe get an Engine in there as well.

Taking the Lore of Life for Mazdamundi is the only defensive part of the magic, and Mazdamundi has the option of casting ruination of cities as well. The skink priests will all be trying to spam uranon's thunderbolt, forked lightening and comet of casandora, hopefully getting a lot of irresistible force casts from rolling doubles.

I take your point about the combat being weak, I certainly do not have much in the way of offense, your suggestions are very good, I will think about what to do. Thanks for the input.

Dooks Dizzo
21-02-2009, 22:16
I like the idea behind the list. Maybe try to go 'all the way' with it? Lizards are the only army I know of that can get level 4's and level 3's in the army in 2000 points. Maybe exploit that a tad?

You're going with pretty cheap core, so you can afford to mess around with some extra's. The Saurus Cav really stand out like a sore thumb in the list, maybe nuke them and go something that 'fits' the feel a bit better.

On the other hand, maybe keep Mazumundi (I forgot you get an ancient steggy with him) and go with Shadow Magic. An Unseen Lurker at just the right time can be game winning.

Hmmm, hard call.

Definitely has potential, I am sure you'll come up with a very good re-work.

ScalySkin
21-02-2009, 23:31
This is another alternative to this list (only problem is I have only one stegadon model at the moment.)

Heroes

Tetto'Eko - 255 pts

Skink Priest lvl 2 - plaque of tepok, power stone on EoTG - 425 pts

Core

14 skinks - with one Kroxigor 130 pts (these form the skink TG unit for Tetto'Eko)

Special

3 Terradons - 90 pts

Rare

Total - 2000 pts

RiTides Nids
22-02-2009, 02:58
The doubles is only going to happen on one turn- I knew it was too good to be true. Look under Herald of Cosmic Events, it says "at the beginning of any ONE friendly magic phase". Meaning it's one use only :(

But I do like this second list better, I'd definitely go with a priest on EotG in this list. Maybe drop Tetto'eko and go with a cheaper skink priest, and put those points towards more core. It definitely drops his usefulness a lot when you realize this is only for a turn (I'm not sure how many people have realized this yet, I sure hadn't).

Staurikosaurus
22-02-2009, 08:30
Tetto'eko can't go into a unit of skinks with krox. Skinks only.

dsw1
22-02-2009, 10:13
Tetto'eko can't go into a unit of skinks with krox. Skinks only.

it is a skink unit primeraly, you buy kroxigor as an upgrade to the skink unit. It is a skink unit with kroxigor added (upgraded into the unit), not a kroxigor & skink unit if you get my meaning?

ScalySkin
22-02-2009, 11:20
I think Tetto'Eko is still worthwhile even if his Herald of Cosmic events is only for one turn, if it allows me to get off one spell with irrestible force that kills an enemy hero, then it is worth it. He also knows all spells and has a few other cool abilities. Here is a revised list.

Heroes

Tetto'Eko - 255 pts

Skink Priest lvl 2 - plaque of tepok, power stone on EoTG - 425 pts

Core

14 skinks - with musician 76 pts (these form the skink TG unit for Tetto'Eko)

10 skinks - 50 pts

Special

3 Terradons - 90 pts

Rare

Total - 2001 pts

madival
22-02-2009, 19:00
The only unit I feel a hammerunit wouldnt be able torun over is the saurus warriors. How do you plan on stoping say 5blood knights/chaos knights +hero?

Staurikosaurus
22-02-2009, 19:03
it is a skink unit primeraly, you buy kroxigor as an upgrade to the skink unit. It is a skink unit with kroxigor added (upgraded into the unit), not a kroxigor & skink unit if you get my meaning?

Page 69 lizardmen army book

"The palanquin operates in the same way as a Mage-Priest's (see page 43) except that Tetto'ek may be placed in the second rank of a unit of Skinks rather than Temple Guard, so long as no Kroxigor are in the unit."

You get my meaning?

ScalySkin
22-02-2009, 21:13
The only unit I feel a hammerunit wouldnt be able torun over is the saurus warriors. How do you plan on stoping say 5blood knights/chaos knights +hero?

This list is for a 3-way battle with a couple of my friends who have wood elf and high elf armies, so I won't have a blood knight/chaos knight unit to worry about. Being a 3-way battle, I have found that a list that is a little bit more defensive than usual is required, if I do an all out attack, the army I am attacking will direct all their attacks on me while the other army will attack my flank. Usually there are a couple of battles that occur on either side while ranged/magic/flying attacks take out the strategic targets.