PDA

View Full Version : 2 quick questions about chaos

Captin Korea!
22-02-2009, 14:13
#1: Is there anywhere in the rules that state the in a unit is charged it cannot stand in shoot? I was told that if my flamers were charged at a certain range they would not be able to stand and shoot. I could not find any rules that says I cannot fire multiple shots when being charged.

#2: Mark of nurgle: It lowers the enemy's ws so they are at -1 to hit. Does that mean if your warrior of nurgle fought another warrior you would hit on 3's and he would hit on 5's?

Thanks

Loopstah
22-02-2009, 14:21
You can only stand and shoot at a unit more than half it's charge distance away. pg 19.

MoN is only -1 to hit the model with the mark so they keep their normal WS when you attack but it drops by 1 when they try to hit you, it's been changed in the FAQ.

Lorenzen
22-02-2009, 15:28
to make things clearer its -1 weapon skill not -1 to hit.

according to the new faq.. which totally rewrites the rule, unless you drop them to below half your weaponskill, or from higher to the same as yours.. the mark of nurgle is practically worthless now.

Kalec
22-02-2009, 23:26
To clarify what Lorenzen said, the mark of nurgle only works when the enemy is attacking you. It does not work when you are attacking the enemy, which is how we all thought it was supposed to work until the FAQ.

garythewargamer
22-02-2009, 23:35
good comment and telling the page. loopstah

Jericho
24-02-2009, 05:03
It's strange how they rewrite the entire paragraph, but only make the one little bit at the end in red text. I thought (to a minimum of 1) was the only text they were adding, but you're right they also added the clause that the -1WS is only activated when rolling to attack the Nurgle unit.

Nurgle is once again the crappiest mark, at least they had a few months of being worth the points cost.

Neckutter
24-02-2009, 09:50
nurgle only affects basically WS6 and WS3 now. lame, huh?

@ jericho and now everyone with their green armored pustulent warriors get to sit in their army transport and collect dust. :)

im sooooo glad i only painted 20 warriors with the mark of nurgle, and repainted my knights... :(

nosferatu1001
24-02-2009, 10:13
The -1 from shooting can help - at long range it halves the average number of shots that hit, keeping ogres alive slightly longer.

Still, not so great really. I would rather have Tzeentch any day.....

Jericho
24-02-2009, 18:48
Yeah the shooting bit still applies, but that doesn't make it worth the points :p

Makaber
24-02-2009, 20:02
Mark of Nurgle is still very good. There are many situations where it still makes an impact, such as WS3 attacking WS5, where reducing the "To Hit" roll from 4+ to 5+ effectivly makes the unit take 1/3 less damage. Or reducing the extremely common 5+ to hit with missile weapons to a 6+, effectivly halving (!) the casualties it takes from shooting. This is opposed to the (cheaper) Mark of Tzeench's flat 1/6th damage reduction.

And yes, I know those were favorable examples, and that the Mark of Nurgle sometimes won't have a noticeable effect. But as a good general, it's your job to provoke favorable situations, and get the unit where the WS difference, combined with the Mark, makes an impact.

Finally, I'd like to challenge the notion that "everybody" thought the Mark worked when the Marked model was hitting his opponent as well. The original paragraph was written in such a way that it gave solid foundation for two different interpretations, and supported each one equally well, making it very hard to see the other side of the argument. I had a huge debate with a friend over it, after which I checked what the internet said about it. The first reply in the Warseer thread on the subject went, "well for once the wording is perfectly clear", followed by pages of heated debate. So no, it didn't "totally rewrite the rule".

And it's not the "crappiest mark". It's not just as staggeringly superior anymore.

Neckutter
24-02-2009, 20:14
well it is crappy compared to its high point cost. how about that? :P

and it did totally rewrite the rule... since the FAQ totally rewrote the rule. it is an entirely different sentance now.

Makaber
24-02-2009, 20:18
Yeah, but the meaning is the same as it always was (or rather, the same as it always was intended to be). Also, I disagree with the high point cost. Compared to say, the Mark of Tzeench, I feel it's priced just about right.

EldarBishop
24-02-2009, 20:23
The other part of the answer to the OP 1st question lies in the rules for Multiple Shots (pg 55). It only applies in the shooting phase, that's why you can only take a single shot.

Neckutter
24-02-2009, 20:24
6+ ward save vs anything is a bit better math, for the points. chaos warriors dont haveta worry about arrows hitting them, because they are extremely tough. they haveta worry about cannons/rock lobbers and now the ubiquitous engine of the gods.

and yes, you can take multiple shots when you stand and shoot.

nosferatu1001
24-02-2009, 20:34
The other part of the answer to the OP 1st question lies in the rules for Multiple Shots (pg 55). It only applies in the shooting phase, that's why you can only take a single shot.

You missed the FAQ - it was always RAI that you could multiple shot, it is now RAW as well.

EldarBishop
24-02-2009, 20:36
*filed in the back of my mind* in case I ever decide to restart my Dark Elves up.

I don't do much shooting period right now... never mind extra shooting :D