PDA

View Full Version : New to Lizardmen, first list

SamChaosInc
25-02-2009, 18:56
Hey guys I'd appreciate any help I can get on this. I'll be playing against VC and Woodelves mostly. Having scanned these forums for ideas, here's where I'm at (for 1500pts)

Heroes
Skink Priest Lvl 2 in EotG's = 390
Skink Priest Lvl 2 = 100

Core
Skink Skirmishers x 10 = 70
Saurus Warriors + spears & f/c = 246

Special
Terradons x 4 = 120
Chameleon Skinks x 10 = 120

This is currently at 1116, with 384 left.

I'm stuck for the last few points, I think the weakest part thus far is the core so I was thinking another 18 spear saurus, then maybe 3 more terradons and some magic items, or something like that.

I'm still not convinced on the usefulness of SKrox units.

Cheers for reading!

Bac5665
25-02-2009, 19:09
Get rid of the cham skinks for your second unit of terridons and add in salamanders and maybe a normal steg. If the steg is too much, more saurus and maybe a scar vet are all good options. But the salamanders are much better than they were, and most people thing they were broken before.

SamChaosInc
25-02-2009, 19:18
Cheers for the reply. I was looking into Salamanders, but as VC are immune to psychology (avoids the panic tests) and as a lot of the wood elves skirmish (reduces template hits) I had felt the points were better spent elsewhere.

As for the chameleons, my logic was that they get shooting right off the bat with the scouting ability, and they serve as even more march blocking on top of the terradons.

In the VC games I am expecting the saurus blocks to get charged, so it would be good to have some flanking units that negate ranks, though I'm not keen on SKrox as I think they give away too much CR, so I might add a unit of Krox instead of the 2nd terradons or something. I'm still pretty unsure on most of the list really!

SamChaosInc
25-02-2009, 20:01
I've just realised that this should be in the Army lists part of the forum, only just noticed it. Could someone with administrative access move it? Apologies.

Bac5665
25-02-2009, 21:14
Salies are great against VC!! Sure, VC don't panic, but they specialize in 20mm RnF infantry. You'll kill 7-10 per salamander on a good hit. 3 salamanders will absolutely destroy any VC unit in one turn. Sure they can be brought back, but when were talking 10-30 wounds a turn, that will make a huge dent really fast. They're also flaming, which is critical against Grave Guard, making salamanders even better against VC. Take them.

As to cham skinks, they will almost never get to shoot turn 1. With the terrain and placement rules being what they are, I can't remember the last time I saw scouts deploy somewhere where they could get close on turn 1. Most opponents will put units close to terrain whenever possible, and generally, if a piece of terrain is far enough away for you to hide there, it's to far away to shoot from on turn 1. Sure they can march block, but so can terradons, and terradons have other, better uses as well.

Spirit
25-02-2009, 21:41
This is exactly the same list i run give or take a couple.

Add another stegadon, just a regular run of the mill special choice.

And 1 salamander.

Im also toying with the idea of running a scar veteran with bsb and the jaguar pendant instead of the mage. bound pwr lvl 5 is the same as 2 power dice really, but it gives you a very hitty character than can fly-charge to support any stegadon that doesnt manage to break a unit. Very usefull, and the Bsb means youl never run... ever..

give the mage a third spell (remember he only gets 2 even on the steg) and the charm that gives you a 2+ ward save vs the first wound suffered. this means you can charge the S6 ancient without fear of the skink getting challenged and killed (not that much will stand up to 3 S6 attacks but its a just incase)

Loq-Gor
25-02-2009, 22:05
Salies are great against VC!! Sure, VC don't panic, but they specialize in 20mm RnF infantry. You'll kill 7-10 per salamander on a good hit. 3 salamanders will absolutely destroy any VC unit in one turn. Sure they can be brought back, but when were talking 10-30 wounds a turn, that will make a huge dent really fast. They're also flaming, which is critical against Grave Guard, making salamanders even better against VC. Take them.

Also you'll find that vamps pretty quickly clog the board with units. Which means two things one you can't help but hit, two you need to thin their ranks and two skink priests will only dispel ION so many times a turn. Plus even at S3 sallies will waste black knights at an alarming rate (I have found this also applies to Blood Knights but they fall even faster to a couple of Razordons, gotta love mandatory charges). If your concerned about not causing panic then no shooters make sense. I'd add them and some anti-magic, but a more combat oriented character wouldn't go amiss either, even a magic heavy vamp will beat down most things in your list. 384 is more than enough for a couple of sallies and an awesome scar-vet, plus a dispel scroll or two.

sroblin
26-02-2009, 00:18
I agree that ranged support unit seems appropriate at this point.
Also, there must be a magic item or two that would help out your skink priests.

I think that and another unit of sauruses would be the solidest major choice with the remaining points; you've got only one sturdy infantry block and an EOG that you don't want fighting protracted combats with; it's good to have an additional anchor around which to control the battlefield.

I suppose Kroxigors, or a Kroxi+skink doubleteam unit might be an options to consider as well in a similar capacity, though if you don't like them then the sauruses should be reliable enough.

Heinrich Jäger
26-02-2009, 01:21
I would go with another priest, with a cube, or something. I find the VC's will punish you with tons of magic if you have no counter.

Rand0mw0rds
26-02-2009, 03:38
Does the wood elf player run mostly Tree Spirts or a lot of shooting?

Lot's of skinks are good but if the WE player is running 40 glade guard he is going to shred your skinks before they can get close enough to fire back. Another Saurus block I think would possibly be a good choice, although salamanders are never a bad thing.

SamChaosInc
26-02-2009, 09:02
Thanks for all the replies guys, I've taken all of that on board, and the following (almost complete) list is what I've arrived at. I've added 2 salamanders (which for the wood elf games I'd probably switch for razordons, as they have less armour to deal with, are almost all immune to pysch and skirmish). I've put another 18 spear saurus in and a couple of magic items (following advice given).

The one thing I'd like to do is ditch 17 points worth of stuff for somewhere, drop a terradon from the current unit and add in one more unit of 3, giving better march block radius, more rocks to drop, and causing more general hassle. The battle standard idea is also a good one, as bsb + cold blooded will give me a solid start against all the fear tests ill be taking, but would cost 110 for a scar vet + bsb, meaning losing more points.

Your thoughts would be appreciated once again!

Army list as it stands now -

Heroes
with Amulet of Itzl (2+ ward vs first wound) = 30
Skink Priest Lvl 2 = 100
with Diadem = 25

Core

Special
Terradons x 4 = 120

Rare
2 x Salamander + 1 crew each = 160

This is currently at 1457, with 43 left.

Does the wood elf player run mostly Tree Spirts or a lot of shooting?

Lot's of skinks are good but if the WE player is running 40 glade guard he is going to shred your skinks before they can get close enough to fire back. Another Saurus block I think would possibly be a good choice, although salamanders are never a bad thing.

He runs a treeman, a couple of units of dryads, a couple of units of wardancers and the rest changes a fair bit. Not too much shooting, maybe 10 glade guard and 5 fast cavalry.

SteelTitan
26-02-2009, 09:16
Off course a BSB is very useful but remember it lets you reroll break tests, not fear tests! Any smart VC player will try to outnumber you (especially seeing that your largest unit is 18, thus not hard to outnumber) and will thus autobreak you (outnumbered by fear causing enemy) if you lose...so your BSB will be useless in that case. So im not entirely sure whether i would want one in 1500 points.
Id rather spend my points elsewhere, like adding a scar vet to boost the CC punch of one of my units maybe. I personally really like the combi "spear saurus + scar vet with sword of the hornet". You get charged, scar vet kills a bunch (attacks first), decreases attacks from enemy, and then you chop them up with your spears.

I wouldnt bother with the extra skink handler with your sallies. It hardly ever happened to me that all handlers were eaten. Save yourself a few measly points there. You have 6 now, should suffice.

kroq'gar
26-02-2009, 09:21
Before i suggest anything, what kind of army are you trying to field (from the looks a heavy skink list)

Spirit
26-02-2009, 11:05
I would go with another priest, with a cube, or something. I find the VC's will punish you with tons of magic if you have no counter.

And then he will punish the vampire with S5 no armour save laserbeams.

And anyway, just place some terradons 1" behind his units, then he cant raise any.

SteelTitan
26-02-2009, 11:09
isnt that extremely lame to do?

kroq'gar
26-02-2009, 11:11
isnt that extremely lame to do?

Yes. Unless they are regenerating wights, then its fair play.

EDIT: assuming your opponent lacks the brain power to move two inches forward they deserve it.

SteelTitan
26-02-2009, 11:14
hahahaha that made me laugh...very true about the moving part!

Why is it allowed to do it with wights? I am about to start up VC again but...

kroq'gar
26-02-2009, 11:18
Vamps are fine- the only real prblem is incantation raising d6. My group houseruled it to d3 and the list works very well. Its still powerful, but you cant raise FASTER than can be destroyed (what... t4 with a 3+cc save and possible regen.... plus you have KB for any character that dare come near with flaming... oh and corpse carts for ASF....)

SteelTitan
26-02-2009, 11:27
hmm that sounds like a nice little unit for me to field >:-) haha sorry couldnt help myself!

Btw i love your signature about the LM book, omg thats hilarious! :D

kroq'gar
26-02-2009, 11:31
mmmm when using my friends army i also accidently came up with HE killer extraudineer for a second wight unit... banner of barrows, night shroud & tomb blade.... 3s hit, 5+KB and your ASF against them...

And as to the LM book... well i first thought it online whining, but when i read the para in the slann... sheesh just pay for spellcheck damnit.

SamChaosInc
26-02-2009, 13:12
Army list as it stands now -

Heroes
with Plaque of Tepok (+1 spell) = 15
Skink Priest Lvl 2 = 100
with Diadem = 25
Scar Vet on cold one + shield & light armour = 113
with Sword of the Hornet = 25

Core
11 Skink Skirmishers = 77
10 Skink Skirmishers = 70
16 Saurus Warriors + spears & musician/std bearer = 210
18 Saurus Warriors + spears & musician/std bearer = 234

Special
3 Terradons = 90

Rare
2 Salamanders = 150

Total = 1499

I ditched the 2+ first wound ward on the priest, removed 1 terradon, removed champions from both units of saurus (2 attacks each fighting in 2 ranks makes for enough attacks, even after potential casualties) and added a cold one riding, hornet wielding scar vet to negate the inevitable fear test and give the scar vet a silly save and added a single skink.

I think I'm pretty happy with the list, bar losing the 2+ ward, but some play testing will allow me to decide what to keep and what to ditch.

Spirit
26-02-2009, 15:19
I dont think you need the diadem of power.

If you have 2 mages, you want them to do something in your magic phase, so thats 7 power dice, not too bad.

Losing 2 of them for dispell dice means you are spending one hell of a lot of points to get 5 power dice.

Either have one mage and go magic defence (diadem + scroll on steg) or have two and use them to boost your army, 5 dispell dice in 1500 points is usually enough imo.

Other than that all i can think of is add some spare handlers to your salamanders, 6 may seem like a lot, but if you lose a couple to shooting/magic then all it will take is one unlucky misfire and the unit will collapse.

Also the rod of power can be a god send, get them to use all their dice then blast the nearest 2+ save unit to oblivion.

If you were to go magic defence, the points you save could easily go on a BsB scar veteren (infact, i would suggest making your current scar veteran a bsb, the re roll far outweighs 12" LD8) providing both yor block units with punch and the re-rollable break tests making them very tough to crack.

SamChaosInc
26-02-2009, 16:25
Spirit, fair point. I'll switch the diadem for the rod vs VC and for the BSB vs Wood Elves (the armies my mate plays, and he's pretty much the only person i play).