PDA

View Full Version : Slaan versus Black Coach Inquiry

vamp
21-02-2009, 02:44
Wouldn't technically speaking the black coach s have a chance to steal a Slaans bonus dice per spell also. These are dice the wizard generates are they not? Wicked Grin=)

Lord Dan
21-02-2009, 02:50
Yes it would. Now go base your entire strategy around it at a tournament and let us know how things go.

Asmodiseus
21-02-2009, 04:08
How do you plan on stealing dice that dont exist until a spell is cast?

I guess you can ask the lizard player "Hey man, how many spells are you going to cast with your slaan this magic phase?"

Your hunting for Easter Eggs in Afghanistan, There just arnt any to be found.

vamp
21-02-2009, 04:42
Wow could you act any more like an ass?

Asmodiseus it doesn't matter that he casts the spells. It only matters that he has the dice at his disposal I think.

Necromancy Black
21-02-2009, 05:01
Yes, it does matter. The dice in question does not exist until a spell is cast. The black coash takes powerdice at the start of the phase does it not? So why would it take away dice that exist?

Are you telling me that Power Stones are going to be absorded away?

vamp
21-02-2009, 05:08
I believe the term generates does. He does generate that many dice to use overall.

Powerstones are a modifier. They are not additional dice rolled for a spell. I can see this reasonably going either way.

Dokushin
21-02-2009, 05:14
Wouldn't technically speaking the black coach s have a chance to steal a Slaans bonus dice per spell also. These are dice the wizard generates are they not? Wicked Grin=)

No, of course not. The Black Coach, as has been stated, absorbs power die at the beginning of the magic phase. Bonus per-spell die simply don't exist at that time. So there's no way to absorb them, and when they do come into play, the Black Coach has already used its power. How exactly do you see this working? Are you going to guess how many spells he would cast? That should be your first clue it doesn't work, TBH.

This does make Slann a bit better against Coaches than most, I guess, but it's not really that big of a deal.

Necromancy Black
21-02-2009, 05:36
I believe the term generates does. He does generate that many dice to use overall.

Powerstones are a modifier. They are not additional dice rolled for a spell. I can see this reasonably going either way.

What? Powerdice are an extra 2 dice you roll to cast the spell.

Lord Dan
21-02-2009, 05:44
Asmodiseus it doesn't matter that he casts the spells. It only matters that he has the dice at his disposal I think.

Statement of fact.
Supplementing fact with interpreted evidence.
Covering bases.

Surgency
21-02-2009, 08:06
As has been stated, since the dice don't exist at the beginning of the phase, they can't be taken away.

Asmodiseus
21-02-2009, 08:42
Wow could you act any more like an ass?

Actually I believe this would be acting like an ass:

Do you seriously believe that the Black Coach should roll theoretical dice that the Slaan may or may not use, that have yet to even exist at the begining of a phase? If so your a complete idiot.

Obviously my gauge that tells me how offensive my posts are is out of order. I sincerely apologize for any hurt or pain my words have caused you. I hope you can forgive me for inflicting such emotional trauma on you.

Anyway to reply to your post he does not have the dice at his disposal when you use the black coachs ability.

Nicha11
21-02-2009, 09:46
Statement of fact.
Supplementing fact with interpreted evidence.
Covering bases.

Even when you're being a ***** you're still funny.

EvC
21-02-2009, 12:44
He could have called the "covering bases" bit "weasel words" I reckon ;)

Anyway, no, you can't suck up the Slann's free dice, because they're not generated at the start of the phase. This is exactly the same as how it was in the old edition.

Lord Dan
21-02-2009, 20:56
Even when you're being a ***** you're still funny.

Thank you.

...I think. :p

vamp
21-02-2009, 21:39
Asmodiseus I'm sorry it wasn't clear hun. I wasn't calling you an ass. There is someone I try to ignore that routinely follows my threads acting like a bag that cleanses the female anatomy. It was to this person I was speaking. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I find it's best when I see his replies to skip down the page a few inches in order to spare myself the onslaught of imbecillity.

I should have made it more clear. I'm sure if you try you will see to which person I'm speaking about. Your response was more then intelligent and polite=)

The issue at hand is no big deal. I wasn't trying for something sleazy. Only to understand a situation that I forsee happening at my private table. Your most likely right=)

Lord Dan
21-02-2009, 23:27
There is someone I try to ignore that routinely follows my threads acting like a bag that cleanses the female anatomy

I don't follow your threads, you just post a lot of them. Your question was ridiculous, which you knew, as insinuated by your final statement and overall demeanor.

I'm sorry if you feel I'm picking on you, but in this particular case I can say don't knowingly ask a absurd question and expect a serious answer.

Asmodiseus
22-02-2009, 03:37
Asmodiseus I'm sorry it wasn't clear hun. I wasn't calling you an ass. There is someone I try to ignore that routinely follows my threads acting like a bag that cleanses the female anatomy. It was to this person I was speaking. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I find it's best when I see his replies to skip down the page a few inches in order to spare myself the onslaught of imbecillity.

I should have made it more clear. I'm sure if you try you will see to which person I'm speaking about. Your response was more then intelligent and polite=)

The issue at hand is no big deal. I wasn't trying for something sleazy. Only to understand a situation that I forsee happening at my private table. Your most likely right=)

Ah ok I went and reread your post and now I get it lol. Well I guess sorry for my post to then, it was probably a little to harsh.

Domandi
22-02-2009, 14:14
Lord Dan,

The question she asked was not absurd. Even if SHE knew the answer, there are plenty of people who are not well versed in the game where having that answered could be helpful.

Your initial response was simply a mean shot at her and nothing else. You could have just answered her question to the best of your ability and not said anything else.

Lord Dan
22-02-2009, 18:20
Lord Dan,

The question she asked was not absurd. Even if SHE knew the answer, there are plenty of people who are not well versed in the game where having that answered could be helpful.

Your initial response was simply a mean shot at her and nothing else. You could have just answered her question to the best of your ability and not said anything else.

If someone types "wicked grin" at the end of their post I'm going to assume that their question is intended merely to incite argument, especially if the basis for it is completely OTT. I happen to know from plenty of other threads started by the OP that she is quite well versed in the game.

My initial response was hardly a "mean shot", as it didn't target her in any way. It was a sarcastic answer to a sarcastic question.

Bac5665
22-02-2009, 18:28
I gotta support Lord Dan on this. There is no possible way that the OP's proposal is possible, and attempting to rouse rabble that has no point and may well confuse "people who are not well versed in the game". That's bad form.

Roxors45
22-02-2009, 18:52
Well its already obvious she's got a hard on for defeating this Lizardmen player. Perhaps she's just trying to incite some Rule Lawyer into taking up her case and making a valid argument that she can then argue.

If its anything like my 2 victories (out of 2) over Magic/Raise Heavy VC armies it'll end in "this is (bleep)ing bull**it. (Bleep)ing slann is (bleep)ing chessy/undercosted. (Bleep) you! I know I took 3 black coaches, but you have an Engine and a Slann! Cheese!" VC players don't take a beating very well round here.

2 different cities, 2 different players. Same reaction. Haha.

Grimtuff
22-02-2009, 19:29
Well its already obvious she's got a hard on for defesting this Lizardmen player. Perhaps sh's just trying to incite some Rule Lawyer into taking up her case and making a valid argument that she can the argue. If its anything like my 2 victories (out of 2) over Magic/Raise heavy armies it'll end in "this is ********** bu****it. ********g slann is *******n* chessy/undercosted. ***k you! I know I took 3 black coaches! But you have an Engine and a Slann! Cheese!

2 different cities, 2 different players. Same reaction. Haha.

:confused::eyebrows::wtf:

Erm, what?

Necromancy Black
22-02-2009, 20:59
:confused::eyebrows::wtf:

Erm, what?

You forgot "the" and "****".

vamp
22-02-2009, 22:46
Is there any reason for this thread to continue?

Kalec
22-02-2009, 23:24
As has been stated, since the dice don't exist at the beginning of the phase, they can't be taken away.

This should have been the first and last reply to this thread.

Feel ashamed Warseer.

SuperBeast
22-02-2009, 23:25
What if your opponent says his Slann is going to use a power stone before the magic phase starts?
Because then he's going to generate two extra dice, which would infer that this would also include the bonus dice and oh no my brain's melted.

Darn, I remember when I could troll without thinking about it. :cries:

Lord Dan
23-02-2009, 02:04

Feel ashamed Warseer.

You posted here, too. :p

Asmodiseus
23-02-2009, 02:43
I know that vamp has posted some stuff recently that has caused problems, but I have to defend her to a point here. Part of what draws me to this site is some of the OTT arguments people bring up. I love debating rules, and going through the book dissecting what each thing says. When I have a question I should feel free to post it without immediately being slammed as WAAC scum. Now obviously if Im going to propose something completely OTT then I will put a disclaimer on the thread like the one where the guy was asking for the craziest RAW rulings you could find.

So basicly what I am saying is that no one should have to feel ashamed about posting a rules question in a rules forum. I know hundreds of other forums out there that would kill to have the traffic this forum does.

But in defense of Dan, I dont think his response was that bad, the OP posted an OTT question and he posted an OTT answer, I didnt find it very rude at all. I really wish people would stop getting offended so much around here.

Lord Dan
23-02-2009, 02:48
I know that vamp has posted some stuff recently that has caused problems, but I have to defend her to a point here. Part of what draws me to this site is some of the OTT arguments people bring up. I love debating rules, and going through the book dissecting what each thing says. When I have a question I should feel free to post it without immediately being slammed as WAAC scum. Now obviously if Im going to propose something completely OTT then I will put a disclaimer on the thread like the one where the guy was asking for the craziest RAW rulings you could find.

So basicly what I am saying is that no one should have to feel ashamed about posting a rules question in a rules forum. I know hundreds of other forums out there that would kill to have the traffic this forum does.

But in defense of Dan, I dont think his response was that bad, the OP posted an OTT question and he posted an OTT answer, I didnt find it very rude at all. I really wish people would stop getting offended so much around here.

Thank you, Asmodiseus. You bring up a good point about tolerating "ridiculous" rules questions, and you're absolutely right. We should be a support network, not a group of jaded elitists.

EvC
23-02-2009, 13:07

How could that have been the first and last post when it refers directly to a previous response? Gotcha :p