PDA

View Full Version : 2250 bretonnias

garythewargamer
22-02-2009, 22:59
Here is my list for everyone to take a crack it. I thank you for all you comments, suggestion and all negative comments are welcome. I am still in the process of purchasing and putting together this army.

Bretonnia Knights 2250

8 Grail knights full command 606
banner of defense
Lord Abraham grail vow, warhorse, shield, virtue of purity, sword of Heroes and armour of agilulf.

8 Knights of the Realm full command banner of chalone 332
Paladin warhorse shield lance virtue of Heroism and gaunlet of duel

8 Knights of the Realm full command 412
Paladin BSB Banner of the lady virtue of knightly temper lance shield and warhorse

8 knights of the Realm full command 332
Paladin warhorse shield wymrlance and virtue of noble disdain

8 Errant Knights full command 315
Damsel dispell dispell barded warhorse

3 P knights with no upgrades 165

5 yeoman upgrade shield with musician

kdh88
23-02-2009, 03:56
Here is my list for everyone to take a crack it. I thank you for all you comments, suggestion and all negative comments are welcome. I am still in the process of purchasing and putting together this army.

Bretonnia Knights 2250

8 Grail knights full command 606
banner of defense
Lord Abraham grail vow, warhorse, shield, virtue of purity, sword of Heroes and armour of agilulf.

Kind of a point sink, but it should hit like a truck. Not sure I like the Lord setup though; virtue of purity and the grail vow are kind of redundant, and the sword of heroes is a bit pricey for what it does.

8 Knights of the Realm full command banner of chalone 332
Paladin warhorse shield lance virtue of Heroism and gaunlet of duel

Since he has the gauntlet, I'd recommend the virtue of confidence instead.

8 Knights of the Realm full command 412
Paladin BSB Banner of the lady virtue of knightly temper lance shield and warhorse

The BSB can't take a lance or shield. Given that, you may also want to rethink the virtue, since he won't be much good in comabt.

8 knights of the Realm full command 332
Paladin warhorse shield wymrlance and virtue of noble disdain

Not sure I really like this paladin setup either, unless you face a lot of gunlines, and I don't really think the wyrmlance is worthwhile against anything without regeneration.

8 Errant Knights full command 315
Damsel dispell dispell barded warhorse

Pretty standard damsel set up, although I'm not sure if I like the placement. I think you'd be better off adding another Errant and displacing a grail knight instead. That unit will attract a lot of magic, so you'll want the Damsel's MR, and you'd net an extra 18 points at no real loss (since you'd be displacing a model in the middle of the second rank that wouldn't have been attacking anything anyways). Between that the BSB equipment, you could also give these guys an errantry banner.

3 P knights with no upgrades 165

5 yeoman upgrade shield with musician

No real comment on these.

Overall, your list relies entirely on the charge. Against people that can hold or avoid it, you'll be in trouble. That's neither unusual or noteworthy for a Bret list, but I thought I'd say it anyway. If you can find the points, the skirmishing bowman unit is always is nice buy.

Do you know anything about what kind of armies you're likely to face? If you know your regular opponent always takes a 2-dragon HE list than stuff like the virtue of heroism might be more worthwhile.

garythewargamer
23-02-2009, 11:32
I am making a list that can play against anyone. I do not expect to win every game or tournment. I want to make a list that is at least competative to all comers. I have played some daemons and when I killed the bloodthirster I was successful. When I did not I lost and I lost horribly.

Hopefully against units that can hold I will be able to hit them with two units. The fleeing units I hope I will be able to get the flyers behind them.

Would you really put the damsel in with the Grail knights? That was to be my heavy hitters.

My idea with the Lord was to get him a +5 ward save but I will think on the confidence. Those extra five points can easliy come from taking the musician off of the yeomen.

My first palidin has the gaunlet and no magic weapon therefore the virtue of heroism.

BSB I am still confused. "He may carry any magic banner no points limit but if he does he may not take any other magic items, though he may still take a Virtue of up to 50 points in addition to the magic banner." Yes looking at it again knightly temper makes no sense therefore go to virtue of impetuous knight. The five points saved their would take care of the change above.
"He may not be given any extra equipment, except for a barded warhorse or a Royal Pegasus." Does this mean that he is unarmed? Maybe I need to post this as a question.

I like the wyrmlance. If you miss a charge you use the breath weapon. Granted it is not very strong but it gives you something when you miss judge a charge range. Which happens sometimes for me at least. It also probably makes me a little more reckless with this unit on the charges.

I would really like to come up with the points for another flyer and some archers But I see no way unless I drop a unit of knights and I really do not want to do that. But one should always remain flexible.

I thank you for your input and I look forward to more.

Dungeon_Lawyer
23-02-2009, 21:18
It doesnt seem flexible enough. No bowmen with defensive stakes? skirmish bowmen? No Treb? Your list as currently designed has too many units designed to do the same thing....charge. Im not a big fan of impetutuous(sic) knights.
Its good to have a plan/theme for the army, but charging is not always the best thing for Brets against certain armies. Lizardmen saurus with spears armies will chew you up. VC lists will zombie tarpit you. Its not a take all comers list yet.

Garviel
25-02-2009, 13:09
The BSB is armed with a hand weapon only if you give him a magic banner.
This means now shield and a best possible armour save of 3+

No banner and other equipment is possible.
I have a standard BSB build which is:

On BBW
Grail Vow
Banner of the Lady
Virtue of Discipline - 210pts

Which is costly but:

i) Banner means no ranks for any enemies in Base2base contact
ii) Virtue means no outnumber - with the fear caveat still in place
iii) Grail vow - means fear is ignorable due to immunity to psych

I have used a BSB with the build to destroy a 35 strong unit of night goblins on his own ( I charged)- they needed 5s to hit and 6s to wound, scored none. I needed 3s and 2s and scored 3 wounds. In Combat res I had +3 for my 3 wounds, as the goblins had no wounds, no ranks and no outnumber I won by 3.

They failed as they needed double ones (L5) (they were about 14" from General) rolled 7 and fled, I pursued and trampled them.

Obviously I wouldnt place him on his own against something decent in combat like DE etc and any large undead unit

I normally place him in the front rank of a lance of at least 8 grail knights (in 2250 or larger army). This gives you his 3 attacks at ws5 s4, the GKs 12 ws5 s6 attacks and your 7 horses ws3 s3. In most cases you should be able to out wound most core units in the game.

Hope this makes sense (first post)

garythewargamer
25-02-2009, 13:14
thanks everyone