PDA

View Full Version : Question about Curse of Years...

TiechoNortheal
23-02-2009, 18:20
I'm a veteran VC player. I've been playing the new VC since they've come out, and I was the other day idlely reading over the spell list. Up until this point, I've simply been using the rules for Curse of Years I remembered from the last edition, only with an 8+ to cast and an 18" range.

I've seen now that it has changed. What caught my eye at first was the fact that the effects now occur at the end of the magic phase, rather than the beginning. I was a bit bummed by this, as I used to love to cast it, then let it go off at the start of the next magic phase, then end it so my caster could keep on casting.

Oh, well, I thought, give and take I suppose, it is only an 8+ to cast now.

Then, however, I noticed that the word's 'Vampire Counts Magic Phase' or 'Caster's Magic Phase' are present no where in the description of the spell, simply 'next Magic Phase'.

Am I reading this right? Does this mean that the affects Curse of Years actually occur at the end of both my own and my enemy's magic phases?

nosferatu1001
23-02-2009, 18:28
Nest magic phase would mean ANY magic phase. Means your opponent needs to dispel it quickly....

Shamfrit
23-02-2009, 18:30
It triggers at the end of your magic phase and your opponent's, so Nosferatu is correct - it does indeed need to be dispelled, very quickly!

TiechoNortheal
23-02-2009, 18:36
Wow. That's uhhh....

I dunno. I'm honestly at a bit of a loss here.

Thanks for the quick replies.

EvC
23-02-2009, 19:06
So it is potentially nastier, but it gives opponents one chance to dispel it when cast, then another in their own magic phase, and then if it is still in play, it will only go off again (Wound on 4+) if the VC player forgoes casting magic with that Vampire for that turn. So pretty balacned really- and less to cast also means less needed to dispel.

TiechoNortheal
23-02-2009, 19:42
So it is potentially nastier, but it gives opponents one chance to dispel it when cast, then another in their own magic phase, and then if it is still in play, it will only go off again (Wound on 4+) if the VC player forgoes casting magic with that Vampire for that turn. So pretty balacned really- and less to cast also means less needed to dispel.

Well, it's just that it gets so killy so quickly. Sure, it's easier to dispel, but with an 8 to dispel on the RIP, you're gonna have to throw 3 dice at it to stop it reliably. That's three power dice from your magic phase that are now not hurting me, or three of your dispel dice held back from stopping my magic phase if you're going to try and stop it on the needing 4's turn.

It used to not deny you casting all that much, but now the enemy pretty much HAS to dispel it, and thus it achieves two ends: hurting the enemy (nothing you can do about the 1st round needing 6's) as well as forcing them to make a very hard choice between letting their expensive unit get gutted or throwing a huge chink in their magic phase. Think how TK and Dwarf players must feel, with only 2 power dice in their own magic phases?

This spell just about tripled in effectiveness, to my eyes. That's a crazy amount of bang for your buck for only an 8+ to cast spell.

sulla
24-02-2009, 23:58
It used to not deny you casting all that much, but now the enemy pretty much HAS to dispel it, and thus it achieves two ends: hurting the enemy (nothing you can do about the 1st round needing 6's) as well as forcing them to make a very hard choice between letting their expensive unit get gutted or throwing a huge chink in their magic phase.

Well, it's not like you will see it cast that often anyway because as good as it is, there's 3 or 4 better spells in the VC list that will get cast (and spammed) before the VC player even considers throwing dice at Curse...

Even in your 2 examples vs Dwarves and TK, the VC will most likely be spamming invocations as quickly as possible to repair the damage from the gunlines blasting them. They are unlikely to want to chance 3 dice on a spell which could miscast, be scrolled or target someone with MR.