PDA

View Full Version : Soul Stealing in 40K

Lord Balor
02-05-2005, 13:39
Just a Few Quick Q's to endure my fluff in Balor's Big Project is right.

1) How is it that the Dark Eldar are able to feast/Consume the souls of others?

2) How is it Soul Stones Work and can they be Configured to beings other than the Eldar?

3) When sworn to Choas, the Dark Gods don't get your soul till you die?

4) How Bright is the Major Races Reflection in the Warp?

Cheers

Lord Balor

He Who Laughs
02-05-2005, 14:01
Hmm, I can help you out a bit with 2 and 4...

2) Soul stones are attunely solely to the mind of it's owner - and are designed to capture the Eldar's "soul" (psychic energy) at the point of death. If not, into the Warp it goes... they wouldn't work with lesser (ie human) races - as they are not spiritually conscious when they die (as the Eldar are) and thus wouldn't even be aware of the fact that their spirit essence/soul is now sitting inside a shining gem.

4) It appears that the warp reflection (read: soul) is based on the psychic abilites of the race. Pariahs ("soulless humans") are at the bottom (with no reflection), Tau are at not far behind, normal humans are a dull glow, human psykers are a burning candle, I'm not sure where Orks fit in (or Kroot), Marine Librarians are a flashlight and Eldar are a dirty-great big strip of burning magnesium (ie blinding light). Nids (or more accurately the Hive Mind) has the opposite effect, and casts a "warp shadow".

Flame Boy
03-05-2005, 18:52
I'm not sure if a "Warp Shadow" is the correct way to think of it, even if that's how it is described. To me, as warp shadow would be the effect of the more powerful Pariahs, who appear to have a negative effect in the warp that disrupts the psychic abilities of others, but the hive mind is highly psychic, so rather than being a shadow, a nonentity like the pariah, it's psychic presense I would imagine casts a shadow over other psychic race's abilities. I would imagine this would simply be an impenetrable barrier of totally alien psychic activity...?

Sorry, I don't mean to be pedantic, but I was trying to see if I could clear up an ambiguity in what you posted... It made sense, I just manted to see if I could iron out and potential confusion, but I bet I caused more as a result...

Delicious Soy
04-05-2005, 00:03
Pariahs have a negative effect like a black hole in the warp (although not as powerful). Untouchables have no presence. In terms of race reflection, Humans for the most part never retain conciousness after death and going into the warp (only high level psykers do), Eldar on the other hand do and that why they have a soul stone, in the warp they have nowhere to run.

DE I think use pain as a method of draining a soul of its vitality, probably some sort of reverse souls stone technology to get it.

Karhedron
04-05-2005, 10:30
This has never been clarified as to whether it is an innate ability or whether some technological process is involved. In the early DE fluff in WD, an interogator who was getting information out of a captured Dark Eldar warrior commented that the DE claimed that the souls they feed on could be refined or processed. This suggests some kind of technological intervention as I don't really see Eldar as naturally being soul vampires. My guess is that the DE use some kind of psychic technology not unlike spirit stones to harvest the souls of those they take prisoner.

2) How is it Soul Stones Work and can they be Configured to beings other than the Eldar?
Soul stones are indeed attuned to wearer. They were described in the old fluff as being psychically porous, when the wearer dies, their soul is captured by the stone like water in a sponge rather than diffusing into the Warp. In WD 236 (UK) there is a story about a human leader named Guyan Seth whom the Eldar went to war against. When he was eventually defeated and captured, he was handed over to the Dark Eldar. Apparently his sould was preserved and has since endured 1500 years of torment.

This suggests that the souls of other races can be captured too. Only the Eldar would know how to do this though and it is unlikely that they would do so except in the most unusual circumstances. In one of the Black Library books there is the story of an Eldar Farseer who possesses the body of a human Rogue Trader. The Rogue Trader's soul is preserved in a Spirit Stone in the interim. So I would say that Spirit stone technology can anyone's soul but only if the Eldar have a very good resaon for doing so.

3) When sworn to Choas, the Dark Gods don't get your soul till you die?
I think that pretty much sums it up. Power and glory in return for your immortal soul on death is the usual pact.

KhornateLord
05-05-2005, 03:07

3) When sworn to Chaos, the Dark Gods don't get your soul till you die?

4) How Bright is the Major Races Reflection in the Warp?

1. Unknown: Possibly through torture / daemonic / technological means. Maybe some kind of technological daemon torture instrument.

2. As stated above, water/porous stone analogy. Perhaps directed by the eldar's psychic powers, and thus the eldar may have to 'help' human souls get in one ie like the story where hey trapped the stupid human's soul.

3. Yes, although the dark gods can get it other ways:
Tzeentch can trick you into killing yourself with false visions. If you aren't needed any more, then he'll get your soul out of you.

Khorne can demand you kill yourself to sate his bloodlust.

Slaanesh can push you too far so you kill yourself searching for greater experience.

Nurgle could presumably kill you with disease, dunno if thats ever alluded to in fluff.

4/ I think the orks soul only shows up when they are grouped together waiting for a fight etc, perhaps their 'soul' only exists during combat while other orks are around. who knows. perhaps wyrdboys are an exception to this.