PDA

View Full Version : Elysians- D99 or standard?

cortejri
26-02-2009, 22:35
Hello everybody

I have a few elysians that i have been very slowly picking up from forgeworld, just love the idea of an airborne army, and now with the plastic valk coming out.. im even happier as they will be cheaper to do up right :)

Question is though, which army list do most people run? regular elysians or the d99 group?

I dont know too much about the two armies, i prefer to spend money on models and not the books as of yet, i am aware that d99 detachments are a more elite, small force, probably always outnumbered and require quite a bit of finesse to play, but ive heard the same of the regular army list.

Any comments/suggestion, personal experiences etc.. would be appreciated

boogle
26-02-2009, 23:21
I had enough models to run both, so that's what i would suggest.

I started with the standard Elysian list and then when the D-99 came out i adapted it and just lost my Commissars (it does work out quite expensive points wise however, as i have ended up outnumbered by Tau and Marines)

cortejri
27-02-2009, 00:56
I guess my real question, without giving away anything copyrighted, is how much different are the two armies, does one have significantly different or more options than the other? i assumed id do the same as you, eventually running either or, but i want to start with one, then "grow" to the other one, in whichever way that might be.

Col. Tartleton
27-02-2009, 02:20
Elysians are more about the Valkyries, the D99 are about the troops. Elysians are like Clone Troopers, D99 are the ARC Troops. Elysians are just trained men with guns in helicopters who rely on the helicopters and sentinels to do a lot of the damage.

D99 are enhanced super soldiers trained by the best for use by the Ordo Xenos. As such the helicopters are more of a way to deliver them to the fight and soften the enemy rather than the integral part of the formation that they are for Elysian drop troops.

JChild
27-02-2009, 06:22
cortejri,
I too fell in love with the Elysians and an air cavalry army. If I can get my camera to work I'll post my Elysians. The answer to your question about the differences between a standard and a D99 army is squad formation. The D99 army is an elite army that uses veterans as troop choices and single squads as troop choices. Whereas the standard Elysian army uses a junior command squad and your traditional guard formation (3-5 troops). There are also a few more differences that are explained in Imperial Armours 3 & 4. The books are definitely worth it if you are getting in to an Elysian army. Also, the exchange rate is really good right now (it's cheapest in years). Good luck on your army. If you have more questions, I'll check back in now and again.

Arador
27-02-2009, 08:14
It will be interesting to see if FW will rewrite the Elysians or their other IG rules. I suspect they'll have to re-cost most IAV1 vehicles (and change the AVs for Leman Russ variants). Indeed, they could even do a whole new book, bringing all their IG rules into new-codex compliance.

mughi3
27-02-2009, 10:02
Personally i would go D-99 simply because you get both the valks and the 99s nifty toys/rules. by the time they drop their 5+ save won't matter as much if you have softened up the field some with your flyers.

Alessander
27-02-2009, 17:29
While D-99they are expensive poitns-wise, they can pack a surprising amount of heavy weapons in a very small roster. I think they can pack the most heavy weapons in a 400 point list, from what I remember.

Deamon-forge
27-02-2009, 18:09
For my Elysians i have gone standard from IA3, and most squads with Valk's, onlygot 3 Valk's at mo, so more when mr plastic is out, I liked the D-99 list but preferd the Standard.

cortejri
28-02-2009, 00:29
Ok, well, plunge is taken, just ordered the IA4 book for the d99 list and a pair of combat squads and a command squad to start off with. i think im going to slowly pick up infantry over the next few months then splurge on Valkyries when they come out in plastic.

I have been meaning to start a project log for all my stuff, i think this might finally be the excuse to take the pictures and start the writing :)

mughi3
28-02-2009, 06:11
Excellent, we look forward to seeing it.

i also like the 99s because i play with the inquisition which the D-99 are attached to.

Say it withme now-"las cutter" IG with a strength 10 close combat weapon against immobile tanks.
:evilgrin:

cortejri
28-02-2009, 21:10
Ive heard of the las cutter, but it didnt particularly make sense, i can see it as a sort of cool fluff option, but why would you take one over, say a melta? Isnt it, in simple terms, an uber-powerfist that doesnt work against anything that isnt immobile? or am i missing something?