PDA

View Full Version : the single worst magic phase i have EVER had.

Foegnasher
21-02-2009, 05:30
happend thursday.
i play skaven.
now, i have had miscasts before.
i have killed my seer on the first turn before.
hell, i once Irresistable forced some warplighting and then killed the caster with double 1's for hits.

but thursday?

outclassed by a 8 dispel die dwarf list, my lowly 2 warlocks were struggleing. one had I.F.'d a bolt that turned a unit of thunderers into fried sausages. but the next turn....

Caster 1. sees a unit of hammerers and a bsb, needs to get them down as the unit that was supposed to deter them for a while paniced after a hellblaster shot. so he has to chug a bit of warpstone. he reolls a 5, a 1 and a 1 on the warpstone dice. he is autowounded, then rolls a 3 on the miscast table. dead, with 3 rats with him.

oh well, it happens right? i still have my other who is strategicly place in a tower on the left flank with some jezzails. he takes aim, at (ironically enough) a second unit of hammerers.
miscast. takes a wound, and loses a level. now he is a 110 point paperwieght. my magic phase goes poof, and the game speeds up a little bit.

anyone else ever lose multiple casters at all at once? this was a serious owtch moment for me.

Urgat
21-02-2009, 06:26
Pah.
5th edition.
1st turn's for my opponent: His magic phase leaves my (gob) general with one wound left.
My turn: after a bad animosity streak, my army stays stuck to my table border. Magic phase: my shaman explodes, wounding randomly around him. Takes away my general's last wound. 5th edition remember? 90% of my army leaves the table on the resulting panic tests.
That's my worst magic phase ever, I believe. That's probably my worst game ever, in fact.
As for losing both my shamans at the same time? Happened more often than an orc can count, I believe.

Zarryiosiad
21-02-2009, 06:34
This one happened last weekend to a friend of mine. He brought out an Ogre Kingdoms army against my brother-in-law's Warriors of Chaos army. On his first attempt at casting a spell, he didn't roll high enough to get it off, and learned firsthand what the Black Tongue/Infernal Puppet combo is capable of doing to a Butcher. The Butcher died instantly, and the other one took a wound. With only one Butcher left, he struggled for the rest of the game to get any magic to work at all, and lost in a big way.

Zarry

Genrazn
21-02-2009, 06:37
VC vs Lizardmen or DE (Me being the LM or DE) My opponent miscasted every spell and eventually killed his lord. About... 8+ times of miscasting love.

baphomael
21-02-2009, 07:25
Since the new daemon army book came out, my daemonic legion's spellcasters have consistantly miscast in *every* game I've played. I mean *every*.

Perhaps, justifiably, its Khorne punishing me for dabbling in cowardly witchcraft. Y'see, before the armybook came out, I played an exclusively khorne daemon list using the Storm of Chaos list. Since the armybook came out I branched out into a more undivided force. Obviously Khorne is punishing me. Next time I'll use this keyboard will be through the medium of tentacles :p

havoc626
21-02-2009, 08:13
I saw a HE army more or less completely annihilate itself because of WoC Pandamonium and a very annoying Infernal Puppet. Telcis (twice), Archmage with Book of Hoeth and 3 mages all miscast and killed themselves in the first magic phase and all due to results of 2. I dont know if the HE player was laughing or crying in the end.

Funny thing about it? He went on to win, due to extreme amounts of luck. (Good for him, bad for opponent)

Lupinbell
21-02-2009, 10:23
As for losing both my shamans at the same time? Happened more often than an orc can count, I believe.

So about three then?:p

I can't really think of any truly disasterous magic phases, all my bad luck comes from misfiring ratling guns.:)

Leogun_91
21-02-2009, 11:05
1st turn (I begin) my orc great shaman explodes, he was my general as well and that extra leadership and power dices would have been usefull.

SuperArchMegalon
21-02-2009, 11:51
This wasn't mine, but a friend's:

Brand new campaign, first time we ever tried one. Game 1, turn 1, his Daemon Prince (old book, and his only lord) rolls Red Fire against some fast cav... miscasts, rolls snake eyes, and then rolls a 1 on the campaign recovery table, thus destroying his Lord to Red Fire.

Roxors45
21-02-2009, 14:01
Here's a good one Foegnasher. My friend went heavy Magic to defend against my Lizardmen Slann and Engine. Turn 2 (after we closed distances and got preparred to sling and soak up spells) it's my turn. So I throw out a Wall of Fire, right off the bat, at his huge unit of Night Goblins. I roll 4 dice at it (3 +1 free discipline die) and roll 6+6+1+1.....here we go. So I miscast and roll the 2 die that rolled 1s (what's the chance right?). Snake eyes.... all is not lost though! Cupped hands of the old ones baby, bounces a miscast on a 2+. I thankfully roll a 3 (too close for comfort) and bounce it to his level 4 shaman in the unit of Night Goblins of which 3 more gobbos die to S10 hits. One Wizard down.

The rest of my turn is fairly lackluster magic wise so he throws away his tissues, sniffs a couple times and gets to his magic phase. "Payback!" he declares.

I inform him of my Plaque of Dominion of which he tests for his 3 remaining Shamen (stupidity) to which 1 fails. Yay he's done. I throw my Becalming Cognition (nominated wizard loses 6s to cast) on one wizard who he rolled Mork Wants Ya and Gork'll fix it (hate that spell). He starts off with this mage and uses his 'Ead butt ring. Dispelled on 2 die. Now he rolls 3 die at Mork wants you to try and snipe my Engine Priest. 5 4 and 6. Thank god the 6s get nulified. But wait! He has mushrooms! Nooooo. He rolls to add a mushroom and rolls a 1, miscasting. He rolls on his chart and something minor happens so I use my Cursed Charm of Tepok forcing a reroll on the chart. Pop! He explodes.

His next Mage (not the stupid one) tries to cast Gork's Warpath with 3 dice and rolls 5 1 1. I can't help myself and laugh when he rolls his miscast and gets a 6. He takes 3 S4 hits and dies to them. At this point he conceeded the game knowing my terradon chief with the pirahna blade was charging his last mage next turn. All in all good times were had

Lord_Squinty
21-02-2009, 16:35
Worst Ive had was a few editions ago, 800+ point Slaan miscast with first spell and rolled the cannot use magic for remainder of the battle... :(

theunwantedbeing
21-02-2009, 16:42
After playing one opponent for many many years his unfathomably annoying "irresistable force 9/10 attempts" vampire lord finally micast on spell 1 and blew up.
Annoyingly this was one of the few times I didn't actually go to veterans night so I missed it.......

I'de put that as my worst magic phase, simply as I wasnt there to enjoy it.

Shamfrit
21-02-2009, 16:45
Worst one for me was loosing 3 Butchers and a Slaughtermaster turn one...

How I loll'd, then never rolled more than one dice for an Ogre spell...ever again...

Orcboy_Phil
21-02-2009, 17:09
Ever since starting Skaven I've had a sley of really bad magic phases. Pretty much every game at least one Warlock engineer dies to explosions. Last game was hilariouse thougth. I had skitter leaped one of my Warlocks to behind the Lizardmen lines he had already taken a wound to Warpligntning. Well being cocky I rolled my a lvl2 blast and ate a chunk of Warpstone to make sure it goes of. *Poof* before he could even chock on the warpstone he explodes into a fine green mist. Well rats will be rats so I hoped the next one would have a bit more luck. *Bazamm* Warplightning goes off and toasts a couple of Sarus. However something must have short circuited and he losses a wound as Green energy consumes his body. Never mind his charred hand pulls out a Storm Demon which promptly explodes in his face taken not only him out but three buddies standing next to him.
However the funniest thing I actually saw was a massive battle at the local GW. A massive army of goblins and undead vs the Hordes of chaos. Now this was a big game and there seemed to be no rhyme of reason with regards to force compostion. So every Goblin hero on the table was a Great Shaman. Needless to say a low roll on the Goblin miscast table coupled with a -D3 to that roll led to a nice firework display as every goblin shamans head on the table exploded into a fountain of green-red gore.

Urgat
21-02-2009, 17:40
So about three then?:p

I rarely play 2000+, so I'm limited to 3 characters, so I need that goblin general to "unit-jump" around to lend Ld, so I don't field 3 shamans :)

So I miscast and roll the 2 die that rolled 1s (what's the chance right?).

If you're me? Huge :D

Keller
21-02-2009, 19:45
Worst one for me was loosing 3 Butchers and a Slaughtermaster turn one...

How I loll'd, then never rolled more than one dice for an Ogre spell...ever again...

I've lost 2 butchers in a turn before. One had been wounded previously, though.

Gaargod
21-02-2009, 19:53
Slann: first spell, use one dice + free one. Double 1s. Dammit. Miscast = double 1. Crap. Oh wait, i have cupped hands of the old ones! On a 2+, i'll transfer it to his Chaos wizard lord doom AND HE SHALL DIE INSTEAD. Or not, as the case may be. 10 Temple Guard explode as a large scaly hand snatches away the 450pts lord.

Double 1, followed by double 1, followed by a 1. First spell.

What makes it even worse is that my opponent has the most ridiculous luck ever. He gets Infernal Gateway off EVERY single game. In a 1000points match today, he rolled triple 6 on his first attempt at it, then double 6 for strength. Grave guard and 3 vampires disappear. Next turn, double 6 and a 1 on the Black Knights unit. Double 6 hits, S8 hits. Black Knights disappear. He does stuff like this every bloody time, its actually ridiculous.

What makes it worse

Gorbad Ironclaw
21-02-2009, 20:33
It wasn't multiple mages, but it certainly change the outcome of the game in a significant way.

It was in a tournament a couple of years ago, I think we were playing something like 500 or 750 as a small game in between the others. I was using Dark Elves and was playing against Brets.

Turn one his only Damsel, safely hiding in his lance of Realm Knights miscasts on turn one. Does a str 10 hit to everyone in base contact and wipes out his lance to a man. With the majority of his knights dead on turn one the Errents and Pegasus knights spent the rest of the game running away from my Dark Elves.

Genrazn
21-02-2009, 20:39
Slann: first spell, use one dice + free one. Double 1s. Dammit. Miscast = double 1. Crap. Oh wait, i have cupped hands of the old ones! On a 2+, i'll transfer it to his Chaos wizard lord doom AND HE SHALL DIE INSTEAD. Or not, as the case may be. 10 Temple Guard explode as a large scaly hand snatches away the 450pts lord.

Double 1, followed by double 1, followed by a 1. First spell.

What makes it even worse is that my opponent has the most ridiculous luck ever. He gets Infernal Gateway off EVERY single game. In a 1000points match today, he rolled triple 6 on his first attempt at it, then double 6 for strength. Grave guard and 3 vampires disappear. Next turn, double 6 and a 1 on the Black Knights unit. Double 6 hits, S8 hits. Black Knights disappear. He does stuff like this every bloody time, its actually ridiculous.

What makes it worse

You sir need to check ito see if he has rigged dice.

wingedserpant
21-02-2009, 21:26
I decided to let my DE opponent get away with all the power of darkness spells in the vain hope that it might cause a wound. First spell he tries to use miscasts and ends the magic phase. Two lV 2's dead and and lv4 on one wound.

And Gaargod. Try to 'forget' your dice the next time you play that fellow. You know so he has to share. It sounds like those dice are weighted.

Wolfmother
21-02-2009, 21:41
serves your right for only taking 2 warlocks! always 3!

and to be fair if your opponent has 8 dispell dice and u have 6 power dice you are not very likely to get any spells off you were lucky to get warp lightning off fist turn!

Foegnasher
21-02-2009, 23:49
serves your right for only taking 2 warlocks! always 3!

and to be fair if your opponent has 8 dispell dice and u have 6 power dice you are not very likely to get any spells off you were lucky to get warp lightning off fist turn!

yeah, jason's list is a mother.

runelord, anvil, rune of gimmie your power dice
master engineer
bsb w/ 2+ rerollable and 5+ wd

25 warriors, fc
2 x 15 hammerers
10 thunderers
10 xbowmen
gyrocopter
organ gun
cannon
str 7 flameing bolt thrower
10 scouts

tough list.

edit, i killed a lot of it though....

Axis
21-02-2009, 23:55
My mate tried throwing a spirit of the forge at my warriors. Miscast, then i tell him i have an infernal puppet but before i get the chance to roll my d3 he has gone and rolled on the table and gotten snakes anyways. Dead slaan, 11 dead temple guard.

My worst was miscasting a grey seer which took down his screaming bell as well.

Dark_Knight
22-02-2009, 02:59
I have a Bretonnian Army so a bad magic phase is my usual. :(

Angelust
22-02-2009, 03:07
My worst magic phase:

Trying out new WoC with Villitch and some Tzeentch casters.

Turn 1, Villitch is in range for gateway. Casts on five dice. I roll 5 ones! Everyone laughs. I only get a caster level taken away, and forget the spell. Other sorcerors roll ones and twos, get nothing off

Turn 2, Villitch again casts gateway, this time on 4 dice. Three ones and a four. He ends the magic phase.

Turn 3, my little chaos army is basically getting squashed by the other guy, and Villitch has done more damage to himself than anybody else.

Other games, I get off like 3 irresistable Infernal Gateways, and they end up being 3 S3 attacks, or 4 S2 attacks...ugh, that spells makes me cry.

Urgat
22-02-2009, 09:44
I decided to let my DE opponent get away with all the power of darkness spells in the vain hope that it might cause a wound. First spell he tries to use miscasts and ends the magic phase. Two lV 2's dead and and lv4 on one wound.

What, the guy rigged HIS dies? :p

Neckutter
22-02-2009, 10:52
i know last week my slann miscasted and rolled the result where everyone in base contact takes a S6 hit, no armor save. poor temple guard never saw it coming! BOOM! 12 dead temple guard. not a fun time!

Roxors45
22-02-2009, 18:38
i know last week my slann miscasted and rolled the result where everyone in base contact takes a S6 hit, no armor save. poor temple guard never saw it coming! BOOM! 12 dead temple guard. not a fun time!

That's two entries in this thread about miscasting Slann. How many dice on average do you throw at something? Don't you have cupped hands? I throw 5 at stuff just to try and miscast if it hasn't gone off by 5th turn, but only ever use 3. Maybe I'm just lucky/properly protected.

Neckutter
22-02-2009, 18:41
it was about turn 5 in the game and i do have cupped hands. cupped hands was used earlier in the game though. i use the lore of Death with my Slann, and i rolled 2 dice plus my free one since drain life needed a 10 to cast. when you cast 3 spells a turn with at least 2 dice, over 6 turns... miscasts are inevitable.

TiechoNortheal
22-02-2009, 19:24
I've seen a Skaven army totally and utterly self destruct in a single turn before.

Magic Phase? One caster took a wound from a warp stone piece, then his Storm Daemon rolled a '1' for hits and killed him. Then another Warlock miscasted and lost a wound. Another Warlock rolled a 6 and a 1 on a big Warp Lightning and took a wound. Grey Seer then takes two wounds from his Warpstone tokens, and the resulting miscast takes his last wound.

Shooting Phase? Both the surviving Warlocks shoot themselves in the heads with their Warplock Pistols, killing themselves. A Warp Lightning Cannon blows up from a misfire. A Ratling Gun Misfires and sends all 12 of it's shots into a unit of 7 Jezzails, killing all of them. The resulting panic tests cause another unit of Jezzails, a WarpFire Thrower, and a unit of Clanrats to flee off the table.

On the enemy's shooting phase (bottom of turn 1, so still technically the same turn) the Screaming Bell the Grey Seer had been riding on got shot with a Cannon. It made it's ward save and got rung with 3 dice, rolled Trip 2's and ripped itself apart.

Such silliness often happens with Skaven Armies. The important thing to remember is that same day, with the same army, the Skaven player completely and utterly destroyed a High Elf army before they even got the chance to cross the center line.

Skaven are fun. No matter what, loads of stuff will die when you put it on the table. The dice are only there to tell if it's your army or the enemy's that's being killed.

Bac5665
22-02-2009, 19:36
I played against OnG with my OK once.

The Orcs went first. On his turn, his lvl4 and lvl2 mages both miscast and killed themselves. It was hilarious. My magic phase, Butcher 1 miscasts and hurts himself, but not much else happens. Second Butcher miscasts and rolls the d3 wounds result. He kills the alread injured butcher, but survives himself. But the hits on the unit panic it, and he flees of the board.

By the end of turn 1, 1,2,3,4 miscasts, leaving the game without magic. That was a crazy game!

Arguleon-veq
22-02-2009, 19:40
My Nurgle Daemons a few weeks ago;

Tzeentch Herald - Miscasts, kills himself and 4 Horrors
Horrors - Miscast, kills 4 more Horrors
Great Unclean One - Miscasts loses a wound and a Level. Then Miscasts again and loses another level.

This was all over the course of 2 turns. Still got the win but all that miscasting dropped it down to a minor victory. Thankfully I offed a big unit of Chaos Ogres with a flank charge with Flesh Hounds, held up his line by making Nurglings withone of my Nurgle spells whilst I flanked his unit of Marauders powering down my other flank with my Unclean One.

javgoro
22-02-2009, 20:02
I've seen a Skaven army totally and utterly self destruct in a single turn before.

Magic Phase? One caster took a wound from a warp stone piece, then his Storm Daemon rolled a '1' for hits and killed him. Then another Warlock miscasted and lost a wound. Another Warlock rolled a 6 and a 1 on a big Warp Lightning and took a wound. Grey Seer then takes two wounds from his Warpstone tokens, and the resulting miscast takes his last wound.

Shooting Phase? Both the surviving Warlocks shoot themselves in the heads with their Warplock Pistols, killing themselves. A Warp Lightning Cannon blows up from a misfire. A Ratling Gun Misfires and sends all 12 of it's shots into a unit of 7 Jezzails, killing all of them. The resulting panic tests cause another unit of Jezzails, a WarpFire Thrower, and a unit of Clanrats to flee off the table.

On the enemy's shooting phase (bottom of turn 1, so still technically the same turn) the Screaming Bell the Grey Seer had been riding on got shot with a Cannon. It made it's ward save and got rung with 3 dice, rolled Trip 2's and ripped itself apart.

Such silliness often happens with Skaven Armies. The important thing to remember is that same day, with the same army, the Skaven player completely and utterly destroyed a High Elf army before they even got the chance to cross the center line.

Skaven are fun. No matter what, loads of stuff will die when you put it on the table. The dice are only there to tell if it's your army or the enemy's that's being killed.

Are you sure that army was made up of rat-men and not lemming-men? :D

Axis
22-02-2009, 20:57
That's two entries in this thread about miscasting Slann. How many dice on average do you throw at something? Don't you have cupped hands? I throw 5 at stuff just to try and miscast if it hasn't gone off by 5th turn, but only ever use 3. Maybe I'm just lucky/properly protected.

Slaan cast a lot of spells eventually they miscast. Also they are expensive (not as much as before but they are still pricey) and have so many expensive models in base contact so miscasts tend to be spectacular and rather memorable.

Most wizards with have 3 or 5 infantry in base contact (if any). The slaan has 12 and they are expensive! Most people tend to run their slaan with temple guard...

Roxors45
22-02-2009, 21:07
Slaan cast a lot of spells eventually they miscast. Also they are expensive (not as much as before but they are still pricey) and have so many expensive models in base contact so miscasts tend to be spectacular and rather memorable.

Most wizards with have 3 or 5 infantry in base contact (if any). The slaan has 12 and they are expensive! Most people tend to run their slaan with temple guard...

The quote was based off no mentions of "Cupped Hands of the Old Ones" failing. I take this as they kitted out a Magic Wielding Powerhouse without an insurance plan for miscasting.

TiechoNortheal
22-02-2009, 21:36
Are you sure that army was made up of rat-men and not lemming-men? :D

Heh. That's just the most concentrated amount of Skaven malfunction I've ever seen. There are loads and loads of isolated examples.

It was the only silly thing to happen to the Skaven during the game, but I've seen a Warp Lightning Cannon misfire, get the result that says it fires a Str 10 Bolt 48" in a random direction, then have that shot careen into the Screaming Bell, after which it passes its Ward save and rings Trip 5's to blow itself up.

Skaven player just shrugged and said "Oops".

It gave him some ideas, though. One game he actually brought a pair of 85pt DOW Cannons as his rares and did nothing but target enemy units and under-guess to hit his own Screaming Bell every turn. He actually managed to ring it three times in a single shooting phase twice during the game. Ended up killing his own DOW Cannons with the result that does D3 wounds to all Warmachines on the table, but it was certainly original.

Wolfmother
22-02-2009, 22:08
yeah, jason's list is a mother.

runelord, anvil, rune of gimmie your power dice
master engineer
bsb w/ 2+ rerollable and 5+ wd

25 warriors, fc
2 x 15 hammerers
10 thunderers
10 xbowmen
gyrocopter
organ gun