PDA

View Full Version : 5pointer's Plog of Many Armies (and Warbands!)

5Pointer
24-02-2009, 19:14
Welcome to my Plog!

My aim is to use this thread to keep me on track; to pick me up when my enthusiasm wanes and to hopefully chronicle my painting skills as they develop from barely-there to gaming standard.

A little bit about me first; I'm 27 and I started the hobby in the early 90s. I came to GW via Citadel Combat Cards and Space Crusade, then 40k (second edition was released very early on in my time in the hobby and was where I really got into it), then WHFB, followed by Necromunda, Warhammer Quest, Blood Bowl and then dropped out of the hobby in around 2000. Only really managed to sucessfully paint a few things in all that time: an Elf Ranger for WHQ, a Dwarf BB team, a regiment of Dwarf Slayers (back when they didn't all have axes), a Van Saar gang, a skaven warrior, Queek Head-taker, a handful of Eldar guardians and a Chaos Terminator. So, clearly, I'm not the most experienced with a paintbrush!

I came back to the hobby in 2006, picked up a copy of Mordheim, then WHFB, then finally 40k. I got back into it mainly due to waxing nostaligic and having a supportive girlfriend (now wife - and Dark Elf/Ork collector!) who encouraged me to take it up again. Sadly, I'd thrown out everything I had before - including a bunch of Squats (*gnashes teeth in anguish*), but thanks to very generous birthday and Christmas gifts since then I've built up a nice little collection of models. Sadly, I'm a born procrastinator, so progress to date has been slower than a very slow thing.

All of which means I've got a huge stack of sprues and undercoated miniatures ready to get to work on... which leads me nicely to this Plog! :)

I'll be posting photos of my models as and when they are finished. 'Small steps'is probably the best motto for me when it comes to painting - I'm aware of my own limitations but think that through practice and slowly introducing more methods and techniques to my painting I'll begin to improve and one-day reach an acceptable table-top standard. That's the plan anyway!

--------------------------------

I'll introduce the various projects I have on the go so you get an idea of what to expect (sooner or later!):

Waaaagh! Gazbash
2000pts Orc and Goblins
No real story behind these guys, just the Orcs and Gobbos from the current and last WHFB Big Boxes, with a couple of extras thrown in to round it up to 1k.
(Black Orc Warboss, Orc Big Boss BSB, Night Goblin Shaman, Night Goblin Big Boss, Arrer Boyz, Orc Boyz, Goblin Spears + Fanatic, Night Goblin Bows + Fanatic, Spider Riders, Boar Chariot, Squig Hoppers, Troll, Giant)

King Menkauhor's Glorious Army of Zandri
2000pts Tomb Kings
A pretty standard TK army, main feature is a 24-strong skeleton warrior regiment all with either scimitars or the TK-specific swords - personally, I don't like the flail or axe look on these models.
(Tomb King, Liche Priest, Mounted Liche Priest, Skeltal Warriors, Skeletal Archers 1, Skeletal Archers 2, Heavy Horsemen, Chariots, Carrion, Ushabti, Tomb Scorpion)

The Linebreakers
2000pts Ogre Kingdoms
The first army I got after coming back - bought for me by Mrs 5pointer :) Themed as a mercenary force, which I feel is the defining archetype for Ogres in Warhammer. The Groinbiter in this army features my first attempt at GS.
(Tyrant, Battle Standard Bruiser, Butcher, Ironguts 1, Ironguts 2, Bulls Ironfists, Bulls 2 Weapons 1, Bulls 2 Weapons 2, Gnoblars, Leadbelchers 1, Leadbelchers 2)

The Eataine-Saphery Alliance
2000pts High Elves
I got this army for my birthday (via vouchers) in 2008, simply so my wife and I can have cool themed Elf-v-Elf battles. I bought the old WHQ Ranger from eBay while on a nostalgia trip, who will be used as a Noble.
(Noble, Mage, Mounted Mage, Sea Guard, Archers 1, Archers 2, Archers 3, Archers 4, Silver Helms 1, Silver Helms 2, Repeater Bolt Thrower 1, Repeater Bolt Thrower 2)

Georg Gutworm and the Men of Angestecktdorf
500pts Nurgle Mortal
Themed around the diseased survivors from an Empire village. Currently still based on the WD WoC list, waiting for me to get my grubby hands on the new army book to revise - although it's likely to remain a fun modelling project rather than a serious game-viable warband. I've wanted to make a Nurgle warband ever since seeing John Blanche's own in a ye olde edition of WD and I decided to take the opportunity to do so when I gave up on a previous attempt at an Empire army.
(Aspiring Champion, Marauders, Knights)

Skritrit's Warphunters
Mordheim Skaven Warband
Who doesn't love ninja-rats? :)
(Assassin Adept, Black Skaven, Night Runner, Sorcerer, Verminkin Slings, Verminkin Swords, Verminkin Spears, Giant Rats, Rat Ogre)

The Black Lion Brigade
Mordheim Witch Hunter Warband
I've got lots of bits and pieces from an abandoned Empire army, so why not turn it into something useful?
(Witch Hunter Captain, Witch Hunter Hammer & Shield, Witch Hunter 2 Hammers, Witch Hunter Crossbow, Warrior Priest, Flagellants, Zealots Hammers)

Lady Anastasia's Retinue
Mordheim Undead Warband
Had some spare Zombies left over from the Nurgle Warband and thouht I'd put them to use.
(Vampire, Necromancer, Dreg, Zombies 1, Zombies 2, Ghouls 1, Ghouls 2, Dire Wolf)

Mordheim Hired Swords
A mix of hired swords from various sources.
(Freelancer, Troll Slayer, Elf Ranger, Halfling Scout, Pit Fighter, Ogre Bodyguard & Gnoblar Sidekick, Samurai, Ninja, Steppes Warrior, Engineer, Long Rifle Marksman, Warlock)

Finally, for the avoidance of doubt, the only miniatures complete (modelled and fully painted) at the time I started this blog were:

1 Tomb King Skeletal Archer
4 Orc Arrer Boyz
5 Night Gobbo Archers

I've got lots of Orcs & Gobbos and Skeletons undercoated and one rank of Gnoblars assembled, but that's all at the moment. Everything else is either on-sprue, or de-sprued sorted into 'unit bags' ready for assembly.

I hope you'll stick around and join me on this journey as I dive head-first back into this hobby of ours. :)

5Pointer
24-02-2009, 19:16
Apologies for the multi-posts, but wanted to give people something to actually look at to kick start the Plog! (Please excuse the quality of the pictures, maybe my photography skills will develop over the course of the Plog as well!)

Here's the first of the Arrer Boyz, done a little while ago now as test pieces. I decided on a dark Orc skin deliberately to show how tough they are compared to the Gobbos.

http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/orcs001.jpg

http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/orcs002.jpg

5Pointer
24-02-2009, 19:17
Here are the Night Gobbo Archers, done as test pieces to work out an assembly-line method - I'm quite pleased with how they turned out, which makes a change for me.

http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/ngob001.jpg

http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/ngob002.jpg

5Pointer
24-02-2009, 19:18
The first of the Skeletal Archers for the Tomb Kings - again, I've tried to work out a quick but fairly effective method of painting these guys. I'm sure this will be refined and improved as I work through the army.

http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/tk001.jpg

5Pointer
24-02-2009, 19:19
Here's the aforementioned Gnoblar Groinbiter, with my first (and to date only) attempt at GS:

http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/gnob001.jpg

5Pointer
18-03-2009, 22:27
Finished the Night Gobbo Archers!

Here's the command group:
http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/ngob003.jpg

And a group shot:
http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/ngob004.jpg

Next on the painting table: Fanatic to accompany the archers and a Night Gobbo Shaman.

Avalon
19-03-2009, 15:24
Hey, these are pretty good! Still a bit flat in places, so i recommend that you use citadel washes to help add some definition. for example, your night gobbos - what I'd recommend is you do a 70:30 chaos black to codex grey mix and wash it in badab black for shading. if you're a little bit shaky on the highlights either drybrush them on (not really recommended unless you want that "dusty" look) or practice on test models till you can get them on right ;D

Especially like the archer you've got there, keep it up.

5Pointer
20-03-2009, 22:24
Hey, these are pretty good! Still a bit flat in places, so i recommend that you use citadel washes to help add some definition. for example, your night gobbos - what I'd recommend is you do a 70:30 chaos black to codex grey mix and wash it in badab black for shading. if you're a little bit shaky on the highlights either drybrush them on (not really recommended unless you want that "dusty" look) or practice on test models till you can get them on right ;D

Especially like the archer you've got there, keep it up.

Thanks for that, I'll try it out on the fanatic that's next up :)

I'd limited my washes on the Night Gobbos so far to the skin, ground, belts and the fletching on the arrows. Hadn't really though about washing the robes over a lighter basecoat, so I'll definately give that a go next time I'm doing black robes/clothes.

Onwards and upwards!

5Pointer
22-03-2009, 17:58
A flurry of activity today (by my standards at least!).

First up, the Fanatic to go with the Night Gobbo Archers:
http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/ngob005.jpg

Then, Iggy da Finka, my Night Gobbo Shaman:
http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/ngob006.jpg

I tried the lighter mix as per Avalon's suggestion and found that it gives a smoother feel to the fabric, and I switched to a darker grey for my highlights which has helped a lot.

Avalon
23-03-2009, 08:18
Just a little bit of trivia: on the old GW website they were givign a tutorial on the new washes and they used night gobbo models, haha.

Anyway I like the look of your new goblins; they're more natural-looking now. Come to think of it, the dusty effect would look quite good on night goblins, so why don't you give lightly drybrushign codex grey a try?

5Pointer
23-03-2009, 18:47
Just a little bit of trivia: on the old GW website they were givign a tutorial on the new washes and they used night gobbo models, haha.

Anyway I like the look of your new goblins; they're more natural-looking now. Come to think of it, the dusty effect would look quite good on night goblins, so why don't you give lightly drybrushign codex grey a try?

In my local GW they had some white-primed Night Gobbos from BfSP and on each they'd just used one of the new washes... ended up with some bizarre pink and yellow looking things.

Thanks for the comment - I might try the Codex Grey drybrush on the speargobbos that are next up see how it looks.

Avalon
24-03-2009, 11:25
Be sure to keep the drybrush very light, though ;D

5Pointer
24-03-2009, 19:39
Be sure to keep the drybrush very light, though ;D

Of course... they're Night Gobbos, not Dusk Gobbos :D

nkicik
25-03-2009, 08:17
It's amazing how many people are about our age and dropped out of the hobby years ago and then got back involved a couple of years ago. I blame girls.

I like your stuff, it's simple but effective and the gobbos look really nice ranked up. The skin could maybe do with a bit more highlighting as it looks a little one tone at the minute but that's not really a huge thing. There was a goblin skin guide in the last white dwarf which I'm entirely incapable of applying effectively...

5Pointer
25-03-2009, 21:44
It's amazing how many people are about our age and dropped out of the hobby years ago and then got back involved a couple of years ago. I blame girls.

I like your stuff, it's simple but effective and the gobbos look really nice ranked up. The skin could maybe do with a bit more highlighting as it looks a little one tone at the minute but that's not really a huge thing. There was a goblin skin guide in the last white dwarf which I'm entirely incapable of applying effectively...

I can't entirely blame girls... as Mrs 5Pointer does buy me obscene amounts of GW stuff for birthday/Christmas/fun (and even started collecting herself!) :) - quite apart from all this Fantasy stuff I've got 5,000+ pts of Chaos Space Marines to do! *gulp*

Thanks for the comments, I know what you mean about the skin but as I just go Goblin Green-Thraka Wash I don't want to go much lighter, I'm toying with just building up the washes gradually to give better definition, but if that doesn't work maybe I'll try a very slight highlight and see if that works out. Either that or maybe a different base-Thraka Wash-Highlight - might save that for the Night Gobbo Big Boss.

5Pointer
12-04-2009, 20:45
Slow progress I'm afraid, a combination of not-the-most-fun-models-to-paint and real life...

Anyway, the first few speargobbos:
http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/ngob007.jpg

and the customary pet pic; Humbug, Despoiler of Sprues!
http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/humbug.jpg

Gargobot
16-04-2009, 00:38
First of all: Cats rule!

So, considering advice I think everything has been said; drybrushing and washes (that's how I did mine too). The orc boyz look nice, very impressive axe on the belly-thingy. Is that a freehand?! :eek:

Slow progress I'm afraid, a combination of not-the-most-fun-models-to-paint and real life...
Been there... I think the models are actually quite good, and nice to paint, it's just that there's so many of them.

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on this. Keep it up!

bob_the_small
16-04-2009, 00:45
CATS FTW!!

Great painting m8! Keep it coming!

5Pointer
16-04-2009, 11:09
First of all: Cats rule!

So, considering advice I think everything has been said; drybrushing and washes (that's how I did mine too). The orc boyz look nice, very impressive axe on the belly-thingy. Is that a freehand?! :eek:

Been there... I think the models are actually quite good, and nice to paint, it's just that there's so many of them.

Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on this. Keep it up!

Thanks for the comment and advice, yep it's freehand - until I got the BfSP it was just an Orc warband - 'Da Black Axes' - so I thought I'd try a suitable glyph out on the belly-thingy :)

I must be a sucker for punishment though, I'd got 24 of the Speargobbos lined up, but then I inherited an extra load of Arrer Boyz and the double-choppa boyz and I've decided to bulk it up to 2,000pts now, so I've got another 10 of the Gobbos to do on top of the 19 still on my workstation! D'oh!

CATS FTW!!

Great painting m8! Keep it coming!

Thanks for the encouragement! And yep, Cats ftw... except when he's run off with an all-important bit I've just put down for a second and I've gotta chase him and wrestle it from his steel-strong jaws! :)

5Pointer
07-05-2009, 08:59
Finally finished the Night Gobbo Spears (well, the first 24 of an eventual unit of 35 in any case...)

These guys were hard going, I like the sculpts but I just found them a chore. Still, that's the worst of it behind me for now!

http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/ngob008.jpg

http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/ngob009.jpg

Next up on the painting table is the Night Gobbo Big Boss and a Fanatic to go with the Speargobbos... at this rate I might have 500pts by Christmas! :)

In other news - my Giant and Squig Hoppers have arrived from economygaming (along with some Ghouls for Mordheim), and a Dire Wolf, Glade Guard and Marauder have arrived from Black Dagger (again for Mordheim). Other than a female vampire to lead the Undead Warband I think that'll be all my purchases for a while... except maybe bitz!

Avalon
07-05-2009, 09:28
Looking good! Nice colors, but I would tone down the red on the spears (maybe use scab red instead) and add a bit of definition into the recesses of the skin ;)

5Pointer
08-05-2009, 22:34
Thanks for the comment - guess I'm still stuck in the 'red period'... must be something to do with when I first got into the hobby! :)

I know what you mean about the skin though - I've tried using an Orkhide shade basecoat on my big boss which has worked a bit better. Hopefully I'll have him and the Fanatic for the Speargobbos done at some point over the weekend...

5Pointer
09-05-2009, 14:21
Next up is the Fanatic for the Speargobbos (nothing too exciting - but apologies for the less than average-quality photo!)

http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/ngob010.jpg

And now something I'm really rather happy with! *drumroll* Night Goblin Big Boss, 'Squiggy' Ziggy!

http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/ngob011.jpg

I give him the Best Basha in the game, so I tried to make his sickle look somewhat magical/special. Hope that comes across!

Avalon
10-05-2009, 18:03
Well, you've certainly carried across the magical look ^^

As an aside, it is worth noting that each part of the model should have four parts: basecoat, mid-tone, highlight, extreme highlight. For example, if I were to paint a Steel Legion Imperial Guard Trooper's clothing, I would work like ths:

Basecoat: Graveyard earth, cover the whole area.
Mid-tone: Desert Yellow, leave graveyard earth showing in the deepest recesses.
Highlight: Highlight the raised edges with bubonic brown + desert yellow.
Ex Highlight: Highlight a smaller area with pure bubonic brown.

I usually go one step further and apply a final highlight of bubonic brown and bleached bone, but it's really up to you.

You canapply this technique to all your models. I'm not too skilled with green, so it's best you select your own colors, but always follow this guideline: dark-->not-so-dark-->light--->lighter.
The mid-tone (not-so-dark) for me is very important, because it prevents the contrast from being too stark. This method is good for skin, but on sharp edges you may want to do hard-edge highlights instead.

Hard-edge highlights consist of: Dark--->lighter--->lightest.
For example if I were to hard-edge black my "dark" color would be black, my "lighter" color would be codex grey and my "lightest" color would be fortress grey. The thing about hard-edging is that the highlights must be kept very thin to ensure the effect looks good (otherwise thecontrast is too great). To get this thin effect I recommend loads of practice =p
Also water down your paints for more control over the highlight, and use the base color or "dark" color to neaten up the lines.

Hope that helps!

5Pointer
10-05-2009, 20:22
Thanks as ever Avalon, that's certainly some food for thought - I've got the spider riders up next on the painting table and I think they will definitely benefit from the approach you've set out above.

Although I'll definitely go back and neaten up the highlights, at the very least on the Shaman and Big Boss. (I must admit I'm not too fussed over the archer/speargobbos - they'll just be dying in droves to my wife's repeater crossbowfire anyway :) )

Thanks again for taking the time to impart some much-needed advice! It is appreciated!

BrazenSix
11-05-2009, 03:37
Avalon has some great tips for you. :) I like the nice clean cut tones, but he's right in his advice. Some quick dry brushing for highlights and some washes will take your models to the next level. For my gobbos' skin, I wash with Devlan Mud (brown) instead of the green or black. Just gives me an initially darker tone, then I can build it up with Goblin Green and finally Camo Green. For the spears, I'd go with a darker red (Scab Red) and reserve your blood red for the highlights. Wash with black before highlighting.

Not trying to be critical, just something to try out maybe if you want. Like I said, I like the look already. They look "alive" and colourful and look great as a group. Good job. :)

5Pointer
15-05-2009, 20:26
Avalon has some great tips for you. :) I like the nice clean cut tones, but he's right in his advice. Some quick dry brushing for highlights and some washes will take your models to the next level. For my gobbos' skin, I wash with Devlan Mud (brown) instead of the green or black. Just gives me an initially darker tone, then I can build it up with Goblin Green and finally Camo Green. For the spears, I'd go with a darker red (Scab Red) and reserve your blood red for the highlights. Wash with black before highlighting.

Not trying to be critical, just something to try out maybe if you want. Like I said, I like the look already. They look "alive" and colourful and look great as a group. Good job. :)

Thanks for the advice - and the kind words! Both will help keep this plog going ;)

One thing - and maybe it is my shoddy camera work, but I haven't used Blood Red on any of my models so far... all the red is plain old Mechrite Red... maybe I should use Scab with some sparingly applied Mechrite highlights.

I like the suggestion of a Devlan Mud wash on the skin, I'm redoing the Big Boss at the moment, so certainly something I'll give a try.

Crube
15-05-2009, 20:39
Looking good Mr 5pointer, Sir :D

On the subkect of green skin, I have just finished about 2000 points of Orks for a commission, and found a decent way to get good looking skin -

Orkhide shade
Knarloc Green
then watered down Goblin Green as a highlight
then watered down Goblin Green as a highlight again
then for command models etc, watered down Goblin Green and Bleached bone as a final extreme highlight.

Works for me.

Either that, or try throwing a different wash over what you have. A couple of thin washes of devlan mud may work wonders for a bit more of an earthy tone

Like the magic weapon - very smooth, and the second go at the black looks great - I have great problems woth painting black myself, so I may steal this bit ;)

5Pointer
24-05-2009, 18:23
http://www.angelx.talktalk.net/plog/ngob012.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I have managed to re-do Ziggy's robes, skin and squig. Think he's looking a lot better now, especially the robes!

I'm still fine-tuning his skin though, so this will probably not be the last you see of ol' Ziggy :)

Avalon
26-05-2009, 11:33
He's certainly looking better!

However, I advise you to try hard-edge highlighting next ;)
It's basically very fine, very stark highlighting on the edges of the model, i.e. the creases in the robes. According to WD you use very thin lines of codex grey + chaos black as your first highlight. Then you progress to pure codex grey over those old ones. As a final extreme highlight you have to use fortress grey. You should try these out on old models first, because it takes a while before you can get used to painting lines that are that fine. Even then you may have a few blotches here and there, but the applying the robe color over those errant parts should clear it up sufficiently.

Remember, these lines have to be very thin and sharp along the edges for it to look natural! ;)

In addition, you may want to highlight ther eyes with a lighter color around the bottom rim and/or with a dot of skull white in the top corner.

spetswalshe
26-05-2009, 15:42
Yeah is that a nice squig. Would you believe, my mum is an expert squig-painter and even she hasn't thought of using purple yet.

And Avalon seems to be on to a good idea, though personally I think I'll leave it to guys like you until I work out how to hold a brush without it shaking spasmodically all over the place first.

5Pointer
26-05-2009, 18:37
You should try these out on old models first, because it takes a while before you can get used to painting lines that are that fine.

Thanks again Avalon, guess I've got plenty of Spear and Archer Nightgobbos to practice on ;)

I'll try the eye suggestion too - when my hands are feeling a bit steadier!

Yeah is that a nice squig. Would you believe, my mum is an expert squig-painter and even she hasn't thought of using purple yet.

Thanks! I used purple 'cause I'd gone with purple mushrooms dotted around the shaman and the musicians and figured it was apt (all the fungi together!). I'm gonna go dark purple on my spiders for my spider riders too to help tie them into the stuff I've already painted, and of course when I eventually get to my squig hoppers they'll be purple too.

Weemo
26-05-2009, 21:04
nice stuff man, good progress, keep up thw ork ;)

Avalon
27-05-2009, 11:01
If I remember correctly the GW website has a great squig gallery. You may wanna get some inspiration from there ;)

It's under the Orcs and Gobbos articles list; i'm afraid I can't provide a link because it'd automatically redirect you to that blasted select-a-country page.