PDA

View Full Version : red fury and challenges

Da_Viking
25-02-2009, 15:40
I was playing a game the other day and this situation occured.

Vampire with red fury in a challenge with a Pheonix Guard Champion (other wise the mage would be dead)

The PG misses completely

The Vampire strikes and causes 3 wounds. PG is dead.

Now the Vampire has 3 more attacks.

Against whom are they allocated? Can they be allocated against the unit? Or do I continue to atack the PG and get more Overkill CR?

Modaavi
25-02-2009, 15:41
The remaining attacks are also directed at the champ for additional overkill.

siphon101
25-02-2009, 15:41
Champ for overkill purposes.

siphon101
25-02-2009, 15:43
Though here is a red fury question of my own. Let's say you're vampire is in a challenge with a character on a mount. You do 4 wounds to the mount, killing it, generating 4 more attacks.

Can they be directed at the character now?

Modaavi
25-02-2009, 15:46
You can direct the additional attacks per the normal rules, so yes you could elect to attack the character vs the mount.

siphon101
25-02-2009, 16:13
You can direct the additional attacks per the normal rules, so yes you could elect to attack the character vs the mount.

Nice, I have a 3500 game coming up, I'm thinking I'm going to have a flying lord with red fury and frostblade.

Character kill he be...especially since, under the literal reading of the new rules, If I kill a 3 wound hero with a frostblade, but make 3 attacks, doesn't it count as causing 6 wounds?

Modaavi
25-02-2009, 16:20
Sure does. :)

Each kill with the Frostblade in a challenge awards all the characters remaining wounds, so a good chance at max overkill every time.

siphon101
25-02-2009, 16:25
Sure does. :)

Each kill with the Frostblade in a challenge awards all the characters remaining wounds, so a good chance at max overkill every time.

but hypothetically, here's a problem. Let's say I have frostblade and red fury, against a 3 wound model, in a challenge.

I do 3 wounds on my initial round of attacks. My first wound does 3 wounds for CR (he has 3 wounds left), my secound does 2 (3-1 I inflicted) and my 3rd does 1 (for his last remaining)

However for my bonus attacks due to red fury, it becomes somewhat irrelevant if I have the frostblade or not, since the model has already had his wounds reduced to 0 as a result of me wounding him 3 times, any further wounds would just be a +1 overkill?

EvC
25-02-2009, 16:53
I've been using Lord with Red Fury for a year now (I wonder when our anniversary is?), and one thing that occured to me the other week, is that in a challenge, while additional wounds are counted for overkill purposes, they are not actually caused (The rules do state this, before anyone disagrees). Thus, if your Red Fury Lord is fighting a regular run-of-the-mill champion in a challenge and deals 4 wounds to the enemy champion, then you have only actually caused one wound, and as such should only gain one additional attack [to cause even more overkill on the enemy champion], instead of four.

I expect people to disagree. Vampires with Dreadlance and Red Fury need all the help they can get, after all ;)

siphon101
25-02-2009, 17:05
I've been using Lord with Red Fury for a year now (I wonder when our anniversary is?), and one thing that occured to me the other week, is that in a challenge, while additional wounds are counted for overkill purposes, they are not actually caused (The rules do state this, before anyone disagrees). Thus, if your Red Fury Lord is fighting a regular run-of-the-mill champion in a challenge and deals 4 wounds to the enemy champion, then you have only actually caused one wound, and as such should only gain one additional attack [to cause even more overkill on the enemy champion], instead of four.

I expect people to disagree. Vampires with Dreadlance and Red Fury need all the help they can get, after all ;)

depends, how do rules count overkill, as wounds caused or no? No book in front of me so am not sure.

EldarBishop
25-02-2009, 17:52
The overkill rules on pg 77 clearly state that, the overkill wounds are NOT inflicted.

Asmodiseus
25-02-2009, 19:26
but hypothetically, here's a problem. Let's say I have frostblade and red fury, against a 3 wound model, in a challenge.

I do 3 wounds on my initial round of attacks. My first wound does 3 wounds for CR (he has 3 wounds left), my secound does 2 (3-1 I inflicted) and my 3rd does 1 (for his last remaining)

However for my bonus attacks due to red fury, it becomes somewhat irrelevant if I have the frostblade or not, since the model has already had his wounds reduced to 0 as a result of me wounding him 3 times, any further wounds would just be a +1 overkill?

Thats not how you would do it. You would do it just like 3 KB attacks so each wound you inflict with frostblade counts as 3 CR if the character had 3 wounds at the start of combat.

And EVC is correct you only get an additional attack for inflicted wounds, and it states that overkill wounds are not inflicted.

WLBjork
26-02-2009, 04:24

Try the Vampire Q&A. :p

Second question under "Vampiric Powers" on page 3.

When a Vampire with Red Fury automatically kills an enemy model, he gains one additional attack for each wound remaining on the slain model's profile.

EvC
26-02-2009, 12:13
Not sure you quoted the right post there...

WLBjork
27-02-2009, 07:05
Oh... bother.

Saw 4W, missed that it was a 1W champ.

I really ought to not do this in 30 mins whilst I breakfast before work, but that's the only time I get on the site...