PDA

View Full Version : Which current Tau models will be useless with New release?

pestario
07-12-2005, 14:39
I was looking at putting together a Tau Amry as I've been out of 40k for awhile. With the upcoming Tau Release which models will be completley useless and which are just going to be new sculpts?

Imbroglio
07-12-2005, 14:47
Almost certainly nothing - sure some exisiting models will be replaced upgraded, but that doesn't mean you can't use the old models to represent the different units - it's been happening since the dawn of time. Well GW anyway.

-- Imbroglio

Oxford
07-12-2005, 14:56
This should probably have gone in the general discussion forum.

I don't think any of the current range are going to be rendered obsolete. Some of them are just going to get new sculpts. I doubt there are any options that are being removed from the codex (there are so few to begin with). Stealth suits are probably undergoing the most drastic change but the old models will still be usable for those who prefer them.

Unless there is a model that you really want to get before it is taken off the shelves (an ethereal comes to mind ;) ) I'd recommend waiting until the new releases in February and deciding what you want once you have had a good long look at the new codex.

There are two models I would most definitely hold off on - Crisis suits and Broadsides. The old models for these have dodgy ankles that snap at inopportune moments, like in the middle of a tournament :rolleyes:.

edit: Imbroglio beat me to it. :D

pestario
07-12-2005, 15:01
I agree about being able to use old models, but for example will some of the current line be holding the wrong type of Weapon. More concerned with the WYSIWYG thing causing problems with the old line.

erion
07-12-2005, 15:14
Not Really.

For example, Stealth suits are the only existing model getting a complete resculpt, and they'll still be armed with burst cannons as their primary weapon with an optional fusion blaster upgrade.

Fire warriors, Kroot, Pathfinders and standard crisis suits are not being changed in terms of what their sprues/models contain. there are some wargear upgrades coming for Crisis Commanders, but they're likely going to be on a separate sprue.

Some of the vehicle options are being changed/expanded, but they're likely nothing that will adversely effect any of the models you might have now. I know that they're limiting the number of seeker missiles/tank to 2 instead of four, but off the top of my head there's nothing on current models that won't still be fully usable.

KingNova3000
07-12-2005, 15:14
I wouldn't imagine so, as the codex re-write isn't that extensive. For WYSIWYG you will have new options but none of the older weapon options will become useless. So you should have no problem with starting a Tau army now.

Oxford
07-12-2005, 15:18
I agree about being able to use old models, but for example will some of the current line be holding the wrong type of Weapon. More concerned with the WYSIWYG thing causing problems with the old line.
This is what I was referring to when I mentioned not losing any options. All the rumours suggest that there is going to be a significant expansion of the available troops types and wargear list.:cool:

The only situation I could see where you need to swap weapons is if you were to buy Crisis suits and decided that there were better weapons configurations available under the new codex.

pestario
07-12-2005, 15:31
Sweet thanks for the help, Ive seen some pics of the new Crisis suits and those I will prolly upgrade for sure even if I have a few now.

Lurien
07-12-2005, 19:51
I think I like the current Stealth suits over the new ones but I will reserve the right to be wrong when I actually hold one.

Oxford
07-12-2005, 20:35
I reserve the right to buy 6 of the XV25s to go with the 12 XV15s I already own. I seem to be the person GW had in mind when they came up with their marketing strategy :eek: :D .