PDA

View Full Version : High Elf Torniment army with NO boltthrowers/dragons/dragon princes!

wamphyri101
22-02-2009, 16:14
Arch Mage: (225)
Vortex Shard (75) Dispel Scroll (20): 320pts

Noble: (85)
Dragon Armour (6) Enchanted shield (10) Starlance (40)
Great Eagle (50): 191pts

Battle Standard: (110)
Dragon Armour (6) Shield (2) Sword of Might (15) Barded Elven Steed (16) 149pts

Total Characters: 660pts

20 Spearmen: Full command (25): 205pts

19 Spearmen: Full command (25): 196pts

Total Core: 401pts

7 Sword masters of Hoeth (105)
Blade Lord (12) :117pts

7 Sword masters of Hoeth (105)
Blade Lord (12) :117pts

18 White Lions of Chrace (285)
Full command (30) Banner of the Lion (25): 340pts
Talisman of light (15)

Lion Chariot: 140pts

5 Ellyrian Reavers: 85pts

Total Special: 939pts

Total: 2000pts

So the plan is that the noble battle standard bearer and Arch mage go into the white lions with the spearmen flanking them. Plan for them is to just head towards the enemy.

The lion chariots either hang back for counter charges or run down a flank together.

The sword masters are to ether act as a detachment for the spearmen or basically chop down as many troops as they can before they are taken down (suicide sword masters!)

The noble on Eagle is to take down knights/chariots with his strength 7 attacks. Also good against war machines

Reavers are to counter fast attack or even bug war machines

I wanted to try something without Dragons/mass bolt throwers that can hold its own against most armys

Ultimo ninja
22-02-2009, 17:35
The sword masters as detachments...hmmm...why not make a block of 15 out of them for a stronger center of 4 units?
Lion chariots are good but slow and pricey...why not use cheaper tiranoc chariots and use the points for shadow warrios to give you some shooting? maybe even a few eagles to help out your eagle noble?

wamphyri101
22-02-2009, 18:00
Thanks for the reply,

Reason 2 units of 7 is because 1 unit of 15 is a large target for shooting etc. Split into 2 units means I get lots of attacks on charge/defense but also they need to split there shooting to take them down (which also means they arnt shooting the rest of my army

The reason I take 2 lion chariots is people i play against seem to throw alot at them to take them down. (also it took alot of time to make them look good and i only have 1 normal chariot lol)

2 of them together is a big threat for horde armys

I do have shadow warriors i want to use but still playing with the list

isidril93
22-02-2009, 18:02
a block of 14 swordmasters with full command woud be better imo

Champion89
22-02-2009, 19:08
a block of 14 swordmasters with full command woud be better imo

Agreed, 7 in a single unit means when you lose two they panic and they will lose two, elves are squishy.

wamphyri101
22-02-2009, 20:07
Vortex Shard (75) Dispel Scroll (20): 320pts

Armour of Calador (25) Great weapon (8) 143pts

Total Characters: 654pts

20 Spearmen: Full command (25): 205pts

19 Spearmen: Full command (25): 196pts

Total Core: 401pts

14 Sword masters of Hoeth (210)
full command (30): 240pts

18 White Lions of Chrace (285)
Full command (30) Banner of the Lion (25): 340pts
Talisman of light (15)

Total Special: 945pts

hooventut
26-02-2009, 18:25
Hey now,

i like your style, but i got comments

your foot troop synergy is awesome. think about backing up your mage with a lvl 2? just a thought

maybe throw in a unit of 10-12 archers? its a good idea man, i know you dont like shooting but for 110 pts they can serve to hold a table quarter and bring small units to panic tests, thats the key to beating hordes and skaven...shooting and magic phase, otherwise your troops will have to do all of the work for you, and frankly...they wont be able to keep up as your opponent shoots/magics you...

hope it helps man, cool list for sure tho

wamphyri101
26-02-2009, 18:48
cheers for the comment hooventut,

Played against a chaos slaanesh closecombat army last night

Game went pretty well. My chariots + eagle noble ran through his right flank. My Spearmen + white lions got stuck in the middle (3 turns of combat for the lions against 2 chariots and a block of marauders) and his chaos knights ran through my right flank

all ended up with a mass combat in the middle. Game ended with only my battle standard bearer and 2 spearmen and 2 white lions on the board and his whole army dead. So points wise ended with a solid victory but was a bloody battle

Thinking of bumping 1 spearman unit to 21 and giving warbanner. Ditching the second unit for 12 archers. Then going to mess with some other bits to maybe get a lvl 2 mage in also and the banner of soccery

will play with points tonight and post something new tomorrow

djkest
27-02-2009, 06:38
Can you really take 2 core and 6 special choices in a 2000 point army?

Champion89
27-02-2009, 07:26
Can you really take 2 core and 6 special choices in a 2000 point army?

That is the beauty of High Elves. :D

WhiteKnight
27-02-2009, 14:36
Alright, I was shocked when I heard that there were non RBTs, Dragons, or dragon princes.

The list is great for infantry only. I would say drop the noble on great eagle. Itll be dead pretty quick unless in cover. I would replace the noble with a level 2 for 8 power dice.

sroblin
27-02-2009, 14:51
Yes, I do appreciate the style of this list. And consolidating the swordmasters was a good idea. Not only were they easy to panic, but every casualty would have subtracted from their number of attacks.

I think I agree with White Knight that the Great Eagle isn't best if you intend to knighthunting; the eagle's mobility is only an advantage if you're flying over things to hit or snipe at soft target in the rear. Enemy knights, on the other hand, will come straight at you. The noble is better protected on a steed, can still outcharge most knights and take the starlance, and can be nested within an infantry or cavalry unit for additional protection. I don't know that he would necessarily fare very well on his own either way- even with the lance, he will still kill only 1.66 enemy knights on average. Not bad, but not enough to break them single handedly usually. If he can pass the breaktest, he could at least tie them down for a turn to be charged by reinforcements, I suppose.

I think throwing in a magic banner or two would be a good upgrade for the list; adding a level 2 would also make the magic a lot more formidable, although you may then wish to retool away from the defensive setup on the archmage.

Champion89
27-02-2009, 16:48
I like the Noble on Eagle idea. Yeah he is kind of out in the open by himself that just means you need to play smart and keep him out of LOS.

wamphyri101
27-02-2009, 20:18
Ok so after different advice I have gone with the extra mage and took the banner of soccery to boost power dice, but thinking of maybe not taking it as its 50 pts and dont just want to be another magic reliant army. Also made the made more offensive with the ring of fury. Decided would have better luck just casting drain magic.

swapped the second unit of spearmen for 10 archers, just for taking out fast cav/hounds with the reavers.

kept the noble on eagle as he is mainly to take chariots/warmachines and aid against knights. In the last game he killed 2 chariots and 7 knights of chaos before he was finally taken down. I just need to make sure i keep him hidden and use him when right

sadly had to chop the white lions down a bit

thinking of maybe either ditching the reavers for more white lions or swapping them for either a single normal chariot or shadow warriors

Ring of fury (40) staff of solidity (20): 285pts

Mage: (100)
Lvl 2 (35) : 135pts

Armour of Calador (25) Great weapon (8) 143pts

Total Characters: 754pts

10 Archers: 110pts

19 Spearmen: Full command (25) Warbanner (20): 216pts

Total Core: 326pts

14 Sword masters of Hoeth (210)
full command (30) Banner of Soccery (50): 290pts

14 White Lions of Chrace (285)
Full command (30) Banner of the Lion (25): 265pts

Total Special: 920pts

Desert Rain
28-02-2009, 10:08
It looks like a good solid list. If you are able to find the points somewhere you might want to consider adding a Guardian Phoenix to your Archmage to protect him. Otherwise he's quite squishy.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
28-02-2009, 16:04
i like the most recent list best. Whats with the noble on bird? I have never used one how effective are they?
Good luck :)

wamphyri101
28-02-2009, 20:16
noble on the bird has 3 x str 7 attacks on the charge (also no save the enermy)

Also has a 2+ save vs shooting. His job is to fly around and hide most of the time until he can fly in a kill chariots, small units of fast cav (as the eagle have 2 str 4 attacks also) aid against knights, taking out solo cocky mages etc.

Since my main fear as a high elf in recent games are chariots and warmachines he does a very good job at taking them out aslong as i can play smart and keep him alive

Will mess with the points options to see if i can get that guardian pheonix on the archmage

WhiteKnight
28-02-2009, 22:47
Um...you have a 3+ against shooting...no shield. Well if you wound the chariots that come at you, its an auto kill because its S7 on the charge right?

wamphyri101
01-03-2009, 10:49
dragon armour = 5+
great eagle = 4+
enchanted shield = 2+ (you get a 2 bonus for it not 1)

yeah only takes 1 str 7 wound to kill any chariot

Thoughtless
01-03-2009, 11:24
dragon armour = 5+
great eagle = 4+
enchanted shield = 2+ (you get a 2 bonus for it not 1)

yeah only takes 1 str 7 wound to kill any chariot

The eagle is a monster mount, and does not confer a +1 armour save bonus.;)

wamphyri101
01-03-2009, 12:22
ah didnt realise that. Maybe it would be better to have him just running around on a elven steed then (without barding should give him an 18'' charge i think) also means his mount cannot be targeted.

D.E.E. Tom
01-03-2009, 12:44
The thing about this noble is that I don't like the star lance, Ok he has 3 S7 attacks on the charge, but on a mount you can't get behind your enemies in a fashion you would really like and on the eagle the mount is just to vulnerable. If the eagle is killed the lance is lost as well. If you want to do something like this take a prince on a griffon.

hooventut
03-03-2009, 05:29
Hey great swap up on your list, looks good

by the way, run your character how u like. great eagle is awesome for the points and the mobility offered greatly trounces the armor problems. let your enemy shoot your character, even if they do thats saving one more spearmen/foot troop shooting that could be panicking or affecting your army.

i run an eagle in my army, they great for march blockin and takin out enemy rbt

rock on

Dragon Prince of Caledor
03-03-2009, 11:37
I wish i could fly on a giant eagle. Imagine all the possibilities! :D I might try the bird combo some time soon and see how the noble fares.

wamphyri101
04-03-2009, 20:16
well played 2 games now. Both against different chaos mortal players and the first was a minor win to me but the one tonight was a massacare to me.

will pop a battle report up tomorrow but even through i had really bad dice rolls (11 spearmen attacking 2 hounds and i roll 8 1's and 2 3's + first spell a tripple 1...thank god for the staff!) it was good. Still not sure about the reavers.

Thinking about ditching them and making my mage lvl 4 and taking a single eagle to support my noble on eagle if needed or just to bug the enermy

Gramolarian
05-03-2009, 09:56
I´d say go with two units of 7 swordmasters or if you have slots go with 3 unis of 6. They doesn´t need ranks. They either kill or get killed. One big unit of white lions are great boosted with 2 lion chariots ofcourse. besides unit of 24 or more white lions looks AWESOME.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
05-03-2009, 15:32
Units of seven are too vulnerable to any kind of missile. You laugh at them and they panic. As for the bird was he any good? And in your defence you were playing against chaos :D

dijit80
05-03-2009, 15:34
I'd put your noble on foot with some kit, and add a couple of standard eagles, they can deal with small units together, warmachines, etc, and can march block, and can divert charges, and can well be generally very irritating. Like you I love my birds, but I'm not always convinced they're great for characters. Unless you're going for lots of 'fighty' characters and have one spare to play with. One thingI've always wanted to try is a flying circus, with a noble on a bird and fill out the rae choices with birds, tat would be fun to play, though I reckon not all that effective.

wamphyri101
05-03-2009, 17:20
Sticking with the bird on noble atm as in both games he has earned his points. 1st he took down a chariot, 6 knights and 5 warriors.

Second he took down a chariot, 6 warriors, 4 marauders on steeds and 5 hounds

Have tried 2 units of 7 before and people are right. With leadership 8 (unless near characters) they still break far to often. In 1 game i played against skaven they took a wound and then broke, fleeing through my spearmen, who followed them, and then through my chariot, who legged it also. All just as they got into charge range.

Though its bad luck it still is something i try to avoid

Voss
06-03-2009, 13:25
I'm not sold on the Reavers or the Battle Standard. I'm not terribly convinced they add much to the army. Maybe swap them out for an eagle for cheap marchblocking and misdirection, and either your combat units back up or add another.

Good job, though, for recognizing where the high elves really shine.

wamphyri101
06-03-2009, 16:16
Yup probably removing the Reavers as they haven’t done much in the last 2 games and now I have the archers they seem a bit useless. I have shadow warriors but again i just don’t feel they are worth 16pts for only bs 4 and 1 str3 combat attack.

So probably defiantly take a loose eagle just to support/bug stuff (have worked wonders against flesh hounds before)

So leaves me with 35 points to play with. Not sure if I should use it to make the mage a level 4 or maybe buy a dispel scroll for my level 2 and give the white lions the talisman of light back.

As for the battle standard, he’s mainly there for extra combat punch (and the lovely reroll). If anyone has any suggestions to make him better/more useful I would be happy to hear them. I could always mount him and give him the battle banner, but I see that in too many armies nowadays