PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend money on Ogres

plowboy22
22-02-2009, 13:35
Hi all,
I have $200 to spend and want to start a Ogre Kingdon army. So the question is simple ....... what should I buy?

The codex is a given so what else should I get?

Thanks in advance!

Mabus
22-02-2009, 15:13
The Battalion is a good start. That'll give you quite a diverse bunch of models that'll form quite a solid core to your army. You'll need a leader. It's up to you what you want here, I'd go for a Bruiser. They're pretty scary! You could of course opt for a Butcher instead tough.

Guy Fawkes
22-02-2009, 15:14
Hi all,
I have $200 to spend and want to start a Ogre Kingdon army. So the question is simple ....... what should I buy?

The codex is a given so what else should I get?

Thanks in advance!

Is that US or Australian dollars? I'll assume US.

I'd get the Battalion first off - It gives you 6 Bulls, 4 Ironguts, 4 Leadbelchers, and 24 Gnoblars. That is quite a bit for an Ogre army. After that I would play with it a bit and see what looks good next - just proxy a Bruiser if you need to.

To make your army legal, you need a character to be General, but I'd convert one from a Bull. Just glue shields, bits and bobs, and make an impressive base. Give him a cool-looking Irongut weapon if you made 3 Ironguts + Standard Bearer.

After that, which will cost you $90 retail or $72 with the 20% off discount of The Warstore and most online sellers, I'd seriously take a look at what you need and what seems cool. Some people like to get a Butcher at this point, others like Gorgers or Yhetees, but you should buy what you're attracted to.

In my mind, you'll still want to bulk up. Ogre Kingdoms needs as many models as it can get, and it wants to run 4-wide to get maximum contact with the enemy. If you expect to get shot, you might even throw 2 guys in the back rank for six ablative wounds, but this gets expensive quickly. In my mind, getting another box of Bulls (which will throw you up to 11 Bulls, enough to run a 4-wide, 4-wide, and 3-wide setup) is the way to go. Three units will give you some punch, especially against weaker troops where Ironguts are overkill. You can throw a character in with any unit in order to bring the unit up in hitting power. This also lets you get maximum Gnoblar numbers, which can be important.

You're probably at $100 - $110 now, I'm assuming you're using a discount online seller. At this point, I'd pick up a couple of blisters of Gnoblar Trappers. You can't really go wrong with them, because they are so useful. You might consider an additional unit of Ironguts as well, since these guys are your only chance of taking down really powerful enemies.

With the last of your cash, I'd again reevaluate how the army is coming along. What you need more of, so to speak. Getting another box of Gnoblars might help if you are constantly outnumbered and having trouble claiming all the table quarters, but I'd look into picking up/converting a Butcher, or getting some special and fun choices like Maneaters or a Scraplauncher.

Run everything 4-strong if possible, 3-strong if not. Leadbelchers are the exception - they are best used 2-strong. The characters can go wherever they want, but don't leave them out in the open if the enemy has shooting.

w3rm
22-02-2009, 15:28
Check out this site to help you- http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/subpage.php?s=index_ogre_tactics

plowboy22
22-02-2009, 15:32
It is US dollars. Thanks for the replies! I will start with the battle box and go from there. In my area all WHFB games are at 2250 pts. so that is my overall goal. I'm not looking for anything competetive just something to have fun with. I love the look of the Ogres and NOBODY in my area plays them. Thanks again and if anyone has any more advice I would greatly appreciate it.

p.s. What about buying a giant?

snottlebocket
22-02-2009, 16:02
It is US dollars. Thanks for the replies! I will start with the battle box and go from there. In my area all WHFB games are at 2250 pts. so that is my overall goal. I'm not looking for anything competetive just something to have fun with. I love the look of the Ogres and NOBODY in my area plays them. Thanks again and if anyone has any more advice I would greatly appreciate it.

p.s. What about buying a giant?

Just a word of warning, ogres can be cool if you like the look of them. But the reason nobody in your area plays them is probably because ogres are a little underpowered.

The slave giant ogres have is a perfect example. Most army's that can take a giant get a stubborn giant, that means the odds of their giant running away from combat are very slim. Ogres get a slave giant, which is basically an enslaved giant with a broken spirit. In terms of rules that means he doesn't get stubborn and if you ever loose combat, entirely possible due to his random attacks, there's a good chance he might run away.

There's nothing inherrently wrong with ogres and they're a fun and characterful army. But if you're on a budget it's worth being warned beforehand that they're one of the weaker armies in the game.

plowboy22
22-02-2009, 16:33
I know they are one of the weaker armies but I still want to play as I am only playing WHFB for fun. Win or lose I could really care less I just want to have a good time and I really want to paint them more than anything else.

Jack Spratt
22-02-2009, 16:38
I would get two of the battalion boxes. They are presently the box where you save the most money and IMO you can use multiple of all the stuff in the box. As lots of the parts are interchangeable you have many options.

weirdo2590
22-02-2009, 16:59
I'd get yourself two butchers as well as that for bigger games. Ogre magic is wonderfully characterful in its effects (and often pretty powerful too) and you'll need the magical defence against pretty much every other army out there. Theres a trend for massed magery recently (cept in dwarves of course :p)

I'd agree with the buying 2 battalions, they're great value for money and you realy can and likely should use multiples of everything in there (cept leadbelhers mabye, too much of a good thing and all that jazz).

Also can you not just take a -real- giant as Dogs Of War?

snottlebocket
22-02-2009, 17:39
I know they are one of the weaker armies but I still want to play as I am only playing WHFB for fun. Win or lose I could really care less I just want to have a good time and I really want to paint them more than anything else.

And that's the best reason to pick an army. I just figured I'd give fair warning, it's a pretty expensive hobby and some people are a bit disappointed when they find out that their expensive army doesn't play to their liking.

I'll put in another vote for the ogre batallion box. It's pretty good value for money. Also look into converting some characters of your own.

I find that ogre ironguts are far superior to ogre bulls, so you might find yourself with a few extra bulls you don't plan on using. By using and trading left over bits and some green stuff putty you can make perfectly serviceable characters like butchers out of those bulls and save you the expense of those big metal characters. I've seen some really nice ones around the web.

Guy Fawkes
23-02-2009, 02:32
I'd like to add something.

Keep in mind that two Battalion boxes is probably the best way to go in the long run. The best thing about Ogres, in my mind, is that they are perfectly interchangeable. The sprues for Leadbelchers, for example, allow you to build them as perfectly useful Bulls, without having to convert anything (And I'd never use more than 4 Leadbelchers at 2k-ish).

If you buy two Battalion boxes, you are only in 150-ish dollars, so you can still add something in. You have 48 Gnoblars (about enough, you can make 8 of them Trappers if your group is cool and fun, just take 8 of them, deploy them as scouts and skirmishers, and play them as proxies - the other 40 Gnoblars can be two regular units of Fighters), 8 Ironguts (you can squeeze 10 Ironguts if you put a standard in both units), 4 Leadbelchers (2 units of 2, these guys are your small detachments, be very careful because tempting as it is to make a huge unit to blow the enemy away, the Cannons are so risky, it's best to keep units small), and an impressive 16 Bulls.

Assemble a couple Bulls as Bellowers or Standards. You can mix them in with other units, like Ironguts or Leadbelchers, and they'll fit right in. You have maximum flexibility, since with, say, 3 Standard Bearers, you can deploy them with any Ogre unit, and they'll look good, even though the Standard Bearer lacks a Great Weapon/whatever.

Braad
23-02-2009, 07:30
...you can make 8 of them Trappers if your group is cool and fun, just take 8 of them, deploy them as scouts and skirmishers, and play them as proxies - ...

Proxies? Just convert a bit to make them stand apart from the others, and you got the real thing. Not that difficult.

A bit of advise from me, even though I don't have much experience with ogres...
When you're not the kind of player that really, realy wants to win all the time, but more for the fun, I found that I enjoy it most to have a really varied army. So to start: 1 unit of everything.
Except maybe core, ofcourse... But what I'm trying to say, get some variety in what you can pick from. It really alters the flavour between one game and the other.

plowboy22
23-02-2009, 16:49
Thanks for all the advice! I am seriously looking at getting 2 battle boxes, codex and maybe a tyrant to start. That should be enough to get me going. It will be a little more than I originally was going to spend but I think I can squeeze a few more dollars in.

Keller
23-02-2009, 18:28
I, too, will reccomend 2 batallion boxes. You get a solid core of troops for a fair price. With conversion options, you can make your Tyrants and even Maneaters if you want to really get into it. Frankly, I like the Maneater models too much for that. I do suggest making some of the gnoblars into trappers - just pick appropriate weapons/gear and paint them differently.

If you really want to save some money, you can make your own Scrap-Launcher out of wood/plastic and load it up with the gnoblars from the battalion box as crew. The launcher is easy enough to make. You just have to order the Rhinox or make one for yourself.

I would also recommend buying a Butcher, then Bits Ordering 2 more bodies. The Butcher box comes with 3 heads and 3 weapon configurations for $35, and for about $15-20 more, you can get 2 more Butchers. Prices may have gone up since I did it though.

The Tyrant Box comes with 2 weapon options (great weapon or 2 hand weapons) so you could bitz order 1 more body to get a second tyrant/butcher at half the cost.

As far as setting up the units, I have my units constructed for the following, though sometimes I mix them up for new combinations. (Mine came from Army Box and 1 Battalion)
2 units of 3 bulls w/ Bellower and Champ armed w/ clubs
8 Iron Guts w/ 1 command
8 Bulls w/ Iron Fists and command
4 Lead Belchers
2x24 Gnoblars
8 Trappers
6 Yheties (2 of which are Reaper models)
2 Gorgers
2 Giants (I use Reaper Giants, not GW)
1 Hunter
1 Tyrant/Bruiser
3 Butchers
2 Maneaters - Empire w/ GW, Pirate w/ Brace of Handguns

Thanks to the Army Box and Battalion, I saved a fair bit of money over buying the units indivually, not to mention what I saved on the Butchers. I use the Reaper models when playing with friends, as they are quite a bit cheaper, and not units I would nessicarily want to use often. I've been meaning to make a Scrap-Launcher, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I've been playing them since they were released a few years ago (hence the army box)

snottlebocket
23-02-2009, 19:35
Thanks for all the advice! I am seriously looking at getting 2 battle boxes, codex and maybe a tyrant to start. That should be enough to get me going. It will be a little more than I originally was going to spend but I think I can squeeze a few more dollars in.

Consider converting your tyrant from a plastic bull and a lot of bits and bobs you'll have left over from your batallion boxes. That way you can spend the money spared on a metal gorger.

Gorgers are one of the best units in the army and since they're just a single model it's a decent investment. (and unlike the tyrant / bruiser it's a bit difficult to convert a decent gorger from plastics)

Coragus
23-02-2009, 19:58
I would get two of the battalion boxes. They are presently the box where you save the most money and IMO you can use multiple of all the stuff in the box. As lots of the parts are interchangeable you have many options.

This is Truth. It's about the best deal GW has in their entire system, except maybe for the amount of minis you get in the Skull Pass box.

Jericho
23-02-2009, 20:28
Definitely grab the Batallion boxes. They are great for Ogres.

For bulking out the army a bit in the longer term, I heartily recommend Maneaters. Fantastic models, easily the best in the OK range. Really damn solid in game too, taking units of 4 with 3x handguns and 1x great weapon is pretty damn powerful. If the enemy doesn't have anything that requires S7 attacks, then you can remove the GW guy as your first casualty.

The handguns are extremely effective, since you can move 6" and still fire about as effectively as a unit of handgunners. Great for thinning ranks, and OK need to whittle down static CR a bit before they get into combat. Scraplaunchers are good for this as well, but they are a bitch of a model. Expect it to break constantly.

Guy Fawkes
23-02-2009, 21:01
For bulking out the army a bit in the longer term, I heartily recommend Maneaters.

Yeah, Maneaters are fun, but they cost a fortune (Ogre-sized metal models always do) and are rare choices that are very expensive in money and points. Don't even think about them until you have 1250 points or more.

coalescence
23-02-2009, 21:04
If you give me money I can make ogre-ish sounds.

Halelel
23-02-2009, 21:20
Well, here's a little list to maybe help you out :

Definitely buy :
-Ogre Battalion Box (one of the best deals out there)
-Ogre Tyrant (impressive model that a converted ogre bull just doesnt compare to, imo)
-Ogre Butchers (every Ogre list needs at least 2-3 of these guys)
-Ogre Ironguts (try to find a way to convert or buy more of these guys, they are your best units)
-Gnoblar Trappers (so very very useful)
- Gorgers / Yhetees (personal choice, but I prefer Gorgers to the ugly Yhetee models)

Maybe buy :
-Skrag (allows more gorgers and a varied approach to a typical Ogre army list)
-Ogre Hunter (just not a useful option, but could be used for fun in friendly games if tired of mass butchers)
-Maneaters (can be fun to use, but I prefer Gorgers for my rare slots)

Don't buy :
- Greasus Goldtooth (have never used him and Skrag is a million times better SC)
- Ogre Leadbelchers (the max you want of these guys is 4 usually, 2 units of 2)
- Scraplauncher (decent unit, but the model is absolutely a huge pain in the you-know-what to put together)
- Slave Giant (just not worth it, in my opinion, it is a lot weaker than a normal giant)

Jericho
23-02-2009, 21:48
Yeah, Maneaters are fun, but they cost a fortune (Ogre-sized metal models always do) and are rare choices that are very expensive in money and points. Don't even think about them until you have 1250 points or more.
Yep, that's why it's a long term consideration :) In smaller games where you're hard pressed for points, you can go with something cheaper in your rare slot, if you take anything at all.

plowboy22
24-02-2009, 01:28
I don't know if this is legal to ask so forgive me if it isn't.

How many total points are a battle-box?

Keller
24-02-2009, 12:17
Don't buy :
- Slave Giant (just not worth it, in my opinion, it is a lot weaker than a normal giant)
I actually like taking the Slave Giant. Their main weaknesses are lack of Stubborn and their attacks require tests on characteristics other than I, which are usually easier to pass for large monsters.

However, taking Giant Breaker is handy on a Tyrant. I like to combine it with an AHW/Ironfist for six S6 attacks to carve up units. Or on a Hunter with a Sword of Battle and 2 Cats for 5 S6 and 6 S4 attacks; makes a nice flanking unit.

The giant itself is still quite useful, you just have to be careful with it. Support it with some Gnoblars if you like. Even at 175 points, he's cheaper than a good-sized unit of any Ogres

I don't know if this is legal to ask so forgive me if it isn't.

How many total points are a battle-box?
If you max out points on the unitswith equipment, a bit over 800. Could easily be more if you do converting, of course. Characters are easy to convert with extra bits & doo dads with a different paint scheme.

Oh, but not Hunters. They are on a 50mm base, not 40mm.

Still, the character models are pretty nice, so I wouldn't convert all of them. Especially since GW give you such a great deal on their OK chars. :eyebrows: