PDA

View Full Version : [wanted] List making advice - "balanced" list (long post)

dsw1
23-02-2009, 11:20
Hay, so on wednesday I am having a game against one of my old gaming partners and we decided that we will be having a "balanced" game. This entails these few rules of whyich I have to model my army around;

1) no more than 6 levels of magic. 2 bound items power level 4+ count as a magic level also.

This rule is basically to stop us doing what we normally do (or did) which was 1 level 4 and 3 level 2s (or 2 in my case with the 2nd gen).

2) a minimum of 2 block units MUST be included in the army. Also, no more than 30 handgunners/30 skinks maybe used in the army list.

This rule (his choice not mine) was to stop either of us using to much of a good thing (he uses a gunline which uses 50 hand gunners in 2k, I have 40 skinks I like to use).

3)no more than 2 (special) warmachines maybe included in an army.

This is mainly for my benifit to stop warmachine spamming also (like I said, he has a gunline).

4) No multiple rare units of the same type.

This was one of my favorate choices as it stops the git using 2 steam tanks but also hinders my sally units.

My list I have written at the moment goes like this (these will NOT be the exact details as I am at work without my book);

Oldblood - carnosaur - reverse blade of tzunki, glymph necklace - Light armour, shield. 466pts

Skink priest - lv2 - Rod of storm, diamed - EotG - 440pts
Skink priest - lv1 - 2x Dscrolls - 115pts
Skink chief - Stegadon (baby) - venom of the fire fly - Spear - 304pts

10 skink skirmishers - 70pts
10 saurus warriors - spears - 120pts
10 saurus warriors - spears - 120pts
3 sallies - 225pts.

2000pts.

7/5 Power dice + rod of storm
5/7 Dispel dice + 2 scrolls.

The plan is to use the EotG to shield my army from enemy missle fire (ward save) and while doing this my stegadon (with the re-rolls to hit) will hope to take a wound or wo off the stank making his pace lessen to 12" per turn.

Once the stank is moving slower than my carno, I will charge him in and that will be the end of that. after the stank is al but useless, my army will switch into an offencive mode and advance. Hoping the state troops fail their LD from my sallie panic bombs. I from this I should only have to deal with knights and pistoliers (skinks can have "ago" at the pistoliers) and my steggy chief and EofG will try and stick together as to take out the knights.

I can see myself (while writing this and before) that my plan has quite a few holes in it, and is fairly small, but I am having trouble writing a list that I would think would "work" under these conditions without falling face first at the first hurdle.

Can you advise something else to use? I can use pretty much anything as I have the models for it all (bar the razordons which I would sub forthe means time). The list I will be facing will be using a stank-pope mobile combo (holy stank?) and I have yet to face such a combo, can any advice be given?

thank you in advance and I hope I get some feedback soon.

P.s. Make the list as nasty as possible, i'm playing gunline - tastic ;) (add the words together) (if you are old enough to remember the GW forums on-site)

Time of Madness
23-02-2009, 12:24
It's a very weak list in my opinion.

If you plan on taking only skink heros then your better off leaving the saurus blocks at home. Spend the points on a mixed unit of skinks/krox instead.

All you need for a good magic defence is a EoG with a level 2 and diadem/scroll.

Where are the terradons/chamelons? How do you expect to hunt war machines without those units?
Time of Madness

dsw1
23-02-2009, 14:35
It's a very weak list in my opinion.

If you plan on taking only skink heros then your better off leaving the saurus blocks at home. Spend the points on a mixed unit of skinks/krox instead.

All you need for a good magic defence is a EoG with a level 2 and diadem/scroll.

Where are the terradons/chamelons? How do you expect to hunt war machines without those units?
Time of Madness

To be perfectly honest, I am finding it hard to create a "strong" lizard list with the ristrictions in play (that and trying to think of counters to the pope/stank combo). I am normally (as stated above) a magic kind of guy, but alas, I will have next to no chance in getting a spell off.

Soxigor units are horrible, I would rather have the few saurus than kroxigor in my army, I barely took them in 6th ed lizards due to their dying efficiency under my command, but now that they have been made s6, they are not even good at what they (in my opinion) where designed for, and that is ripping chariots/big things to shreds. Due to the low weapon skill they will hit most things on 4's, so 3 krox (9 attacks) 4.5 will hit, then 4's to wound a monster (lets go off krox attacking a dragon) which will give 2.25 wounds, of which the dragons 3+ save will save 0.3 of the wounds (after modifications to the save). 2 wound against the dragon (per combat phase) does not justify spending 50 odd points on them, well it does until the dragon strikes back. against infantry the skinks are also giving up free Victory points, and most armies I play with monsters are dark elf so I'm that bit more reluctant to take them.

I will be facing a level 2 wizard (no doubt with the rod of power) and a pope mobile with (as obvious as this is) an arch lector on top. An EotG and diamed gives me 6DD in total, now the lector can cast 2 bound spells and the chariot can cast a spell off the lore of light (suprisingly good lore imo) and then I will be dealing with a fire mage.

If I want to shut down his magic against me, I would need 8ish DD per turn (2 dice for each bound and 2DD for the lv2) and that is not even garenteed to stop it.

I don't know, I couldn't fit them in after the EotG but thatis why I came here, I want advise on what to take and I have just gotten some choices :)

What list would you suggest, what to take, what not to take and I'll look into making the arrangements of getting the re-enforcments sent from the temple cities ;).

Spirit
23-02-2009, 15:45
If you going to be playing so little magic, you do not need the scroll caddy, lose him. 6 dispell dice from the EOTG's is plenty, just give him a dispell scroll instead of the storm rod and go defensive magic.

I would also lose the hero on the stegadon, i know this wont be popular but stegadons are good enough on their own, and lizardmen do not need 4 heroes to function, in fact they are better without the full compliment.

Take instead an assassin skink, on a terradon with the bane head, spear and maiming shield, and go hunting his mage. Even if in a unit you have a decent chance of not running with LD7 and when you do flee, you can still sct when you rally.

If you haven't already, split the sallies into a unit of 1 and a unit of 2. This way you can cause 2 panic checks a turn.

Bump the saurus up a bit more, as it stands every one you lose makes them worse in combat and the spears less worth their points. Having some that can be magic'ed and shot is good.

TAKE SOME TERRADONS!!! These things should be included in every army, they do so much for a 90 point unit.

I think your army is a bit small, but as i say, lose a hero and spend the points on something cool.

Edit: Actually, i dont think you need 3 salamanders, just take 2 units of 1 with 4 handlers each.

dsw1
23-02-2009, 17:38
If you going to be playing so little magic, you do not need the scroll caddy, lose him. 6 dispell dice from the EOTG's is plenty, just give him a dispell scroll instead of the storm rod and go defensive magic.

I would also lose the hero on the stegadon, i know this wont be popular but stegadons are good enough on their own, and lizardmen do not need 4 heroes to function, in fact they are better without the full compliment.

Take instead an assassin skink, on a terradon with the bane head, spear and maiming shield, and go hunting his mage. Even if in a unit you have a decent chance of not running with LD7 and when you do flee, you can still sct when you rally.

If you haven't already, split the sallies into a unit of 1 and a unit of 2. This way you can cause 2 panic checks a turn.

Bump the saurus up a bit more, as it stands every one you lose makes them worse in combat and the spears less worth their points. Having some that can be magic'ed and shot is good.

TAKE SOME TERRADONS!!! These things should be included in every army, they do so much for a 90 point unit.

I think your army is a bit small, but as i say, lose a hero and spend the points on something cool.

Edit: Actually, i dont think you need 3 salamanders, just take 2 units of 1 with 4 handlers each.

Thank you on the constructive post :).

I was a little worried about bound spells but I suppose they shouldn't effect me too much (well the arch-lectors are mainly short range). I'll do that.

I was thinking of the venom bolt combo (re-rolling to hit, just to take those few wounds off that damned stank) but I'd be hitting on 4 without him (so 4 then 4 would be needed). I think I will scrap the 2nd steg all together and go with the terradons like you suggested.

Unfortunately I can't have 2 sallies due to rule number 4 (I think?) where I'm not allowed multiple rare units of the same type. that means eggs in one basket for them, but one or two would do I think, I was just thinking 3 because of old habits (they die hard you know).

Yeah with the points I have freed I can bump them up a bit (18 each?) I think that should work quite nicely, I should also be able to afford the terradons :) ;

Old blood - Carnosaur - Blade of reverse Tzunki, Glymph necklace - Light armour, Shield. - 466pts

Skink priest - level 2 - EotG - diaded, scroll - 440pts

Skink chief - Terradon - bane head, staff of the lost sun - spear - light armour, shield - 143pts

10 skinks - 70pts
10 skinks - 70pts
10 skinks - 70pts
18 saurus warriors - spears - 216pts
18 saurus warriors - spears - 216pts
5 chameleon skinks - 60pts
3 terradons - 90pts
2 sallies - 150pts

1991pts

that list alright?

Spirit
23-02-2009, 21:27
I like the addition of some harassment units, and as for the stegadon, i dont play that the chief can use the giant bow, so i didnt think about that. If your opponents are ok with it then its not actually a bad idea.

As for the pope mobile, what does he have magic item wise? Because this sounds like a pretty good chance at trying out the blade of realities, would be good to one hit the lector. Then the carosaur will one hit the wagon.

Mind you that might leave you vulnerable to the steam tank.

Those fleshed out saurus are looking much scarier now, seeing as they are the main bulk of your army, any way you can add standards to the unit? You wont be throwing them away and lizards don't lose standards often. Might just give you the edge you need to win combats.

Overall looking much better, just one more thing, its diaDEM not diaMED :P

Edit: Oh, and with the 9 points left add 1 (or 2 if you dot mind being a point over) handlers to the salamander unit, you dont want them munching all the crew and going frenzied on you! Of course 3 (4?) S5 attacks each might not be a bad thing vs empire! lol.

dsw1
24-02-2009, 04:08
I like the addition of some harassment units, and as for the stegadon, i dont play that the chief can use the giant bow, so i didnt think about that. If your opponents are ok with it then its not actually a bad idea.

As for the pope mobile, what does he have magic item wise? Because this sounds like a pretty good chance at trying out the blade of realities, would be good to one hit the lector. Then the carosaur will one hit the wagon.

Mind you that might leave you vulnerable to the steam tank.

Those fleshed out saurus are looking much scarier now, seeing as they are the main bulk of your army, any way you can add standards to the unit? You wont be throwing them away and lizards don't lose standards often. Might just give you the edge you need to win combats.

Overall looking much better, just one more thing, its diaDEM not diaMED :P

Edit: Oh, and with the 9 points left add 1 (or 2 if you dot mind being a point over) handlers to the salamander unit, you dont want them munching all the crew and going frenzied on you! Of course 3 (4?) S5 attacks each might not be a bad thing vs empire! lol.

My number 1 priority is to take out the stank at the moment, even if I lose the game, it will be a moral victory ;) that is why I have the blade of reverse tzunki and the carnosaur (s6 no As then s7 doing D3 wounds should hopefully) take off 4 wounds (2 wounds and with an average roll of 7, I should get 4 should) and the old blood should take off about 2.

I am assuming the Arch lector will have mace of helmstrum, armour of met iron and van hostmans. If so then my best hope is holding it in CC with my saurus and hoping he doesn't win CC or something.

I will see if the standards can be fitted in, that might involve losing my staff but I suppose that is a small rice to pay :).

i'll re-jig the list later.