PDA

View Full Version : All Cavalry Empire!!!

w3rm
22-02-2009, 15:43
Well yesterday my bro sold me about 1k empire + book for $20. He had a block of knights so I thought it was time for a themed force. Here's my list and then I'll discuss what I plan to do with it.

Warrior Priest- 145
Warhorse, Armour of Meteoric Iron, Sword of Justice

Captain- 122
Barded Warhorse, BSB, Warbanner, Full Plate

Captain- 160
Pegasus, Hammer of Judgment, Icon of Magnus, Full Plate, Shield

10x Knights- 300
FC, Banner of Valor

7x Knights- 221
FC, Steel Standard

7x Knights- 211
FC, Banner of Duty

5x Pistoliers- 114
Music, Outrider w/ Repeater Pistol

5x Pistoliers- 114
Music, Outrider w/ Repeater Pistol

5x Outriders- 113
Music

Total- 1500

BSB and WP go in the big block of Knights to be the hammer of the army. The units of 7 Knights will be there to support the hammer. Captain on the Pegasus will be used to hunt warmachines and the like. Pistoilers will do fast cav stuff and the Outriders will guard flanks. Tell me what you think and some other tactics might not hurt.

snottlebocket
22-02-2009, 15:52
The perfect item selection for a captain on pegasus is the casket and the enchanted shield. If he's going to fly around enemy lines you might as well steal some spells and the enchanted shield keeps his armoursave respectable, lacking a regular mount and barding. The icon of magnus makes no sense at all on a lone character, you want that item in big units of infantry to stop them from running away.

Your knight units have an odd number. 7 makes me think you want to run them in two ranks of four when joined by a character. Bad idea, four wide doesn't get you a rankbonus and you want to get as many knights in combat as possible due to their powerful charge. I wouldn't stick both the bsb and the warrior priest in one unit while leaving the other knights to fend for themselfs.

By giving the two characters their own units you can make one unit hit hard thanks to the priests hatred and the other unit hit hard because it has two banners. (regular and battle standard) Sticking both in one unit is overkill and makes it easier to avoid your hammer since all your strength is in one place.

Try running two units of 9 knights with a character each plus one small unit of 5 knights running up the flank. Any excess knights can be added to your main block's rear ranks to soak up casualties.

The sword you have on your knightly hero isn't too great either, strength 4 with rerolls won't do much better than the cheaper basic lance, especially against high armoursaves. Try to give your characters items that protect your units. For instance the icon of magnus in one of your units of knights will prevent them from automatically breaking and running away when you fight undead. (you won't be charging straight through them)

Similarly, the shroud of magnus will give your character a reasonable ward while helping to keep the unit safe from magic since you're not exactly blessed with a lot of dispell dice or scrolls.

captaincortez
23-02-2009, 21:17
I think that your hammer unit should be IC knights led by a Grand Master. Then take a BSB, Mounted Priest, and Pegasus Captain (Captasus). I prefer my Captasus armed with the doomfire ring. Without another caster (lv 2 probably), you won't draw enough dispel dice from your enemy to get off the Bound 3 doomfire ring. This is all to say that a mounted Lv 2 wizard would be a good alternative to a priest. I don't know-it seems like an all cav Empire army is hitty enough that you can downgrade (combatwise) from a priest to a wizard.

I'm also a fan of the General of the Empire but I realize that tournament players will scoff at that as he doesn't contribute 2 dispel dice like the Lector does.

You can have whatever you like......yeeeaaaah.

Jericho
23-02-2009, 21:44
Most pure-cav armies don't worry too much about magic because they can (hopefully!) engage the enemy fast enough to limit their exposure to magic. Obviously stuff like Great Eagles, Scouts, etc. can marchblock and cause trouble, but they can't stop everything. In larger games the Banner of Arcane Warding or something like that can help you weather the storm without taking too many mages. I find WP's to be overrated unless you can pump out some power dice as well. A handful of bound level 3 prayers aren't gonna get through often unless you have at least a L2 mage or the Popemobile.

I'm not sure what all those banners do in this edition of the rulebook (haven't played as Empire in ages) but I'd consider dropping one of the cheaper ones and putting Warbanner on a unit. That way the BSB can take some better protection, or even some weapons to help you win combat. Like Ogres, this list is almost purely going to win based on kills. 1A Knights need some serious help breaking large units, especially if they have characters.

Re: magic weapons, never overlook the lovely Sword of Might. Not the best item out there, but for the (usually very low) cost it's great to have S5 all the time. I have it in most army lists that I build, regardless of race. Unless there's something a lot better for the same points, I say keep it simple.

snottlebocket
24-02-2009, 20:47
I think that your hammer unit should be IC knights led by a Grand Master. Then take a BSB, Mounted Priest, and Pegasus Captain (Captasus). I prefer my Captasus armed with the doomfire ring. Without another caster (lv 2 probably), you won't draw enough dispel dice from your enemy to get off the Bound 3 doomfire ring. This is all to say that a mounted Lv 2 wizard would be a good alternative to a priest. I don't know-it seems like an all cav Empire army is hitty enough that you can downgrade (combatwise) from a priest to a wizard.

I'm also a fan of the General of the Empire but I realize that tournament players will scoff at that as he doesn't contribute 2 dispel dice like the Lector does.

You can have whatever you like......yeeeaaaah.

Cavalry armies are the ones that need priests the most. They don't have much static combat res and rely entirely on their charge impact. The hatred they get from the warrior priests helps them maximize that impact.

A wizard just gives them a squishy character that takes up a front rank slot (ie one slot in the front rank that won't hit hard at all during the charge). Not to mention that the cav units are heading for combat as fast as possible, exactly where you don't want your wizard.

w3rm
24-02-2009, 21:29
I've been Looking at some stuff and I have decided not to all cavalry as I may be starting Nids soon.

Jericho
24-02-2009, 21:41
Cavalry armies are the ones that need priests the most. They don't have much static combat res and rely entirely on their charge impact. The hatred they get from the warrior priests helps them maximize that impact.

A wizard just gives them a squishy character that takes up a front rank slot (ie one slot in the front rank that won't hit hard at all during the charge). Not to mention that the cav units are heading for combat as fast as possible, exactly where you don't want your wizard.Good point, both are pretty "meh" in combat but I was considering the spellcasting and not the free Hatred. That probably will get you 1-3 extra lance hits on the charge depending on frontages and characters and all that garbage. A couple extra horsey hits too, and we all know that horses have way better kill records than they deserve. A couple extra kills is make or break with a pure-cav setup, so I can't argue with Priests really.

Hunter Rose
25-02-2009, 19:13
I'm currently working on an all mounted Knights of Morr army. I was going to include a griffin mounted lord (converted to look like a raven). As far as fluff goes, I think it'll work out nice. But do you think it'll perform?

snottlebocket
25-02-2009, 20:06
I'm currently working on an all mounted Knights of Morr army. I was going to include a griffin mounted lord (converted to look like a raven). As far as fluff goes, I think it'll work out nice. But do you think it'll perform?

Depends on what you expect it to do. A human elector count riding a griffon is only marginally more dangerous than a captain on a pegasus.

It's a terror causing flank breaker sure. But you'll have to decide if that weighs up to putting your general and highest leadership, a fragile character at best, on a large target missile magnet.

On top of that if you can't manage a flank charge and decide to do a combined charge with some knights, you'll probably shove several knights out of combat with the space you're hogging with that griffon. Kind of wastes the potential of your knight unit.

decker_cky
26-02-2009, 07:23
You'd go corner to corner...so at max it would reduce the number of knights in combat by 1.