PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings - 2k (first try)

stwess
23-02-2009, 19:01
Ok well I'm considering Starting u WFB again (haven't played since last edition) and I remembered how few people I have seen playing TKs, so naturally I read up on them, and I've got to say I like em.

We usually play around 2k points here (sometimes less but not often). So I wrote a quick list aimed at this level and i was wondering what u guys thought of it?

Lords:
Liche High Priest
Cloak of the Dunes, Staff of Ravening, Hieratic Jar
335pts

Heroes:
Liche Priest
Scroll x2
165pts

Tomb Prince (General)
Collar of Shapesh, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield
133pts

Tomb Prince
Flail of Skulls, Light Armour, Chariot
192pts

Core:
20 Skeleton Warriors (General goes here)
Champion, Standard Bearer, Light Armour, Shields
200pts

10 Skeleton Warriors
Hand Weapons, Bows
80pts

10 Skeleton Warriors
Hand Weapons, Bows
80pts

Special:
3 Ushabti
195pts

3 Chariots
Standard Bearer, Banner of the Undying Legion
165pts

1 Tomb Scorpion
85pts

6 Carrion
144pts

Rare:
Screaming Skull Catapult
Skulls of the Foe
110pts

Screaming Skull Catapult
Skulls of the Foe
110pts

1994pts Total

Having not looked at the old book in a while and barley having seen the new one, any obvious mistakes you notice please feel free to point out :)

Just an overview of my thinkings:
General sits in 20 man unit, champion here to take challenges where appropriate. - does this unit need to be bumped up? to say 25-30men

with the combination i effectively bring 6+2+1+1 = 10 power dice to the table +another 3 on a turn of my choice - is this enough?

5 Dispell dice and 2 scrolls - Is this enough? or maybe its overkill (scrolls wise?)

the larger/faster moving units are ofc for flanking and the scorp and carrion for march blocking, warmachine hunting and if called on rear or flank charges (which in the carrions case negates ranks?)

I am however Concerned that my Catapults maybe Lacking defensivly (aka not enough protection) - I did consider Tomb Gaurd with the Icon but am not 100% convinced.

C&C welcome (in fact very much wanted!)
ST

Lafkak
23-02-2009, 19:51
Lords:
Liche High Priest
Cloak of the Dunes, Staff of Ravening, Hieratic Jar
335pts

Heroes:
Liche Priest
Scroll x2
165pts

Tomb Prince (General)
Collar of Shapesh, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield
133pts

Tomb Prince
Flail of Skulls, Light Armour, Chariot
192pts

Core:
20 Skeleton Warriors (General goes here)
Champion, Standard Bearer, Light Armour, Shields
200pts

10 Skeleton Warriors
Hand Weapons, Bows
80pts

10 Skeleton Warriors
Hand Weapons, Bows
80pts

Special:
3 Ushabti
195pts

3 Chariots
Standard Bearer, Banner of the Undying Legion
165pts

1 Tomb Scorpion
85pts

6 Carrion
144pts

Rare:
Screaming Skull Catapult
Skulls of the Foe
110pts

Screaming Skull Catapult
Skulls of the Foe
110pts

1994pts Total

Hey there. I have a couple suggestions:

First of all, yes, if you only have one Skeleton Warrior unit that unit is going to be seeing A LOT of combat. It needs to go to 25, up to you as to whether to bump it to 30.

Second, I'd consider swapping the Staff of Ravening and the Dispel Scrolls between your Priests. Staff of Ravening is a Magic Missile and thus your Hierophant will need LOS to his targets, which puts him at a pretty hefty risk. I don't know where your other Liche is going (my guess is in a unit of Archers, which would be fine, or near a Catapult), but if he's close to the enemy and in a unit he can use the Staff without worrying about return fire (because I assume the High Priest will be on his own flying around, or at least eventually).

Third, if you're taking Ushabti, it needs to be 4 in my opinion. They're powerful but vulnerable and people know this; a lot of shooting will go their way. 4 helps you have the wiggle room so that when you get in combat you'll probably still be at full strength (or at least 3, which is still threatening) thanks to your Incantations. If you take 3 you have to dump ALL your magic into keeping these guys at a fighting strength, because 2 Ushabti really isn't worth much.

Fourth, Chariots. Banner of the Undying Legion is probably a waste here, in my experience much more shooting goes to your Ushabti and you can maneuver your Chariots a lot better, placing them out of range or LOS, etc. so they don't need the Banner as much. Plus, 2 chariots in the flank is pretty much just as deadly as 4 chariots in the flank, since cancelling ranks and getting +1 CR are what they are all about :) and since the Prince is in there, that will only help things.

Speaking of the Prince, when I run a list with a Tomb King I always give him the Flail of Skulls, so that's great that he has it. Since he's in the Chariot unit, he (and his unit) would greatly benefit from the Icon of the Sacred Eye. I never leave home without it on my Chariots, and it's worked wonders. Makes people very afraid (or very dead) of your Tomb Prince and his double-wounding abilities, since his weakness in the "to hit" roll is mitigated by the Icon.

To make all these changes happen it might be worthwhile to drop the Scorpion or some Carrion, or even a Catapult. SSC are really good though, esp. with a LHP, so probably keep them. The Scorpion and the Carrion fulfill the same role and both are good at it, so you might survive dropping one of them to make the above changes.

Good luck!

stwess
23-02-2009, 20:48
Hmm ye i definatly see your point about the Staff, I was a little uncertain as it is (relitivly) short ranged however after going through the Army list again (2nd read :p) i notice that HIoRS has a 12" range and with the staff being 18" the Priest would still have an 'effetive' ranged of 30" to use it and still be within casting distance. So consider it swapped :P

As for the Ushabti I can see where you are coming from but im concerned that 4 of them make become unwieldly (terain etc permitting), have you had any experience of this or do you find using MIoU when necessary more than makes us for this?

The carrion I would probably choose to keep over the scorp, I've heard alot of people that rave about it but personaly i find the carrion slightly more versitile and tbh i prefer the looks of the model :p Have you (or others) got any ideas / experience between the effectivness of each unit? my thinking is the carrion although in comparison to the scorpion are weak in combat they can easily hunt warmachines, vunerable missle troops, march block and assuming there is over (3?) of the left can negate ranks when charging from the back or rear. I've also heard that they can be immensly useful chasing down Fleeing units?
The scropion seems less versitile however I would greatly appriciate peoples uses for it other than warmahine hunting.

I take your point about the banner on the chariots though I'm not sure I'll drop it just yet, I'd like to see what people consider most threatening first hand before doing so.

What do people think of the bowmen? I plan to use them as flank guards and occationally rank negators :p they are reasonably cheap, the ability to fire on the move and never have modifiers strikes me as useful even if they are only BS2. They are most likely, for the large part id expect, be ignored by my opponents as in groups of 10 they arnt particually threatening compared to the other stuff.

Lastly about the prince The Icon seems very appealing, not having judged the damage done with and without it by chariots I cannot say here or there how useful I think it could be, not wanting to put too many eggs in one basket and all :) but it certainly appeals to me.

ST
PS. keep the replys coming! :p

valdrog
24-02-2009, 16:33
Make room for at least one Scorpion, for 85 points you get poison,killing blow, MR 1, 5+ save, costruct, move 7, it came from bellow, 4 wounds, strg/tough 5, fear. Is really super underpriced for all it does.

Ushabti i take them in 4s cause they attract a lot of fire and you want them to still pack a good punch when they hit.

GeneralDisaster
25-02-2009, 19:26
Definetly agree with valdrog. A TS is almost a nescessity for a TK army. For their EVIL statline, you pay 85 points.

Obscenely rude, IMO. Take two!