PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on Beastmen of Tzeentch and Slaanesh

Desalbert
25-02-2009, 19:58
Hey everyone! As some of you probably know, I'm slowly going to start a Beasts of Chaos force, and am making the most basic purchases soon (2 core, 1 hero) Anyway, I know that there's a new book coming soon, but I'm curious as to whether I should dedicate my army to Tzeentch or Slaanesh...

Tzeentch is what I'm leaning, but I do wonder how I could make my herds *look* Tzeentch-ish... I mean, with slaanesh, a more pink tone to their flesh might just do it..But what about Tzeentch? Purple or blue tints would just be odd, because I do want to go for a more-realistic colouring of them... (Not so many reds, or dark dark blacks, but more fleshes, browns...) So what can I do to represent a Tzeentch herd?

As well, fluff-wise, I figure Beastmen would be pre-disposed to seeing Tzeentch as their creator, considering that he is the Lord of Change, and they only exist due to that change... ("and in the darkness of the forest, man became beast and beast became man") So, a Tzeentch herd would, as I see it, battle for the honour of their creator. Their father.

BUT, I'm also intrigued by Slaanesh, as I could see the Beasts embracing their new life and power and existing only to expirience the pleasures of their former forms (or of mankind, who they have always envied; whatever the case is)... so, Rape, pillaging, alcohol and such. Thus, fluff-wise, I think a Slaanesh band of beasts would be more self-centered and self-serving, raiding for prizes, sex, self-pride etc... So that interests me.

Blah, sorry, I rambled quite a bit, but what I'm really after is some commentary on some of these thoughts to see if I'm on the right track with their motivations (as a new Chaos player) and to help me with some painting advice, namely, how to keep a fleshy natural look, with dedications apparent

Many many thanks-- I appreciate those who took the time to read my spilling and messy thoughts.

All the best.
Des

Harwammer
25-02-2009, 20:24
Orange skin, blue fur looks fantastic for tzeentch beastmen.

Pale pink skin with black/brown fur is nice on slaanesh.

Lowmans
25-02-2009, 20:33
Hi Desalbert,

Always nice to see new Beasties player! My Beastmen are all Tzeentchian themed. I painted the fur Necron Abyss and highlighted up to Enchanted Blue. The skin bits I took as Bestial brown highlighted up to Desert Yellow and gave a flesh wash. The Warhounds I've done similarly.

For my chariots I went for a similar blue wood with a blue wash to pull the grain out a little.
My Chaos Ogres I painted up with similar blue skin and painted up the armoured sections to burnished gold with a final mithril silver highlight.

I'm going for a snow base with a little earth here and there, this gives a nice contrast and is 'Chaos Wastey'!

I'm not a great painter by a (very) long way but I have been told the army looks well. :)

This is far from the only way to do it, I'm sure there'll be more experienced people who can help!?

L

Tohellweride
25-02-2009, 21:09
In the BoC army book they give a nice example paint job of a Tz gor. I used that as a basis for my own Tz herd. For the more elite troops and characters i have painted gold armour as it makes them stand out from the rank and file a little while still tying them in.
To put it bluntly a yellow-brown skin and the fur with a blue highlight has worked well for me. Dont go too extreme with either and i think you will get the natural look you talked about while still looking exotic enough to mark them out.

rogueTrader
25-02-2009, 21:29
You can keep the same general flesh tones and color's. Paint any rag's they are wearing blue or yellow. What I've been wanting to do lately is take a few of the Chaos Spawn models and use them as spare parts to give the beast herds tenticles, tails, claws, etc. To make them look more changed/mutated.

iaguz
26-02-2009, 07:00
Well, in terms of army effectiveness going for an undivided general is probably your best bet.

As far as Marked units go, Tzeentch chariots rock for cheap as free power dice. Slaaneshi spawn are good because they are more reliable with their movement. And that's about it really.

ChaosVC
26-02-2009, 08:07
Everytime I see the word Beast I think Breast...is it just me or does everyone else have the same problem...must be the Slanneshi in me playing trick on me.

rodmillard
27-02-2009, 03:37
For Tzaangor yelow fur with blue/imperial purple rags works quite well. I have also seen a really cool Tzeentch army where, instead of sacred colours, the marked beastmen were painted in some of the whackier animal prints (the zebra patterned centigor unit are still my personal favourite, although the leopard-skinned Doombull also rocked).

Bear in mind that (if daemons and warriors are anything to go by) the new BoC book will move away from mono-cult armies, with polytheistic armies being the "typical" build. That being the case, an undivided army with heavy tzeentch/slaanesh elements may be the best way to go.

Desalbert
28-02-2009, 16:12
Bear in mind that (if daemons and warriors are anything to go by) the new BoC book will move away from mono-cult armies, with polytheistic armies being the "typical" build. That being the case, an undivided army with heavy tzeentch/slaanesh elements may be the best way to go.

That's a really good point actually; I can see you being dead-on there. Hm, maybe I won't commit quite yet to just doing one God, but maybe just have a Beastlord with a mark of Tzeentch, and a Brayshaman with a slaanesh mark, whilst the ''rank and file'' beastmen are far less declarative of such things... Just a thought though, I may still go mono.

Thanks a lot everyone!

LaughinGremlin
28-02-2009, 17:27
Personally, I'd stay away from the orange skin, blue fur, etc.
Paint them as normal beastmen who, like the ancient celts, paint blue symbols / bands / etc. on their faces, arms and chests using indigo.

For Slaanesh, the expensive purple dye from snails could be adornment in similar fashion.

Thematically, Slaaneshi beastmen make sense -- there's nothing more scary then a herd rip-roaring through your village, raping, pillaging, and raping some more...

rodmillard
01-03-2009, 00:17
Thematically, Slaaneshi beastmen make sense -- there's nothing more scary then a herd rip-roaring through your village, raping, pillaging, and raping some more...

Any army that attacks your village to steal the women and rape the sheep deserves respect...

Danny_D14
01-03-2009, 00:39
Rodmillard @ You broke my LOLometer. Have my babies.

zoggin-eck
01-03-2009, 09:30
Depends on how much you like to convert? For Tzeentch you could model some feathers into the fur (quite easy really) and perhaps even make the faces into beaks (the basic mouth shape for the closed mouths look a little like beaks to begin with).

I ended up sculpting in some mutations, looking a bit like the horror models, with the fur/skin tone blending into blues, pinks etc. Shields and banners got the whole "cut off the front of spare faces and skulls and add greenstuff to make them coming out of (sheild/banner) treatment" :)

Even something as simple as making the eyes seem to glow would make a difference.

LaughinGremlin's idea of the warpaint is cool too, you don't see enough warpaint on beastmen

mrtn
01-03-2009, 10:26
I've converted a few of my beastmen with extra arms and tentacles and such.
I too would wait for the new armybook before going mono-god, compared to the new multi god WoC and DoC.
The Herdstone (http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?act=idx) is the best army specific forum out there, and is waiting for it's 3000th member to sign up. :)

Mireadur
01-03-2009, 11:29
Any army that attacks your village to steal the women and rape the sheep deserves respect...

hhahaha nice =)

iaguz
01-03-2009, 11:54
Remember, a Tzeentch general means you cannot pick non-tzeentch marks for your characters. Read the (kinda oppressive really) rules for Marks And Your Army.

Harwammer
01-03-2009, 14:08
Remember, a Tzeentch general means you cannot pick non-tzeentch marks for your characters. Read the (kinda oppressive really) rules for Marks And Your Army.

Lies, you can still pick undivided; it is technically a mark :D

When people are saying mark mixing limitations will be removed I think they are refering to the new book that is being 'worked on' :rolleyes:. They are making the (reasonable) assumption that mark mixing limitations will be largely removed, just like what happened for the new DoC/WoC books.