PDA

View Full Version : slayer confusion

ogdon
25-02-2009, 12:23
Hello warseerers

I have been collecting warhammer all my life, however I only recently got my act together to start collecting the army I have always wanted, upon building a regiment of slayers for my dwarf army I became very confused about their rules. when salyers go into combat you can choose if you want to arm them with either a great weapon or two hand weapons.This seems to be a great talent, however I can not work out why you would choose to arm them with great weapons, as there strenghth moves equal to the toughness of there opponent (due to the slayer skill rule, up to a toughness of 6) and that includes the +2 strenght of the great weapon. surely you would ony ever arm them with two hand weapons as you gain an extra attack and still gain a strength bonus if your apponents toughness is higher, and even if you are fighting weaker opponents you would also still opt for two hand weapons as they will be easy to wound anyway and you gain double the amount of attacks. Please please could some body help me with this problem.

siphon101
25-02-2009, 12:39
Hello warseerers

I have been collecting warhammer all my life, however I only recently got my act together to start collecting the army I have always wanted, upon building a regiment of slayers for my dwarf army I became very confused about their rules. when salyers go into combat you can choose if you want to arm them with either a great weapon or two hand weapons.This seems to be a great talent, however I can not work out why you would choose to arm them with great weapons, as there strenghth moves equal to the toughness of there opponent (due to the slayer skill rule, up to a toughness of 6) and that includes the +2 strenght of the great weapon. surely you would ony ever arm them with two hand weapons as you gain an extra attack and still gain a strength bonus if your apponents toughness is higher, and even if you are fighting weaker opponents you would also still opt for two hand weapons as they will be easy to wound anyway and you gain double the amount of attacks. Please please could some body help me with this problem.

I'm pretty sure the BASE strength becomes equal to toughness, and does not include the bonus for a great weapon...you sure about that?

Ivan Stupidor
25-02-2009, 13:15
I'm pretty sure the BASE strength becomes equal to toughness, and does not include the bonus for a great weapon...you sure about that?

It's including modifiers for weapons - second sentence of the "Slayer" rule.

The great axes come into play when facing T3, good Armour Save opponents like human or elf infantry with heavy armour + shield or heavy cavalry. Once you get to T4, I'm fairly sure the only people worth using the great axe on are Chaos Knights. T5 or higher, two weapons every time.

Harwammer
25-02-2009, 13:17
Against low toughness, high armour things (such as human knights or whatever) great weapons are better

Asmodiseus
25-02-2009, 13:24
It is confusing. Basicly you here is how it breaks down

Slayer Against Opponents with 2 hand weapons

Toughness 1 = Str 3, 2s to wound
T2 = Str 3, 3s to wound
T3 = Str3, 4s to wound
T4 = Str 4, 4s to wound
T5 = Str 5, 4s to wound
T6 = Str 6, 4s to wound
T7 = Str 6, 5s to wound

Now the same slayer with a great weapon

T1 = Str 5, 2s to wound
T2 = Str 5, 2s to wound
T3 = Str 5, 2s to wound
T4 = Str 5, 3s to wound
T5 = Str 5, 4s to wound
T6 = Str 6, 4s to wound
T7 =Str 6, 4s to wound

So basicly the great weapon is there to ensure the slayer can easily wound toughness 2, 3, and 4 models

siphon101
25-02-2009, 13:45
It's including modifiers for weapons - second sentence of the "Slayer" rule.

The great axes come into play when facing T3, good Armour Save opponents like human or elf infantry with heavy armour + shield or heavy cavalry. Once you get to T4, I'm fairly sure the only people worth using the great axe on are Chaos Knights. T5 or higher, two weapons every time.

wait I remember now, isn't the rule that slayer S equals target T unless their S would already be higher?

So with a slayer s3 +2 for great weapons, it's useful for anything lower than T5.

Which is the bulk of most armies...

ogdon
25-02-2009, 13:54
thanks guys thats awesome, its a really hard call though isnt it? like you guys say its a really hard call to make, you kinda got to have a good think about it. can i run something else by you guysits * the master rune of kragg the grim* its rules are that it allows the great weapon to retain its normal abilities (+2 strength, strike last) I find it hard to find the purpous for this rune, but i belive it to be tied into the slayer rules some how. it says if a slayer is using a rune axe he may only ever use his run axe when going into combat generally as a hand weapon but possibly as a great weapon if it has the master rune of kragg the grim. this also confuses me, any thoughts?

Asmodiseus
25-02-2009, 14:01
Normally when you inscribe a weapon with a Rune it loses all its normal benifits, basicly this rune is the only way to make a magical Great Weapon, if you inscribe a great weapon with another rune and do not include the rune of kragg then it becomes a magical hand weapon.

siphon101
25-02-2009, 14:02
thanks guys thats awesome, its a really hard call though isnt it? like you guys say its a really hard call to make, you kinda got to have a good think about it. can i run something else by you guysits * the master rune of kragg the grim* its rules are that it allows the great weapon to retain its normal abilities (+2 strength, strike last) I find it hard to find the purpous for this rune, but i belive it to be tied into the slayer rules some how. it says if a slayer is using a rune axe he may only ever use his run axe when going into combat generally as a hand weapon but possibly as a great weapon if it has the master rune of kragg the grim. this also confuses me, any thoughts?

the reason this is, is because whenever you put a rune on a weapon, it loses its properties. Give a great weapon a rune of flaming attacks, it's now a hand weapon with flaming attacks.

This rune works in conjunction with other runes, and allows you to put other runes on a great weapon, while still keeping it functioning like a great weapon

ogdon
25-02-2009, 14:17
Guys you are awesome. I am so glad i joined this site. thankyou so so so much you really have been very helpfull. its wonderfull to gain help from players all around the globe, thankyou guys.

Dal Dawi Karak (old dwarfs endure)

Ivan Stupidor
25-02-2009, 15:40
wait I remember now, isn't the rule that slayer S equals target T unless their S would already be higher?

So with a slayer s3 +2 for great weapons, it's useful for anything lower than T5.

Which is the bulk of most armies...

Don't forget that if a Slayer doesn't use his great weapon, he uses two axes. Unless you really need that -2 to armour saves, two attacks wounding on 4+ is better than one attack wounding on 2+ or 3+.

ogdon
25-02-2009, 17:23
yeah, the great weapon is for low toughness high armoured opponenets, because remember, strength goes up anyway, even with hand weapons, just really depends who you are fighting.