PDA

View Full Version : Can mages have magic armor?

Champion89
24-02-2009, 22:55
Yep title says it. Can they?
Magic Light Armor?
Magic Heavy Armor?
Magic Shields?

Spirit
24-02-2009, 22:58
If the mage has access to mundane armour in any shape or form, they may take magical armour.

So. A skink priest cannot take magical armour, as they cannot have mundane armour.

A vampire can take magical armour, as they have acess to it using certain vampire powers.

Note: You do not have to BUY the mundane armour to buy the magical version.

Necromancy Black
24-02-2009, 22:59
Only if they can have the mundane equivalent or there's a rule saying they can.

Champion89
24-02-2009, 23:01
okay thanks

WLBjork
25-02-2009, 06:44
It's a bit more specific than that.

Any character that does, or can, wear mundane armour may be given magic armour (note that a character who only has access to light armour can still wear magic heavy armour) or a magic helmet.

A character who has, or can take, a mundane shield may purchase a magic shield.

Edit: I knew I'd forget this: The usual caveat of "unless otherwise stated" applies!

Devon Harmon
25-02-2009, 06:53
A character who has, or can take, a mundane shield may purchase a magic shield.

Unless that character is a Chaos Sorceror/Sorceror Lord. They are able to purchase a magic shield, despite not being able to take a mundane shield.

Asmodiseus
25-02-2009, 06:56
Keep in mind that vampires do not need to have the avatar of death or dread night powers to purchase magic armor as the book specifically states they may do so. This is an exception to the normal rule.

stripsteak
25-02-2009, 15:14
Keep in mind that vampires do not need to have the avatar of death or dread night powers to purchase magic armor as the book specifically states they may do so. This is an exception to the normal rule.

oh wow i didn't even notice that line about that, why don't they write it with the vampire rules

siphon101
25-02-2009, 15:21
oh wow i didn't even notice that line about that, why don't they write it with the vampire rules

they do, right in the magic items section. Top line of the page says something to the effect of "vampires may always take magic armor. This includes magic shields"

Lord Malorne
25-02-2009, 15:24
Out of curiosity what page in the BRB says magic casters cannot wear armour?

loveless
25-02-2009, 15:26
Out of curiosity what page in the BRB says magic casters cannot wear armour?

It's in the magic items section. It doesn't say magic casters can't wear armour - it just says that you can't buy a piece of magic armour if you couldn't have mundane armour to begin with.

Harwammer
25-02-2009, 15:26
no where, its not a rule. Look in the magic item rules, it says if you have options for mundane armour you may take magic armour. If you have the option for a mundane shield you may take a magic shield.

Because generally mages can't take mundane armour they aren't allowed to take magic armour. This is a generalisation rather than a rule (think warrior sorcerors, BoC Tz casters, etc.)

EvC
25-02-2009, 15:27
No such page exists. Pages detailing that characters can take magic armour/ shields only if they are allowed to take normal armour/ shields can be found in the magic items section.

Edit: Glad to see everyone's on the ball :D

siphon101
25-02-2009, 15:31
OK, lemme restart a few things since people have been all answering the same question:

1) there is no rule that says magic users can not wear magic armor
2) the rule is a character must be allowed to take mundane armor to take magic armor, and take a mundane shield to take a magic shield. Since MOST mages in the game can't wear mundane armor, then, as a result of #1, they can't take magic armor either. This sometimes results in people thinking the rule is "mages can't wear armor", but this isn't a specific rule. MOST mages are not given the OPTION of taking mundane, and thus can't take magic either, however;
3) some mages can take mundane armor. Warrior priests, chaos sorcerers, and the like. In addition, any army book that specifically overrules the general rulebook is an exception. There's some debate over whether vampires can "normally take mundane armor" or not, however it's irrelevant as the vampire counts rulebook specifically states, all vampires can take magic armor.

The Old Scholar
25-02-2009, 15:35
Page 121 under "Magic Armour" it says at the end:

"This includes many kinds of Wizard whose natural magical harmony would be seriously affected by armour."

But it doesn't say, "No Wizard may ever wear armour of any sort ever ever never or else." It seems to be giving a reason through background rather than any specific rule. It is as everyone has said above, if the mundane is not available or there is a seperate rule--as in the case of Vampires--then you can't have a magic version.

EvC
25-02-2009, 16:55
P.S. Warrior Priests aint Mages :D

siphon101
25-02-2009, 17:04
P.S. Warrior Priests aint Mages :D

they cast spells and generate dispel dice. Survey says...mages! :p

loveless
25-02-2009, 17:13

...but they don't have the "Magic" rule...

chivalrous
25-02-2009, 18:02

Please, please, please can we not have this debate here!:(

Neckutter
25-02-2009, 18:07

they arent mages. and they dont cast spells. they get to pick a bound spell that goes off at a static number.

casting spells involves rolling power dice, and consulting a chart of magic spells to see if you met the requirement for casting.

OPL yes SOME mages can have armor/magical armor. it is outlined in the appropriate armybook(s).

Dokushin
25-02-2009, 18:33
Seriously, guys, if we have the Warrior Priest wizard debate in here I'm going to kill myself. With fire. It's so bad that even though I feel like the answer is obvious and can be argued explicitly I'm going to refrain from even mentioning it because I don't want to egg it on. Look elsewhere.

Anyway, on topic, was the rule the same in 6th? Weren't mages prohibited from wearing magic armor period? Or was it the same?

stripsteak
25-02-2009, 19:25
i believe the old rule, and someone correct me if i am wrong. was that wizards were able to wear armor, but if they did they couldn't cast.

Coram_Boy
25-02-2009, 19:32
I guess that was for if you had a scroll caddy, and knew you'd never get anything off. Seems a bit pointless today.

Spirit
26-02-2009, 11:03

My saurus oldblood can cast steed of shadows. He must be a mage now.

:)

Necromancy Black
26-02-2009, 12:12
My saurus oldblood can cast steed of shadows. He must be a mage now.

:)

No cause bound spell items specifically say they don't make the user count as a wizard.

This arguement is old, but useless as every single wizard in the game is either said to be so or has a rule saying they are. Expect OK which really need and update.

WP are not wizards and can not take arcane items.

EvC
26-02-2009, 12:15
That must be why they removed the Spawning of Tepok, so that wiseguys couldn't say "my Oldblood can cast Steed of Shadows and generates dispel dice- is he a wizard????" :D