PDA

View Full Version : Angmar and WOTR

Boss Zagstruk
26-02-2009, 20:13
Does anyone know what Angmar will be like in WOTR? Angmar has always been my favorite evil army ever since i bought the source book. Sadly ive never collected an Angmar army because i can never decide what to include in an army. Truthfully id include lots of everything and thats hard to fit into 500pts or 750pts.

I also have a question, how do trolls function in WOTR? Do they function individually or can they rank up using the cav bases?

No one seems to know nothing about angmar :( i just want to know something about the army so i can start buying :)

thanks

thorgrim
26-02-2009, 20:55
As far as i know Angmar is included in the Mordor section of the book. At least thats where the Witch King is. There is also a list for the Misty Mountains which is goblins and dragons etc. So to do a pure Angmar list i would say that is just depends on appropiate selections from the Mordor list. Normal Orcs, unridden Wargs and Trolls would be the most appropiate in my opinion.

As to Trolls they fight on there own. But as monsters they get to strike before cavalry and infantry and also benefit from the hard to kill rule. Basically if enough damage is caused to hurt them you roll on a table to see if they die with most results making later rolls easier.

Marauder
26-02-2009, 21:04
I read somewhere that Angmar definitely has its own list. Its one of the 5 evil factions being: Mordor, Angmar, Misty Mountains, Isengard and the Fallen Realms (evil men).

Steam_Giant
26-02-2009, 21:24
They also get lots of spirit forces (army of the dead) and..... werewolves !!! My local GW manager reckons they have rules and stats so the models must be to follow ?!

Im thinking about an army of Angmar too.

Joewrightgm
26-02-2009, 23:03
With Angmar, common units include Orc warbands, which are identical across Angmar, Mordor, and Isengard.

The rub gets to be the fact that they get things like Spectres, Barrow Wights, Ghostly Legion and Ghostly Riders (army of the dead and riders of the dead), as well as the aforementioned Werewolves.

Curiously enough, they also get Barbarians of Carn Dum, who seem like solid line infantry but they are subject to the Berserk rule, basically making them hit way harder.

I picture the Angmar list being relativly small in model count, but with wounding on courage and with most units causing Terror, being a real pig to face, especially if your common choices are normal men with fairly good armor.

The fact that they can also move through terrain with no penalty means that opposing commanders and even Angmar commanders will have to think outside the box with how to use and destroy the ghosts.

Also, Army of the Dead models should ideally be the core because while expensive, they are worth every point spent and their position as core makes it a no brainer.

Also, Trolls in War are treated as 'monsters', units that do not have to move in a movement tray, and if used well, they can really give people a beating.

Boss Zagstruk
27-02-2009, 10:23
Thanks for that! i think im gonna start buying. I think ill start with some nice heroes first :) Will they be removing anything that was in the ruin of arnor book or just adding to it?

Steam_Giant
27-02-2009, 11:50
I think im going to start with the Mordor Warhost (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1430021&prodId=prod1690045&rootCatGameStyle=) as that will give me 2 trolls and loads of Orc'ies. I already have the Witch king model(s) so will be looking to expand it with the army of the dead, barrow wights and werewolves. Then decide if im gonna pack the list with dribbling mosters or go for siege engines.

Also Boss Zagstruk, you should check out this page (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=&categoryId=cat1290003&pIndex=5&aId=11200004&start=6) for an example of an Angmar force.

Boss Zagstruk
27-02-2009, 12:17
Yah ive seen that army and i dont feel its a great looking angmar force. Looks more like a mordor force and thats what made me ask the question.

What draws me to angmar is the witch king and all the spirits, the beasties such as Buhrdur, Gulavhar,cave trolls, warg chieftains and wargs. And ofc the manditory lashings of orcs.

Not seige bows and mordor trolls. Although i must admit i do like the morgul stalkers.

Joewrightgm
27-02-2009, 14:20
@ Zagstruk: From what I can tell, they took nothing away but added alot in the way of the Ghost Legion and Ghost Riders and Werewolves.

AngelofSorrow
27-02-2009, 17:18
Ghostly Legions and Riders are identical to Army of the Dead

Spectres make enemy units in BTB contact take a Courage Check if they fail they will be reduced to S 1 for the rest of the turn

Hits caused by Barrow Wights will cause a casualty regardless of the targets resilience

Shades reduce ALL formations within 12" to fight 2 (yes this includes friendlies)

to big heroes are gulavhar and Buhrdur

VeriNasti
28-02-2009, 06:50
Had a quick glimpse over the rules manual - Gulavahar 200pts, Bhudur 120pts i think
Angmar looks pretty tough now - an army worth doing

Joewrightgm
28-02-2009, 14:29
also a numerically small army which is a small mercy for evil players!

Joewrightgm
03-03-2009, 02:35
Also, I think that Angmar has officially the most Berserk units in the game. Barbarians of Carn Dum who are 30 pts a company and are ok for all that and having shields and hand weapons, and Werewolves which are 120 pts for a rare company that makes the baby Jesus cry when it attacks.

Squidboy
03-03-2009, 13:46
Angmar is the army I'm hoping to do - I'm chuffed that from the sounds of things I won't be painting till 2020...

Simon Sez
03-03-2009, 15:30
These Barbarians of Carn Dum; any ideas whether they are entirely new, or are they a renamed unit like AotD/Ghostly Legion?

Does Angmar still have Wild/White Wargs or have they been removed?

DrMabutu
03-03-2009, 16:16
Simon Sez

Warriors of Cairn-Dum are an entirely new unit.
Also wild wargs are now in the misty mountains list.

Joewrightgm
03-03-2009, 16:21
They are brand new statline with no good/evil bi-fold like AotD/Ghostly Legion.

If I remember correctly, they had a fairly blase stat line with shields, hand weapons, armor and I'm not sure but F 4, but they have the Berserk rule.

Angmar doesn't have them, but Misty Mountains does; in fact, they're pretty good because they're cavalry with the prowler rule.

The comfort for you is that you get Ghostly riders, who are cavarly that ignores terrain and rolls to wound against courage. BOO YA.

Also, you can get Spectres, Barrow Kings, and Werewolves who have an amazing statline and generally look like they can devour the enemy.

Oh, and Shades are monsters that reduce everyone within 12 inches to Fight 2.

Reinholt
04-03-2009, 00:40
Keep in mind for Angmar the following are all true:

- You have several of the Nazghul (Witch King, most notably) available in the Angmar list.

- You can ally in forces from the Misty Mountains list (or any of the evil lists, but specifically Misty Mountains with regard to previous comments) to round out a lot of the rough edges in the Angmar list (like wargs), so if there is a specific unit you want for character reasons, you can poach it.

- The ability to take undead units as mainline troops means that Angmar, at least without an orc heavy list, is probably going to be one of the most unconventional armies to play against in the game.