PDA

View Full Version : Why did they get rid of the Tau Megaforce?

Captain Micha
26-02-2009, 13:24
And the Crisis suit boxes? (the one where you got lots of suits)

This makes no sense. All of the other popular armies still have something more valuable than a mere battleforce.

What did the Tau do to GW? Why did we lose -both- options and are now stuck with the crappy battleforce?

Sholto
26-02-2009, 14:11
A lot of these boxes were for Apoc formations, but they were all for a limited time only, I seem to remember. I might be wrong, but I don't think Tau are being singled out here.

Would be nice if I could still get a Skysweep Missile Defence wing, though.

Sholto

Captain Micha
26-02-2009, 14:14
The Megaforce had come out long before Apoc had, I notice the Smurfs of both spikey and non, the Eldar, and even the Ig all have things that are better than the battleforce.

Even the Necrons have something that's better than the Battleforce.

So what gives?

boogle
26-02-2009, 14:28
Sales figures probably

Captain Micha
26-02-2009, 14:35
That doesn't explain why Necrons get more special deals :p

laudarkul
26-02-2009, 14:39
Perhaps the Necron's future sound more interesting then Tau's....

The Orange
26-02-2009, 14:47
Your not talking about the limited release ones that came out when the new codex came out (with the LE ethereals) are you?

If not, could be that they only made so many and simply ran out. Maybe they need to go print off a few more of those big boxes, but they may think the cost isn't worth it.

Mojaco
26-02-2009, 14:53
He means the awesome box with 3 piranhas and an allround good selection of models in it.

I'm not sure where it went. I wanted one half a year ago and it was gone then too. I always liked that box as it was 35% off or something on the same stuff bought seperatly. Before apoc boxes that was rare.

Captain Micha
26-02-2009, 14:56
He means the awesome box with 3 piranhas and an allround good selection of models in it.

I'm not sure where it went. I wanted one half a year ago and it was gone then too. I always liked that box as it was 35% off or something on the same stuff bought seperatly. Before apoc boxes that was rare.

Yeah this would be the one!

A friend and I bought it when it first came out and split it in half. I needed stuff to "finish" my Tau army, and now that we are coming back to 40k after a year break from it we wanted to buy another Megaforce, or the Crisis Suit Teams box and split it.

I have also noticed that the Firewarriors and Devilfish deal is also gone.... :wtf:

WildWeasel
26-02-2009, 15:17
Yeah, pretty much all of the larger boxes, esp most of the Apoc formations, are limited availability.

Though the Tau hardly get a raw deal, as their battleforce box is one of the best values, with roughly $135 of models in the box.

Captain Micha
26-02-2009, 15:27
Then why do the other armies have these Megaforce grade deal boxes? (The ones that are actually you know..popular)

WildWeasel
26-02-2009, 15:35
Then why do the other armies have these Megaforce grade deal boxes? (The ones that are actually you know..popular)

The limited availability doesn't mean "Until X date" but "Until we sell out, cause we only printed Y of the box." So for Marines, probably because they are popular enough to keep producing. For everyone else, it's just GW still has those given boxes in stock cause they aren't selling through as fast as others.

Keep in mind that, when it comes to printing, economy of scale matters a lot. Big boxes like that are going to be pretty expensive to print (as such things go), and need a minimum threshold to really make it worthwhile. If Megabox X isn't selling steadily enough to justify it, it doesn't get reprinted. Not to mention issues with SKU proliferation and having to warehouse/retail display a bunch of huge boxes.

In the case of something like the Tau one, it was good enough deal that it sold out, but not steadily enough to make reissuing it worthwhile. Especially since Tau sales have probably slipped, as they are regarded as one of the weaker armies.

Captain Micha
26-02-2009, 15:47
The Necrons gained one that wasn't there, and they're aren't exactly Gw best sellers (though I bet they outsell DE five or six to one). Did the Tau get a "5e 200 dollar" package that sold out already?

a squig
26-02-2009, 16:11
i think these "apoc deals" are limted numbers, but with the new apoc realses later in the year they re-do a few of the better selling boxes. so you may get the box force in the nxt few months. :)

what do u mean better boxes? all armies get battleforces, and special ones when realsed in new like a spearhead (but i think they have stoped these as well now). And what your local store has in stock left over from the release. Iam only aware of the battleforce for the necrons what have you found for them. :)

WildWeasel
26-02-2009, 16:27
The Necrons gained one that wasn't there, and they're aren't exactly Gw best sellers (though I bet they outsell DE five or six to one). Did the Tau get a "5e 200 dollar" package that sold out already?

AFAIK, the Warrior Phalanx was offered as part of the mass of Apoc boxes, and has just lingered. It may also be a matter of GW has a bunch of leftover Necrons they want to move out, and not so much left over Tau.

Captain Micha
26-02-2009, 16:32
i think these "apoc deals" are limted numbers, but with the new apoc realses later in the year they re-do a few of the better selling boxes. so you may get the box force in the nxt few months. :)

what do u mean better boxes? all armies get battleforces, and special ones when realsed in new like a spearhead (but i think they have stoped these as well now). And what your local store has in stock left over from the release. Iam only away of the battleforce for the necrons what have you found for them. :)

Things like the Necron Warrior Phalanx, The Chaos Renegade Strike Force, and the Space Marine Strike forces. I'm curious as to why the Tau did not get one of these, yet "For the new edition of 40k we have put together some fantastic army sets". If the Necrons are merited as being popular enough for this why weren't the Tau done? I've met far more Tau players than I have fellow Necron players.

Though if it's an inventory thing with the crons I can understand that.

Also I don't have a Friendly Local Gamestore. :cries: Everything I get is through online order from their website or other sources.