PDA

View Full Version : If you could make your own rules..

azimaith
07-12-2005, 07:28
Lets say for an instant you got a call from GW and they said they wanted average gamers to come up with average gamer rules. Thus they give you the option to write two rules for two different units in any army that would be snapped up by GW publishing and put into the newest version of the codex, completely official. What rules would you make?

For me it would have to be from the tyranids.
1: Lictor would have a new rule that allowed it to reroll deepstrike results once if they deep struck within 1 inch of another model in cover.
2: Carnifex would get a "barreling charge" move, at the cost of an initiative adrenal gland (which would be burnt out after) the carnifex could move 6, fleet 6, and charge 12 once during a game. This would help bring the big bugs who are have so many currently pointless melee options into the fight.

What about you guys?

violenceha
07-12-2005, 07:35
thousand sons sorcerers have a summon spell, creating D3 thousand sons
lieutenant level daemon characters

Dakkagor
07-12-2005, 08:07
Allow some ork units to purchase special skills, especially infiltrate for tankbustas and furious charge for stormboyz

Ubik_Lives
07-12-2005, 08:26
1. Allow Kroot to buy a 5+ save for another 1pt per model on top of the 1pt for the 6+ save.

2. Add Tau to the list of armies that can take the Kroot Mercs.

KingNova3000
07-12-2005, 09:27
The option to give guard shotguns!

nurgle_boy
07-12-2005, 09:41
new autogun rules, and mroe variety to orks from a single unit (no more stikkbommas! they all troops should simply be optable to take form slugga boys, so you can have a horde, or 'leet 'ardboy korpz!

Venkh
07-12-2005, 09:59
Dark reapers need to be able to take the ELM
Dark reapers should have a 3+ save.

Dark reapers, while useful dont really fulfill the role that was defined for them when they were originally conceived.

Vosk
07-12-2005, 10:39
- Reduce the cost of a Gretchin to 2pts, a Shoota Boy to 6pts, a Slugga Boy to 7pts and a Stikk Bomma to 7pts.
- Have Choppas impose -1 to Armour Saves.
- More customisation for War Traks, Battle Wagons and Truks.
- Introduction of a Clan based system of choosing your army, based on your Warboss.
- Special Ork units getting a few skills. Infiltrate for Tank Bustas. Furious Charge for Storm Boyz and Skar Boyz. Counter Attack for Ard Boyz.
- Expanded list of Lootas Loot, including all Imperial weaponry, and one unit per army being able to take Tau, Eldar or Dark Eldar weaponry.
- Expanded list for Looted vehicles, remove the 0-1 feature and allow 0-1 Looted Vehicle to be Tau, Eldar or Dark Eldar.
- A S6, T5, 4W WaaarghBoss with a silly number of attacks and a cost to reflect this.

Hmm... I see a theme emerging with my suggestions! :p

Khaine's Messenger
07-12-2005, 10:50
Charge reactions. Because the Greater Good demands them.... ;)

Venkh
07-12-2005, 11:00
"- Have Choppas impose -1 to Armour Saves."

Hey man thats dangerous, it would leave players confused and unable to comprehend the rules of the game. I mean what if it spread to other weapons like big shoota's or shuriken cannon?
It would mean the end of the huge "MEQ vs the rest" debate that rages on millions of desolated world forums.
In the dark future of the 41st Millenium there is only the AP system!

Getz
09-12-2005, 00:38
Shas'vres in the Tau list get BS4 instead of their currently useless hth upgrades.

Autocannons get a special "high velocity" rule with is the ranged equivalent of a Choppa, meaning nothing gets a better save than 4+ against them... Why? Because Autocannons used to butcher Marines with much wonderful, gory messiness, but now they bounce off Power Armour like warm summer rain.

Adept
09-12-2005, 01:54
1 - All models block LOS from the edges of their base to the top of the model. The width of their base is considered to be the area the model occupies as it moves and fights, and thus blocks LOS for both friends and foes.

2 - When shooting at a target in soft cover, subtract one from each of your die rolls. So a 4 would become a three, a five would become a four, etc. When shooting at a target in hard cover, subtract two. When shooting at a target in a bunker, subtract three.

3 - When you are assaulted, you may choose to flee, stand and shoot, or hold.

4 - All models have movement rates. Four for humans, five for Eldar, six for Hormagaunts and other 'fleet' monsters.

More to come as I think of them.

Rafi
09-12-2005, 02:00
Heh.

Instead of Toughness(Real Toughness) I would have Toughness(Strength Needed to Insta-Kill). That way you could have, say, Genestealers with T4(5) and two wounds that could be insta-killed by Strength 5 weapons. This would work great because you could have high-Toughness with lower Insta-Kill or you could have low-Toughness with high Insta-Kill (Multiple-wound Swarms that are T3(9), for example).

I would also make Rapid Fire weapons add +1 to their AP when they Rapid Fire. So Bolters would go to AP6, Plasma Guns to AP3, etc (Lasguns would remain -). This would help make 5+ saves a teensie bit better. I would also allow Rapid Fire weapons to fire once at 0"-12" instead of always Rapid Firing.

I would make Autocannons AP3.

I would make Rending effect on the To Wound roll instead of the To Hit.

I would make Shotguns hit on a 2+.

I would make Grenade Launcher Krak rounds AP3.

I would reduce the effectiveness of the various 'don't hurt me' skimming-tank upgrades by making them cause the vehicle to always count as moving for the purposes of only being glanced. They're tough enough to kill on a 6+, no need to make us re-roll or roll two dice.

I would make Kustom Force Fields into 'can only be glanced' instead of Hull Down.

All for now. ;)

blitz589
09-12-2005, 02:03
If you adjusted autocannons, then the missiel launce would never be taken, so that will have to be ap2, then te lazcannon ap1, so probably not a good idea. Maybey giving it rending, and another shot, kinda like assault cannon.
Better Chaos Psi powers, need to compete with mindwar, and fear of darkness.

Atzcapotzalco
09-12-2005, 02:05
Maximum move of 18" except vehicles, because a higher charge range is far too much.
Replace the fleet rule with something sensible.
No assaulting on the first turn, because that's just ridiculous.

blitz589
09-12-2005, 02:09
Maximum move of 18" except vehicles, because a higher charge range is far too much.
Replace the fleet rule with something sensible.
No assaulting on the first turn, because that's just ridiculous.
So someone plays (insert shooty army) Just deploy in cover, or have counter charge units.

starlight
09-12-2005, 02:27
Well thought out Klans.

Variable stats for points Warboss.

Adept
09-12-2005, 02:31
Oh yes. Completely abolish the AP system.

Instead, replace it with an armour modifier system, where each weapon is given a value (AM3, for example) that is subtracted the targets armour save die roll.

For example, a heavy bolter could be Strength 5, Heavy 3, AM2. When shooting at marines, they would subtract 2 from all die rolls made for armour saves, meaning their effective armour save becomes a 5+ instead of a flat 3+.

This would stop the 'all or nothing' effect of many weapons versus certain troops types. Autocannons could be used to target marines, or even Terminators. They still wouldn't be as effective as Lascannons, but they would stand a better chance of penetrating the marines armour than a rock thrown by a gretchin, which is more than can be said for them in their current state.

Trunks
09-12-2005, 03:37
"- Have Choppas impose -1 to Armour Saves."

Hey man thats dangerous, it would leave players confused and unable to comprehend the rules of the game. I mean what if it spread to other weapons like big shoota's or shuriken cannon?
It would mean the end of the huge "MEQ vs the rest" debate that rages on millions of desolated world forums.
In the dark future of the 41st Millenium there is only the AP system!

In the dark future of the 41st Millenium players can't handle simple math :evilgrin:

The AP system would be nicer if you had to beat the model's armor instead of equal it. 3+ saves wouldn't be nearly as important then since people could actually get saves versus basic weaponry without power armor (like it was possible to do in 2nd edition . . .).

The AP system should be applied to close combat too. AP5 Chainswords, AP2 Power swords, etc.,.

Of course, it'd be nicer to just go back to armor mods since they made more sense, but the "target market" can't handle 1st grade math :)

Mad_Max
09-12-2005, 18:51
choppas or renening aviable as a uppgrade to more armies ccw equiped choices (ex orgyns, assult marines, striking scorpions)

a rework of how guard docotines are bougth, five points to buy back restricted units(maybe add a few that aren't allowed in the normal list)
and five points to spend on org , skills and equipment (here to add a few items)

IncubiLord
09-12-2005, 19:31
Ah, I see 2ed and fantasy bleeding into 40K.

Remove the stupid 1 flying Tyrant rule, and allow flyers (anything with a skimmer/jump pack rule) to assault skimmers normally.
Assaulting a skimmer is insanely bad now. It moves 7 inches and my Hive Tyrant flying next to it can only hit on a 6, AND can't manage a penetrating hit despite the fact that his talons are longer than the thing is wide.

My DE scare the crap out of my bugs.

Atzcapotzalco
09-12-2005, 19:41
So someone plays (insert shooty army) Just deploy in cover, or have counter charge units.

Tyranids actually, doesn't change the fact that 24", the range of most basic weapons, is too far for normal infantry to be moving, or that assaulting on the first turn, before your opponents get *any chance to react at all* is among the more ridiculously unbalanced abilities in 40K.
As for the fleet rule, there is simply very little defending it in its current form. It's a clumsy, poorly thought-out fix to an oversimplified movement system that is unspeakably fiddly and leads to ludicrous random variations in movement rates.