PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Guard or White Lions

Champion89
26-02-2009, 00:29
Which do you think is better? I know where I stand, but I wanna hear some other opinions.

decker_cky
26-02-2009, 01:15
Depends what you want them for...

Bac5665
26-02-2009, 01:48
I put phoenix guard just cause I think they're more useful, but both have their uses and are quite good. Phoenix Guard are better are an anvil but White Lions are better for an MSU list.

Edit: 500th post!

Emeraldw
26-02-2009, 03:22
I use White Lions at 2 x 7. I find them great for destroying cavalry. Go Str 6 ASF :D

Phoenix guard are just tough, but I prefer going for firepower over tough so I take white lions.

fubukii
26-02-2009, 07:17
phoenix guard overal, but lions have other uses.

W0lf
26-02-2009, 09:13
lions for sure :O

I cant get how peoplelike the guard.. they suck. 1 S4 attack for elite infantry @ 15 ts a pop? They hit worse then HE spearmen...

15 pt infantry arnt good for static combat res which is the PG role.

havoc626
26-02-2009, 09:43
I think the main reason that so many people like them is the 4+ Ward. Which is why I'd use them over White Lions. But that's just me, as I play more defensive armies when it comes to the elite ones.

Fhoen
26-02-2009, 11:11
i like to play a bit more aggressive , so i'd go for the lions , being able to go trough woods with no penalty is like a huge advantage for small flanking units with nice hitting power

kroq'gar
26-02-2009, 11:12
ws5 st 6 asf.... lions... then again, the number of times i've seen pheonix make 14
4+wards...

From a frequent oppoenents PoV i prefer lions, whilst they've definately smashed some of my regiments they are much funner to face - they move, fight, hold. As far as it goes i think they are better fun for both sides (les 6th ed static).

EDIT: and i miss my pheonix oppening blade of realities... *sigh*

decker_cky
26-02-2009, 16:31
Phoenix guard cause fear too...I'd consider that and the move through woods about equally useful (both are very useful, one for mobility and protection, the other because fear causing opponents are so common these days). White lions are much less resilient, except against small arms fire (they're the same against S3 non-AP shooting). Lions hit harder and are stubborn (and ASF + hitting harder probably makes them equally resilient in combat).

So really....both have uses. I'd give the edge to white lions, but PG have better models, and still are quite solid.

Desert Rain
26-02-2009, 16:50
Both are solid choices, the Phoenix Guard is an excellent defensive anvil unit. It can take huge amounts of damage and still survive. They need help from other units to reliably break most enemies though. Fear is a great boost to them as well.

White Lions are better all around, not as defensive as the PG and not as offensve as the swordmasters. Their stubborn rule and S6 is what makes them good.

Personally I prefer the guard, they are reliable and have amazing models.

isidril93
26-02-2009, 17:09
and its a tie!!!! (at least for now)

i prefer white lion, since high elves' primary role is that of killing

innerwolf
26-02-2009, 17:17
White lions are much less resilient, except against small arms fire (they're the same against S3 non-AP shooting).

Against S 3 non-AP shooting White Lions are in fact better. They have a 3+ armour save.

Disciple of Caliban
26-02-2009, 17:29
I slightly favour white lions, the sheer killing power of S6 ASF is just awesome (if you can find a worthy target, if you end up fighting spear wielding goblins it seems a little redundant :( ). That said pheonix guard make a great anvil, there arent many units that benefit from a 4+ ward, and they really can take some punishment (with a little luck) the problem is that they just dont hit hard enough.

What you really need is both!! let the pheonix guard get charged, counter charge with the white lions, everyones a winner!

semersonp
26-02-2009, 17:40
trick question!

swordmasters

decker_cky
26-02-2009, 17:47
Against S 3 non-AP shooting White Lions are in fact better. They have a 3+ armour save.

Calculate the difference between a 3+ armour save and a 5+ armour save and a 4+ ward save when there's no modifiers. ;)

*Hint: They're the same.*

sroblin
27-02-2009, 00:08
Phoenix Guard aren't acutally bad, but White Lions are more versatile and cost less.

Why cost less? Well, an effective Phoenix Guard unit costs a minimum of around 250 for 15 models and a standard, but really 20 is preferrable. An effective White Lion unit can easily be made of 7-12 White Lions, for the same point cost per model.

Versatile: Phoenix Guard are excellent anvils, yes, but can't kill much with their attacks. Meanwhile, with stubborn, the White Lions are a lot better on the defensive than Phoenix Guard are on the offense.

Jericho
27-02-2009, 00:20
Lions. The PG have a lot of funky rules, some of them pretty damn good too, but ASF with S6, Stubborn, moving through woods, similar protection vs. shooting... it all adds up in a hurry. Lions look better IMO as well :)

<edit> There's a couple of banners which make WL tough nuts to crack. Standard of Balance and the Lion Standard I think they're called? I fought a Chrace-themed armies and the big blocks were both immune to fear/terror. Annoying stuff :p </edit>

Dungeon_Lawyer
27-02-2009, 02:15
Yeah I like Lions too, phoenix are kind of vanilla, though that 4+ is nice.

Best would be to take both!

Champion89
27-02-2009, 02:32
trick question!

swordmasters

Aww You got me. :eek:
Only one gets it right. Haha just kidding I just wanted to see the the majority lies. IMO Lions are a little better, but they each have there place in an army.

Lions look better IMO as well :)

Really? I think they look kind of lame, at least with the color choice found in the HE army book.

innerwolf
27-02-2009, 06:19
Calculate the difference between a 3+ armour save and a 5+ armour save and a 4+ ward save when there's no modifiers. ;)

*Hint: They're the same.*

Oh, I forgot about Phoenix Guard heavy armour *facepalm*

Pichamorena
27-02-2009, 07:36
Both.

I like infantry, and elves have very powerfull infantry units.

12-14 white lions in 2 files and 10-14 phoenyx guard with korhil, and you have a very very solid defensive line. Use forest araund, and take a weight cavalery with ellyrion standard and you get a dangerous tramp por the enemy.