PDA

View Full Version : Engine of the Gods Problem

whydiablo
24-02-2009, 09:12
The Burning alignment is affect within 2d6". How if the effect range just touch an enemy unit?

for example, I roll 2d6 result is 3", and my Engine of the Gods is in close combat with an enemy unit, the effect range only touch the enemy unit edge.

Thank for help

Neckutter
24-02-2009, 09:17
if the range touches the edge of the unit then the unit "is within 3" range" is it not?
therefore d6 S4, no-AS hits coming your way.

nosferatu1001
24-02-2009, 10:21
If you are in Close combat with an enemy unit, burning alignment will always hit them as it it measured from the Stegs base.

You only need to touch the unit for them to be within the distance rolled

Spirit
24-02-2009, 10:37
In warhammer, you only have to reach the enemy unit to affect the whole unit with magic.

So if you are 1.5" away from a unit and you roll 2" for Engine Of The Gods, you get D6 hits on the ENTIRE unit. Even if you only clip 1cm of its base.

jax40kplyr1
24-02-2009, 15:13
Since the question is about Engine of the Gods, here is another one: Does the Burning Alignment count as flaming? I know it doesn't say specifically in the codex it is, but after the recent rulebook FAQ with dwarf flame cannons and such, would it be safe to say it is?

OldMaster
24-02-2009, 15:17
Since the question is about Engine of the Gods, here is another one: Does the Burning Alignment count as flaming? I know it doesn't say specifically in the codex it is, but after the recent rulebook FAQ with dwarf flame cannons and such, would it be safe to say it is?

No it would not. You'll get lots of arguments about it. In short, you won't be able to hurt Dragon Princes and you won't be able to negate Regeneration =P
GW will most likely say something like "magical fire is not like mundane fire!"

jax40kplyr1
24-02-2009, 15:20
Typical GW - the term "Burning" and "rays of magical fire" somehow wouldn't give the clue that it is a burning attack. Just curious as combining flaming with increased str against undead, it could be a killer (considering the number of GG units with regen banner floating around).

Bac5665
24-02-2009, 15:52
The Burning Alignement is neither fiery nor magical as it currently stands. We'll see what happens after the FAQ.

Surgency
24-02-2009, 16:03
They'll probably FAQ it otherwise, but right now, it's not flaming, and it's not magical. I guess the skinks are throwing hot rocks or something...

stripsteak
24-02-2009, 19:44

the FAQ only applies to pre7th edition material 'it was published before the term 'Flaming Attack' was formalized'

decker_cky
24-02-2009, 20:17
The FAQ applies because it says "for things that seem like they could be flaming, they aren't except for these three things." It's not flaming, it's not magical (probably made from the same stuff as the breath weapons of tzeentch spawn :P).

Neckutter
24-02-2009, 20:27
EotG is totally magical hits. :)
it happens during the magic phase=magical.

otherwise you get people saying that miscast table results where you take hits arent magical. the only hits that are described as magical are magic missles, and from magic weapons(and now NOT magic ranged weapons)
and yeah, it will be FAQ'd as such.

stripsteak
25-02-2009, 02:23
The FAQ applies because it says "for things that seem like they could be flaming, they aren't except for these three things." It's not flaming, it's not magical (probably made from the same stuff as the breath weapons of tzeentch spawn :P).

the faq doesn't apply because it only applies to pre 7th edition books read the sentence after the one you quoted. the new lizardman book is cleary not published before seventh addition

Necromancy Black
25-02-2009, 03:29
the faq doesn't apply because it only applies to pre 7th edition books read the sentence after the one you quoted. the new lizardman book is cleary not published before seventh addition

Only pre-7th? So dwarf flame cannon isn't flaming then?

Gorthor21
25-02-2009, 04:12
i would assume that the burning alignment is lightning since it doesnt allow armor saves, but who knows really.

Loq-Gor
25-02-2009, 04:17

I agree, I saw this argument coming when I first got the book. Magic phase equals magical in my group's book though, so no real problem for me.

decker_cky
25-02-2009, 04:43

Dwarf book was released during 6th edition.

decker_cky
25-02-2009, 04:44

Then because it doesn't specify, it must not have flaming or magical attacks. :rolleyes:

nosferatu1001
25-02-2009, 09:34
To be totally logical, given they specified that Salamanders have Flaming Attacks in the book the burning alignment probably isnt meant to be "flaming", however to argue that attacks from a magical device that occur during the magic phase ARENT magical seems....interesting. :rolleyes:

I know all WE players in our LGS immediately thought it was magical, however if it were an issue (e.g. playing vamps with ethereals) I would always clarify at the start, and would have to have a pretty good argument that it isnt magical. Certainly more than was presented here....

Spirit
25-02-2009, 09:57
To be totally logical, given they specified that Salamanders have Flaming Attacks in the book the burning alignment probably isnt meant to be "flaming", however to argue that attacks from a magical device that occur during the magic phase ARENT magical seems....interesting. :rolleyes:

I know all WE players in our LGS immediately thought it was magical, however if it were an issue (e.g. playing vamps with ethereals) I would always clarify at the start, and would have to have a pretty good argument that it isnt magical. Certainly more than was presented here....

It would certainly be an issue vs wood elves, ignoring their save and being S5 is pretty awsome considering they will be hard pressed to kill it.

kroq'gar
25-02-2009, 10:38
It would certainly be an issue vs wood elves, ignoring their save and being S5 is pretty awsome considering they will be hard pressed to kill it.

consider they were written prior to the machine and the issue will be addresed... i remember saying obviously soulfire would effect ree creautres as they had the same save as deamons- wow.... it was addressed next book.

The best books were last edition, where balance was ravening hoardes (pure balance) and then you only had to look forward.

stripsteak
25-02-2009, 15:02

the dwarf book ist still a 6th ed book, even if it was their second 6th book. and also the faq specifically mentions the dwarf flame cannon.

nosferatu1001
25-02-2009, 15:48
As I said - all our WE (Wood Elf) players immediately saw it as being magical. IF anyone can come up with a good reason why it isnt magical (more than "it doesnt say it is"; remember the magic section doesnt mention magical attacks either!) then they should do so, as otherwise RAI it should be magical.

Dryads etc would hate it, about the only thing that would live is the Treeman - especially an ancient.

Borthcollective
25-02-2009, 17:05

otherwise you get people saying that miscast table results where you take hits arent magical. the only hits that are described as magical are magic missles, and from magic weapons(and now NOT magic ranged weapons)
and yeah, it will be FAQ'd as such.

I don't doubt that it will become magical in the FAQ, but your statement about attacks being magical because they happen in the magic phase is bs. So by your logic all attacks made via the Tomb Kings Righteous Smiting spell do magic damage.

Neckutter
25-02-2009, 17:57
I don't doubt that it will become magical in the FAQ, but your statement about attacks being magical because they happen in the magic phase is bs. So by your logic all attacks made via the Tomb Kings Righteous Smiting spell do magic damage.

for your specific example, the magic spell/ability isnt doing the damage, the weapons of your troops are. my above statement was vague, but it was intended to be.

EDIT: since you seem to need clarification, here you go:
wounds directly caused by magic items/spells/magic banners/magical weapons are magical in nature, unless stated otherwise.
wounds directly caused during the magic phase are magical in nature, unless stated otherwise.(this includes miscast results, AND abilities like EOTG)

Dokushin
25-02-2009, 18:35
Hey, I win either way; either the Burning Alignment is magical, and my Engine does magical hits, or Miscast hits aren't magical, and my Slann is immune to them. I'm happy either way.

Nurgling Chieftain
25-02-2009, 21:24
Who cares about miscast hits on the Slann? He's packing 5 wounds. It's when you slaughter most of his unit of Temple Guard with a 2-4 that you have to worry...

Surgency
25-02-2009, 22:26
Hey, I win either way; either the Burning Alignment is magical, and my Engine does magical hits, or Miscast hits aren't magical, and my Slann is immune to them. I'm happy either way.

hadn't thought of that. It's a good point, though ;)

GodlessM
25-02-2009, 22:50
I always imagined the Burning Alignment as more a light based attack rather than fire based.

Neckutter
25-02-2009, 22:51
it could be a chemical burn, or a heat burn... but not necessarily "flaming"

also the name "burning" could dexcribe what it does to you, not necessarily what it is made of.

Necromancy Black
26-02-2009, 05:38
I always imagined the Burning Alignment as more a light based attack rather than fire based.

Last I checked the Lore of Light has a few flaming attacks :p

TroyJPerez
26-02-2009, 08:54
The engine isn't magical cause for some reason chaos demonic gifts aren't magical! And the stupid Demon Prince for chaos does not have magical attacks or anyway of getting them besides taking Lore of Fire and casting the sword spell. Sorry just a bitter Chaos player here. I think it is probably magic and don't worry wood elf player i'm sure next army book your ward saves will become real ward saves instead of the lame magic voulnerable ward saves you have now.

kroq'gar
26-02-2009, 10:57
just let common sense prevail

Fhoen
26-02-2009, 11:07
Just let common sense prevail

Darn , hadn't got a laugh this big since a couple of weeks :P

kroq'gar
26-02-2009, 11:09
Darn , hadn't got a laugh this big since a couple of weeks :P

true... online nerding doesnt allow much room for anything near commonsense :P

-If i went back 900 years, and shot somone, they'd say i'd magically killed them... so what would a 1700 peasant make of laser beams...

Neckutter
26-02-2009, 12:30
so what would a 1700 peasant make of laser beams...

"look.... pretty!"

woodulikeanother
01-03-2009, 01:47
Typical GW - the term "Burning" and "rays of magical fire" somehow wouldn't give the clue that it is a burning attack. Just curious as combining flaming with increased str against undead, it could be a killer (considering the number of GG units with regen banner floating around).

just because something has "Burning" in its name doesnt make it a Flaming attack

slingersam
02-03-2009, 06:30
just because something has "Burning" in its name doesnt make it a Flaming attack

NOOOO, your RIGHT, burning = soothing cool water :wtf:

lol couldn't resist

Dokushin
02-03-2009, 12:51
NOOOO, your RIGHT, burning = soothing cool water :wtf:

Down this road lies madness.

Barbed razordons are said to shoot spikes. Shouldn't they be armor piercing? Spikes are piercing, after all.

Rule of Burning Iron says it makes metal heat up. So horses and scaly skin shouldn't count, right? How about armor not made out of metal?

The Staff of the Lost Sun says it projects rays of hot light that sear the flesh of those it touches, so it should be flaming, right?

This isn't Fluffhammer. They give us rules for a reason (hint: it's so we can play them).

Nurgling Chieftain
02-03-2009, 15:27
Down this road lies madness.

Barbed razordons are said to shoot spikes. Shouldn't they be armor piercing? Spikes are piercing, after all.

Rule of Burning Iron says it makes metal heat up. So horses and scaly skin shouldn't count, right? How about armor not made out of metal?

The Staff of the Lost Sun says it projects rays of hot light that sear the flesh of those it touches, so it should be flaming, right?Well, frankly... Maybe, definitely yes, and yes, respectively. :cool: Certainly the D&D close equivalent of "Rule of Burning Iron", "Heat Metal", worked specifically on metal and not just based on your A.C.!

Foegnasher
02-03-2009, 16:22
As I said - all our WE (Wood Elf) players immediately saw it as being magical. IF anyone can come up with a good reason why it isnt magical (more than "it doesnt say it is"; remember the magic section doesnt mention magical attacks either!) then they should do so, as otherwise RAI it should be magical.

Dryads etc would hate it, about the only thing that would live is the Treeman - especially an ancient.

nad he's covered by the blade of realities, wood elves vs lizzies are a bad matchup for the tree huggers.

nosferatu1001
02-03-2009, 16:37
What, when you hit on 6's and he's Ld9? 1 hit per turn isnt an issue.

Foegnasher
02-03-2009, 16:47
What, when you hit on 6's and he's Ld9? 1 hit per turn isnt an issue.

i forgot about the annoyance. there's still the str 7 d3 wound carnosaur.

Staurikosaurus
03-03-2009, 08:24
Engines are better at taking out Treemen. Burning alignment works alright and S6 impact hits don't roll to hit.

nosferatu1001
03-03-2009, 16:35
Burning alignment - 5's to wound and impact hits still allow the ward save. Not going to do it one turn, while your skink priest gets killed by the treeman in the challenge.

Wolf 11x
03-03-2009, 16:40
Treeman Ancient + Annoyance of Netlings = one very sad Oldblood on Carnosaur... never again! Oh the horror...

Staurikosaurus
03-03-2009, 21:45
I've killed the treeman and the treeman ancient in 1 turn on most occasions. Worst case scenario it's taken 1 game turn. They're not hard to beat.