PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of heaven

Agnostos
02-05-2005, 14:58
ok, games workshop got a contract to make the lord of the rings right? and as i think its a huge sucess.
so why dont they try somthing similar for like kingdom of heaven or the gladiatror or somthing.

it could just be a stand alone supplement to warhammer with a few figures and characters from the film!
it could maybe be a stand alone boxset or somthing. wouldnt that be great!?

so how come GW dont do that? it wouldnt be a sucsess?
well thats my rant... but what film would you like to see done by GW?

Ohman
02-05-2005, 16:39
They already did that, it's called warhammer ancients. Gladiator and similar films just aren't popular enough to justify their own game. But with WAB you can re-create any battle from either movie.

The only other movie I would really like to see a game for is Star Wars. Doesn't have to be GW, anyone who can support the game with decent miniatures are more than welcome to give it a try.

jazzdude78
02-05-2005, 21:15
Personally I find the miniatures from WotC for Star Wars plenty nice the only problem is the random packaging system theyve employed for it but the figures are pretty good and normally very well painted for prepainted stuffs

as for licenses they just arent quite GWs thing (at least not anymore)
and while movie tieins arent that bad you can get the action/gameplay from a film in game already
like for gladiator I swear there was a pit fighting ruleset for mordheim or something

Imbroglio
03-05-2005, 08:49
It should be remembered that, at it's very core, Warhammer is LotR. This is the biggest reason they sought the movie license from New Line in my opinion, because LotR is Games Workshop.

Other films just wouldn't fit that criteria. GW would cease to be a 'Warhammer' based company if it did make games for other movies - they would simply be a run of the mill company like Hasbro.

-- Imbroglio

Cypher
03-05-2005, 09:01
Anyone remember that rumour that surfaced out of Greece that GW would be doing a Matrix-based game system. Id be curious to know if that were ever true: even if it was GW would have walked away after the atrocities of Revolutions.

Jedi152
03-05-2005, 09:13
ok, games workshop got a contract to make the lord of the rings right? and as i think its a huge sucess.
so why dont they try somthing similar for like kingdom of heaven or the gladiatror or somthing.

Just take a look at Wargames Foundry (http://www.wargamesfoundry.com).

Thay make all the historical miniatures you could ever need. The warhammer historical rules have lists for crusading armies etc.

Anyone remember that rumour that surfaced out of Greece that GW would be doing a Matrix-based game system. Id be curious to know if that were ever true: even if it was GW would have walked away after the atrocities of Revolutions.
You mean thay haven't already? Those penitent engines couldn't look more like the crappy matrix-robot-suit-things if they tried! :p

xowainx
03-05-2005, 09:37
It would make more sense to do it as a supplement for Warhammer:Ancient Battles.

Shadowheart
03-05-2005, 18:10
I wouldn't say Warhammer is primarily based on Tolkien's world and its many clones, I think it owes more to old fashioned swords & sorcery (particularly Moorcock of course) and a fair deal to gothic horror and real-world history. And that's just Warhammer Fantasy too. GW has a lot of strong and obvious influences and they could take on plenty of other licenses without straying further from Warhammer than they did with LotR.

I'm not sure I'd like GW to do any further licenses, I'm not even sure I'm glad they did LotR. On the plus side, they have some of the best miniature sculptors and their stuff can be bought in just about any gaming store. But as soon as they stop transferring the movies to miniature form things go downhill. I think GW should stick to what they do best, that being Warhammer in its many variations.

I'd like to see another company do a proper Star Wars miniature range (meaning no pre-painted junk or prequel-based things), especially Empire forces would be a blast to paint. I'm thinking more of miniatures for the sake of collecting, painting and display here, since I don't see much base for a wargame based on the movies. You'd basically have the battle of Hoth and the rather silly affair on Endor and that'd be it. The coolest battles are the ones with starfighters or lightsabers, and that wouldn't work too well with miniatures.

Whether miniatures have a future as a form of merchandising (next to action figures, prop replicas, statues, computer games, CCGs and so on) is doubtful, but Star Wars is big enough for it to be profitable. I'd love to see miniatures for all my favourite movies and tv shows but I couldn't say if the demand is there to make it work.

Oh and of course there ought to be miniatures for the Elric movies if they get off the ground. That could be awesome stuff, and hopefully a strong boost for one of GW's rival companies.

Cypher
04-05-2005, 05:12
I'd like to see another company do a proper Star Wars miniature range (meaning no pre-painted junk or prequel-based things), especially Empire forces would be a blast to paint. I'm thinking more of miniatures for the sake of collecting, painting and display here, since I don't see much base for a wargame based on the movies. You'd basically have the battle of Hoth and the rather silly affair on Endor and that'd be it. The coolest battles are the ones with starfighters or lightsabers, and that wouldn't work too well with miniatures.

While I agree that would be cool, a Clone Wars game would also been very nice indeed. The cartoon just made me want to see all that stuff realised.

piotrov
04-05-2005, 06:01
I'm thinking more of miniatures for the sake of collecting, painting and display here, since I don't see much base for a wargame based on the movies. You'd basically have the battle of Hoth and the rather silly affair on Endor and that'd be it. The coolest battles are the ones with starfighters or lightsabers, and that wouldn't work too well with miniatures.

I don't think it would take much for someone to make a Star Wars adaption/expansion for Inquisitor, or for that matter, Battlefleet Gothic. Infact, I'm surprised that I've never seen a SW-themed Inquisitor band, considering all of the "Imperial" 40K armies out there....

And yeah, a Clone Wars game would have the potential for much coolness.

Shadowheart
04-05-2005, 06:43
While I'm sure people could come up with rules for saberfighting and space combat, I can't see a way to capture such scenes with miniatures. I mean, your standard miniature wargame looks more or less like a battle being fought on a larger scale, but individual duels only ever look like two figures standing next to one another. Likewise I can't see a way to represent Star Wars space combat on the tabletop, Battlefleet Gothic works in that regard because in 40K's anachronistic way it's pretty much naval warfare in space.
So while I'm sure you could get a working game based on either type of battle, I wouldn't see the point in playing one with minis. And the type of battle that does lend itself well to such games isn't such a big part of Star Wars.

As for Clone Wars, well, I just don't see how people manage to find any of the episode II/III stuff even remotely cool, or how it can be concidered part of Star Wars. Maybe it's a sign that I'm already getting old.

Brandir
04-05-2005, 21:17
There have been a number of attempts in the past to launch a Star Wars based wargame. They were all very minor, but I do remember some mighty fine minis. West End Games I believe had that licence until WOTC essentially bought them out.

There is a strong rumour that GW are actively attempting to secure another major licence that is also be tied in with a big budget film. However, this may just be for Black Industries' next RPG ..........

Reference LOTR, well the game has brought many new players into The Hobby and has made GW oodles of cash. Unfortunately many City-types believed the hyoe and bought shares, causing the share price to go up to unsustainable levels. GW have never pretended anything other than that LOTR was a bubble that would burst. Guess these high paid City-types were just too busy to read Mr Kirby's statement on the LOTR sales, back in 2002!

twisted_mentat
05-05-2005, 00:16
Fantasy is basicly what happends when people are as much a history geek as a fantay geek....so you get aspects of both....

I've said a SW game would be an excellent licence for GW, and it could be a licence that could go on MUCH longer than LOTR. SW has Classic Triology, the new ones, Expanded universe goes on forever...

I really Want to play a SW minatures game....but i HATE heroclix.....and people say 40k is dumbed down....

Hrm...a Book for the Crusades in FB would be pretty cool....well, it depends on how popular Kingdom of Heaven is...i mean, it could be a stinker like Alexander...even if the reviews have been fairly positive so far...

You know, GW could acutally has a division that does nothing BUT make licenced games...if anyhting, it could be a decent cash cow...

Moooo *cha-ching!*

Brandir
05-05-2005, 07:37
I think that the LOTR SBG rules engine could easily be adapted for other hero based games, such as a Star Wars or Classical Greek setting.

twisted_mentat
06-05-2005, 06:18
The other hero based game i though gw should do is...DUNE!

Griefbringer
19-05-2005, 11:16
There is not a particular lot of point in getting a lisence to make a wargame based on a historical movie - since it is part of history, you can perfectly well make one without any licence.

The only benefit you would get from the licence would be to use picture material from the movie, the name of the movie, and represent fictious characters from the movie.

Tastyfish
23-05-2005, 03:08
Matrix rumours were a confused bit in relation to an article about Inquisitor for including bits from other films in, including bullet time I think

Rykion
23-05-2005, 18:50
I really Want to play a SW minatures game....but i HATE heroclix.....and people say 40k is dumbed down....

Star Wars miniatures are pre-painted and randomly packaged, but have no relationship to heroclix. They are not made by the same company and have very different rules. SW miniatures don't have click bases. What you are saying makes no more sense than saying "I want to play a 40k game but I hate Void."

I do agree that I would like to see a Star Wars miniature game without the pre-painted and random miniatures. It is unlikely as the current product brings in a lot of $$$. Hasbro has the Star Wars toy license and owns Wizards of the Coast. It is unlikely that any other company would be able to get the license as long as that relationship lasts.

thanquol
06-06-2005, 12:24
They should create models for The Wheel of Time!